Need to find job ASAP!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

NJ-UNEMPLOYED in Long Branch, New Jersey

14 months ago

I am a RRT-NPS, RPFT with BLS, ACLS, PALS and NRP with six years in the field. I got laid off from my job doing pulmonary function testing at a doctors office a few months back after setting up the PFT lab and training all the medical assistants on how to perform PFT's.. The doctor I worked for rather pay a medical assistant $10 an hour and break the law by not having a respiratory therapist perform the DLCO test than pay me $30 an hour. My unemployment is running out and if I don't find a job my car gets repossessed, phone shut off and I will be homeless! I am already been forced to go to a soup kitchen everyday to save money. I spend my whole day looking for work with no luck. I have licenses in four different states and have advanced training in performing PFT's and I apply to these hospitals only to be rejected. I don't know what they are looking for in a respiratory therapist they hire? I have every possible crendential from the NBRC, CRT, RRT, NPS, CPFT, RPFT and soon to have the ACCS credential and quess what no job! When I am living at homeless shelter not working I will have plenty of time to reflect on my decision to go into the field of respiratory therapy.If anybody out there has any advice or knows of any job opportunities let me know ASAP. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joeg829 in Paramus, New Jersey

14 months ago

NJ-UNEMPLOYED,

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Are you involved with your professional society? I have heard they are a great resource for networking and job searching; even refreshing your faith in respiratory care. I also see there are job openings at Monmouth Medical Center. Have you applied? Check out hospital websites and get involved.

Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RRT_RPFT in Penasqitos, California

14 months ago

That is a COMMON practice in LA (California) and in SoCal. It has nothing to do with skill/work ethic/positive attitude--it has everything to do with economics and the employer saving money.

Also, talking about relocating (that takes money) to someone staying in a shelter is pretty thoughtless; unless you are willing to front the costs. We have had some of our clinical students end up in shelters and completely homeless--with families--after graduating and doing well in RT Programs. They are struggling to put food in their mouths, let alone have the money to MOVE. Be realistic and not condescending. MANY people were (and are still being) taken in by Private RT School Recruiters.

@RT-UNEMPLOYED: Sending you prayers. May something work out for you as soon as possible!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

outuvstep in Valencia, California

13 months ago

NJ-UNEMPLOYED in Long Branch, New Jersey said: I am a RRT-NPS, RPFT with BLS, ACLS, PALS and NRP with six years in the field. I got laid off from my job doing pulmonary function testing at a doctors office a few months back after setting up the PFT lab and training all the medical assistants on how to perform PFT's.. The doctor I worked for rather pay a medical assistant $10 an hour and break the law by not having a respiratory therapist perform the DLCO test than pay me $30 an hour. My unemployment is running out and if I don't find a job my car gets repossessed, phone shut off and I will be homeless! I am already been forced to go to a soup kitchen everyday to save money. I spend my whole day looking for work with no luck. I have licenses in four different states and have advanced training in performing PFT's and I apply to these hospitals only to be rejected. I don't know what they are looking for in a respiratory therapist they hire? I have every possible crendential from the NBRC, CRT, RRT, NPS, CPFT, RPFT and soon to have the ACCS credential and quess what no job! When I am living at homeless shelter not working I will have plenty of time to reflect on my decision to go into the field of respiratory therapy.If anybody out there has any advice or knows of any job opportunities let me know ASAP. Thanks

I just called Mediscan registry in Newbury Park, CA today looking for a job and they said they are really in need of people that can do PFT's. Its registry work, but could get you into a place that may want to hire you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there

13 months ago

NJ-UNEMPLOYED:

I would take what Mediscan said very Lightly! Mediscan along with a lot of agencies will say they have needs but after you spend hours on there app, checklist, test(s) and them bothering your reference you will find they are resume/body collecting for possible needs.
Also you stated 4 licenses == CA? if not will take 3mo and $300 Plus. Sucks I know.
I would call and agency before any app and time is spent and talk to that recruiter(s) to get it from them and verify the needs. Check every hospital in the States you have and go from there before you spend money on a new license. Also check with local agencies(every state) licensed to see if they have needs or a lead.

13 months ago

NJ-UNEMPLOYED: Also go onto LinkedIn and search for jobs there, seem to be better than here and reliable. Jobs for Respiratory Therapists is the name of the Group.

Kim_H

12 months ago

NJ- I am kinda in the same predicament, 29 years experience along with the creation of a long-term ventilator unit and the transition of it into a LTACH facility, put policies in place, educated staff, hired and fired appropriate staff for unit, created spreadsheets, etc..., etc..., etc...
Took work home with me to get caught up due to spending 2 days in ACLS class. The paperwork (forms to be filled out) was from the second department (Infection Control) I was overseeing, but it was still their property and I was still in the wrong. Pulled retirement money out and am down to less than $3,000 with no unemployment. I told my son to decide which side of the bridge was gonna be his. It's right depressing, but I have faith it was all for a reason, I needed to get that extra 20lbs off anyway. Maybe I should start a group home for unemployed healthcare workers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Kim_H said: NJ- I am kinda in the same predicament, 29 years experience along with the creation of a long-term ventilator unit and the transition of it into a LTACH facility, put policies in place, educated staff, hired and fired appropriate staff for unit, created spreadsheets, etc..., etc..., etc...
Took work home with me to get caught up due to spending 2 days in ACLS class. The paperwork (forms to be filled out) was from the second department (Infection Control) I was overseeing, but it was still their property and I was still in the wrong. Pulled retirement money out and am down to less than $3,000 with no unemployment. I told my son to decide which side of the bridge was gonna be his. It's right depressing, but I have faith it was all for a reason, I needed to get that extra 20lbs off anyway. Maybe I should start a group home for unemployed healthcare workers.

Are CRT or RRT? Also 29yrs as RT and un-employed or have you been working all this time or retired when?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.