RT Job in the Northern California (Bay Area)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

hmss in Santa Clara, California

42 months ago

I graduated with an AA degree in Respiratory Care with a 3.9 GPA. I have all my certifications (CRT, RRT, RCP, NRP, and ACLS). My problem is this, I've applied for plenty of jobs out here but get the same response. All hospitals and agencies want someone with at least 1 year experience. Does anyone know how I can get a job as a New Grad. Im willing to take an entry-level job to get my foot in the door. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jolly in Visalia, California

42 months ago

I'm in your exact same position, same area as well. How can we get that 1 year experience if no one will let us work? Any work is good work to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

frustrated new grad RT CHC in Palm Desert, California

42 months ago

Same here, welcome to the club buddies. I graduated from 18 months program and got my RRT 7 months ago. I've applied about 30+ jobs but most of them require at least 1 year experience and the bad thing is they won't count internship as experience either. I'm going back to school again to finish my BS and do PA or something else.

frustrated new grad RT CHC in Palm Desert, California

42 months ago

Same here, welcome to the club buddies. I graduated from 18 months program and got my RRT 7 months ago. I've applied about 30+ jobs but most of them require at least 1 year experience and the bad thing is they won't count internship as experience either. I'm going back to school again to finish my BS and do PA or something else. Nursing shortage is a hoax, don't go nursing either guys. Look for in this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jolly

42 months ago

Well I stand corrected!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Johnson-Keyport

42 months ago

The federal government is putting into place a program that rewards hospitals that hire unemployed healthcare workers.I think this program under the Obama administration would help the employment situation for the unemployed and the recent respiratory school graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mary in Chino, California

42 months ago

When does this program take effect?

965 in San Diego, California

42 months ago

hmss in Santa Clara, California said: I graduated with an AA degree in Respiratory Care with a 3.9 GPA. I have all my certifications (CRT, RRT, RCP, NRP, and ACLS). My problem is this, I've applied for plenty of jobs out here but get the same response. All hospitals and agencies want someone with at least 1 year experience. Does anyone know how I can get a job as a New Grad. Im willing to take an entry-level job to get my foot in the door. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

welcome to the unemployed rt club

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

employed rrt in Fremont, California

32 months ago

you should try to get on with a reg like HMS or Pre Diem staffing. It's a great way to get experanice and if you go to the same hospital you can show you're a good worker and they'd prob hire you when a postion opens.... Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

OD in Newman, California

16 months ago

Sorry to hear about your hard times, here's a few ideas for you and everyone else having troubles finding placement.
Now persistence is key to show that you are really willing to show up for the position applied for. Showing the management that you a really eager to start practicing therapy, and that you are in the culture of respiratory care. Save yourself the time and disappointment of working somewhere just because you need a check. I've seen this many times and most mangers do as well. It cost lots of money to train someone so if an employer doesn't feel they will have you on board for a few years or more they feel why bother. During any interviews find a way to express your goals and keep in mind to let them know you do not plan on leaving the area any time soon. Also they will see that stability in you. Know who your customers are- Doctors, nurses, patients, and co-workers. Being a therapist puts you in a position in which you are here to serve.(that's how you'll be treated) so the best way to deal with that is to serve like your asked..... Especially when you a new hire and or graduate. Don't be cocky, even if you know way more than the therapist around you who's been doing it for 20 plus years. Be tactful and considerate of everyone. Showing sensitivity and compassion will show your peers you really care and it goes a long way. Respiratory Therapy has a few different aspects of specialization you can work your way into so keep that in mind. That's a few tips common sense, self motivation, and not giving yourself an excuse for not finding a job. Keep some kind of employment while applying is also a plus because they will see you are will ing to work at anything, even if it isn't what you hold your license in. Just think to yourself- " why would I want to hire John/Jane Doe?" Thats what a director will ask themselves before considering you for a position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RT from the Bay in Sacramento, California

15 months ago

Couple of quick notes: If you choose to work through a Registry (Per Diem Staffing, HMS, Agostini, etc.) you absolutely have to apply to every single hospital you stand a chance of getting sent to. Some of the registries have a clause that enforces a referral fee if you apply for a job at a Hospital AFTER you took shifts there on registry. As a result most managers will not buy ou out.

Also: try looking into LTAC's and SubAcutes. These places are hard to work and have a pretty high turn rate.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Oregon rt

12 months ago

Oregon seems to prefer young new RT's. Higher standard of care too so you will learn well from experiences. As soon as you start to limp they will look for reasons to get rid of you though, so I don't recommend attempting to stay till retirement. And I just renewed my license and only had to pay $45.00

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lonicole in Brentwood, California

12 months ago

hmss in Santa Clara, California said: I graduated with an AA degree in Respiratory Care with a 3.9 GPA. I have all my certifications (CRT, RRT, RCP, NRP, and ACLS). My problem is this, I've applied for plenty of jobs out here but get the same response. All hospitals and agencies want someone with at least 1 year experience. Does anyone know how I can get a job as a New Grad. Im willing to take an entry -level job to get my foot in the door. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Apply everywhere, even if it says one year experience!. Also, smaller local hospitals. Check facilities other than 'big name facilities' like Kaisers. I work in Stockton and they hire new grads. I also worked in Chico and they hire new grads all the time! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vincent in Concord, California

11 months ago

Lonicole in Brentwood, California said: Apply everywhere, even if it says one year experience!. Also, smaller local hospitals. Check facilities other than 'big name facilities' like Kaisers. I work in Stockton and they hire new grads. I also worked in Chico and they hire new grads all the time! Good luck!

Please ,I am a new grad as well.Could you please give some leads in the Stockton area,so I could apply?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

davrrt in Fontana, California

9 months ago

That's if if you get lucky enough to get an interview as a new grad. I've put out countless aps w/ resume and letters of rec and had 1 interview. But the they say the outlook is good for the career But that's only if you have experience. The college I went to can't even help, for the last two years the placement rate is 46% pretty impressive don't you think. Most of those people went out state I can't do that with my wife and her career,kids and house. It's hard to stay possitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.