a good career choice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1373)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

ed in Kalamazoo, Michigan

94 months ago

I am a paramedic and looking into RT as a change of career. Paramedics only make on average about 30-38K A year and usually no room for advancement. Any advise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (105) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

92 months ago

ed in Kalamazoo, Michigan said: I am a paramedic and looking into RT as a change of career. Paramedics only make on average about 30-38K A year and usually no room for advancement. Any advise?

Ed,
Try salary wizard or payscale.com for salary information. I researched Kalamazoo, Michigan and the average is $50,000/year for Respiratory Therapists. In my area San Diego, California the average is $48,000/year. I have been working in the healthcare field as a Respiratory Therapist for 8 years. My first year as a Per Diem employee with Paradise Valley Hospital I worked with patients on the floors and in the ER suctioning, giving bronchodilator and (IPPB)Intermittent Pulmonary Pressure breathing treatments, (ABG)Arterial Blood gases, (CPT)Chest Physiotherapy...etc. and with critical ventilator patients in the ICU arenas and earned a mere $19,340/year which included overtime. Insufficient compensation for a very demanding, very intense, fast paced work environment which was due to lack of staffing. And this nationwide staffing shortage is expected to grow worse in the coming years. I started working with Scripps in a different arena at $19,792/year and for 7 years I have enjoyed testing patients' lung function utilizing state of the art computer equipment in our Pulmonary Diagnotics Lab including treadmill exercises. After our department fought for fair pay and provided evidence of the market salary average Scripps not only adjusted individual salaries in our department but increased our department payscale for future incoming Respiratory Therapists. I am currently earning $54,267/year. If you are serious about changing your career I would recommend Nursing. The earning potential and advancement is much greater in this field. And it is in high demand. I hope this helps. Good luck and always remember "Don't just be good at what you do, be great"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

lizabeth in Buffalo, New York

88 months ago

i am also doing my prerequisites for the healthcare feilds. i am having a hard time choosing over respiratory therapist, and dental hygienist. i get a better vibe from the respiratory therapists end, but i hear that dental hygiene pays more. any suggestions, anyone who is a respiratory therapist or a dental hygienist, does dental/respiratory get free health insurance? i know thats a big factor to add in..help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

ciaociao in San Carlos, California

88 months ago

working as a respiratory therapist in three different states with a considerable amount of experience has led me to the same conclusion: respiratory is a terrible choice! i absolutely would not do this over again, not even for twice the money and much improved work conditions. what a miserable existance. it is NOT a career. don't let anyone tell you that you can have a career in rt. rt's don't have "careers," they have jobs. rn's can have carers because they can advance. the only way to "advance" as an rt is to become an rt manager - not a fun job. imagine managing a bunch of tired burnt out rt's that wish they would have chosen something else.....nursing is a MUCH better choice. you do the numbers. talk to rt's - talk to nurses - and whatever you do: do not go into rt because nursing had a waiting list. i hear this soooo often via rt students that rotate through our hospital. if you're really on the fence, go into nursing and thank yourself later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (137) Reply - Report abuse

ciaociao in San Carlos, California

88 months ago

i also forgot to say: dental hygiene is a great choice. and....... you can get benefits with a pt position. it can be done. they make a great salary and have a position that commands respect. you can always get your own health insurance (i do) and it isn't that expensive. i am a single 34 year old and spent less than $200 a month on kaiser. not considering dental hygiene as a pt option instead of ft rt is stupid. taking pt dental hygiene and getting bene's elsewhere is a mcuh "healthier" option. you do your homework!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

Elisa in New York, New York

88 months ago

Hello, Stacey

I'm very sorry about your mom and I see how you may be intrested in this field. It is one of the fastest growing health professions and employnent is projected to increase throughout the years. All I could suggest to you, is to do your research and follow your heart. Many people have alot to say about this field, negative and positive, but you should look up the annual base salary rate in your state, as well as estimated bonuses, social security benefits, 401K/403B, Health Care, Pensions, Sick Days and Vacation Time.

You may also work your way up as a Medical Health Service Manager, They are usually employed at homecare facilities, nursing homes, and hospitals.

Respiratory Therapist are needed in Hospitals, Nursing homes, Physicians Office, Sleep Disorder Clinics and Home Health Care Settings.

Check out Flight Respiratory Therapist at www.usairambulance.net.
Traveling Respiratory Therapist -www.onwardhealthcare.com - (free housing and free health care)
www.payscale.com
The U.S.Bereau of Labor Statistics

I also just started school at The Borough of Manhattan Community College and I'm sticking to Respiratory Therapy and after obtaining my Associates Degree, I'm going for a Bachelor's Degree Completion Program, an Associates Degree is a pre-requisite for entering an Advance Program. I'm not completely sure, but I believe that in the state of New York a Bachelor's Degree Completion Program in the field of Respiratory Therapy is one year vs the norm, which is four years.

Get your facts together and stick to your goals, feel free to reply at any time .Good luck, Stacey!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

uli2000 in Reno, Nevada

88 months ago

My first few years as an RT I made about 32-36k a year in Phoenix, where at the time the market was saturated. I now work in a rural hospital in NV. I made over 80k last year, but had tons of OT and call backs (no night shift, we take night call).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Munster, Indiana

88 months ago

It's funny how people are all saying go to nursing! From many nurses that I've talked to, they say they wish they went into Respiratory Therapy because being a Nurse is too stressful and the RT's always look like they are taking it easy compared to the nurses. Nurses have a chance to advance, but look how incredibaly high the burn out rate is. Just do what you think you would like more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (133) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Alvin in Whittier, California

88 months ago

I've just recently discovered RT's. My moms friend is an RT and loves it. I'm deciding it I'm making the right choice. I've had many jobs but no career yet. I'm thinking this is giong to be my career. I've followed him around and i love it so far. Any comments????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Alvin in Whittier, California said: I've just recently discovered RT's. My moms friend is an RT and loves it. I'm deciding it I'm making the right choice. I've had many jobs but no career yet. I'm thinking this is giong to be my career. I've followed him around and i love it so far. Any comments????

Alvin,
I am on my ninth year in the field. I like helping people and I enjoy what I do. But it isn't for everyone. Thoroughly research all occupations you are interested in. Shadowing your Mom's friend is an excellent idea. Personally experiencing what a Respiratory Therapist's day entails will help you decide if it is the career for you. I wish you well. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Alvin in Whittier, California

88 months ago

Rolinda, thanks for the comment!!! i appreciate it a lot..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Natalie in Chula Vista, California

88 months ago

it's great that i'm hearing from so many people in my area in san diego! well i appreciate all of this feedback from REAL PEOPLE--as opposed to some sweeping generality and scattered statistics from a website. WELL HERES MY QUESTION, im 19, and i want to get into RESPIRATORY THERAPY. my parents dont want me deal with loans after finishing school...and i want to assure them that my salary will be sufficient.WILL IT? ..and can i get a well-paying job with an associates?..(even if i plan to eventually work on my bachelors?)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

nick in Sandy, Utah

87 months ago

I have been talking with one of my local schools about respiratory therapy; why choose respiratory therapy, because no one can live without air. The only thing that is holding me back is the cost. They told me it would be 59,500 and I almost stopped breathing myself. Is this average or should I run away and look some where else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Natalie in Chula Vista, California said: it's great that i'm hearing from so many people in my area in san diego! well i appreciate all of this feedback from REAL PEOPLE--as opposed to some sweeping generality and scattered statistics from a website. WELL HERES MY QUESTION, im 19, and i want to get into RESPIRATORY THERAPY. my parents dont want me deal with loans after finishing school...and i want to assure them that my salary will be sufficient.WILL IT? ..and can i get a well-paying job with an associates?..(even if i plan to eventually work on my bachelors?)

Hi Natalie, My advice is to do your research. Look into any occupations that interest you. If possible, shadow a Respiratory Therapist, as Alvin, another poster is doing to personally experience what a Respiratory Therapist's day entails. An Associate's Degree is the minimum requirement to be a RT. If you decide a career as a Respiratory Therapist is for you, I recommend attending an Accredited 2 year Respiratory Therapy program at a Community College such as Grossmont Community College in El Cajon. They have an excellent program. Not only will this be cost effective but your Class Courses will transfer to a University College, as you pursue your Bachelor's Degree. If you are unemployed while you attend school you can apply for Grants which you will not have to pay back as opposed to Loans. The Grants will be sufficient for tuition and textbooks. I'm sure your parents will help with other expenses such as Lab Coat, Stethoscope....etc. As far as the salary...With the shortage of Respiratory Therapists, it is increasing along with demand and already close to Nurses'. For example, My coworker with over 30 years experience was recruited by a competitor, offered $36.00/hr along with a $2,500.00 sign on bonus to work for them. She of course cannot pass that offer up!. Unfortunately she will be leaving us. Then that offer was raised to $37.00/hr. It is well deserved. I wish you well. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Sandra in Munster, Indiana said: It's funny how people are all saying go to nursing! From many nurses that I've talked to, they say they wish they went into Respiratory Therapy because being a Nurse is too stressful and the RT's always look like they are taking it easy compared to the nurses. Nurses have a chance to advance, but look how incredibaly high the burn out rate is. Just do what you think you would like more.

Yes, The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence, until we get there and find it isn't as green as we thought. Keep in mind that Nurses far outnumber Respiratory Therapists yet we care for the same patients. We are all feeling the stress. Burnout is not uncommon. The bright side is with the shortage of Healthcare Professionals our salaries are increasing with demand, especially for those with experience. And interest in our field is growing. New Professionals will help relieve the shortage and alleviate the stress. I believe no matter what circumstance, attitude means everything. It is how we perceive our situation. I truly enjoy what I do. I like helping people. I wish everyone well. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

stacey in Dearborn, Michigan

87 months ago

so I started classes at my community college for respiratory therapy. Right now I'm in medical terminology and anatomy getting basics out of the way. Well I'm doing fine in anatomy but in medical terminolgy I'm havin trouble. I mean i just can't remember alll the words. I think its cause I don't find it interesting...is this going to be a problem for me in the future for becoming a respiratory therapist??? I'm interested in the lungs n all but other diseases and stuff I'm just like not "into" it. any comments would be thankful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Yuba City, California

87 months ago

I've read most of the stuff on this page, and it's really helped. I've been thinking about going to school for a RT job, but i am kinda stuck. I've been at community college just waiting to find my true calling, so i already have my AA. Can anybody suggest a good RT college in Northern California?? I've looked a lot on the internet at schools, and the only ones i see are schools like Heald and San Juaquine Valley College. Not to say that they aren't good schools, but if i can get the school from a UC or SCU, i'd rather do that. If anybody knows any classes to take at community college or where to go to school, i'd appreciate the advice!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kellie Robison in Grand Rapids, Michigan

87 months ago

What kind of difference in salary should I expect if I just get my RRT certification at a community college and do not go on to get a bachelor's? Also, I would like to work specifically with premature infants and am wondering if it requires any special classes or training? I was planning on going to MCCC in MI because its the 2nd cheapest school in MI and they didnt have a wait list for the respiratory program and when I talked to the director of the program she said they indeed did not have a wait list but they just picked the top 30 students per year out of 100 or so!!!! Now im second guessing. Ive already been in school for a few years bouncing around from major to major and I thought I really decided what I wanted to do. Now im looking at sonography or RT. I just want something with stability, a decent salary, and not more than a 2 year program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Janine in Tulsa, Oklahoma

87 months ago

Kellie - I am in the same boat way over here in Tulsa. The demand is great here and I have already had the opportunity to shadow ICU, NICU, and the "meat and potatoes" of respiratory being the breathing treatments. The current sign on bonus is $7,000 at one of our local hospitals. They even offer scholarships if you commit to work for them after you graduate (of course for a small amount of time) I have already been accepted into an advanced RT program and I plan to start in the Fall of 2008. I get excited but then seem to wonder if I will be able to handle the imaginable stress of codes. It's a bit hard to change direction mid stream of my life. My question for everyone is did you feel unsure when you first started RT school or at least until you got the proper training and started clinicals? Also, how do you keep a positive attitude being around very ill people all the time? Is there hope in seeing that you do your job well and just enjoy being a small part of their healing process? Sonography sounds great as well but not sure it's for me...
---Here's to making the best decision for our daily work week life no matter what we choose to major in!!!!:) Thanks in advance for any feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Abilene, Texas

87 months ago

I am kind of in the same boat as you. I want a change and I am leaning towards RT. What is sonography? Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I interviewed a sonographer and Rad Manager one day on the phone... they actually laughed when I mentioned getting a Bachelors of Science in Sonography from OU Medical School. I told them it was a personal choice to get the Bachelors. They came across as having a bad day and very complacent about their jobs/department. Knowingly I marked it off as simply their perspective - not everyones. However, after looking at the pros and cons - and day in the life of "sonographer" I can't help but notice the physical strains of the job - i.e. musculoskeletal injuries and so forth - Also, it "seems" more diagnostic and not so hands on and theraputic to the patient. Which at times seems a plus - it definitely gets confusing to me which direction to go...
It truly seems in the medical profession - as I shadow or interview people about their jobs- that it's personal.. so personal for each individual to become this or that... I can talk to 3 RT's and get burnout from one and excitement from the next..It's almost like it's a calling to serve people in such a way that you can bear the burden of their illness when taking care of them regardless if it's Sonography, Nursing, or RT. It has to be made with a heart for people not so much the money - although in reality it's a necessity to make enough to "live" on. Thanks for "listening" ! Good luck as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alvin in Los Angeles, California

87 months ago

I've applied to a community college near my home in california which is Mt San Antonio College. But I also applied to Concorde College which is a Tech School which is 1 and 4 months. But also very expensive. I have debting maybe I should just go with Concorde so I do not have to wait till next fall for the Communityt College to start. Any advice will help me. Should I just try for Concorde or wait and go to a Community College?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

stacey in Dearborn, Michigan said: so I started classes at my community college for respiratory therapy. Right now I'm in medical terminology and anatomy getting basics out of the way. Well I'm doing fine in anatomy but in medical terminolgy I'm havin trouble. I mean i just can't remember alll the words. I think its cause I don't find it interesting...is this going to be a problem for me in the future for becoming a respiratory therapist??? I'm interested in the lungs n all but other diseases and stuff I'm just like not "into" it. any comments would be thankful.

Hi Stacey, When first starting out the amount of information we are inundated with is understandably overwhelming. The unfamiliar usually is. No worries, the medical terms will come easier in time and will prove useful while in the field. In Physiology you will learn how detrimental chemical imbalances can be to our bodies. In the Respiratory Therapy Program when you start Pathophysiology you will learn how diseases effect our organ systems and how it relates to our lungs. Clinical Rotations will help you connect all the puzzle pieces. This is where everything came together for me; when it all made sense. Keep up with you studies. I wish you well. Good Journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Janine in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Kellie - I am in the same boat way over here in Tulsa. The demand is great here and I have already had the opportunity to shadow ICU, NICU, and the "meat and potatoes" of respiratory being the breathing treatments. The current sign on bonus is $7,000 at one of our local hospitals. They even offer scholarships if you commit to work for them after you graduate (of course for a small amount of time) I have already been accepted into an advanced RT program and I plan to start in the Fall of 2008. I get excited but then seem to wonder if I will be able to handle the imaginable stress of codes. It's a bit hard to change direction mid stream of my life. My question for everyone is did you feel unsure when you first started RT school or at least until you got the proper training and started clinicals? Also, how do you keep a positive attitude being around very ill people all the time? Is there hope in seeing that you do your job well and just enjoy being a small part of their healing process? Sonography sounds great as well but not sure it's for me...
---Here's to making the best decision for our daily work week life no matter what we choose to major in!!!!:) Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi Janine, Yes, I felt unsure until I started Clinical Rotations. This is where everything I was learning came together for me and my confidence grew. My Faith/Religion help me stay positive. I enjoy my coworkers who have a great sense of humor which brightens our day. Our goals are similar. I care for our patients as I would a family member. And I don't carry burdens from work home with me. We are privileged with the opportunity to use our knowledge and skills to help other people. Together my coworkers and I provide the best care for our patients. I truly feel I make a difference and each time a patient returns to hug me and thank me, or brings in boxes of cookies or doughnuts to share with my coworkers I know I have. Good Journey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Elijah O in Fresno, California

87 months ago

Hello all,
I've read all of these postings and all have been interesting and informative. I am looking for an answer to a specific question. I've been a medic in the military for about 3.5 yrs and I'm thinking about re-enlisting. Currently, I'm in Iraq on my 2nd deployment. I want to re-enlist for a job in Monterey, CA working in a clinic and also get into a RT program around that area. First of all, is this feasible? From the many of you who are currently in programs/school for Resp. Therapy, do you think one with high motivation and dedication would be able to accomplish this? Also, are there programs which would allow me to do my AS schooling in the evening/night? Any info/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Alvin in Los Angeles, California said: I've applied to a community college near my home in california which is Mt San Antonio College. But I also applied to Concorde College which is a Tech School which is 1 and 4 months. But also very expensive. I have debting maybe I should just go with Concorde so I do not have to wait till next fall for the Communityt College to start. Any advice will help me. Should I just try for Concorde or wait and go to a Community College?

Hi Alvin, Unless your time frame is limited, why not wait until next fall, attend a Community College and reduce your expenses? Technical Schools can be quite expensive. Ultimately it is your decision. What ever you decide make sure the Respiratory Therapy Program is Accredited. The minimum requirement to be a Respiratory Therapist is an Associate's Degree and in order to sit for the CRT test the Respiratory Care Board requires graduation from an Accredited Respiratory Therapy Program. I wish you well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Thank you so-o-o much Rolinda for your reply... I always enjoy reading your responses to the questions in this forum. You're not only helpful to your patients but to all of us that are still "figuring things out!" Best wishes...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Carolina...Delray Beach in Kimberton, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

I have just been told by a school in Delray...IMAP that even though they are not accredited by CAHEPP...they do have accreditation with ABHES.ORG

Does any one know if the following accreditation is good:

ABHES.ORG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sissy in Johnson City, Tennessee

87 months ago

I'm in school right now, at ETSU and their program is a 4year program as an rrt, this is probably the best way to go, more pay if is 4 years than 2 years but do yal know what the average pay for resp.therapist with a 4 year degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Carolina...Delray Beach in Kimberton, Pennsylvania said: I have just been told by a school in Delray...IMAP that even though they are not accredited by CAHEPP...they do have accreditation with ABHES.ORG

Does any one know if the following accreditation is good:

ABHES.ORG

Hi Carolina, I advise contacting the (NBRC)National Board for Respiratory Care, Inc. personally to confirm validity of this school's Accreditation through (ABHES.ORG)Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools. According to the NBRC website www.nbrc.org, the CRT Admission Requirement is Applicants shall have a minimum of an Associate Degree from a Respiratory Therapy Education Program supported by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care(CoARC), or its predecessor the Joint Review Committee for Respiratory Therapy Education(JRCRTE), or Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs(CAAHEP). In order to sit for the CRT test the Respiratory Therapy Program you graduate from must be Accredited by one of these organizations approved by the NBRC. I wish you well. Good Journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

amber in Cincinnati, Ohio

87 months ago

ed in Kalamazoo, Michigan said: I am a paramedic and looking into RT as a change of career. Paramedics only make on average about 30-38K A year and usually no room for advancement. Any advise?

i'm a RT and there is definately no where to go after you become RRT. Go for radiology I'll c-ya there!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

amber in Cincinnati, Ohio

87 months ago

Hey Rolinda in Chula Vista!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in San Diego, California

87 months ago

amber in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Hey Rolinda in Chula Vista!!!

Hi Amber, Best wishes to you. Peace and Good Journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Hi Stacey, When first starting out the amount of information we are inundated with is understandably overwhelming. The unfamiliar usually is. No worries, the medical terms will come easier in time and will prove useful while in the field. In Physiology you will learn how detrimental chemical imbalances can be to our bodies. In the Respiratory Therapy Program when you start Pathophysiology you will learn how diseases effect our organ systems and how it relates to our lungs. Clinical Rotations will help you connect all the puzzle pieces. This is where everything came together for me; when it all made sense. Keep up with you studies. I wish you well. Good Journey.

thanks I feel better now. I guess I'm just nervous cause I can't remember all the terms and diseases as quick as everyone else. I started second guessing myself. I got really nervous too because if this is just the beginning and I'm having a lot of trouble...will I be able to handle the rest?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vikki in Port Jefferson, New York

87 months ago

I work in NY & I make around ~54K a yr & that's w/o overtime, work 3 12hr shifts a wk and currently have 2yrs of experience. Most therapist I know have 2 jobs: a full-time & a per-diem job. The per-diem rate ranges from $25-34/hr depending if you got your RRT license [may I add is additional $2K a yr, currently waiting for my RRT license in the mail]. Most of my co-workers make over 85K w/ overtime.

I currently could make more if I worked at a different hospital but my job offers great benefits compared to other hospitals in the area. I'm talking about 3-5K more but they have no union & lower health benefits. I personally like have a union and better health benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

stacey in Dearborn, Michigan said: thanks I feel better now. I guess I'm just nervous cause I can't remember all the terms and diseases as quick as everyone else. I started second guessing myself. I got really nervous too because if this is just the beginning and I'm having a lot of trouble...will I be able to handle the rest?

Hi Stacey, After working as a Graphic Artist for 10 years and experiencing my third lay off due to my employer's loss of contracts and revenue I decided I needed a change. My Mom was simultaneously diagnosed with cancer. While accompanying my Mom to her appointments I observed the excellent care she received from all of her Healthcare Providers and realized I wanted to be a part of that. My Mom suggested Respiratory Therapy. Later that evening while watching TV I saw a commercial advertising a Respiratory Therapy Program at Grossmont Community College. After speaking with a Counselor about my interest in their Program and finding out what was required I registered immediately and applied for the Respiratory Therapy Program. I had been away from school for quite awhile, over 10 years and had to work twice as hard as everyone else to keep up. I learned to use mnemonics to help me remember things, I spent countless extra hours in each Lab and joined study groups which helped me immensely. It wasn't easy, but I was highly motivated and all my hard work paid off. I did very well. And I know you can too. I earned my Associate's Degree, Graduated, Passed my Respiratory Board Exams, Received my License and during the later part of my first year in my new career as a Respiratory Therapist my Mom passed away. I empathize with you losing your Mom. I hope this helps. Keep up with your studies. Good Journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Aisha in Salisbury, Maryland

87 months ago

I'm corrently a respiratory therapy major in a university, but I'm thinking of going back to a two years college to get an associate degree because of the tuition. Could anyone give me an advice please?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Aisha in Salisbury, Maryland

87 months ago

I'm corrently a respiratory therapy major in a university, but I'm thinking of going back to a two years college to get an associate degree because of the tuition. Could anyone give me an advice please?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I just want to wish everyone well, especially those living in Southern California who have lost their homes and possessions during the devastating Firestorm we are currently experiencing. I am grateful for all our Firefighters and their effort in fighting the ravaging fires. Stay safe, God Bless you all and Good Journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I have a question..I can either stay at my community college and get my associates then transfer and get my bachelors or just transfer now and work toward my bachelors...any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sylvia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

Hello, I am currently attending a community college in Lancastet,PA for Respiratory Therapy. I work as a pulmonary equipment aide to learn more about the field and the respiratory equipment. Every time I see the therapist performing the jobs I get an overwhelming rush, I think is so great. I also looked at nursing and it doesn't call me at all, "only the salary". I see myself as an RT already and loving my future career. I am just conflicted with the salary. Every person I talk to gives me a different salary range. I just want to make sure that I will be able to support myself while doing the job I love. I noticed that different web-sites have different salaries. Can anybody in the PA area clarify salaries for me?
Thank You for any feedback...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Hi Stacey, Attending a University College can be financially draining. If this is not a limiting factor for you then transferring now and working towards your Bachelors Degree is a great idea. I wish you well Stacey. Keep up with your studies. Peace and Good Journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Susan D. in West Warwick, Rhode Island

86 months ago

stacey in Dearborn, Michigan said: so I started classes at my community college for respiratory therapy. Right now I'm in medical terminology and anatomy getting basics out of the way. Well I'm doing fine in anatomy but in medical terminolgy I'm havin trouble. I mean i just can't remember alll the words. I think its cause I don't find it interesting...is this going to be a problem for me in the future for becoming a respiratory therapist??? I'm interested in the lungs n all but other diseases and stuff I'm just like not "into" it. any comments would be thankful.

If you cannot understand the terms in the charts, yes you will have problems. As a respiratory therapist, you don't deal with just the lungs. You are dealing with the whole patient. You cannot be a respiratory therapist or pass your boards without being able to understand medical terminology.. you better get studying!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Sissy Lamale in Johnson City, Tennessee

86 months ago

I would honestly go and get your bachelors, more pay! and having a bachelors degree means you can become director of the department, with an associates you can't. i would skip the community and go for the college. good luck with your decision,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Alvin in Hacienda Heights, California

86 months ago

I have a question. I'm applying to Concorde College and SJVC but looks like there is a waiting list. These colleges are in California. Would I be able to attend a school out of state? I live in california so i was wondering if i would be able to go to las vegas to do the RT program at Apollo college? does this matter when im done with school???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hawk in Springfield, Illinois

86 months ago

stacey in Dearborn, Michigan said: I just started school at a community college and am wanting to get into the respiratory therapy program but I heard theres a waiting list...
I don't know how long the list is but I wanted to know overall if I should wait to get put on it? is it worth it? my mom passed away because of a respiratory failure she had emphysema, bad asthma etc. so i became interested in it. If someone could tell me if its worth the wait and everything I would feel better and have a better idea of what I should do...because right now I'm debating if I should find another field.

I've been in Respiratory for 15 years. I'm trying to continue education to a field that has better advancement or better pay. Don't get me wrong, you can make a comfortable living as a Respiratory Therapist. Average in central Illinois is $35-$55,000 a year depending on experience. What I suggest...get a Bachelors in Science! It opens so many doors. The list is endless. A two year degree in Physician Assistant programs can pay $80-$150,000 a year. Thats a physician salary. My best friend has been a PA-C, (Certified Physician Assistant) for just over a year and makes $110,000 a year. Great demand over the next 10 years. RT is a good job, but for a two year program, there is better available. Good Luck!

Hawk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cavitron in miami, Florida

86 months ago

myle in San Diego, California said: I was in the same position as you. I choose the path of respiratory therapy. I have one more year left. Sure, you do get paid A LOT more being a RDH. Most dentist employ hygienists part time. Therefore, you will not get health benefits. As a respiratory therapist you do (excluding per diem). I was a dental assistant for 5 years. I am happy with the choice I made.

Hope that helps.

It is so true . It's sad but I only work 2 days , I fax over 140 resumes and only 4 responded back. I'm BROKE AND CONSIDER GOING BACK TO SCHOOL FOR NURSING SOON.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsay in Charleston, West Virginia

86 months ago

lizabeth in Buffalo, New York said: i am also doing my prerequisites for the healthcare feilds. i am having a hard time choosing over respiratory therapist, and dental hygienist. i get a better vibe from the respiratory therapists end, but i hear that dental hygiene pays more. any suggestions, anyone who is a respiratory therapist or a dental hygienist, does dental/respiratory get free health insurance? i know thats a big factor to add in..help!

I went to school for Dental Hygiene, and decided I wanted to be a Respiratory Therapist instead. It was the best decision I could have made between the two. Depending on where you work, a RT will make more. You will also be doing a number of things being an RT vs. cleaning peoples mouths all day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

roro in Nashua, New Hampshire

86 months ago

All of your opinions have been very helpful.Thank you very much. I was on the verge of attending the resp. therapy classes and was a bit undecided and found many people here i identified with. You have all managed to educate me and help me feel more confident about making such a life changing decision.... Thank you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brenda in Glen Burnie, Maryland

86 months ago

RCPs have you ever considered starting your own Respiratory Business? There are lots of opportunities available for honest, hard working, professional Respiratory Entrepreneurs. I've met RCPs who've made over a million dollars a year managing their own company. Before you jump ship, spend more money on education or flat out give up consider one of the many business opportunities in Respiratory Care.

I am a witness that there is a whole lot of money to be made by an RCP outside of the daily hospital grind. If anyone is interested in really getting paid for their education and expertise visit www.respiratoryentrepreneur.com. It may change your perspective on the value of your Respiratory experience and education.

Good Luck,
Brenda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.