Respiratory Therapy VS Diagnostic Medical Sonography

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

LJandEmmy'sMum in Palm Desert, California

42 months ago

Hi, everyone. I was in search of opinions on the field of Resp Care and stumbled upon this site. Well, I recieved my diploma back in November of 2010, but it's actually been a year since I've been in practice (clinicals ended last April) and I have yet to take the boards. You see, it's been a struggle trying to decide whether or not I should take the exam at all. So far, I have to say that I can relate to most of the negative comments on here concerning RC. I didn't really enjoy my clinicals, though there were those moments and those patients that really did make all the hard work seem worth it, it just wasnt enough to make me to enjoy what I was doing. Don't get me wrong, I liked the idea that I was helping people, but I just felt so out of place. I was hoping that I'd get used to it all and maybe being an RT would help me come out of my shell (I'm a shy type of person), and in some instances it did, but it was incredibly stressful nonetheless. So, it's been 12 months since I've set foot in a hospital, and the longer I stay away, the harder it is for me to want to come back. I've looked at every other profession/field under the sun it seems and finally I found Diagnostic Medical Sonographery today while I was surfing the web. It definitely looks like something I'd be interested in and might even enjoy and I read that I only have to go through another year of school since I already have a 2 year degree and clinical experience. So, would it be worth another year of school, especially when it looks like there are absolutely no jobs in RT right now? Is DMS any better than RT as in pay, workload, job availability and overall work enviornment? Is there a wait list for DMS like nursing at the community colleges? 'Cause I feel like I'm running out time and money trying to find a good job! Help! Any comments, ideas, suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MS in Oak Lawn, Illinois

38 months ago

If you didnt like clinical in RT, then you probably wouldnt like the actual job either. I have been an RRT for 12 years now. There are not many 'options' for Resp., just being one, and then manager/director later on if thats your thing. You could also do PFTs...I am going to go back to school for sonography. I am applying for the 2012 year, I already missed it this year. It pays more money, and is way less stressful. The programs, however, are getting more and more difficult to get into. There is often a wait. I believe there are way more Respiratory jobs out there than sonography jobs though. Since you did the schooling for RT already, you should sit for your CRT...it is great job to fall back on...there is always work. You might not like the shift, but there is always jobs. I have to admit, the boards for RT are a bit difficult. BUT, I did find out for sonography, you have to take your boards every 10 years...in Resp you dont have to. In sonography, the boards are 200 bucks a piece, and you can be certified in 8 different fields, so that is something to think about. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GO to RN!!! in Colton, California

38 months ago

@ LJ,
Forget about respiratory therapy. You have been away from respiratory therapy school for a year lapse and now the information is starting to move away from your head. Its going to be very hard for you to pass your boards, so forget it. Go with the Sonography things and enjoy that career instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in El Paso, Texas

16 months ago

hi everyone. I just wonder if anyone can help me please in this decision. I really like the diagnostic medical sonography program which im in process right now just staring it but if I would need a second option I will go for the Respiratory care program. The first program I would choose it would be the Sonography but people had tell me there is a waiting list and that is hard to get in, and if this is true I don't want to be waiting too much since I would get more older and the earlier the best since I need to start working the soon as possible. Can anyone tell me what would be the best and tell me if im wrong about the waiting list?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DNA in Royal Oak, Michigan

16 months ago

Karen, research the diagnostic sonography profession thoroughly; if you're still interested, go for it. I know there was a long waiting list for it at the college I went to, and I mean an average of 2-3 years long. Personally, I wouldn't wait that long just to get an associate degree, but I recommend for you to utilize the time you're on the wait list properly. I know you'll be taking pre-reqs, but don't just waste time waiting for the program to start. If you can get a bachelor's degree in the meanwhile or useful classes, certifications, etc., that would be good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in El Paso, Texas

16 months ago

Thankyou for your advice. I think the same. I would not be just waisting my time just for the program to start and I was thinking about doing something for that period if needed. Did you graduate from sonography? Do you know about the respiratory therapy program? I was really confused since they just accept a friend for the respiratory therapy and I was thinking that should be less competitive but dont know much about it. And also a friend that was in sonography tell me she could pass the test which I never heard of that test. But anyways, the main reason I was so confused was because If I would change to the respiratoy therapy I was going to do it now in order to start already and dont be depending then on whatever happens on sonography do you know what I mean?

JRB2016 in Mobile, Alabama

16 months ago

I wonder which one pays more.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.