Respiratory is so over saturated in AZ please help.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Curt S. in Chandler, Arizona

26 months ago

I just graduated from a respiratory program from Carrington College about a month and a half ago, and have found that NO one is hiring new grads. I am RRT and CRT certified already, even have a patent in the medical field since graduation and still no luck. Luckily I am willing to relocate, but I would like to know which states in the US need RT's the most because it looks like everyone wants experience and ill go anywhere that will hire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dzrtgemz@yahoo.com in Maricopa, Arizona

26 months ago

Good Luck! I have 12 years experience as an RRT and have been searching for work for the last 30 days....with the state of healthcare and the fact that respiratory is not a reimburseable department, no one is hiring.positions are posted but if you notice the dates posted, they are just there for looks! About 3 months ago the department I was working in had 5 PRN ppositions posted and they received over 200 applications!

Good luck!

Curt S. in Chandler, Arizona

26 months ago

This is what I have been hearing and it sucks, schooling was 40,000$. Luckily I did well on my clinical rotation and it looks like those may be the only people who can help me find a job. The internet applications at this point have proved to be worthless with over 70 applications nationwide and not even one phone call. HR are real A-holes to when I call to see if an online position is still open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jwebb827 in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

Curt, I to graduated from Carrington in 2009 and I had to take a position in Pennsylvania. I am realizing that the respiratory field is not for me and am actually looking into going into nursing as soon as I pay off my loans. I worked for the first year as a per diem therapist with PRCS and they about drove me into the ground the first winter. The second year, 198 applications later I was still scraping the barrel looking for anything. My close friend convinced me to get my license in PA and look into the opportunities. I got my license but hesitated because I am an AZ native. Then I lost my manufacturing job and I hadn't worked in the hospital in 4mos at that point so I had to do something. Within 2 weeks I had 5 interviews and 2 job offers... As a CRT! I am a RRT now and really their is no increase in pay. Yes it does seem like the employment opportunities are better out here, but I do plan on coming back to my AZ. Currently I have put in over 320 application in the state of az and aside from working for PRCS, I received 1 interview that resulted in a letter of rejection. So now I am looking to go back to school so that I can get my BSN and live out my life accordingly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

RRT_RPFT in Penasqitos, California

23 months ago

dzrtgemz@yahoo.com in Maricopa, Arizona said: Good Luck! I have 12 years experience as an RRT and have been searching for work for the last 30 days....with the state of healthcare and the fact that respiratory is not a reimburseable department, no one is hiring .positions are posted but if you notice the dates posted, they are just there for looks! About 3 months ago the department I was working in had 5 PRN ppositions posted and they received over 200 applications!

Good luck!

Positions are posted because they are required to be posted. There is usually an internal candidate that has already been selected--but the public posting is a legality. My facility receives hundreds of applications weekly-general applications that are not in response to a job posting, even after our department has been cut to bare-bones via layoffs. Job postings are rarely the way to go.

Good luck on your quest!

t.lewis in Florissant, Missouri

21 months ago

If job postings is not the "way to go"... what is? My husband has been looking for an RRT job in AZ for over a year to no avail. it doesn't help were trying to relocate to the state as I feel that may be a major reason hes had no luck :-(

ebusiness66ATyahooDOTcom in Houston, Texas

21 months ago

t.lewis in Florissant, Missouri said: If job postings is not the "way to go"... what is? My husband has been looking for an RRT job in AZ for over a year to no avail. it doesn't help were trying to relocate to the state as I feel that may be a major reason hes had no luck :-(

It is said that besides job postings, "it is who you know". So, if your husband has some RT friends working at some hospitals, they usually know when there is a need at their job.

Like at my job, 2 female workers took 2 months off each to give birth. Then one full time staff had a long due holiday scheduled for this period. So, there is a major shortage now. What is making it worse is right now is the peak season where the hospital is getting a lot of patients with respiratory problems.

So, ask him to see if he has friends who work at certain hospitals who would refer him or tell him when new openings are posted. That way he stands a higher chance of getting hired. Sucks that the more you stay out of work, the less people want to hire you.

Let him just make a good resume and keep on applying and hoping for the best. I don't know what else I could suggest for him.

t.lewis in Florissant, Missouri

21 months ago

ebusiness66ATyahooDOTcom in Houston, Texas said: It is said that besides job postings, "it is who you know". So, if your husband has some RT friends working at some hospitals, they usually know when there is a need at their job.

Like at my job, 2 female workers took 2 months off each to give birth. Then one full time staff had a long due holiday scheduled for this period. So, there is a major shortage now. What is making it worse is right now is the peak season where the hospital is getting a lot of patients with respiratory problems.

So, ask him to see if he has friends who work at certain hospitals who would refer him or tell him when new openings are posted. That way he stands a higher chance of getting hired. Sucks that the more you stay out of work, the less people want to hire you.

Let him just make a good resume and keep on applying and hoping for the best. I don't know what else I could suggest for him.

Thx for the response, i truly appreciate it. unfortunately... we have no friends that live in the west. But ill let him know what you said :) and ur right... I too have heard the old comment "its all bout who u know". theres a shortage in Houston, Texas? I ask cus I saw thats where your from. if so my hubs would just love that. Thats actually where he wants to be and were visiting there in a few months so he can check out the area. Im still holding out hope for Arizona though :)

ebusiness66ATyahooDOTcom in Houston, Texas

21 months ago

t.lewis in Florissant, Missouri said: Thx for the response, i truly appreciate it. unfortunately... we have no friends that live in the west. But ill let him know what you said :) and ur right... I too have heard the old comment "its all bout who u know". theres a shortage in Houston, Texas? I ask cus I saw thats where your from. if so my hubs would just love that. Thats actually where he wants to be and were visiting there in a few months so he can check out the area. Im still holding out hope for Arizona though :)

Yes, there is a shortage here in Houston, Texas. I have been worked a lot by my hospital. And this paycheck, I have made up my mind NEVER to do more than one day of over time.

Guess what? seems this new tax has kicked in and it is not good at all. I worked a very good paycheck for this pay period and guess how much was taken from my paycheck as taxes? Over $700!!!! Not something I would like to see happen again.

If your husband is interested in working in Houston? Ask him to apply. He might be lucky. Feel free to email me at ebusniness66@yahoo.com. I can answer any more questions you have.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.