Job Outlook for Respiratory Therapist Students from California College San Diego.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Grant Dumas in Escondido, California

13 months ago

I just retired from the Navy and I am looking for a new career. I was looking at Respiratory Therapy programs. I know Grossmont is considered one of the best but it would take about a year to get into the program since I don't have Chem/Bio. California College doesn't require the pre-reqs as they are included in the program. Has anyone here graduated from the California College R/T program and found employment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EducateThemAll in Lakeside, California

12 months ago

Hey Grant, I wish you luck getting started! Please keep in mind that California College San Diego is considered sub-par program. They are a for-profit and not regionally accredited. I suggest avoiding any school with a heavy marketing in day time tv, and do a program where the classes you take can be transferred to other good institutions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

I spoke to someone in HR at a local hospital and asked if they ever hire people out of California College. She said they did and that CC rt program has improved. Also my neighbor is a retired RT. He said Grossmont is more theory and CC is more hands one. He worked with graduates from both and you get good and bad from both schools.
I do know the school is not regionally accredited so if I want to transfer credits it will be nearly impossible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brandy Rae in San Diego, California

11 months ago

Hi Grant,

Have you made a decision on what school you will be attending and have you started yet?

I am researching a ton of schools and I'm trying to get as much info from anyone that I can. The best school I've found so far is SJVC in Temecula. It's a private Jr. College, so their isn't a wait list, and the prerequisites are included in the program, however it is WASC accredited, so you can transfer all of your credits to a university, if that's the path you choose. It's something like $40K, but to me, totally worth it.

Anyway, I hope you've had good luck in your search to become a RRT. Please share any advice you may have as well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Brandy,
I wish I have known about the SJVC program. I am just about finished the admission process at CCSD (San Marcos). The school does lack regional accreditation but the A.S R/T program is CoArc accredited. The program is around 49K but I have the GiBill so no out of pocket expense.
Just curious, do you know when the next classes begin at SJVC?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brandy Rae in San Diego, California

11 months ago

Hey Grant,

I just got off the phone with the admissions rep and I have an appt to go check out the school tomorrow. This school only has two start days per year, and the next start date is June 17th, and they still have spots available. After that, the start date won't be until January, so if you haven't started with CCSD, you may want to look into SJVC. Their tuition is $43K, but since you have a GiBill, you won't have to worry about coming up with the funds. Also, this school is CoARC, too. It's 18 months long and you'll get your A.S. and be able to transfer all of your credits to a UC, if you choose to go that route.

I will let you know absolutely everything I learn tomorrow when I speak to the Admin Rep.

When do classes start at CCSD? If things don't work out with SJVC (but I REALLY hope they do) CCSD is my next choice. I'm really not too worried about the tuition because what we're getting out of it is so valuable.

Talk to you soon!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.