Is Respiratory Therapy worth it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

37 months ago

JRB2016 in Mobile, Alabama said: I want to know is studying respiratory care going to be worth it in the end. Am i going to be able to make good money(upper middle class)? Is the job stressful? Or boring?

Good luck finding a job! It took me 2 years for a per diem job. I am an RRT-NPS with PALS.

My per diem job is 12 hour night shifts. The pay is great, but the job is less than to be desired of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

28 months ago

HappyListner,

You have a great attitude, more folks working in healthcare need your positive outlook and energy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

UnemployedRRT in Thibodaux, Louisiana

19 months ago

There are no jobs in respiratory. Its a garbage field that nobody cares about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

sftballslh in Lincoln, Nebraska

19 months ago

I like being an RT. I was in another job for 6 years and after seeing how that was going decided to go back to school. I was lucky and was hired for the first job I applied for. I do DME work and really enjoy it because I get to do a lot of different things. I'm sure it helps since I am at a smaller family run business and my opinion is heard and taken seriously. Unlike the last poster it is not a garbage field and I believe in it. I am hoping some day soon the insurance companies will take us seriously and let us do home care to keep patients out of the hospital who don't need to be there. Keep your head up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

P jung in Keller, Texas

18 months ago

UnemployedRRT in Thibodaux, Louisiana said: There are no jobs in respiratory. Its a garbage field that nobody cares about.

Its really hard to get job on this field !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

HappyRT;) in Chula Vista, California

18 months ago

UnemployedRRT in Thibodaux, Louisiana said: There are no jobs in respiratory. Its a garbage field that nobody cares about.

Terrible attitude. Hence your unemployed status. I enjoy what I do as a Respiratory Therapist and have happily remained gainfully employed since 1997. Due to the abundance of RTs, employers tend to be extremely selective. There are jobs available for the right RT with the right attitude. Attend seminars and conventions, as networking and referrals can be advantageous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

HappyRT;) in Chula Vista, California

18 months ago

P jung in Keller, Texas said: Its really hard to get job on this field !!

It may be difficult, but not impossible. Stay positive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

HappyRT;) in Chula Vista, California

16 months ago

sftballslh in Lincoln, Nebraska said: I like being an RT. I was in another job for 6 years and after seeing how that was going decided to go back to school. I was lucky and was hired for the first job I applied for. I do DME work and really enjoy it because I get to do a lot of different things. I'm sure it helps since I am at a smaller family run business and my opinion is heard and taken seriously. Unlike the last poster it is not a garbage field and I believe in it. I am hoping some day soon the insurance companies will take us seriously and let us do home care to keep patients out of the hospital who don't need to be there. Keep your head up.

I enjoy working as an RT as well. This is my second career. I worked 10 years in the Graphics field and after experiencing my third lay off, due to company downsizing, loss of contracts and revenue, I knew I needed a more stable career. My Mom who worked as a Medical Technologist suggested Respiratory Therapy. She was a very wise woman. I love what I do. This past Friday February 27, 2015 is just one example of my many wonderful experiences since 1997 when I became a licensed Respiratory Therapist, a Cardiology staff member came to our Pulmonary Department looking for the RT(me) who cared for a patient and deliver a chicken pot pie from him as a thank you gift. Affirming, I make a difference. Enjoy the journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HKD in Naperville, Illinois

16 months ago

I enjoyed this field. After about 6 years as a chef and then being a nursing student who worked as a PCT, I currently enjoying being a RRT. I was able to land a full time position at one of the biggest hospitals in Chicagoland area as soon as I passed my Clinical Sims. Some days are very tough but the teamwork is amazing and everyone is willing to help each other if they can.

Hospital positions are hard to get into but that is true with any position within a hospital. You just need to get your name out there and face. It's all about who you know and how you present yourself at clinicals and during school. Trust me.... they remember you if you did clinicals there especially if you were seen as negative

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

bradleyrtstudent in minneapolis, Minnesota

14 months ago

HKD in Naperville, Illinois said: I enjoyed this field. After about 6 years as a chef and then being a nursing student who worked as a PCT, I currently enjoying being a RRT. I was able to land a full time position at one of the biggest hospitals in Chicagoland area as soon as I passed my Clinical Sims. Some days are very tough but the teamwork is amazing and everyone is willing to help each other if they can.

You're in the chicago area?

Would you mind if I asked what the pay is like in that area, im considering a relocation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Keith5699 in Fullerton, California

3 months ago

How's the job market for new grads now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Grants Pass, Oregon

2 months ago

In Oregon, the market is great. I took my boards 6 months early and I was hired immediately upon passing my clin sim. I got full-time hours with benefits while I still finish 6 months of clinical hours for my bachelors degree. So I work three 12 hour shifts/week as a student and three 12 hr shifts/wk as an employee. Our health system is hiring like crazy too. I think it just depends on the region of the country you're in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sheryl in Duluth, Minnesota

2 months ago

For all the young generation of RT's out there. I got caught up on all these stories on this forum. I am in my 60's. I retired from hospital work some years ago. I graduated from RT school in 1976!! If any of you think the pay is poor now, you should have been around back then! I am also one of the odd ones-I went to nursing college first. Yes, I know- you say,what??? I found that a 4 yr grad of Nursing was expected back then to be a supervisor,do all the paper work,etc. I wanted hands on. I instead joined the Army and got lots of hands on in the medical field. I worked in the OR, which I loved. But again wanted something different. Back then, it was called IT--Inhalation Therapy.
I went BACK to college for RT. Got my degree, took the ORAL boards! Took a few tries before passing. Found jobs everywhere. (we moved around). Finally settled in Minnesota. at this point in my life I look back and I worked majority night shifts. Probably 35 years. RT has changed over the years. Nursing has changed. So my advice for all you just getting into it. Move, change,find a place you like, a job you like. For anyone that does not like the pay, the hours, do something else. Because in the end it shows in your patient care. There are people out there that truly enjoy RT. Now I still keep my license and do part time work as a home care therapist, teaching people, and caring for them. I love it. So for all of you. Find your niche.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

curious in Chicago, Illinois

2 months ago

HKD in Naperville, Illinois said: I enjoyed this field. After about 6 years as a chef and then being a nursing student who worked as a PCT, I currently enjoying being a RRT. I was able to land a full time position at one of the biggest hospitals in Chicagoland area as soon as I passed my Clinical Sims. Some days are very tough but the teamwork is amazing and everyone is willing to help each other if they can.

Hospital positions are hard to get into but that is true with any position within a hospital. You just need to get your name out there and face. It's all about who you know and how you present yourself at clinicals and during school. Trust me.... they remember you if you did clinicals there especially if you were seen as negative

I am interested in the field and I have an interview for programs in different schools. How ideal is it to work part time and go through the two year program? Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HappyRT:) in San Diego, California

2 months ago

sheryl in Duluth, Minnesota said: Now I still keep my license and do part time work as a home care therapist, teaching people, and caring for them. I love it. So for all of you. Find your niche.

I appreciate your positive attitude. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. As the saying goes, "Do what you love, and love what you do". I am one of the individuals in the field who truly enjoys what I do. Since 1979 when I began working as an RT, I look forward to the exciting adventures each new day brings. Working as an RT provides the variety and autonomy I need. My days are never the same; never boring. I enjoy meeting different and interesting people every day. Knowing I make a difference in someone's life brings joy to my heart. I have patients return to our facility with a chicken pot pie, apple pie, banana bread, etc. for me, or doughnuts, cookies, chocolate candy, etc. in hand to share with my coworkers as a thank you for taking such good care of them. Reaffirming why I do what I do. I absolutely love it. I'm so fortunate to work with an excellent team whose priority is our patients. This is my niche and I wish everyone luck in finding theirs. Enjoy the journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HappyRT:) in San Diego, California

2 months ago

HappyRT:) in San Diego, California said: I appreciate your positive attitude. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. As the saying goes, "Do what you love, and love what you do". I am one of the individuals in the field who truly enjoys what I do. Since 1979 when I began working as an RT, I look forward to the exciting adventures each new day brings. Working as an RT provides the variety and autonomy I need. My days are never the same; never boring. I enjoy meeting different and interesting people every day. Knowing I make a difference in someone's life brings joy to my heart. I have patients return to our facility with a chicken pot pie, apple pie, banana bread, etc. for me, or doughnuts, cookies, chocolate candy, etc. in hand to share with my coworkers as a thank you for taking such good care of them. Reaffirming why I do what I do. I absolutely love it. I'm so fortunate to work with an excellent team whose priority is our patients. This is my niche and I wish everyone luck in finding theirs. Enjoy the journey.

Oops, it seems I have dyslexia. That was suppose to read, Since 1997 when I began working as an RT; not 1979.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

When in doubt, Intubate! in Roselle, Illinois

1 month ago

bradleyrtstudent in minneapolis, Minnesota said:

The Chicago suburbs are averaging 20-25 with benefits. Around 30 as needed positions. For the city, it increases to around 28-34 with benefits and closer to 40 as needed. Of course this will vary with how big the hospital is or if its a tiny location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.