Any Respiratory Therapists in Ontario or Canada??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 66)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

idgm in Toronto, Ontario

62 months ago

No Canadian RTs here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

netter in Edmonton, Alberta

62 months ago

hello
I am a Canadian RT working in Edmonton I will answer your questions as best as i can
~the 3 year program is hard (i graduated 2 years ago) we were at school from 8-4 most days and had studying and project work to do every night as well as staying late in order to spend more time in the lab.
~no pay during clinical
~were i work everyone does 12's, except the staff in the PFT lab and asthma education, we all do a rotation of 12 hour nights and days. i know some people are able to work out partime positions were they work only weekends or only nights - but this depends on your manager. as new staff you will be at the bottom
~ don't have kids but when I work I am only working for those few days i am gone from 6:30-7:45 and am tired when i get home. however working shift has the perk of having more days off wich is wonderfull

hope that helps. I love respiratory and the work we do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

unemployed CRT in Sacramento, California

62 months ago

run as fast as you can because you will not find a job unless you are the respiratory managers best friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

idgm in Toronto, Ontario

62 months ago

netter
Thanks for the info, that really helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

idgm in Toronto, Ontario

62 months ago

Thanks Kaizer, that is very helpful.

I have another question if anyone could help me. I currently work in a hospital working as a clinical research coordinator and I want to continue working in this area but wanted to get my RT so that I could work more closely with patients. Currently, because I only have my BSc in Biology, I am limited in my interactions with patients because I am not a certified health care worker. I can't administer medications, etc. Do you think it would be possible to do the 3 yr program and then apply to RT positions working for a respiratory-related researcher, i.e, asthma researcher or cystic fibrosis researcher, etc.?
Do you need to work a certain # of hours as an RT to keep your certification? For example, I know that pharmacists have to work a few hrs a year in order to keep their membership with the Pharmacy Association. So if they have a full time job as a pharma sales rep, they would still need to work a few hrs in a pharmacy to get those hours. Is it the same for RT's? or is it just a matter or writing an exam every year to keep your certification?

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

60 months ago

Hi, hope this site isn't dead? Anyone out there? I am seriously thinking about taking the RT program, and am quite worried about being older (in my 50s) and landing a job once I have graduated. Should I be worried? I would appreciate an honest answer. I don't want to be seen as a negative in the work force, and realize that as an RT you work in a team. Would I get any respect from my fellow RTs, nurses or MDs? What is the job market supposed to do..I know all the stats say RT jobs will increase above average given the aging population..but they have to back that up with budgets...and in this economic situation? How realistic is this stat? I would really appreciate any info...thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

60 months ago

Thanks netter...I just came back from a tour...very, very interesting. I am coming from a dental hygiene background, where you just sit all day...can see that RT is completely different. I honestly cannot wait to start.

I agree,you need to earn respect. Actually, what you said is one of my fears..that my age will make people think I have been an RT for years..they'll know the truth the minute I open my mouth!
Thanks for the encouragement.

Do you think that there will still be enough work in 3 years? Hard to predict, I know, but what are your thoughts?

60 months ago

Glad I could help, Respiratory is a great career. work in 3 years is hard to say. I work in alberta were are healthcare system is broke. However people keep on getting sick, and older, asthma seems to be increasing more smokers are getting older meaning more pneumonia admissions and obesity is a major problem. All of this is horrible, however it is job security for all of these issues involve RT's therefore i think things shoulf be alright. as well staff continue to retire, have children and go partime, or move to a differnt career. Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Malagha in Toronto, Ontario

58 months ago

It was last year that I completed Respiratory Therapy program. I continued to finish the 4th year to get my degree in Health Sciences, so I haven't worked yet...presently looking for a job. I must say that the 3 years RT program is extremely hard and demanding especially the clinical year. I had classmates that left the program at the end of the 3rd year, which was sad to see. I love what I learned and I still think I would love to work as a front line RT being there during emergencies, traumas, however, anyone who is considering to take this field should be mentally and physically (especially mentally) prepared that this is a very hard and difficult program, unless you have a previous medical background.
I am saying this as I came from a very different background, no previous medical knowledge, being close to 40 years of age, and having English as a second language, which wasn't a problem during my last year (4th year), when I needed to write many essays, however every time during my 3 years I was constantly reminded about how bad my English language is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Abe in Loma Linda, California

58 months ago

Don't try to go to Toronto, Canada if you've been educated in the US
There board is doing a whole bunch of stuff. You won't be getting licensed anytime soon. (I'm canadian, so i wanted to try and go back.)
Looks like I can't work anywhere now

58 months ago

Abe in Loma Linda, California said: Don't try to go to Toronto, Canada if you've been educated in the US
There board is doing a whole bunch of stuff. You won't be getting licensed anytime soon. (I'm canadian, so i wanted to try and go back.)
Looks like I can't work anywhere now

Are you saying if someone worked in the USA, they won't have as much experience than what we have in Ontario and they won't be able to work here?

Abe in Yucaipa, California

58 months ago

Malagha in Toronto, Ontario said: Are you saying if someone worked in the USA, they won't have as much experience than what we have in Ontario and they won't be able to work here?

No. Its just that the scope of practice is slightly different, and the college of respiratory care is doing a review of their Higher learning assessment
so all foreign rt applications are on hold

waterbug100 in Campbell River, British Columbia

58 months ago

Malagha..how is the job search going? Are there many opportunities, and are they casual, permanent, temp? What kind of wage are they offering? Is it different within each province?

Bombarding you with questions, sorry. I'm starting the program this fall, and am really curious about work opportunities in Canada.

Thanks for any info..anyone?

OntarioGrad in London, Ontario

57 months ago

Hi;
I just graduated 2 months ago from an RT program in Ontario, and only 8 ppl from my graduate class have jobs, and 7 of them are only casual for hospital
If you want hospital, you are only going to get casual unless you move out to BC area.
Ontario is terrible for job hunting.
I have seen homecare postings popping up, but most grads dont want that because they are afraid to loose their acute care skills, but as I said, hospital jobs are few and far between and they are only casual.
I enjoyed the program, and I enjoy the profession... but if I would have known 3 yrs ago what I know now about the profession, I most likely would have taken RN instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Toronto Ontario native in Loma Linda, California

57 months ago

I wish I had done RN as well.
so no RT jobs in Ontario? How big was your class?

I'm moving back to Toronto in June. i don't know if you saw my earlier comment, but as a foreign educated RT, I can't be registered with the crto due to some review that their doing with their higher learning assessment.
I hope to find a job at home depot or something (unless I find a job in another province)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RRTcrusader in Langley, British Columbia

57 months ago

idgm in Toronto, Ontario said: Really?? No jobs in Canada? To tell you the truth I haven't seen any posted anywhere.

If you're planning to take RT program. consider this! I've been monitoring the RT job posting Across Canada for about more than a year now, the demand for RT is not encouraging not unless you want to waiste your time and money to work in home care setting, loosing your acute care skills and start selling respiratory equipments. Yes, it is true Respiratory Therapy is a great profession but if you take Nursing, become an RN, you can practise RT anyway. just like shooting a bird, heating two birds at the same time. Because if you happen to see a Respiratory Therapy postings, the qualifications would be it's either RRT or RN to work as Respiratory Therapist. So, no brainer right? This is happening because CSRT and NBRC allowing this kind of ridiculous idea. Hey, jump in , as long you're Registered whatever, you can work as Respiratory Therapist. Isn't it a one-sided regulation, Regulating RT and yet allowing another profession to practise as RT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Does anyone know what the job situation is like for the western provinces? I've checked INDEED and some of the health authorities, and there seems to be some jobs..casual, but that's ok. Would appreciate ANY info on job availability..especially in BC. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

RRT - I would consider becoming a nurse, except the RN program no longer exists..so you're looking at 4 years study. Don't have that much time to dedicate to studying. And it seems dead wrong for an RN to be doing RT work...is this common?

57 months ago

waterbug100 in Campbell River, British Columbia said: RRT - I would consider becoming a nurse, except the RN program no longer exists..so you're looking at 4 years study. Don't have that much time to dedicate to studying. And it seems dead wrong for an RN to be doing RT work...is this common?

I am a working RT in Edmonton Alberta, the idea of RN being hired as an RT is something i have never heard of prior to this forum, A RT's education is much different from an RN's, having a RN working as an RT is a recipe for disaster as well as a step back for the advancement of respiratory care. Being an RT is a great career, Jobs maybe difficult to find now but I strongly believe this will change and soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smalibu in Richmond, British Columbia

56 months ago

waterbug,

I'm so happy I found someone else in BC who is looking at doing the respiratory therapy program. I'm currently finishing up some prerequisites so that I can apply to TRU for 09/11 intake. How did you find the application process to be? Is it fairly competitive? Pretty nervous about the odds, any information you have, or tips, I would really appreciate. Congrats on getting in!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

curious mind in London, Ontario

56 months ago

OntarioGrad in London, Ontario said: Hi;
I just graduated 2 months ago from an RT program in Ontario, and only 8 ppl from my graduate class have jobs, and 7 of them are only casual for hospital
If you want hospital, you are only going to get casual unless you move out to BC area.
Ontario is terrible for job hunting.
I have seen homecare postings popping up, but most grads dont want that because they are afraid to loose their acute care skills, but as I said, hospital jobs are few and far between and they are only casual.
I enjoyed the program, and I enjoy the profession... but if I would have known 3 yrs ago what I know now about the profession, I most likely would have taken RN instead.

just wondering how many people were in your class? I was thinking about the RT program myself but it sounds as though jobs are scarce. Will probably go a different direction now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Hi Dinesh,
In my opinion most of the Respiratory Therapy schools have good reputations. I wonder which province you are planning to immigrate to, because that will give you the options to how many and which schools you can apply to.
Also, are you looking to study on a collage level or university level? Is it important for you to get a degree or a Respiratory Therapy Diploma is what you are pursuing only? If you search on The Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapist website, www.csrt.com/ you will find all the accredited Respiratory Therapy schools in Canada. If you would like to get more info, please send me your email address and I can contact you.
Malagha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

julie in East Brunswick, New Jersey

53 months ago

I am a RRT in NJ, and try to move to TOronto. Do I need to take canada exam in order to work there?

Toronto Ontario native in Loma Linda, California said: I wish I had done RN as well.
so no RT jobs in Ontario? How big was your class?

I'm moving back to Toronto in June. i don't know if you saw my earlier comment, but as a foreign educated RT, I can't be registered with the crto due to some review that their doing with their higher learning assessment.
I hope to find a job at home depot or something (unless I find a job in another province)

RRT crusader in Richmond, British Columbia

52 months ago

julie in East Brunswick, New Jersey said: I am a RRT in NJ, and try to move to TOronto. Do I need to take canada exam in order to work there?

Hey Julie in E. Bruinswick, NJ

The job market in Canada is as bad as in America. Though you may not see or hear comments because the number of therapists here in Canada is quite relatively low as compared with United States, which has a huge population approximately about 400,000 therapists, of which account only less than 30% are RRT credentialed.

In the past, there used to be an agreement between the NBRC & CSRT, a partial recognition of RRT credential in which one is allowed to challenge the clinical portion of the exam. But that has changed in recent years, due to two reasons: 1. The NBRC recently introduced a new specialty credential which set to take effect next year. 2. Both organizations are leaning toward a different path; One is eyeing more on sleep studies while the CSRT is incorporating Anesthesia Assistant as a specialty occupation.
If you're planning to come over here in Canada. I have not heard Canada process working visa for professionals. Only work visa that I know of,is for Caregiver. Ther rests should apply as an immigrant Visa.

To maintain and register as RRT in Canada, you're looking at $1,100 fee, $550 for the National and another $550 for provincial.
The continuing competency here is Ancient century method, you have to log your learning activities in a professional portfolio. Just like logging your daily activities in a diary.

The RT practice here in Canada is entirely different than you would practice in America. In U.S., you can work as Traveling or Registry therapist. Most hospitals here are Unionized, so chances of seeing a job posting in Aute hospital when only someone file for early retirement, otherwise majority of job postings are for home care.

OntarioGrad in Hamilton, Ontario

52 months ago

In reply to your question...

60ppl graduated from my class, and only 7 were hired in ontario. A lot of grads left ontario and are working out East. There are a lot of jobs in Alberta, but mostly rural communities where they need the healthcare workers.
Hospital jobs are scarce and far between. If you are dead-set on working in ICU/critical care, like I was, than you will be disappointed to learn you are going to be stuck doing a desk job or a home care job....like I am now.

Classmates who did get jobs...they all are casual. They may get full time hrs with call ins and co-workers being sick, but they are still casual on paper... that means no benefits and good luck getting a mortgage when on paper you have no steady source of income.

The numbers of nursing far out weight RT.

Kristen14 in Aylmer, Ontario

50 months ago

Hi,

I have been a grad of the RT program almost coming up on 2 years. I turned down a job offer when I first graduated to go to PEI and work there. A decision I now regret IMMENSELY!!!! The problem I am facing now is #1 there are no jobs and #2 when jobs do come available EVERYONE hiring is looking for experience!! I dont even get a chance to get an interview. If you dont have experience they just dont call you. Unless you know someone who works where you are applying.Its really tough and if I went to PEI for a when I got the job offer I could have came back to Ontario with that experience in my pocket.
My question is I am now looking at other options and maybe moving to the states to find work. Does anyone know what I would have to do as an Ontario RT to go to say Texas and work? Does the hospital need to sponsor you for your work VISA?
I have been applying to some places in Texas but again have not heard anything yet.

Thanks

RRT crusader in Delta, British Columbia

50 months ago

Hi Kristen14 in Aylmer !

You didn't mention that you hold a RRT credential. But, I assumed
you're cause you were offered a job in the past.

In order for you to be able to practice as being Canadian RRT in U.S. you still need to challenge the clinical simulation portion that is being offered by the NBRC. After that, you have to look for someone to sponsor you to satisfy the requirement of the USCIS to get a status to work in the U.S. That is a bit of challenge, however, there are more job opportunities in U.S. that you would find work here in Canada.

Hope that helps!

Steph in Allentown, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

I am currently a registered therapist in the USA and will be moving to Canada in May. I am required to take the Canadian boards.I was wondering if anyone can help me locate study materials and practice exams for the Canadian boards. I am in desperate need!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ssroyeen in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

47 months ago

Malagha in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi Dinesh,
In my opinion most of the Respiratory Therapy schools have good reputations. I wonder which province you are planning to immigrate to, because that will give you the options to how many and which schools you can apply to.
Also, are you looking to study on a collage level or university level? Is it important for you to get a degree or a Respiratory Therapy Diploma is what you are pursuing only? If you search on The Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapist website, www.csrt.com/ you will find all the accredited Respiratory Therapy schools in Canada. If you would like to get more info, please send me your email address and I can contact you.
Malagha

Hi Malagha, i really need your help and wondering if i can get your email address to contact you in person. I am a female RRT from VA-USA and living in Dubai-UAE. I want to migrate to Canada and need your help.

Thanks
Royeen
ssroyeen@aol.com

ssroyeen in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

47 months ago

Steph in Allentown, Pennsylvania said: I am currently a registered therapist in the USA and will be moving to Canada in May. I am required to take the Canadian boards.I was wondering if anyone can help me locate study materials and practice exams for the Canadian boards. I am in desperate need!!!!

Hi Steph

Did you get any help?? i need the same as well. Please share if you have.

Thanks
ssroyeen@aol.com

mike in New Westminster, British Columbia

46 months ago

iam in my first year RRT in TRU in BC , I heard the same stories of RRT working in grocery stores in BC , need real advice here , how easy or how hard it is to find work as RRT in BC ?
thanks

Abdi in Edmonton, Alberta

43 months ago

I lived in the U.S for most of my life I moved to Canada with my family a few months ago I wanted to go to RT school in canada but it's absolutely ridiculous when you compare it to the RT schools in the U.S. RT schools in Canada are much harder and are 3 years a technical colleges. I'm going back to the U.S and do two years there and than move to the middle east where RTs are in demand.

43 months ago

Abdi in Edmonton, Alberta said: I lived in the U.S for most of my life I moved to Canada with my family a few months ago I wanted to go to RT school in canada but it's absolutely ridiculous when you compare it to the RT schools in the U.S. RT schools in Canada are much harder and are 3 years a technical colleges. I'm going back to the U.S and do two years there and than move to the middle east where RTs are in demand.

Yes, RT schools and RRT registration exam are much harder in Canada then in the USA. However the 2 years RT school in US can cost you as much as 45000.00 dollars which I think it's really expensive. I finished a Degree (4 years) for that amount of money.
Even if you finish RT school in US, you still need 2 years ICU experience to go to the Middle East isn't it?

GB RRT in Toronto, Ontario

42 months ago

Steph in Allentown, Pennsylvania said: I am currently a registered therapist in the USA and will be moving to Canada in May. I am required to take the Canadian boards.I was wondering if anyone can help me locate study materials and practice exams for the Canadian boards. I am in desperate need!!!!

I know this is probably late, but there are no Canadian question banks or books, all Canadian students used the american textbooks and question banks to prepare for our board exam. Make sure to note that some equations vary and that we use the metric system! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GB RRT in Toronto, Ontario

42 months ago

I love the field and the program is challenging but if you work hard and stay organized, there's no reason not to pass it. You can work in Ontario (I'm not sure about the other provinces) as a GRT (graduate) for up to year before having to get your RRT designation. This means that once you graduate, you could start to work but you must still be somewhat supervised (a healthcare provider must be less than 10 minutes away from you). The job market is horrible. Many of my classmates opted to go into home care which I believe is a HUGE mistake as a new grad. The ones that did get jobs are just casual and on contracts (mat leaves etc...) which means that there is absolutely no guarantees for them in the end. I agree with others above, if you want a job in healthcare, RT is not the fiels right now to get into. RN jobs are EVERYWHERE! Having said this, it's not because RT's aren't needed or that all hospitals have more than enough RT's...on the contrary, from what I've seen most are overworked, understaffed, and lacking coverage, but there's no budget or funding for it. Anyways, best of luck to all of you joining the program and hopefully by the time you graduate the market is better because right now it's pretty depressing and it doesn't look like much will be changing anytime soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

natandreyka in Coquitlam, British Columbia

41 months ago

smalibu in Richmond, British Columbia said: waterbug,

I'm so happy I found someone else in BC who is looking at doing the respiratory therapy program. I'm currently finishing up some prerequisites so that I can apply to TRU for 09/11 intake. How did you find the application process to be? Is it fairly competitive? Pretty nervous about the odds, any information you have, or tips, I would really appreciate. Congrats on getting in!!

Hi smalibu,

did you get in to TRU Respiratory Diploma Program? How was it? Is it difficult? Are you required to take 6 classes per semester?

I'm taking pre-health science certificate now and also planning to go to TRU Respiratory.

Thank you in advance,

Meshari in Vancouver, British Columbia

40 months ago

Hi RT 's
I am an american RRT living in Vancouver and I would like to know how I can work in Vancouver
Pls any help from canadian RT.

bob hicks in Saint John's, Newfoundland

38 months ago

Meshari in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Hi RT 's
I am an american RRT living in Vancouver and I would like to know how I can work in Vancouver
Pls any help from canadian RT.

Hi,

Here is the contacts for the canadian society of respiratory therapist. I'm sure someone at the following link can help you with your question.

www.csrt.com/en/about/staff_directory.asp

Stephanie in Iqaluit, Nunavut

37 months ago

I am a U.S. citizen living in Canada....recently married,,,I moved to Canada to be with my husband....I have been a respiratory therapist for 16 years in the States and need help with how to study for the national boards....would you be able to help me?? I have taken the exam and even though I studied for 6 months I found it extremely hard....I studied mainly from my U.S. materials....I need help!!

netter in Edmonton, Alberta said: hello

I am a Canadian RT working in Edmonton I will answer your questions as best as i can
~the 3 year program is hard (i graduated 2 years ago) we were at school from 8-4 most days and had studying and project work to do every night as well as staying late in order to spend more time in the lab.
~no pay during clinical
~were i work everyone does 12's, except the staff in the PFT lab and asthma education, we all do a rotation of 12 hour nights and days. i know some people are able to work out partime positions were they work only weekends or only nights - but this depends on your manager. as new staff you will be at the bottom
~ don't have kids but when I work I am only working for those few days i am gone from 6:30-7:45 and am tired when i get home. however working shift has the perk of having more days off wich is wonderfull

B Hicks in Corner Brook, Newfoundland

37 months ago

I found the following book helpful when studying for the national:

-Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care

-Workbook for Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care

-Respiratory Notes: Respiratory Therapist's Pocket Guide (Davis's Notes)

---------------------------
And I found the book set on the following site very helpful.
(Oakes' Critical Care Pak Pocket Guides)

www.respiratorybooks.com/Critical-Care-Pak_p_17.html

37 months ago

Stephanie in Iqaluit, Nunavut said: I am a U.S. citizen living in Canada....recently married,,,I moved to Canada to be with my husband....I have been a respiratory therapist for 16 years in the States and need help with how to study for the national boards....would you be able to help me?? I have taken the exam and even though I studied for 6 months I found it extremely hard....I studied mainly from my U.S. materials....I need help!!

I found the following book helpful when studying for the national:

-Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care

-Workbook for Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care

-Respiratory Notes: Respiratory Therapist's Pocket Guide (Davis's Notes)

---------------------------
And I found the book set on the following site very helpful.
(Oakes' Critical Care Pak Pocket Guides)

www.respiratorybooks.com/Critical-Care-Pak_p_17.html

37 months ago

Thank you so much!! Are there any test question banks to study from? Practice tests??

37 months ago

Stephanie in Iqaluit, Nunavut said: Thank you so much!! Are there any test question banks to study from? Practice tests??

The Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care Workbook contains hundreds of test questions like the national.

Regards.

B

37 months ago

You have been a great help to me!! Thank you so much!!

Dominique in Wernersville, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Thinking of moving to Canada after graduating my RRT program and was wondering if I could just skip taking the U.S. boards and go straight for the Nationals. Would that allow me to practice in both the U.S. AND Canada? How is the recent job market up there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Toronto, Ontario

37 months ago

B Hicks in Corner Brook, Newfoundland said: The Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care Workbook contains hundreds of test questions like the national.

Regards.

B

B hicks from Newfoundland, I an interested in becoming an RT, I am from Newfoundland and wondering how easy/hard it may be to find full time employment in this field. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

bob hicks

37 months ago

Curious in Toronto, Ontario said: B hicks from Newfoundland, I an interested in becoming an RT, I am from Newfoundland and wondering how easy/hard it may be to find full time employment in this field. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Hi,

All the students who graduated in the past 2 years in NFLD are working as RTs. Eastern health hires several graduating RTs every year despite their job bank not posting positions for RT very often. I do know that the Provence is under staffed so there should be jobs in the province for a few years. As well some of the staff are reaching retirement, which will also free up some jobs too. As for Schooling it is very hard. You need to be devoted to get through the program. biology, chemistry and physics are main courses in the first 3 semesters. But if you work hard the job will be very rewarding. I promos.

Best regards.

bob

Julio in Palmdale, California

37 months ago

netter in Edmonton, Alberta said: hello
~no pay during clinical

I'm so jealous of you Canadians. You get to do more stuff and probably even better education that American RTs. I was still somewhat satisfied with my school though.

burrows14 in Surrey, British Columbia

36 months ago

Hi
im thinking about going into a RT program in NAIT which is in edmenton, but im afraid i wont get into the program.I hope someone replies!! Im only in highschool and its my last year, is it competiive, and the job security?
please help me, confused wether or not to go into this career!!
Thanks

AL in Edmonton, Alberta

36 months ago

Hey the NAIT program is great, the program is competitive, you need good grades, good knowledge about RT skills as well as be able to demonstrate critical thinking skills. The roll for RT's in Edmonton varies, job security is decent it may take a few years to get a permanent position but you should be able to get a casual job with lots of hours fairly easy. Many program applicants have previous post secondary education but they also take qualified applicants from high school. I suggest learning all you can about the profession, see if you can visit the RT dept at your hospital. Call a resp. home care company and spend a day with there RT's.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.