How is the Respiratory Therapy Program at East LA Community College?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 97)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

rtintraining in Chino Hills, California

68 months ago

How is the Respiratory Therapy Program at East LA Community College? I heard UCLA hires most of the graduates from ELAC since they work so close together during clinicals??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kate75 in WeHo, California

66 months ago

rtintraining in Chino Hills, California said: How is the Respiratory Therapy Program at East LA Community College? I heard UCLA hires most of the graduates from ELAC since they work so close together during clinicals??

My husband graduated from ELAC and SMC, it is a joint program. He said SMC is better than ELAC, but SMC offer only first year class, so he had to finish his A.S. degree at ELAC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Torrance, California

66 months ago

I'm currently in a RT program at SMC. The theoretical program is offered at SMC and 2nd year hands on training/ Clinical is offered at ELAC in partnership with UCLA medical center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ElacRT in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

I just graduated from the ELAC/SMC Advanced RT program. I enrolled in the fast track program and completed the first and second year courses in ONE year, so I completed everything in two years. I saw alot of first year students fail out of the program, but that's because they didn't study. Mel Welch is the clincial instructor and Mike Carr is the program director, both are well known in the world of respiratory care. I recommend the program. Apply for financial aid. I got all of my books for free, I got free tuition and $2300 a semester in spending money. Our program is known for
producing knowledgable graduates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

RT001 in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

No enough jobs for new graduates, too many students in Southern California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ElacRT

65 months ago

RT 001 I agree. There are too many RT schools in California. If these schools keep producing graduates at this rate, it's going to kill the profession and RT wages are going take a hit. The RT scope of practice also needs to grow in California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa Hellwig in Whittier, California

65 months ago

ElacRT in Los Angeles, California said: I just graduated from the ELAC/SMC Advanced RT program. I enrolled in the fast track program and completed the first and second year courses in ONE year, so I completed everything in two years. I saw alot of first year students fail out of the program, but that's because they didn't study. Mel Welch is the clincial instructor and Mike Carr is the program director, both are well known in the world of respiratory care. I recommend the program. Apply for financial aid. I got all of my books for free, I got free tuition and $2300 a semester in spending money. Our program is known for

I just got accepted into the program after being on a waiting list and i am super overwhelmed with these classes and i have n't even strated yet, is there any advice or help you can give me... my email is nesser9999@yahoo.com thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Vanessa Hellwig in Whittier, California said: I just got accepted into the program after being on a waiting list and i am super overwhelmed with these classes and i have n't even strated yet, is there any advice or help you can give me... my email is nesser9999@yahoo.com thank you

Hi. It's no secret that studying is required for successful completion of the program. Nothing is more important the studying. So be prepared to scarfice your free time. Are you a first year student? Also, begin to get familar with the concepts of pressure, flow, volume and how they relate to each other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I am a first year student...did you go to ELAC or SMC campus for classes? i have a full plate with RT 29 RT60 RT1 and RT21.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Tim in Torrance, California said: I'm currently in a RT program at SMC. The theoretical program is offered at SMC and 2nd year hands on training/ Clinical is offered at ELAC in partnership with UCLA medical center.

Hey Tim So how is the program so far??? any advice notes or tips you can hand over? i start in the fall at the SMC campus

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

ElacRT in Los Angeles, California said: I just graduated from the ELAC/SMC Advanced RT program. I enrolled in the fast track program and completed the first and second year courses in ONE year, so I completed everything in two years. I saw alot of first year students fail out of the program, but that's because they didn't study. Mel Welch is the clincial instructor and Mike Carr is the program director, both are well known in the world of respiratory care. I recommend the program. Apply for financial aid. I got all of my books for free, I got free tuition and $2300 a semester in spending money. Our program is known for

What advice can you give me i was on the waiting list and just got accepted to the SMC-bundy campus do you have any books or notes or any help you can pass over! please help me out!

65 months ago

Vanessa Hellwig in Whittier, California said: I am a first year student...did you go to ELAC or SMC campus for classes? i have a full plate with RT 29 RT60 RT1 and RT21.

I went to Elac for all the courses. Your load isn't that bad. Your taking these classes in the fall right? RT1 is very easy, its just an intro class. RT 21 is a physics class, its pretty easy alot of basic algebra, gas laws and formulas. RT 29 and 60 are both one class. This is probably going to be your hardest class. RT 60,29 and RT 21 kinda of overlap.In RT 60 is all about pulmonary physiology, like: Mechanics of ventilation, Acid-base regulation, ventilation -perfusion mismatch, and anatomy. Buy the book now and get a head start!

65 months ago

It just sounded really over whelming when speaking to Profesor Welch. Do you have any of your books that i could buy from you or any notes that can give me a head start before the semester begins. You see i live in whittier and i will be commuting to the SMC campus and ELAC for Physics 21. I am not that great in math so thats what i am most worried about. AHHH.lol

Shao in Montebello, California

65 months ago

How long did it take you guys to be accepted into the program?

65 months ago

It took me 6 months to get accepted into the program, i was on a waiting list i guess i got pretty lucky and all.

Shao in Montebello, California

65 months ago

Vanessa Hellwig in Whittier, California said: It took me 6 months to get accepted into the program, i was on a waiting list i guess i got pretty lucky and all.

does the program only start in fall? or can you start in spring??

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

fannie in Torrance, California

56 months ago

hello everyone,
I got accepted to smc for RT this fall and i would like to buy your books/notes if you already finished with the class. I'm nervous about the core classes and i want to start my study early. anything would help. thank you. mystix_angel at hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DarkMoon in Los Angeles, California

56 months ago

I graduated from ELAC 4 years ago and it's easy. Don't know if Mr. Carr still teaching. The main core of the class will be RT4,5,6,11 and RT7,30. Those classes were teach by Mr. Carr, Mr. Thompson and Mr. Welsch. If you still have one of those instructors, I'll give you some advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Darkmoon,

only Welch, Carr, and Avila but no Thompson on the schedule. How are Welch and Carr?

David in Torrance, California

56 months ago

Tim in Torrance, California said: I'm currently in a RT program at SMC. The theoretical program is offered at SMC and 2nd year hands on training/ Clinical is offered at ELAC in partnership with UCLA medical center.

how is the program so far? any advice?

56 months ago

Welch is very easy if he's teaching RT30 and the other class that I forgot. All you have to do is taking recording all his lecture and taking notes because the test will be exactly the same what he said in the class. For Mr. Carr is little different because his lecture has nothing relate to his test. You have to read the book (Egan book) and I recommend you to start buying Respiratory Care Review Exam book by Persing in the book store and read it now. Because at the end of the program, you need to pass CRT and RRT exam, of course not the official one but close to it, to pass the class. For Avila, I don't know who is that, maybe he/she replace Mr. Thompson, who retired from the program also secretary of national board, to teach RT 6 and 7?

56 months ago

Darkmoon,

Thank you for advice. Did you have any problem getting a full time job after the program? and if you don't mind, what was the pay rate that they offered you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

how much does it cost for the whole program? tuition, books, insurance?

56 months ago

Well, the thing was 4 years ago so the job is kinda easy to find. Usually at the end of the years he will host a job fair and alot of hospital will try to get you. So make sure you have your cover letter & resume at the end of the year.
My pay rate now is $33/hr, and $550/shift for registry work
Tuition fee is cheap, I think it's about $2000-$4000 but I have fee-waiver back then so I don't have to pay anything.

56 months ago

Darkmoon,

is your job duties are what you expected from school/clinical training? I read from other forum that the RN bosses RT around. is that true? what time are your shift usually like? is it a busy type of work, constantly moving around? do you have to write the report about each patient you worked on?

do you think i can buy your old books if the school is still using them? I will not get financial aid nor fee waiver and i don't have a stable job :( also, i have to commute from torrance to SMC and to ELAC almost everyday. any type of saving will help.

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your time in replying to my post. thanks

56 months ago

Yeah, everything you learned from your clinical, you will use it. RN can't boss you around unless they don't see your confidence in your work then they will try to pick on you. The RNs I work with are very respectful to my work also the doctor trust you more than to the RN with respiratory care.
Busy or not is depend on your hospital workload. In UCLA or USC, you need to do alot of work but in a place like Kaiser or sub-acute hospital, you have ton of free time.
The books that I used were 4 yrs ago and they changed the edition already. The most expensive book is Egan's book. I usually hold review section at the end of year for people before they take their CRT and RRT. If you need any more help, I'm gladly to help out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

DarkMoon in Los Angeles, California said: Yeah, everything you learned from your clinical, you will use it. RN can't boss you around unless they don't see your confidence in your work then they will try to pick on you. The RNs I work with are very respectful to my work also the doctor trust you more than to the RN with respiratory care.
Busy or not is depend on your hospital workload. In UCLA or USC, you need to do alot of work but in a place like Kaiser or sub-acute hospital, you have ton of free time.
The books that I used were 4 yrs ago and they changed the edition already. The most expensive book is Egan's book. I usually hold review section at the end of year for people before they take their CRT and RRT. If you need any more help, I'm gladly to help out.

cool. thank you so much. i'm looking forward for your review :D

doe921 in Los Angeles, California

56 months ago

i will be starting in fall 2010.. i would like to purchase the books early..do u know what books are needed? is egan's book the ninth edition the current one? thanks!

Abe in Loma Linda, California

56 months ago

doe921 in Los Angeles, California said: i will be starting in fall 2010.. i would like to purchase the books early..do u know what books are needed? is egan's book the ninth edition the current one? thanks!

Wow. Do i have to keep warning everyone on here??
Please, flee from respiratory. Dude, I live in the valley. I've looked from here to LA for work. Your not going to be happy after you graduate. Your WAY better off doing clinical lab science. They are in HIGH demand!

I graduated last year. I haven't been able to find work since then at all.(AND i have a BS. No experience, no hire)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

are they just hiring people with prior experience? how did other people fair in your class getting jobs after graduation? did u go to elac? they were telling me most people from last year's class found jobs within 6 mos...

DarkMoon in Anaheim, California

56 months ago

Mostly, you go back to your clinical rotation to apply for job. in ELAC, after you graduate, they will have a job fair and you get you your job. You must attend the job fair, if not it's difficult to find a job outside.

Abe in Yucaipa, California

56 months ago

DarkMoon in Anaheim, California said: Mostly, you go back to your clinical rotation to apply for job. in ELAC, after you graduate, they will have a job fair and you get you your job. You must attend the job fair, if not it's difficult to find a job outside.

wow....i wish it was as easy as it sounds

DarkMoon in Anaheim, California

56 months ago

Abe in Yucaipa, California said: wow....i wish it was as easy as it sounds

Of course it isn't easy like it sounds but most of the our classmates who attend to the job fair got their jobs. The one that didn't go will have a hard time to look around. Took them from 6 months to a year to find theirs. That's why I always tell people who are attending ELAC, please go to the job fair at the end of the year, don't be lazy and stay home on that day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CRT-RRT in Los Angeles, California

56 months ago

DarkMoon in Anaheim, California said: Of course it isn't easy like it sounds but most of the our classmates who attend to the job fair got their jobs. The one that didn't go will have a hard time to look around. Took them from 6 months to a year to find theirs. That's why I always tell people who are attending ELAC, please go to the job fair at the end of the year, don't be lazy and stay home on that day.

Not really! The most of my classmates who attend to the job fair did NOT get their jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

CRT-RRT in Los Angeles, California

56 months ago

rtintraining in Chino Hills, California said: How is the Respiratory Therapy Program at East LA Community College? I heard UCLA hires most of the graduates from ELAC since they work so close together during clinicals??

The program is good. However, it became very difficult to get hired since two years ago. If you had network in hospital, you can consider the major.

cindy in Lomita, California

54 months ago

I went to the RT orientation at elac and i was told by one of the professor that RT is in high demand still. almost 90% of last class found a job within 6 months and a few got a job offer before they finish the program. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alumni 1 in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

cindy in Lomita, California said: I went to the RT orientation at elac and i was told by one of the professor that RT is in high demand still. almost 90% of last class found a job within 6 months and a few got a job offer before they finish the program. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Not really.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Alumni 1 in Los Angeles, California said: Not really.

when did u graduate? so its not really true? just went to orientation and was told the same thing..how is the job hunt going for ya?

ElacRT

54 months ago

doe921 in Los Angeles, California said: when did u graduate? so its not really true? just went to orientation and was told the same thing..how is the job hunt going for ya?

I graduated From ELAC in 09. I have two jobs.

cindy in Lomita, California

54 months ago

ElacRT said: I graduated From ELAC in 09. I have two jobs.

if you don't mind, how much do you get pay and are your jobs full time or part time? any benefits?

GG in Santa Clarita, California

54 months ago

hi ElacRT,

i also graduated from RT school in 09 and still have not been able to get a job out here in california. i am getting very frustrated and discouraged. you posted that you have 2 jobs. i was wondering if you could help me out with a job?? i'm desperate. please get back to me when you have a chance. my email is ginago@hawaii.usa.com. you can also call me at eight zero eight two three three eight eight two three.

AJ in Milpitas, California

54 months ago

Hi,

I'm entering my first semester of RT school @ Santa Monica College and would like to know if any alumni would like to share their experiences at either SMC or ELAC.

Did you enjoy your classes? What kept you motivated throughout the program?
Did you like Mr. Welch as an instructor? Has anybody gotten into respiratory equipment (or pharmaceutical) sales?

Your responses are much appreciated!!! Thank you in advance!

Rudi in Baldwin Park, California

53 months ago

Hi I'm going to ELAC for their respiratory program. I'm in RT-15 and Mr. Carr is teaching this class. I would like to know what is the best way to study for Mr.Carr? Any suggestions will help. Thank you.

Vicky in London, Ontario

51 months ago

1st year in Rt program can anyone help me with these questions, so confused. Can you answer step by step plz

1)Assuming PB of 760mmHg and a seawater depth of 66feet, determine
a)Po2 and o2 equivalenr?

2) Determine the seawater depth when o2 equivalent is 0.318 and Pb is 760mmHg?

i am soo confused any help would be amazingg
thanks so much

Sarah in Lomita, California

50 months ago

Hi! Does anyone know how to pass RT 2 class at Elac?

Brad in Altadena, California

44 months ago

Hello everyone, I'm just browsing and hoping someone can give me some information about the RT profession. First off, are all the RT training programs in LA County on the waiting list system? Also, I worked as an EMT for 4 years for a private ambulance company and worked alongside many RT's and got to respond to 911 calls so would that experience help me get accepted into a program or get a job in the long run?

henry in La Habra, California

44 months ago

Brad in Altadena, California said: Hello everyone, I'm just browsing and hoping someone can give me some information about the RT profession. First off, are all the RT training programs in LA County on the waiting list system? Also, I worked as an EMT for 4 years for a private ambulance company and worked alongside many RT's and got to respond to 911 calls so would that experience help me get accepted into a program or get a job in the long run?

most likely they all have a waiting list. if you apply at least a year before, you'll probably get in the program. since you have an EMT experience, you should be able to understand the materials, but as for getting in im not sure if it will help, but getting a job will definitely help.

Ale in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

Hi everyone!

I just have some general questions regarding the SMC/ELAC program. To former students: Were the professors encouraging during the program, or were they there to weed out the weak during class? i.e telling their students to drop after the first test, if received a low scores?. Out of 40 students that are accepted into SMC, how many stuck around?

Were they good tutoring options available? How did you survive the program? i.e best study tips? What did you most enjoy/hate most about the program? How about the clinical sites? What were the most challenging issues faced during that time?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I just applied to the program and am a bit excited! I hope I make it in next fall.

Pinky in Placentia, California

42 months ago

Ale in Los Angeles, California said: Hi everyone!

I just have some general questions regarding the SMC/ELAC program. To former students: Were the professors encouraging during the program, or were they there to weed out the weak during class? i.e telling their students to drop after the first test, if received a low scores?. Out of 40 students that are accepted into SMC, how many stuck around?

Were they good tutoring options available? How did you survive the program? i.e best study tips? What did you most enjoy/hate most about the program? How about the clinical sites? What were the most challenging issues faced during that time?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I just applied to the program and am a bit excited! I hope I make it in next fall.

I just finished my 1st year, but I have a prerequisite that I didn't finish on time to take RT 15, so I'm basically taking a year off. In all seriousness, the program is not hard. If you study decently and pay attention, you will do fine. Never went to a tutoring session. Got all A's in my classes, 'cept for RT 2 (got a "C") but the teacher is a moron. By the start of 2nd semester about 1/3 of the class is gone. Or have to repeat a class that will delay finishing their degree on time.

Don't sweat it. It is easier than you think. Don't let your classmates freak you out...you don't have to study every day to pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jxj in Compton, California

41 months ago

Hi Pinky, I just got in the RT program at ELAC this fall. Can you please email me the books used for the 1st year? my email is jxj1326 at yahoo.com

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.