Options for new RT grads?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 331)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Holly in Grand Rapids, Michigan

101 months ago

I'll be graduating from a Respiratory Therapy program this December. This is a complete career change for me, after 20 years in vocational education. Obviously, I'm not in my twenties! Beginning a whole new chapter in my life is both exciting...and a bit scary! lol I have two concerns right now...one regarding job options for new grads...and one regarding my age. Hopefully, I will not be discriminated against....as with age comes wisdom, maturity, dependability, etc. I know that job discrimination is against the law, but am not ignorant to the fact that it does still happen. Any thoughts or suggestions on this subject?
Right now, I think I'm more concerned with what will be available for me after graduation (and the CRT/RRT exams, of course). In my area, there are two RT programs "producing" new graduates each year. I'm afraid there won't be enough jobs to accommodate the over-saturation. Because of this, I've been looking into working as a travel RT. I have nothing to keep me from traveling (single, no young children)...and it really appeals to my sense of adventure and desire to see the rest of the country! The problem is....so far, it appears as though one must have at least 1 year of clinical experience before qualifying to work as a travel healthcare professional. I totally understand the rationale behind this...but am now wondering where and how I'll be able to gain this experience. SSince I do have a home and family here...I'm hoping to keep my "base camp" here. Any thoughts, suggestions, past experiences, or information...would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

RRT in Dearborn Heights, Michigan

101 months ago

Holly, you won't find a problem getting a job anywhere in Michigan if you attain your RRT after graduation. There is no shortage of sick people, only RRT's to take care of them. You can pretty much write your own ticket. I don't care if you are 20 or 60, you will find a job if you can demonstrate the knowledge needed to perform the job.

Reply - Report abuse

ayvieq in Aliso Viejo, California

101 months ago

azmina kanji in Los Angeles, California said: call me or send me your resume if you are interested in a stable job, working with the elderly in an outpatient set up
requirements:
YOU MUST be a fantastic people personality, work well with an established team and be very patient and compassionate
excellent setting
if you have an RRT it is a plus

email me

Hi kanji, can you also help me, im looking for a job here in california, graduate of bachelor of science in Respiratory Therapy from other country, and havent take RRT yet here, planning to, but dont know how to start. currently looking for a job. can you email me in ayvie03@yahoo.com

Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

RRT in Dearborn Heights, Michigan said: Holly, you won't find a problem getting a job anywhere in Michigan if you attain your RRT after graduation. There is no shortage of sick people, only RRT's to take care of them. You can pretty much write your own ticket. I don't care if you are 20 or 60, you will find a job if you can demonstrate the knowledge needed to perform the job.

Thank you, RRT from Dearborn Heights....I really appreciate your words of encouragement! It's good to hear that there are still jobs available in Michigan, at least in healthcare, right? ;)

Reply - Report abuse

walter estrada in Lake Worth, Florida

99 months ago

im a certified respiratory therapist . i live in miami florida . im looking for a job as an CRT. but im a litle scared since i'm a new graduate .... where can i get some good experience as a respiratory therapist??

Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Duluth, Georgia

99 months ago

walter estrada in Lake Worth, Florida said: im a certified respiratory therapist . i live in miami florida . im looking for a job as an CRT. but im a litle scared since i'm a new graduate .... where can i get some good experience as a respiratory therapist??

Walter,
Are you interested in pediatric home care... it takes a special person to want to work in homecare, but if your interested I would love to get you in for an interview with my company. Contact me via email minorswest@gmail.com

P.S. the position is located in Miami,Fl.

Reply - Report abuse

aoxygen in Chesapeake, Virginia

98 months ago

I just recieved my CRT license in the mail, this past week. Prior to recieving my license, I applied to several positions in the hampton roads. I have not had any luck in finding a respiratory therapy job. Do I have to apply to other hospitals in other states just to get a CRT job? Why is it so difficult to find a CRT job when there's suppose to be a shortage of RT's? 7months prior to graduation, I had an interview with a large medical group in the hampton roads area, they told me that my personality will fit good in the department, but I got a call stating that I was not experienced enough. Well, duhhhhhhhhh, I'm a new grad, what are you people looking for, experienced? Someone please help a girl out who wants to work as a RT!

Reply - Report abuse

gurnellrcp_crt in Paramount, California

97 months ago

azmina kanji in Los Angeles, California said: call me or send me your resume if you are interested in a stable job, working with the elderly in an outpatient set up
requirements:
YOU MUST be a fantastic people personality, work well with an established team and be very patient and compassionate
excellent setting
if you have an RRT it is a plus

email me

check out my profile. i'm in need for stable work; since, registry work does not qualify towards RRT eligibility,

Reply - Report abuse

james in Minneapolis, Minnesota

97 months ago

im an RRT currently working full time in minneapolis, mn , but my girl moved to sacramento, califorina. i was thinking to move but i cant find stable job as an RRT in sacramento ca. can some body help me where i should look for a job please i have little over three years of experince. thanks

Reply - Report abuse

elliottdent@*****.*** in Goose Creek, South Carolina

97 months ago

I'am CRT/RRT elligible seeking a position as RCP. Looking To relocate has NYC,S.C license.

Reply - Report abuse

elliottdent@*****.*** in Goose Creek, South Carolina

97 months ago

Seeking position as CRT/RRT elligible

Reply - Report abuse

amybaydoun in Dearborn, Michigan

97 months ago

Looking for CRT to hire, contact me for more information at phoenixmedicaleuipment@yahoo.com
Amy

Reply - Report abuse

bearrt in Chesapeake, Virginia

97 months ago

aoxygen in Chesapeake, Virginia said: I just recieved my CRT license in the mail, this past week. Prior to recieving my license, I applied to several positions in the hampton roads. I have not had any luck in finding a respiratory therapy job. Do I have to apply to other hospitals in other states just to get a CRT job? Why is it so difficult to find a CRT job when there's suppose to be a shortage of RT's? 7months prior to graduation, I had an interview with a large medical group in the hampton roads area, they told me that my personality will fit good in the department, but I got a call stating that I was not experienced enough. Well, duhhhhhhhhh, I'm a new grad, what are you people looking for, experienced? Someone please help a girl out who wants to work as a RT!

Did you graduate from TCC. Just wondering because I am currently in the program and all you hear is that it will not be a problem finding a job in Hampton Roads.

Reply - Report abuse

bozo the RT in Norfolk, Virginia

97 months ago

bearrt in Chesapeake, Virginia said: Did you graduate from TCC. Just wondering because I am currently in the program and all you hear is that it will not be a problem finding a job in Hampton Roads.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem finding a job. I work at Norfolk General and they usually only hire 4 or so from each graduating class. There are jobs at Leigh and Careplex. Leigh is alway short handed.

Reply - Report abuse

bearrt in Chesapeake, Virginia

97 months ago

bozo the RT in Norfolk, Virginia said: You shouldn't have too much of a problem finding a job. I work at Norfolk General and they usually only hire 4 or so from each graduating class. There are jobs at Leigh and Careplex. Leigh is alway short handed.

Thanks for the info, it makes me feel a lot better.

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

bearrt in Chesapeake, Virginia said: Did you graduate from TCC. Just wondering because I am currently in the program and all you hear is that it will not be a problem finding a job in Hampton Roads.

I graduated from Jefferson College of Health Sciences in Roanoke Va. Sentara came to visit and I interviewed with them. They said that I would be a good candidate to join their team. After many phone calls, I was told that I was not experienced enough.

Reply - Report abuse

ConcordeSucks in Los Angeles, California

97 months ago

aoxygen in Chesapeake, Virginia said: I graduated from Jefferson College of Health Sciences in Roanoke Va. Sentara came to visit and I interviewed with them. They said that I would be a good candidate to join their team. After many phone calls, I was told that I was not experienced enough.

New Grad R.T.s are screwed...Im not sure if its the crappy school I went to...Concorde, Garden Grove, CA or Respiratory itself. Im starting to think I should have gone to nursing school instead. I might have made a huge mistake. oh well.

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

ConcordeSucks in Los Angeles, California said: New Grad R.T.s are screwed...Im not sure if its the crappy school I went to...Concorde, Garden Grove, CA or Respiratory itself. Im starting to think I should have gone to nursing school instead. I might have made a huge mistake. oh well.

Respiratory Therapy is one of the growing areas in the medical field. I just think hospitals have a period when they actually hire new grads. I'm going to keep praying and I know something will happen soon. Keep the faiTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Alexia unknown in Los Angeles, California

97 months ago

i really hate respiratory now...man hospital are hiring but they wont hire new grads........only experience...well how am i supposed to have
experience if no hospital will hire me

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

YOU REALLY HAVE TO THINK POSITIVE!!!!!!!!YOU WILL GET HIRED WHEN THE NEW GRADS POSITIONS OPENS UP!!!!!!!!HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

goose23 in Valencia, California

97 months ago

im a bit scared now.. if yu guys are having problems and you graduated i can only imagine how it will be for me in a year and a half... best of luck and please keep me posted when you do get a job.. my friend tat got me on this gig.. or career i should say had a job as soon as he finished.. AND HE WENT TO CONCORDE... howcome when you did your clinicals.. no one called you back from there?? GL.. oh and did you guys use that ketttering program..? im thinking on getting it already just to be prepared.. heh

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

THE KETTERING PROGRAM WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I THINK I LEARNED MORE AT KETTERING THAN THE ENTIRE 2 YEARS OF SCHOOL. KEEP IN MIND, NEW GRAD HIRINGS ARE BETWEEN JAN-JUNE..........BE PATIENT.........YOUR BREAK THRU IS COMING AND SO IS MINE........TAKE CARE!!!!!!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

alexia in Los Angeles, California

97 months ago

yes kettering was very awesome, so all new grad that is a very good option to take, i liked it better at the seminar rather that doing the home study option. Anyways i know i missed my chance to get hired, many of my class mates were able to find jobs after graduation i just had a problem, i didnt take my exams until 3-4 months after graduation and by then no one was hiring new grads. im a so patient, i am patient i am just thankful i have my family to support me finacially in the mean time. I hope this new year i am able to find a job

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

Goose23 in Valencia, CA did you say in an eariler reply you got to LAVC.....hmm if so how is Greg M.? who else are your teachers??

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

alexia in Los Angeles, California said: yes kettering was very awesome, so all new grad that is a very good option to take, i liked it better at the seminar rather that doing the home study option. Anyways i know i missed my chance to get hired, many of my class mates were able to find jobs after graduation i just had a problem, i didnt take my exams until 3-4 months after graduation and by then no one was hiring new grads. im a so patient, i am patient i am just thankful i have my family to support me finacially in the mean time. I hope this new year i am able to find a job

YOU WILL, JUST GET YOUR RESUME FLOODED AT ALL THE FACILITIES. START DOING THAT NEXT MONTH. KEEP ME POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

i will good luck to you too aoxygen

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

THANK YOU AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

You too Happy Holidays....=)!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

hah how did you know... that.. yeah hes my main one ... so far i just finished the pre reqs for RT 1 RT 2 ... but i think theres like u to 16 clasess.. or so.. the applications are being accepted in April.. so i will know then.. but i have been at the school for a couple years... luckily there is not a waiting list... do you know of any books you can get to prepare for the class.. i have the mosbys book on resp equipment... im reading up on that as well.. and for those that took the kettering review.. that one for 360 bucks is a pretty penny seems like its worth it.. do u recommend reading up on it during.. before.. or after the class.. thanks again.. alexia.. you went to jeff college? how was that.. happy holidays... email me some time .. and GL with finding a job.. again i learn soemthing new each time i come here.. i didnt know they had a specific time to hire new grads.. now i know.. and you guys say its around june.. so now i will be prepared.. thanks again and GL

Reply - Report abuse

Alexia in Los Angeles, California

97 months ago

Hey there GOOSE 23...no i went to LAVC. i graduated in June this year. anyways I thought you were already in the actual program, actually theres less than 16 class, i forgot how many, but each semster there is two classes that is only 8 weeks and those are the classes that Greg teaches,yeah there is no waiting list but how many people are in your RT 2 class, i think they only accept 30 students and who ever doesn't get in oh well for them they have to reapply next yr or go to another school. The mosby's resp. equip book is good, also do you have the Egan's fundamentals book, there is a new edition now, but that book is like the bible for RT's it have everything, and you use it for the whole year. Also for kettering we were luck to have the kettering seminar at our school, so if you get in the program next year around like April contact Kettering company on there website and try to get them to come to LAVC for you guys. I personally waited till the guys came out and did the seminar, there was like 2 people that got the books eariler to start reading it, but i think just go through the RT program and get the books when the seminar is and you'll be fine, unless you want to do the home study option, the seminar is great though it helps alot. he points out specific things that repeatedly show up on the exam, and simple rules to follow, he tells you exactly what to highlight and what to focus your attention and what not to waste your time one. anyways happy holidays and good luck with your classes and hopefully you get in the program. if you have any question email me at unknownalexia@yahoo.com

Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

wow alexia i have a ton of questions... and i sure will email you... the other book that i have in my possesion is the foundations of respiratory care from DELMAR ... i have spoken to mr morrision and the entrance is based upon seniority,... since i have most of my gen ed out the way... and most the pre reqs finished like microbiology and chemistry... i think ill be okay ... or at least i hope to be okay... athe kettering book i was going to take was gointg to be the home study program... something about having the review... before my test.. would be nice.. and thanks.. ill be talking to them if i get in the program.. hopefully they will come again to my school... i checked the seminar.. and i did see something aboutValley Glen... in cali... so hopefully its us... ill be reading up on that book.. though... was there an interiew... they gave u guys... ? thanks again... what are the odds.. of me meetinganother person in shte same exact school..

Reply - Report abuse

DEE in Miami, Florida

96 months ago

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RRT/CRT BECAUSE FROM WHAT I HEARD ATI OFFERS AN ASSOCIATE DEGREE IN RESPITORY, IM SO LOST AND CONFUSED, SOMEBODY EXPLAIN

Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

The CRT (Certified Respiratory Therapist) is the entry-level credential that is given after one graduates from an accredited Respiratory Care program and then passes the entry-level state exam (160 questions) for licensing. It is the minimum requirement for practicing as a Respiratory Therapist. The RRT (Registered Respiratory Therapist) is the advanced level credential that can be achieved by taking a second two-part test. The RRT exam consist of a written portion (100 questions) and a clinical simulation portion (11 scenarios). All tests are actually taken on computers in multiple choice format, with 20 questions from each written exam and 1 clin-sim randomly thrown out (pretest questions that will be used in future tests). Again, you must have the CRT credential to work as an RT, and for many years, that was sufficient. But...now a days, employers are more frequently requiring their RTs to also pursue the RRT credential. Having the two credentials does make things more complicated, so I can understand your confusion. Most think it would make more sense to eliminate the CRT altogether, and only keep the RRT....but the NBRC (National Board of Respiratory Care) has been resistant to this idea so far. They collect $200 for each CRT exam attempt, and another $400 for each RRT exam attempt. There are also licensing fees that vary according to the state you live in. I just graduated, and still have to shell out another $775 for the exams and license.....so, I'm studying hard and heavy to pass them the first time! Wish me luck!

Reply - Report abuse

DEE in Miami, Florida

96 months ago

WOW DATS CRAZY BUT I DO WISH U LUCK, TRY THESE FOR HELP www.flashcardsecrets.com/rrt/ I HAVENT TAKEN RESPRITATORY CLASSES YET BUT I PLAN TO BY APRIL OR MAY OF 09, WHO IN THIS FORUM HAS GOT A JOB IN THE HOSPITAL OR CLINIC? HOW MUCH WAS THE SALARY HOURLY?

Reply - Report abuse

RRT wasted in Virginia Beach, Virginia

96 months ago

aoxygen in Chesapeake, Virginia said: Respiratory Therapy is one of the growing areas in the medical field. I just think hospitals have a period when they actually hire new grads. I'm going to keep praying and I know something will happen soon. Keep the faiTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just graduated last May. The hospitals in the Hampton Roads area treated us like crap. Many people waited months to get calls regarding interviews. It was horrible. I jumped at the first job that was offered to me and it was the biggest mistake. I lasted 4 months before I left. The seasoned RTs treated the new grads like crap. They constantly whined and complained about having no help but then made anyone who came along so miserable that they quit. Basically, I think the schools lie through their teeth to get you into the program. They don't care if you make it in the field, they only care that you get your registry so they look good.

Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

DEE in Miami, Florida said: WOW DATS CRAZY BUT I DO WISH U LUCK, TRY THESE FOR HELP www.flashcardsecrets.com/rrt/ I HAVENT TAKEN RESPRITATORY CLASSES YET BUT I PLAN TO BY APRIL OR MAY OF 09, WHO IN THIS FORUM HAS GOT A JOB IN THE HOSPITAL OR CLINIC? HOW MUCH WAS THE SALARY HOURLY?

In Hampton Roads, starting dayshift is around $20, some a bit higher, some a bit lower. Signing bonuses vary. You can make $5 to $7 an hour more for working evenings or nights. Plus weekends make more.

Reply - Report abuse

DEE in Miami, Florida

96 months ago

and dats for new grads?

Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

Yes, new grads with an RRT or the expectation of getting the RRT within 6 months.

Reply - Report abuse

DEE in Miami, Florida

96 months ago

where is hampton roads

Reply - Report abuse

nicole b.

96 months ago

alexia..i'm applying for the program @ LAVC in April... let me know if you want a study buddy.. i live in northridge

Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

DEE in Miami, Florida said: where is hampton roads

Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Hampton, VA area

Reply - Report abuse

DEE in Miami, Florida

96 months ago

i live in miami, is dat close to u?

Reply - Report abuse

Freddy Soloman Jr. in West Bloomfield, Michigan

96 months ago

Dee...start writing in english......Dat close? Did you grow up in the hills of Kentucky?

Reply - Report abuse

DEE in Miami, Florida

96 months ago

lol. thats just a little slang. im from the hood.

Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

DEE in Miami, Florida said: i live in miami, is dat close to u?

Miami is a good days drive from Virginia Beach.

Reply - Report abuse

Alexia in Los Angeles, California

96 months ago

nicole b.

1 day ago

alexia..i'm applying for the program @ LAVC in April... let me know if you want a study buddy.. i live in northridge

>>>>>> Hey Nicole B. i already attedned the RT program at LAVC i graduated last june , i am looking for a job right now, but email me if you have any questions k i live by northridge too>>>>>> unknownalexia@yahoo.com

Reply - Report abuse

Fredick Soloman Sr. in West Bloomfield, Michigan

96 months ago

Alexia, you have been out of school for 6 months....Why haven't you found a job? Are you looking out of state?

Reply - Report abuse

DEE in Miami, Florida

96 months ago

whoever reading this i need feeback, my aunt she is a crt. she told me im gonna have a hardtime getting a job because of my hair. its dreads. but its very neat. its not wild. they are very neat and professional looking, she said it doesnt matter. she said im gonna have to cut it. i disagree becaue when i got to the hospital i see doctors and nurse with dreads. she said my best bet is to cut it and grow it back. but i love my hair, i had it for 7years

Reply - Report abuse

Freddy IV in West Bloomfield, Michigan

96 months ago

Put DAT hair in a cap

Reply - Report abuse

DEE in Miami, Florida

96 months ago

the point is when i sit down for the interview wil they hire me evem if the hair looks net

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.