Is Respiratory Therapy worth it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

23 months ago

JRB2016 in Mobile, Alabama said: I want to know is studying respiratory care going to be worth it in the end. Am i going to be able to make good money(upper middle class)? Is the job stressful? Or boring?

Good luck finding a job! It took me 2 years for a per diem job. I am an RRT-NPS with PALS.

My per diem job is 12 hour night shifts. The pay is great, but the job is less than to be desired of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

14 months ago

HappyListner,

You have a great attitude, more folks working in healthcare need your positive outlook and energy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

UnemployedRRT in Thibodaux, Louisiana

5 months ago

There are no jobs in respiratory. Its a garbage field that nobody cares about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

sftballslh in Lincoln, Nebraska

5 months ago

I like being an RT. I was in another job for 6 years and after seeing how that was going decided to go back to school. I was lucky and was hired for the first job I applied for. I do DME work and really enjoy it because I get to do a lot of different things. I'm sure it helps since I am at a smaller family run business and my opinion is heard and taken seriously. Unlike the last poster it is not a garbage field and I believe in it. I am hoping some day soon the insurance companies will take us seriously and let us do home care to keep patients out of the hospital who don't need to be there. Keep your head up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

P jung in Keller, Texas

4 months ago

UnemployedRRT in Thibodaux, Louisiana said: There are no jobs in respiratory. Its a garbage field that nobody cares about.

Its really hard to get job on this field !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

HappyRT;) in Chula Vista, California

4 months ago

UnemployedRRT in Thibodaux, Louisiana said: There are no jobs in respiratory. Its a garbage field that nobody cares about.

Terrible attitude. Hence your unemployed status. I enjoy what I do as a Respiratory Therapist and have happily remained gainfully employed since 1997. Due to the abundance of RTs, employers tend to be extremely selective. There are jobs available for the right RT with the right attitude. Attend seminars and conventions, as networking and referrals can be advantageous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

P jung in Keller, Texas said: Its really hard to get job on this field !!

It may be difficult, but not impossible. Stay positive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

sftballslh in Lincoln, Nebraska said: I like being an RT. I was in another job for 6 years and after seeing how that was going decided to go back to school. I was lucky and was hired for the first job I applied for. I do DME work and really enjoy it because I get to do a lot of different things. I'm sure it helps since I am at a smaller family run business and my opinion is heard and taken seriously. Unlike the last poster it is not a garbage field and I believe in it. I am hoping some day soon the insurance companies will take us seriously and let us do home care to keep patients out of the hospital who don't need to be there. Keep your head up.

I enjoy working as an RT as well. This is my second career. I worked 10 years in the Graphics field and after experiencing my third lay off, due to company downsizing, loss of contracts and revenue, I knew I needed a more stable career. My Mom who worked as a Medical Technologist suggested Respiratory Therapy. She was a very wise woman. I love what I do. This past Friday February 27, 2015 is just one example of my many wonderful experiences since 1997 when I became a licensed Respiratory Therapist, a Cardiology staff member came to our Pulmonary Department looking for the RT(me) who cared for a patient and deliver a chicken pot pie from him as a thank you gift. Affirming, I make a difference. Enjoy the journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

HKD in Naperville, Illinois

1 month ago

I enjoyed this field. After about 6 years as a chef and then being a nursing student who worked as a PCT, I currently enjoying being a RRT. I was able to land a full time position at one of the biggest hospitals in Chicagoland area as soon as I passed my Clinical Sims. Some days are very tough but the teamwork is amazing and everyone is willing to help each other if they can.

Hospital positions are hard to get into but that is true with any position within a hospital. You just need to get your name out there and face. It's all about who you know and how you present yourself at clinicals and during school. Trust me.... they remember you if you did clinicals there especially if you were seen as negative

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.