Respiratory Therapy in europe?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Mark RCP in Texas

77 months ago

MikeModular281 in Hialeah, Florida said: Hello everyone,
My name is Michael. I am a Respiratory Therapy student. I will be graduating within the first quarter of 2012. I am really fascinated in migrating to Europe and would like to work as an RT preferably in the UK. My first language is English, but I also speak Spanish. I keep hitting a dead end because there isn't very much information, that I have found about Respiratory Care field in Europe. I'm curious whether I would qualify to work in any country within the EU, even possibly an agency job. If anyone could share some light on the subject I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Mike

From what I have found out there are no use of RT's in Europe. The term they use is Physiotherapist in which they do speech,pt and ot also I read somewhere the nurses also do RT obligations. The use of RT is an American and Canadian area, remember the field is still unknown even in the US and only been around since the 70's. I have and still come across individuals in the Hospital that still have no clue about what we truly do.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

MikeModular281 in Satellite Provider

76 months ago

In the research I've done, I recall reading somewhere; that the EU was either in the process, or already put together an organization similar to the NBRC. I did read a job posting through the national healthcare system(NHS) in the UK for what they call a, "clinical respiratory physiologist", after reading the job discription it is equivalent to our respiratory therapists. This is the only knowledge I have gathered after hours of research. I've sent out plenty of emails, to no avail. Thankyou for the input either way, you are correct. It is a very young profession.

Reply - Report abuse

MikeModular281 in Satellite Provider

76 months ago

In the research I've done, I recall reading somewhere; that the EU was either in the process, or already put together an organization similar to the NBRC. I did read a job posting through the national healthcare system(NHS) in the UK for what they call a, "clinical respiratory physiologist", after reading the job discription it is equivalent to our respiratory therapists. This is the only knowledge I have gathered after hours of research. I've sent out plenty of emails, to no avail. Thankyou for the input either way, you are correct. It is a very young profession.

Reply - Report abuse

Ophie92 in Naples, Florida

72 months ago

MikeModular281 in Hialeah, Florida said: Hello everyone,
My name is Michael. I am a Respiratory Therapy student. I will be graduating within the first quarter of 2012. I am really fascinated in migrating to Europe and would like to work as an RT preferably in the UK. My first language is English, but I also speak Spanish. I keep hitting a dead end because there isn't very much information, that I have found about Respiratory Care field in Europe. I'm curious whether I would qualify to work in any country within the EU, even possibly an agency job. If anyone could share some light on the subject I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Mike

I've been looking into the same possibility. I would think anyone with an EU passport would get priority in the hiring process, however. Re: UK, see the below Q & A from the FAQ page at www.artp.org.uk/en/utilities/faq.cfm.

Regulation FAQs
I am from overseas and have gained Respiratory qualifications from my home country, will I be able to register and work in the UK?

As long as you can prove you are competent in a range of diagnostic and therapeutic techniques including a full range of Respiratory investigations i.e. Spirometry, Bronchodilator challenges, Flow Volume Loops, Lung Volume and Transfer Factor and have worked in a Respiratory Function Lab / Unit for a minimum of six years they you would be accepted on to the register. (Again you must have worked in Respiratory for a minimum of six years as you will not have obtained the ARTP professional examinations). This does not stop you being employed in the U.K. (that would be up to individual hospital trusts). You would not be able to register with the registration council (RCCP) until competence has been proved and you have either done the correct qualifications or had a minimum of six years experience.

Reply - Report abuse

justin oakley in Selbyville, Delaware

68 months ago

Europe is currently working on a RT protocol for the EU nations. There are currently no such thing as an RT in Europe. Contact the ARC for more info

Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there

53 months ago

sutherlin40@hotmail.com in Coulsdon, United Kingdom said: I was born in England and come back every 2-3 years. I have worked as a respiratory Therapist for the past 20 years in the U.S. Is there any job I could get here in the U.K.?

As many noted the UK does not use RTs.Nurses or what they call physiotherapist are used, as as one noted above you are more of a PT,OT and RT including doing PFTs, etc. You would have a better chance being a Nurse and that would be up to the needs for the country same as Australia you have to have a needed skill to get in and stay,unless you perhaps still have family and that is a ticket in to stay.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.