San Joquin Valley College

Comments (1 to 50 of 105)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

John in Sacramento, California

85 months ago

Does anyone have any information/recommendations/opinions about the San Joquin Valley College Program in Respiratory Therapy; particularly Rancho Cordova.

Christopher Rodriquez in Rancho Cucamonga, California

85 months ago

Hi my son is currently in the Pharm. Tech program at SJVC in Rancho Cucamonga and will apply to the RT program. My son said thier is a huge waiting list and the program is difficult from talking with RT student. I work at an acute hosp. and several RT have attented SJVC and said it was a good school. I also know it's expensive but it worth the cost after you start working. I heard you can make really good money. $30-45 dollars an hour and even more if you work registry. I think it's a good career to go into. The only downfall is working 12hr rotating shifts. But then you only have to work 4 days a week. With every job you have the postive and negative.

ChristinaV in Sacramento, California

85 months ago

Hi John, I am also looking into the SJVC program for RT's. I actually have an appointment on Monday to speak with someone about the program. Have you spoken to anyone there yet?? Have you shadowed any RT's? I was thinking about doing that but not sure if hospitals will allow that? If you want I can let you know what all they have to say after I meet with them? From the people I have spoken with - the students coming out of SJVC have been well trained?!

Jon in Sacramento, California

84 months ago

hi John....

maybe we'll end up in the program together.

looking into getting into the program in July as well. i was looking for some information on how it is after graduation looking for a job as an RT coming out of a vocational school. experiences at the school itself and the difficulty of the course. i know its going to be a big commitment at 5 days a week 8-5 and a poop load of homework. were you guys able to hold up a job while schooling or would it be a bad idea to try to juggle it both. any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

84 months ago

Jon - Have you by chance taken the Accuplacer Test yet for SJVC? I am kinda nervous - it has been a while since I have been in school =)

Ron in Victorville, California

84 months ago

I posted a thread on here to use to study. It helped me pass!

84 months ago

christina - no i haven't. i just went in there last week and spoke to them. they wanted me to take it right away as well but i refused and said i was in a hurry out cause i know i'm not ready as well =) its been a while for me too. www.testprepreview.com/hobet_practice.htm should be the website. check that out and go over some of the material. good luck , and let me know how it goes when you take it. i might be going in this week to take the exam as well. i'm still not 100% sure about the program yet. i'd really like to get more information.

84 months ago

Thanks Jon, that's it!

84 months ago

Hey Jon- I am planning on taking it here soon too!! No sense in procrastinating to much longer - I will just work myself up and freeze during test time! Thank you for the link!! Goodluck.. let me know how you do!

jon in Sacramento, California

84 months ago

Hey Christina - just following up with you, did you get a chance to go in and take the test? if so, how did you do and was it pretty easy? let me know your progress. i'm still not 100% sure of the the program yet even though i should still get in there and get the testing out of the way. just doing some pretty extensive research on the RT field still.

84 months ago

Hi Jon-
No I have not taken the test as of yet... I am still on the fence on whether or not I can afford to go to school full time and have my hubby support me and the kids on his salary?? I know there are loans out there - just not sure if I want us to be struggling like that..decisions, decisions... anyways, have you looked into shadowing an RT? I want to do that, it is one thing to read all about it, but I want to see first hand what they do in a days work! I will let you know though if I decide to just do it and take the test! Keep me updated on your progress!! =)

maurice in Victorville, California

83 months ago

jon in Sacramento, California said: Hey Christina - just following up with you, did you get a chance to go in and take the test? if so, how did you do and was it pretty easy? let me know your progress. i'm still not 100% sure of the the program yet even though i should still get in there and get the testing out of the way. just doing some pretty extensive research on the RT field still.
dont wait any longer im only 6 weeks from graduating the rt program at the rancho cucamonga campus and it has been hell but i managed to still work part time every weekend and keep my house and family happy . the work is out there i already have 3 different offers but not sure yet were i wanna to work. dont be afraid just handle it. its all about how bad do you want it, be eager and motivated you can get through this just have alot of patience and money saved up because it will be hell of a rollercoaster ride.

83 months ago

Hey Maurice, where did you attend? Chaffey?

83 months ago

i attend san joaquin college in rancho cucamonga i hear now they have a long waiting list at leaST 8 MONTHS good luck its worth it

83 months ago

I am going to CCHS "IU". I called them, the lady I talked to was rude and short at JC. I went back to Concorde and tested out, paid the fee, then some personal stuff came up and ended up with CCHS.

Glad it worked out for you! There is another school going in around Ontario. Off the 10fwy I think. More and more schools going in.

83 months ago

maurice - the offers you recieved, whats the starting salary for a new grad in you area? i know it will differ from where we are at, but just to get an idea. i was starting to hear that the field is getting over saturated, but i get mixed opinions about it all the time. i just need to be a little more certain before i take the jump. thanks in advance.

83 months ago

Average is $25-$28hr

83 months ago

dont be afraid just do it. starting salaries at some of the clinical sites ive been to are 31$ on call or 28$ fulltime which isnt bad but in the high deseret they pay crappy like 24$hourly in st mary in apple valley were i might work just to save money in gas. get it done asap

RTPBALLER in San Diego, California

83 months ago

Jon in Sacramento, California said: maurice - the offers you recieved, whats the starting salary for a new grad in you area? i know it will differ from where we are at, but just to get an idea. i was starting to hear that the field is getting over saturated, but i get mixed opinions about it all the time. i just need to be a little more certain before i take the jump. thanks in advance.

the field is not saturated just yet, there still are job offers (look at this site)
But do not let that deter you. For example, In the late 90's a movement called "Care 2000" (obviously heaeded by a nurse)was going
to decentralize RT and Rt will fall under nursing and RTs will be doing RT work as well as CNA work, becasue of that poeple did not want to be RTs. Some hospitals did do it but found out that it did not work and went back to a traditional RT department. Which ment the demand for Rt went up.

83 months ago

maurice in Victorville, California said: dont be afraid just do it. starting salaries at some of the clinical sites ive been to are 31$ on call or 28$ fulltime which isnt bad but in the high deseret they pay crappy like 24$hourly in st mary in apple valley were i might work just to save money in gas. get it done asap

Do the math, wife did. If you get $31 an hr, its cheaper to go down the hill. The $7hr spread is $1120. You will not use that in gas :-)

83 months ago

well ive driven about 45,000 miles since i started school to go to my different clinical sites and driving far for 31$hr isnt that attractive plus i aquired back problems from driving so much according to my physical therapist. so i will take the 24 over the 31 at least for now until i get a new car. ut the jobs are out there for sure dont wait. i wasted to much time stuck in traffic.

83 months ago

Traffic really isn't that bad, where are you driving too? I have been here 5yrs and it's really not that bad. A drive to S.B is only 45-60min. Trust me. Kinda surprised your giving up that kinda of money. I know most people in V.V aren't that rich with money :-)

Your choice in the end. St Mary is a nice place though. I know a few poeple there.

ALEX SABIO in FONTANA, California

83 months ago

HEY GUYS, I GRADUATED FROM MT SAC IN 2002. I GUESS IT DEPEND WHAT SITUATION YOU ARE IN. IF I HAD A FAMILY AND NEED TO GET THROUGH SCHOOL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, I GUESS I WOULD PAY THE MONEY TO GO TO SAN JOAQUIN. YOU CAN BECOME AN RT IN LESS THAN 2 YEARS. ITS A LOT OF INFORMATION TO CRAM IN 18 MONTHS. YOU CAN THEN START WORKING AND ATTEND LLUMC AND GET YOUR BS IN ABOUT 1 YEAR. ALSO IF YOU WORK AT LLUMC, AS STAFF THEY WILL PAY 8 UNITS A YEAR FOR YOU TO ATTEND SCHOOL. IF I HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN, I THINK I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE TO GO TO MT SAC. IT TOOK ME 4 YEARS, AND IT WAS STILL AN INTENSE PROGRAM. A LOT OF THE NEW GRADS I HAVE COME ACROSS FROM SJVJC WERE VERY YOUNG AND A LITTLE IMMATURE TO BE RTS. CONSIDERING SOME WERE ONLY 19, 20, 21 YEARS OLD. GRANT IT I WAS 22 YEARS OLD WHEN I STARTED 6 YEARS AGO. A LOT OF THESE GUYS WHO ARE 19, 20 YEARS OLD DON'T HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY SOMEONE 2-3 YEARS OLDER HAVE. I'VE NOTICED THEM CALLING IN SICK TO GO TO FRIENDS HIGH SCHOOL OR COLLEGE PARTIES. I DON'T THINK I WOULD HAVE BEEN MATURE ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF SOMEONE'S LOVED ONE WHO IS DYING AT 19, 20 YEARS OLD.
NOW AS FOR A PLACE FOR EMPLOYMENT, I WOULD GO SOMEWHERE YOU ARE RESPECTED. I'VE DONE REGISTRY AT MT. ST. MARY'S AND THAT PLACE IS A JOKE. I MIGHT BE BIAS BECAUSE I WORK THERE, BUT ARROWHEAD REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER IS GREAT PLACE FOR NEW GRAD. WE HAVE AMAZING PROTOCOLS. WE RARELY DO BOGUS TREATMENTS. THE DOCTORS KNOW BETTER THAN TO WRITE FOR A BOGUS TREATMENT, CAUSE THEY KNOW WE ARE GOING TO MAKE THEM LOOK BAD. ANOTHER GOD PLACE TO WORK IS POMONA VALLEY HOSPITAL NICU. PAY IS GREAT, AND THEY ALSO HAVE EXTENSIVE PROTOCOLS. WHITTIER PRES IS ANOTHER GOOD PLACE TO START. PROTOCOLS, BUT PAY HAS HISTORICALLY BEEN BAD. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SOME MONEY WORKING CRAZY OVERTIME, LOMA LINDA IS THE PLACE TO BE. I KNOW SEVERAL RT'S WHO MADE OVER 200K LAST YEAR. THEY DON'T HAVE ANY PROTOCOLS, BUT YOU GET TO SEE A LOT OF THINGS YOU NORMALLY WOULDN'T SEE. BAS SIDE. ALWAYS SHORT STAFFED!

Neil in Phelan, California

83 months ago

What are the pay rates there? I agree with all except ARMC. I have personally heard Nurses write phony reports to cover their own butts!

Thanks

83 months ago

THEY START AT $31.91 HR. AS A CONTRACTED EMPLOYEE.CURRENTLY WE ARE UNDER NEGOTIATIONS. WE ARE SUPPOSE TO GET A 4% RAISE AND POSSIBLY AN ADDITIONAL %10. YOU DO NOT PAY INTO SSN INSTEAD THEY OPEN UP AN ING SAVINGS ACCOUNT FOR YOU WHICH THEY MATCH %50 OF. AS FAR AS RN'S WITTING ORDERS, I HAVEN'T REALLY NOTICED IT AFFECTING ME. THEY ARE CRACKING DOWN AS EVERY HOSPITAL IS WITH VERBAL AND WRITTEN ORDERS. OUR MEDICAL DIRECTOR USED TO COVER US FOR A LOT OF THINGS, I.E. IF THIS HAPPENS YOU CAN WRITE A VERBAL ORDER PER DR.... THAT'S NOT THE CASE ANYMORE, FOR THE TIMES WE DO HAVE TO OBTAIN AN ORDER WE HAVE TO JUST LET THE TEAM KNOW. I'VE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE GETTING AN ORDER FOR SOMETHING. MOST THE TIME YOU DON'T NEED AN ORDER BECAUSE WE HAVE PROTOCOLS (ABGS, VENT CHANGES, CHANGING FREQUENCY ON TREATMENTS, EVEN DC TREATMENT, ARE ALL UNDER PROTOCOL.

Neil in Barstow, California

83 months ago

maurice in Victorville, California said: dont be afraid just do it. starting salaries at some of the clinical sites ive been to are 31$ on call or 28$ fulltime which isnt bad but in the high deseret they pay crappy like 24$hourly in st mary in apple valley were i might work just to save money in gas. get it done asap

Down the hill you can get $28hr that's $640 extra a month.

83 months ago

hey alex sabio,

can you explain a little bit further about the route of getting the AS degree from say SJVC then getting the BS fro LLUMC in 1 year? The reason why i didnt want to go to SJVC was because i didnt have an option to get my bachelor's degree since they only offer an AS degree, and i know going to those schools will basically wipe out any chances of me transferring the credits to a university or another college to get the BS degree. thanks in advance.

83 months ago

I'M NOT SURE OF ALL THE DETAILS. I HAD A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE GRAD FROM SJVJC WITH AN AS IN RESP. CARE. AND GO TO LLU AFTER ONE YEAR OF WORKING AND GET HIS BS IN EMERGENCY MEDICINE. LLU OFFERS A POST GRADUATE BS IN RESPIRATORY THERAPY. THERE MIGHT BE OTHER CLASSES YOU HAVE TO TAKE THAT MAY NOT BE TRANSFERABLE. I KNOW SOMEONE THAT GOT THIER AS IN RESP THERAPY FROM CRAFTON HILLS AND GOT THIER BS IN 9 MO. IT CAN BE TOUGH BUT I HAVE SEEN IT DONE. CONTACT LLU RESPIRATORY THERAPY DEST FOR MORE DETAILS.

DawnaLee in Rocklin, California

83 months ago

i currently am in the RT program at SJVC. I graduate in 5 weeks. It is a great program. However, there is a lot of teacher turn around and it has been bumpy the last few months. Other than that. You get great experience and I found are job ready by the end. A lot of the teachers will bend over backwards to make sure you understand what is being taught. But it is about 40 hours a week school attendance and attendenace is a must. There is no tolerance for tardy or abscences.

Gage in Sacramento, California

82 months ago

ALEX SABIO in FONTANA, California said: I'M NOT SURE OF ALL THE DETAILS. I HAD A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE GRAD FROM SJVJC WITH AN AS IN RESP. CARE. AND GO TO LLU AFTER ONE YEAR OF WORKING AND GET HIS BS IN EMERGENCY MEDICINE. LLU OFFERS A POST GRADUATE BS IN RESPIRATORY THERAPY. THERE MIGHT BE OTHER CLASSES YOU HAVE TO TAKE THAT MAY NOT BE TRANSFERABLE. I KNOW SOMEONE THAT GOT THIER AS IN RESP THERAPY FROM CRAFTON HILLS AND GOT THIER BS IN 9 MO. IT CAN BE TOUGH BUT I HAVE SEEN IT DONE. CONTACT LLU RESPIRATORY THERAPY DEST FOR MORE DETAILS.

I just rgaduated from LLU's BS program this last June. I loved the program very much and I think it was worth paying all the money. One of my professors was the author of EAGEN's which is the RT bible through out the US. I went straight to LLU without getting my AS from anywhere.

The Post professional program is also available for those with an AS degree. It is a lot of work, as in they make you take 28 units a quarter and they make you take some more classes other than RT classes. I know it is expensive, but I think it is worth graduating from such a great school. so go for it.

Paul in Ontario, California

73 months ago

SJVC is an absolute joke! I attend the Rancho Cucamonga campus. A few of the teachers are total douche bags and are on their high horses!One teacher ( I use that term loosely) wrote a final and the whole class failed!

73 months ago

are you in the respiratory program if so was that teacher who you dont liuke happen to be mike or alex, those teachers are tough but hey i graduated last august by dedicating my time to school 24/7 even with 2 kids and a wife and all kinds of bills. dont give up i now make over 33$hr as a registered respiratory therapist at SBMC.

Paul in Ontario, California

73 months ago

yeah i go to the rancho cucamonga campus. There are a few teachers that I feel that are truly unfit.

Caleb in Bakersfield, California

73 months ago

I'm starting June 8th here at the Bakersfield SJVC Campus. I'm hoping the RT program pays off in the long run. I've heard from a few of the current students that it starts easy and at about the middle of the whole thing it gets really really difficult. The most recent class started with 22 and is currently down to only 6. Ha, I guess I should have asked what the passing percentage was first. Oh well, you have to do what you have to do. Now that I read the last few comments I'm hoping I luck out a little bit more in the teaching department... time will tell.

Lanikai girl in Sacramento, California

73 months ago

Ron in Victorville, California said: I am going to CCHS "IU". I called them, the lady I talked to was rude and short at JC. I went back to Concorde and tested out, paid the fee, then some personal stuff came up and ended up with CCHS.

Glad it worked out for you! There is another school going in around Ontario. Off the 10fwy I think. More and more schools going in.

Did you have any difficulty securing a clinical site? I'm looking into the CCHS program too.

diana in Elk Grove, California

72 months ago

how much is the respiratory therapy program at SJVC?

72 months ago

about 26k

72 months ago

was it hard to get in to? waiting list? i'm really thinking about it. i have a appt to go to the school next week.

72 months ago

Was it hard to get in? Yes and No. I completed the whole applying and acceptance process in about 2-3 weeks. It consists of 3 different tests and a interview with the head of the program at the school you're applying for. The reason I say it is slightly difficult is because its a first come, first serve basis. So unfortunately, even if you're maybe more qualified for the program then someone whose already accepted, you may have to wait for the next start date or two to roll around. From my understanding they have about two classes a year. Hope that helps you out. But if you really really want to get in don't let anything discourage you. Work with your counselors and they'll work with you.

72 months ago

thank you so much. so it's really not based on background experience like the nursing schools is it? can u tell me a little about the tests involved...thank you

72 months ago

No, not at all. Actually you don't need any college whatsoever. The only benefit to having recently gone through schooling is in the test taking. The first test is an assessment/qualification test. Don't let it freak you out. Its really not very difficult. It consists of English, spelling, reading and punctuation, and Math, pretty much everything up to advanced algebra. It takes about an hour and a half. The second test is more program orientated. Its more Math and English plus some vocational stuff. Like my counselor had told me, they really don't expect you to know much in the vocational area. Ha, its really hard. That one takes about 3 hours or so depending on how quickly you take tests. The last test is a post acceptance readiness test that just lets you know what areas you are weak in and that you need to study prior to starting the program. Once again, don't worry about the tests. One cool thing about them is though it is graded per say, the scores are broken down into above average, average, and below average. So say you do horrible in the vocational part, ha which once again is really hard, and only get a 30%, its safe to say you probably still fall into the average arena. No problem on the questions. I'll tell you what I can but you'll find out everything you need to know at your meeting. Best of luck!

72 months ago

thanx caleb!!!

RT-Hopeful in San Bernardino, California

72 months ago

Ron in Victorville, California said: I am going to CCHS "IU". I called them, the lady I talked to was rude and short at JC. I went back to Concorde and tested out, paid the fee, then some personal stuff came up and ended up with CCHS.

Hi Ron,
I know this board is about a different school, but I was wondering if you have finished your classes at IU? I would be interested in hearing about your externship and how everything went for you.

people need to make $ also dummy in Rancho Cucamonga, California

69 months ago

J.D. in Sacramento, California said: THERE IS FAR TOO MUCH TALK ABOUT MONEY HERE!! ~ GET INTO THE RESPIRATORY THERAPY PROGRAM ONLY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN HELPING PEOPLE BREATH! ~If you ENJOY what you do, the money will ALWAYS follow...saturation or not.

get off your high horse! people need to make $ also dummy

Ashley in Claremont, California

66 months ago

Caleb in Bakersfield, California said: No, not at all. Actually you don't need any college whatsoever. The only benefit to having recently gone through schooling is in the test taking. The first test is an assessment/qualification test. Don't let it freak you out. Its really not very difficult. It consists of English, spelling, reading and punctuation, and Math, pretty much everything up to advanced algebra. It takes about an hour and a half. The second test is more program orientated. Its more Math and English plus some vocational stuff. Like my counselor had told me, they really don't expect you to know much in the vocational area. Ha, its really hard. That one takes about 3 hours or so depending on how quickly you take tests. The last test is a post acceptance readiness test that just lets you know what areas you are weak in and that you need to study prior to starting the program. Once again, don't worry about the tests. One cool thing about them is though it is graded per say, the scores are broken down into above average, average, and below average. So say you do horrible in the vocational part, ha which once again is really hard, and only get a 30%, its safe to say you probably still fall into the average arena. No problem on the questions. I'll tell you what I can but you'll find out everything you need to know at your meeting. Best of luck!

im going to be taking the first assessment test on wed. december 23 im pretty nervous about the math part. how advanced is the test? ive gone through college algebra but i need to brush up on it. what kind of questions were asked?

66 months ago

The math is just basic. You can expect alot of stuff involving fractions. Brush up on your addition, mult., and division, of fractions. Besides that you might get some formulas but none of it goes beyond Algebra 2. Don't worry about it, really don't worry about it. I'm in my second term now and finally am out at the clinic site. I love it. Go through all the junk classes just to get to the clinicals. Well worth it. Best of luck.

66 months ago

ok great thank you!! i will brush up on my fractions. how do you like the program? is it worth the money? what campus are you at?

66 months ago

ok sounds good to me, lets just hope i get into the program! im applying to the rancho cucamonga campus

65 months ago

well i passed the assesment test, any advice for the aptitude test i take tomorrow? is the math the same as the assesment? im just worried about the science.

behappy in Santa Ana, California

63 months ago

Hi Ron,

I am looking into IU for RT school. Are you still attending? How has it been for you? I appreciate any insight

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.