Job opportunities/ advice for RRT in North Texas

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Paul in Irving, Texas

12 months ago

I am a RRT in Dallas tx. I graduated from school in 2010 and haven't been able to get a job in respiratory care anywhere! I currently am working as a sleep tech because I was told that my experience there would count at a local staffing agency but have found out after doing my year that what I was told wasn't true.

I am finding myself in an irritating place that I know a lot of others have experienced but I am out of ideas. I have gotten my CRT, RRT, BLS, ACLS, I got my state licenses up to date but no where will hire me due to lack of experience but yet no where will give me a foot in the door!! I don't want to keep spending money on what seem to be useless certs and classes when it doesn't mean anything to anyone in hospitals at the moment and I don't want to keep doing sleep forever either.

Does anyone have any ideas or places I can turn to? Idk maybe I'm just stuck like everyone else but hell I gotta pay these student loans off eventually so I figure I should keep trying lol!!

Thanks all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there

12 months ago

So trying to understand:
RRT ,live in Dallas area? That whole area as far as I know only hires RRT, so is it the lack of true experience in a hospital or overall all around respiratory experience? Also you work agency and they told you what again? Anyone telling you working in sleep was wrong, now any and most needs for a sleep tech you must have your cert from the NBRC. But then I can understand that you no longer want to work nights etc. I assume you have applied at Baylor, Presbyterian and all the others.
Also for most that do not understand that this site(Indeed) has old postings for jobs, most are recycled. www.ahd.com/state_statistics.html this is a list of all the hospitals by state , go to all of them for Texas and you will see the needs.
Also there are a lot of agencies in the Dallas area, talk to them about your situation , but still thinking its due to lack of true RT experience but working an agency doing nothing but Respiratory not sleep will get you in even PRN at any facility. Again Dallas and even FT Worth, Denton, Sherman, Tyler etc

More advice or help let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Irving, Texas

11 months ago

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there said: So trying to understand:
RRT ,live in Dallas area? That whole area as far as I know only hires RRT, so is it the lack of true experience in a hospital or overall all around respiratory experience? Also you work agency and they told you what again? Anyone telling you working in sleep was wrong, now any and most needs for a sleep tech you must have your cert from the NBRC. But then I can understand that you no longer want to work nights etc. I assume you have applied at Baylor, Presbyterian and all the others.
Also for most that do not understand that this site(Indeed) has old postings for jobs, most are recycled. www.ahd.com/state_statistics.html this is a list of all the hospitals by state , go to all of them for Texas and you will see the needs.
Also there are a lot of agencies in the Dallas area, talk to them about your situation , but still thinking its due to lack of true RT experience but working an agency doing nothing but Respiratory not sleep will get you in even PRN at any facility. Again Dallas and even FT Worth, Denton, Sherman, Tyler etc

More advice or help let me know.

Yes, at least it seems that my main issue is lack of true experience in respiratory outside of school period. I have tried talking to a few staffing agencies in the area and none of them can use me because of my lack of experience and contractual obligations.

Ive tried DME companies, home health, anything that I can think of to get a foot in the door but it seems like ATI and other schools over saturated the market with people like me. lol and of course the school shut down so I cant even get job placement anymore with them.

Any advice or help on how or where to get my foot in the door? LOL btw if your last name starts with a C and you where who my mind first thought you where... that would totally blow my mind haha

FredHealth in Houston, Texas

11 months ago

You need to add old school job hunting to your strategy. You need to dress appropriately, carry resumes & envelopes in a leather folio, and have a verbal script ready for medical folks you encounter. Hit hospitals, hit clinics. Expect lots of "can't help you" & " you need to apply at xyz website ". However, you will be encountering people, most uncaring, a few willing to forward your resume to the " decision-maker ". This is a challege for introverts such as myself. A sales friend, upon hearing my job search is 6 months old, proceeded to punch me in the chest, " you are doing a lazy man's job search!" He is right!

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there

11 months ago

Paul in Irving, Texas said: Yes, at least it seems that my main issue is lack of true experience in respiratory outside of school period. I have tried talking to a few staffing agencies in the area and none of them can use me because of my lack of experience and contractual obligations.

Ive tried DME companies, home health, anything that I can think of to get a foot in the door but it seems like ATI and other schools over saturated the market with people like me. lol and of course the school shut down so I cant even get job placement anymore with them.

Any advice or help on how or where to get my foot in the door? LOL btw if your last name starts with a C and you where who my mind first thought you where... that would totally blow my mind haha

hr.universityhealthsystem.com/visitor_search_results.asp?start=61
The add says they will take a new grad, University is the County/Trauma hosp for SA ,they always have openings.. Not sure how many you have looked at in the Dallas Area but Ft Worth. Also not sure if you are able to move.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.