Pay Range in Austin, Texas

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

RCVAL in Laguna Niguel, California

79 months ago

I'm thinking of relocating to Austin, Texas from California. But before I start submitting resumes, I would like to know what the pay scale is for a CRTT with 22 years experience. Can anyone advise from the Austin, TX area?

Thanks
Ramona

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Indeed Help in Stamford, Connecticut

79 months ago

Hello Ramona, Thank you for joining the Indeed forums! If you would like to know more about the average salary range for CRTT, or any job for that matter, just use the Indeed.com Salary tool. www.indeed.com/salary Just type in the job, keyword or position you want to know more about and the area you're interested in and click "View Salary" to see the salary for your search and other related terms. Here's a search I did for CRTT in Austin. http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=CRTT&l1=Austin%2C+Texas&tm=1 Sincerely, Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Round Rock, Texas

78 months ago

RCVAL in Laguna Niguel, California said: I'm thinking of relocating to Austin, Texas from California. But before I start submitting resumes, I would like to know what the pay scale is for a CRTT with 22 years experience. Can anyone advise from the Austin, TX area?

Thanks
Ramona

CRTT's will find it difficult in the Austin area as many of the major hospitals no longer hire CRTT's. Also, there is currently a hiring freeze on at the two major networks (seton and St. Davids). Things change of course, but you might find getting a CRTT job in Austin rather difficult.....

John
j.hallbauer@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

100krecruiter in New Haven, Connecticut

76 months ago

RCVAL in Laguna Niguel, California said: I'm thinking of relocating to Austin, Texas from California. But before I start submitting resumes, I would like to know what the pay scale is for a CRTT with 22 years experience. Can anyone advise from the Austin, TX area?

Thanks
Ramona

Currently I have mutiple lucrative $$$ positions available throughout the country for Respiratory Therapists, Registered Nurses, Lab Technicians, and Histo Technicians. If interested please email me your resume to 100krecruiter@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

silva in National City, California

76 months ago

100krecruiter in New Haven, Connecticut said: Currently I have mutiple lucrative $$$ positions available throughout the country for Respiratory Therapists, Registered Nurses, Lab Technicians, and Histo Technicians. If interested please email me your resume to 100krecruiter@gmail.com

I am trying to figure out which vocational school to take. I don't want to waste time or money in these hard economic times. I am strongly coinsidering respiratory therepist, but I can't seem to find out what how many positions are actually out there for this job. Any helpful responses?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

silva in National City, California

76 months ago

Also, I will soon relocate to either Texas with my wife and child, so I would prefer to know what the job market looks like in Texas. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in Round Rock, Texas

76 months ago

To be an RRT you have to have either an Associate Degree or a Bachelor Degree in Respiratory. That's 3-4 years minimum of schooling (Associates are supposed to be 2 year programs but because of clinicals and extra requirements it almost always takes three years). You also have to be accepted into a program, which with this economy could be more challanging. Because almost everyone in the Baby Boomer generation is a smoker you can rest assured there will always be plenty of jobs, but markets may differ. But usually if you go into a program in a major metropolian area you get scooped up by a hospital before you even graduate.

If it's money, security, stability, flexibility, and income you are looking for, then an RN degree is much more marketable, especially for men. I also happen to have a degree in Gerontology so respiratory was a good fit for me.

John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alexis Boccia in Stockton, California

52 months ago

I am a military vet who just graduated as a CRT. Im trying to find work in Austin, anyonethat could be of assistace wouldbe great. Ill seriously pay you anyone gets me a lead that finds me a job in Central Texas!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe956 in Mcallen, Texas

48 months ago

Alexis Boccia in Stockton, California said: I am a military vet who just graduated as a CRT. Im trying to find work in Austin, anyonethat could be of assistace wouldbe great. Ill seriously pay you anyone gets me a lead that finds me a job in Central Texas!!!

Did you ever find a job in austin? If so where are they hiring crtt's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Allegory_Esq in Riverside, Rhode Island

36 months ago

Joe956 in Mcallen, Texas said: Did you ever find a job in austin? If so where are they hiring crtt's?

bump...

Years have passed whats the prospect for future employment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lane in Lufkin, Texas

22 months ago

Currently looking for employment in Round Rock or Humble Tx as a CRT. Experience of 4+ year in LTACH/ICU setting. Any suggestions?

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there

22 months ago

Lane in Lufkin, Texas said: Currently looking for employment in Round Rock or Humble Tx as a CRT. Experience of 4+ year in LTACH/ICU setting. Any suggestions?

Honest truth.. Austin along with most of the Dallas area does not hire CRT's anymore, years ago Austin (ST Davids) would consider a CRT even Conerstone(LTAC)would but they only RRT now. I was considering going back to Austin but know there is no needs mainly for RRT. ST Davids Round Rock is what we call RRT snotty,its also clickish. LTACH is good experience ,look into Select Specialty and others LTACH in that area. I saw a posting for one of the longterm Nursing looking not sure for CRT or RRT or both.

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee

22 months ago

I think the Salary.com calculator is a bad indicator, in my area it way overestimates salary ranges. Your best bet is to look on the State's Department of Labor website for stats and salary surveys.

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee

22 months ago

For my new job, I thought the company low-balled me because I looked at the salary on that website, but when I looked on the department of labor salary information for my demographic, for this specific area, it was pretty much the right range. Department of Labor information is the way to go.

ebusiness66ATyahooDOTcom in Houston, Texas

22 months ago

Lane in Lufkin, Texas said: Currently looking for employment in Round Rock or Humble Tx as a CRT. Experience of 4+ year in LTACH/ICU setting. Any suggestions?

Mark RCP is right. Since you have only CRT, your chances of getting employed would be tough, though not impossible as you have good experience. But if or when you do find a job, I hope you can make the time to take your exams and get licensed as a RRT.

Lynn Horton in Dearborn, Mississippi

21 months ago

Joe956 in Mcallen, Texas said: Did you ever find a job in austin? If so where are they hiring crtt's?

Hey Joe...I will be moving to McAllen in a few months and was wondering if you could answer some of my questions. Will I need to be fluent in Spanish working at the hospitals in McAllen? I can speak only basic Spanish. What is the job market like in McAllen? What are the best hospitals and agencys? Also thinking about moving to San Antonio. Wife is from the valley and her job will allow her to go to both places. Thanks for any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Lynn Horton in Dearborn, Mississippi said: Hey Joe...I will be moving to McAllen in a few months and was wondering if you could answer some of my questions. Will I need to be fluent in Spanish working at the hospitals in McAllen? I can speak only basic Spanish. What is the job market like in McAllen? What are the best hospitals and agencys? Also thinking about moving to San Antonio. Wife is from the valley and her job will allow her to go to both places. Thanks for any help.

If choosing, I would pick San Antonio. More hospitals and Methodist is always hiring but comes the fact they are always..bad management and high turnover and high treatment load, Baptist is not bad but same bad management. There are no real great hospitals in SA. Lifecare is a rehab and Global is rehab also and they pay the best and are newer and have better staffing.

Not sure about McAllen area you will be the severe Minority and living in a high drug area. The Discovery tv show Border Wars is filmed in the area and toad a lot of Illegals and high crime. That whole area Brownsville and border area would be a last option even for work and Yes Spanish is spoken by even all the staff.

21 months ago

In above posting "toad" was typed by mistake,not sure how I typed that.

21 months ago

Lynn Horton in Dearborn, Mississippi said: Hey Joe...I will be moving to McAllen in a few months and was wondering if you could answer some of my questions. Will I need to be fluent in Spanish working at the hospitals in McAllen? I can speak only basic Spanish. What is the job market like in McAllen? What are the best hospitals and agencys? Also thinking about moving to San Antonio. Wife is from the valley and her job will allow her to go to both places. Thanks for any help.

I drive to the valley and cross over to Mexico atleast once every six months. I have looked for a job down there as I have 2 friends who are pharmacists down there and live well.

The job market for RTs there is not good at all and the pay is low. But I always encourage anybody, don't let some other person tell you a place is not hiring because people quit jobs or get fired at different times. So, if you are interested in a hospital or company, just apply. You might be applying just at the right time when a need just popped up and they might give you a job.

The cost of living in the valley is low and the food is yummy. I love going down there. I am don't know spanish at all and I enjoy myself well when I go down there.

I had my first RT job in SA. Low cost of living too. GREAT city and good affordable food too. The pay is from $18 to $23 for new grad or say new hire. But with experience, it might be higher. This is a great touristic city and awesome place to live. I visit SA once every 3 months. I do travel a lot for road trips and mini-vacations.

It is your choice whatever you choose. But I prefer SA to the valley. There is not much progress in the valley. No schools to further your education. It is a dead-end to schooling. Most successful people from the valley try to move out of the valley in search for better opportunities.

21 months ago

Thanks for the responses...According to this link, McAllen is the top paying area in the state.
Respiratory Therapist Salary in Texas by Area AreaAverage Hourly WageAverage Annual Wage McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX$27.52$57,240 Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX$26.81$55,760 Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX Metropolitan Division$26.43$54,980 Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metropolitan Division$25.80$53,660 Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX$25.75$53,560 El Paso, TX$25.75$53,550 Brownsville-Harlingen, TX$25.61$53,270 College Station-Bryan, TX$25.38$52,780 Longview, TX$25.21$52,440 Central Texas Non-metropolitan Area$24.91$51,820 Amarillo, TX$24.91$51,820 San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX$24.89$51,780 Sherman-Denison, TX$24.76$51,500 Midland, TX$24.63$51,230 Victoria, TX$24.29$50,530 Corpus Christi, TX$24.24$50,410 North Central Texas Non-metropolitan Area$24.02$49,960 Lubbock, TX$23.73$49,350 Northwestern Texas Non-metropolitan Area$23.56$49,010 Odessa, TX$23.46$48,790 Gulf Coast Texas Non-metropolitan Area$23.36$48,600 Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX$23.21$48,280 Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, TX$22.93$47,680 Texarkana-Texarkana, TX-AR$22.92$47,670 Tyler, TX$22.73$47,280 Abilene, TX$22.62$47,050 Eastern Texas Non-metropolitan Area$22.25$46,270 Top paying areas in Texas for respiratory therapists The cities of Edinburg, Mcallen, and Mission, TX are your best bet if you’re searching for the most affluent salaries in Texas. Each of these cities pay a high annual wage of $60,020, which is above average compared to the national average. Galveston, Houston, and Texas City are also decent places to get a solid salary. - See more at: respiratorytherapistsalaryjobs.com/respiratory-therapist-salary-texas/#sthash.YyRnMrCd.dpuf

21 months ago

Yes Average pay. Average is far from what a new grad vs 5yrs vs 10yrs will be paid.
And most average pay is based on a lot of factors and to add what site is paid the most to post pay scales. Just the same as there is a shortage of RTs based on Government statistics of which is not true per state to state.

All we are as myself and ebusiness is to consider what your options are in the short-term and then long-term prospect of living conditions are like on the border, advancement of you want to go back to school, and not sure if you have children the poor environment they would have to endure. The border and I know this from living in a border city and they are all the same, the complexity of being Caucasian in a 95% Hispanic city and yes not speaking Spanish while visiting is ok but to live there is another story.
Overall moving from MS will be a major shock in culture and living conditions and to add weather changes. If considering McAllen I would take a serious look at Crime statistics vs San Antonio and car thefts.

I grew up in Texas and know the state backwards and forwards from one side to the other and only city I would ever live in would be Austin. I have lived in Houston, Dallas, Tyler, El Paso, San Antonio .

Just more points to consider before choosing where to relocate, in again I would pick lower pay for safe place and potential for educational growth.

20 months ago

Thanks once again....What city would I more likely find a job? Houston or San Antonio? Can you give me ballpark starting salary for a new grad? Also, what about landing a couple PRN jobs in these areas? Easy?

20 months ago

Lynn Horton in Dearborn, Mississippi said: Thanks once again....What city would I more likely find a job? Houston or San Antonio? Can you give me ballpark starting salary for a new grad? Also, what about landing a couple PRN jobs in these areas? Easy?

The and sad we would have to state this again is since your a new grad finding work will(maybe) be hard.
Houston is a very big city 5mil plus. San Antonio is smaller at 2 mil plus but layout is better and easy to get around. Go onto www.tha.org/TXHospitalsDirectory.asp
and look at every hospitals site and see what they have to offer as Indeed is only secondary site and not Always correct. University in San Antonio I believe will hire new grads and pay to start FT low 20s hr but also its a good place for experience since its a level 1 trauma/county hosp. The other may or may not take a new grad but look. I would pick San Antonio over Houston as Houston is traffic and congestion everyday all day. Look at Dallas /Ft Worth and Denton also.

20 months ago

Do most of the hospitals in SA use the PB 840 ventilator? Also, do therapists assist or perform intubations. Muchas gracias, amigos

20 months ago

Lynn Horton in Dearborn, Mississippi said: Do most of the hospitals in SA use the PB 840 ventilator? Also, do therapists assist or perform intubations. Muchas gracias, amigos

St Lukes which is part of the Baptist system does, the others- Christus,Methodist I believe does. But most have a mixture or use Drager XL and newer models. So if your use to the PB840 it may make it hard but not out ruled for hire, they would just train you for ICU etc. Policy for Intubations is hospital to hospital and varies but most RTs do not, this is a CRNA or ER doctor thing, if one is available they would. Assist in Intubations.. yes and most have a RRT team and stroke team.
Going into anyone of them is a learning experience and need to be open minded as in Texas , Respiratory is different versus westcoast and eastcoast. Some places still use Venturi masks and simple masks, most have not heard of Oxymask, Vapotherm also.

20 months ago

Thanks, Mark

We plan on moving around Thanksgiving. How long will it take to get a Texas license? I already have a license from another state. Thanks again for all the help.

20 months ago

If moving around Thanksgiving, it takes about 4-6 weeks this all depends on time of the year and since its going to Nov, they are as any state available to process for 2wks out of the month and then Dec hits and more holidays.
Also on how long it takes MS to verify your license, NBRC verification and transcript from where you went to school and other little things. NOV and DEC is a rough time of the year I have found to get a license in any state.

www.dshs.state.tx.us/respiratory/default.shtm

20 months ago

I can apply now...correct? I don't have to be living in Texas to apply?

20 months ago

No, apply when you want. Just follow the app and send everything they ask for.

20 months ago

Lynn Horton in Dearborn, Mississippi said: I can apply now...correct? I don't have to be living in Texas to apply?

You are moving to Texas at the right time.

What city would you be moving to?

Definitely start applying now to as many hospitals/nursing homes/skilled facilities as possible. Fall and the cold season is around the corner. Hospitals would be busy like crazy and needing full time and tons of PRN staff. You stand a very good chance.

Goodluck and if you need any assistance, feel free to email me at ebusiness66@yahoo.com.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.