What should i charge for PFT's

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (45)

ED MIDDLEBROOK in Old Hickory, Tennessee

89 months ago

I live in a very small town in western AZ.
There is a local doctor wanting someone to do PFT's in his office-twice a week or so..

I do PFT's but don't have a lot of experience; however, I'm really busy with other things so this would have to pay well for me to even bother. What would be a reasonable, or even not so reasonable charge for this?

I already know there aren't more than 2or3 other RT's in this area who do PFT's. The Doc may have a hard time finding someone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brenda in Glen Burnie, Maryland

83 months ago

PFTs are an excellent way to earn a lot of money quickly. I operated an in house PFT lab for a Pulmonary group and earned over $15,000 per month. Granted, I owned the equipment, provided staffing and supplies and ran the Lab full time, but the net income was excellent. The key to making the big money is to own the PFT lab and employ the Physician.

If you want to do this for this physician I would suggest that you charge per procedure instead of an hourly rate. Chances are they are going to schedule a ton of patients, back to back, for you on the days you work, so you might as well share in the profits. The minimum that I would charge for a complete set of PFTs would be $40.00.

If you are interested in starting your own lab or starting another Respiratory Care Business then check out this site www.respiratoryentrepreneur.com

Good Luck,
Brenda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lloyd W Yoder in Tampa, Florida

81 months ago

ED MIDDLEBROOK in Old Hickory, Tennessee said: I live in a very small town in western AZ.
There is a local doctor wanting someone to do PFT's in his office-twice a week or so..

I do PFT's but don't have a lot of experience; however, I'm really busy with other things so this would have to pay well for me to even bother. What would be a reasonable, or even not so reasonable charge for this?

I already know there aren't more than 2or3 other RT's in this area who do PFT's. The Doc may have a hard time finding someone else.

I am also a Resp Therapist. After many years in a hospital enviroment, we started a PFT program in Physician offices. We presently go to 7 different Physician offices. Wondering how and if you got this program going. Lloyd

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Apple Valley, California

81 months ago

Ok. What is "PFT"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lloyd W Yoder in Tampa, Florida

81 months ago

Pulmonary Function Tests

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Apple Valley, California

81 months ago

Thanks.

Ed Middlebrook in Dolan Springs, Arizona

80 months ago

Thanks for your help. The "own your own equipment" sounds intriqing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

uli2000 in Ely, Nevada

80 months ago

Unless he furnishes the equipment or you can line up other docs to do them for, I say dont even worry about it. Kingman has a pretty good RT department from what I remember, and Vegas isnt all that far away, so unless you are seeing 10-15 patients a week at $100 or so each, I say dont do it. My small hospital charges about $80 per test for a simple spirometry and about $170 for a pre/post spirometry. You could get the equipment to do it for around $2500-5000, but unless you can line up lots of buisness, I wouldnt go buying all my own equipment.

80 months ago

The equipment will pay for itself over time. If money is an issue purchase refurbished equipment. Without your own equipment you can and will be replaced for a cheaper contractor once the physician realizes the profit that can be made.

Check with your State Disability SSI program. They are usually in search for non hospital based pulmonary testing vendors and they pay fairly well for simple pre and post spiro, excercise studies, lung diffusion and abgs.

For more tips on getting started visit www.respiratoryentrepreneur.com

Ed Middlebrook in Dolan Springs, Arizona

80 months ago

Thanks for the input everyone.

I actually decided NOT to work for this particular Doc-he wanted to pay by the hour and I wasn't too impressed with the money offered, but there are some good ideas here

Thanx

Tarheel RRT in Durham, North Carolina

80 months ago

Ed Middlebrook in Dolan Springs, Arizona said: Thanks for the input everyone.

I actually decided NOT to work for this particular Doc-he wanted to pay by the hour and I wasn't too impressed with the money offered, but there are some good ideas here

Thanx

When I did some part time work in a MD's office, I asked for $20/hour. That was 4 years ago, so it would be $22 now. PFT's are money makers for MD offices. This is of course using an already set-up lab.

sarah mayfield in Spruce Pine, North Carolina

76 months ago

i seen 40 dollars for a complete set of pft's. would this be mainly what you would do a complete set. what if you just did 1 test? how do you charge for 1 test.

sarah mayfield in Vale, North Carolina

76 months ago

I AM NOT ALL THAT FAMILIAR WITH DOING PFT'S I HAVE BEEN IN THE SLEEP LAB AND WORKING FOR A DURABLE MEDICAL EQUIPMENT CO. IS IT PRETTY EASY TO LEARN. A LOCAL PULMONARY DOC HAS THE EQUIPMENT AND HE WANTS TO CONTRACT ME OUT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sarah mayfield in Vale, North Carolina

76 months ago

I AM SUPPOSE TO EMAIL THIS DOC TODAY. SO YOU THINK 40 FOR A COMPLETE SET AND 20 FOR SIMPLE SPIROMETERY

Brenda in Annapolis, Maryland

76 months ago

I'm not sure what your regular hourly rate is as an RT, but if you are comfortable with this rate then go ahead. Keep in mind it will take about 3o minutes for spiro and an hour for a complete once you factor in all of the variables such as set up, patient prep, report/chart prep etc.

I don't think the physician will have a problem with the rate as they get a lot more than what you'll requesting. The key is volume, so get them to schedule as many patients as they can on the days you are scheduled to test. This will make it worth your while, verses doing 1-2 patients a day.

Good luck
Brenda
www.respiratoryinc.com

76 months ago

Hi,

No it's not hard at all especially since you are familar with lung physciology. I'm sure they'll give an inservice on the equipment and their procedures. You can also contact an area hospital's PFT lab for some insight, inservice and help if needed.

Brenda
www.respiratoryinc.com

Ted in Cape Coral, Florida

76 months ago

Brenda, what is the starting rate for jobs up in Maryland? How's the job market up there?
Thanks

sarah mayfield in Fallston, North Carolina

76 months ago

Brenda in Annapolis, Maryland said: Hi,

No it's not hard at all especially since you are familar with lung physciology. I'm sure they'll give an inservice on the equipment and their procedures. You can also contact an area hospital's PFT lab for some insight, inservice and help if needed.

Brenda
www.respiratoryinc.com

thanks so much for your info. i do appreciate it. i will let you know what happens.

76 months ago

Hi,

Job market is very good in Maryland. We have lots of agency work which is a good indication that there is a lot of full time slots available. I think the average starting salary for staff RT is 50K - 65K, with some agency RT's making close to 90K.

76 months ago

Thanks for the info Brenda. Any idea as to how many students/year graduate from the programs in the area? I'm currently a soon to be second year student and intend on moving up to the area after I get my RRt in Florida. One of my main concerns is that since I won't be a gradute of a local program, it will be more difficult for me to obtain employment when competing against local grads. Thanks :o)

76 months ago

Hey troll, what exactly are you talking about? If you're implying that I'm a felon because I want to relocate, you musthave been dropped on your head as a child.

76 months ago

Hi Ted,

I don't think you will have a problem relocating here. There is currently a need for new RTS in Maryland. Once you obtain a Maryland license you'll have no problem finding work.

Good luck and great success,
Brenda

76 months ago

Thanks Brenda

r sidell in Richmond, Virginia

68 months ago

I work at a large pulmonary physicians office. I do PFTs 8hrs/5days a week. How do you schedule your appointments? How much time do you put on a complete PFT, 1 hr, 30 min or what???

Rolinda in San Diego, California

68 months ago

r sidell in Richmond, Virginia said: I work at a large pulmonary physicians office. I do PFTs 8hrs/5days a week. How do you schedule your appointments? How much time do you put on a complete PFT, 1 hr, 30 min or what???

Hi sidell, I work in a Pulmonary Clinic within a Hospital where I perform full PFTs and VO2 Max Pulmonary Stress Test EKG/Treadmill Exercises, Oximetry EKG/Treadmill Exercises, which records SaO2s for Oxygen prescriptions, Cold Air Challenge, which checks for Exercise Induced Asthma and Altitude Studies, which simulates lower FIO2s at given altitudes(6,000 feet, 9,000 feet, etc.)while recording our lung compromised patients' lower SaO2s. If by complete PFT, you are referring to a Spirometry before and after bronchodilator treatment, you want to allow yourself at least 60 minutes(1 hour). If you mean a full Lung Function Profile which in our Pulmonary Function Lab includes Spirometry before and after bronchodilator treatment, a (DLCO)Diffusion Capacity, MIP and MEP, (N2 Washout)Nitrogen Washout and (BOX)Plethysmography with (Raw)Airway Resistance, you want to allow yourself at least 90 minutes(1 hour and 30 minutes). If it's simple Spirometry without bronchodilator, you want to allow yourself at least 30 minutes, as some patient testing can be very challenging. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Good journey.

r sidell in Richmond, Virginia

68 months ago

Thanks Rolinda in San Diego. I have placed 1 hr and 15 mins. for CPFT (pre/post, LV and DLco) Just want to see what other lab did. Thanks again.

Gary Fields in Anniston, Alabama

64 months ago

What are physicians getting reimbursed for reading PFT's by Medicare?

T. W. T

56 months ago

Gary Fields in Anniston, Alabama said: What are physicians getting reimbursed for reading PFT's by Medicare?

I would like to know the answer to the reimbursement for doc's on the interp on PFT's also. If anyone knows, please respond..thanks

56 months ago

Hi,

Go to the Medicare website and look up the Medicare fee schedule. You can find the reasonable and customary fees there. The interpretation and technical component are separate so you will be able to tell immediately. Generally the professional (Interpretation) component is about 40% of the total fee. Hope this helps.

Brenda

waifungilism in Lake Worth, Florida

56 months ago

Hi Brenda, I am being mobilized with the Army to Walter Reed Army Hospital and was hoping to get in touch with you about starting my own PST lab. Let me know if you would be open to give me some pointers. Thank you in advance. waifungilism@gmail.com

Brenda in Glen Burnie, Maryland said: Hi,

Go to the Medicare website and look up the Medicare fee schedule. You can find the reasonable and customary fees there. The interpretation and technical component are separate so you will be able to tell immediately. Generally the professional (Interpretation) component is about 40% of the total fee. Hope this helps.

Brenda

w8n2excel in Glen Burnie, Maryland

56 months ago

Sure, just email me with your contact info. I'd be happy to help.

Brenda

PirateVoice in Hopkinsville, Kentucky

55 months ago

Who can interpret PFT's and Meth Challenges?

w8n2excel in Glen Burnie, Maryland

55 months ago

Insurance carriers pay for Physicians only to interpret PFTS, although they do not have to be Pulmonologist. Now you can make the interpretation yourself, some PFT software even interprets, but a physician must sign the interpretation. This is the only way to get paid for the professional component of the test.

Yami

54 months ago

w8n2excel in Glen Burnie, Maryland said: Sure, just email me with your contact info. I'd be happy to help.

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

what licencure is requered to open a private Lab, if any.

Yami

54 months ago

Thanks Brenda, This definitly help. I appriciate it. I will definitly join the group.

Charles in Washington, District of Columbia

51 months ago

Hello Brenda, I will like to me up with you to see if i could start A PFT lab here in Washington DC. I work for a major hospital here and know many Dr. am glad i found that you are very supporting here.
Charles

confused in Baltimore, Maryland

40 months ago

Do you know if you need to be licensed / registered Respiratory Therapist in the State of Maryland to PERFORM PFT's in a pulmonary practice? Or can anyone PERFORM the test, as long as it is reviewed / interpreted by the physician?

rad in Saint Louis, Missouri

40 months ago

I am a respiratory therapist my self, I have 18 years experience, I want to invest and open a PFT lab associated with a pulmonologist, can any one suggest me how to start, what to do, please help.

rad in Saint Louis, Missouri

40 months ago

how to start my own PFT lab, please help.

Johnson in Washington, District of Columbia

26 months ago

Brenda in Glen Burnie, Maryland said: PFTs are an excellent way to earn a lot of money quickly. I operated an in house PFT lab for a Pulmonary group and earned over $15,000 per month. Granted, I owned the equipment, provided staffing and supplies and ran the Lab full time , but the net income was excellent. The key to making the big money is to own the PFT lab and employ the Physician.

If you want to do this for this physician I would suggest that you charge per procedure instead of an hourly rate. Chances are they are going to schedule a ton of patients, back to back, for you on the days you work, so you might as well share in the profits. The minimum that I would charge for a complete set of PFTs would be $40.00.

If you are interested in starting your own lab or starting another Respiratory Care Business then check out this site www.respiratoryentrepreneur.com

Good Luck,
Brenda

SMALL, BRENDA L I have been trying to get more information from you about starting a PFT Lab, am also in Maryland but you could not reply to my request. Hope this is for real

Johnson in Washington, District of Columbia

26 months ago

What happen to Plumonary Innovation Inc in maryland Brenda?
What about Breath 2 Easy?

Brenda in Charlotte, North Carolina

26 months ago

Closed Pulmonary Innovations in 2007. Retired too stressful.

Lara in Brooklyn, New York

21 months ago

How much does a PFt lab make per patient roughly? Can an RT own his/her own PFT lab that not through a hospital?

johnrt in Brockton, Massachusetts

19 months ago

Hey Brenda,

I'm finishing school this May and am going to get my RRT. I am very interested in the business aspect of respiratory and am interested in some more information. I would like to know about owning and operating your own pft lab.

Could we somehow get into contact about this? Thanks.

John R

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there

19 months ago

johnrt in Brockton, Massachusetts said: Hey Brenda,

I'm finishing school this May and am going to get my RRT. I am very interested in the business aspect of respiratory and am interested in some more information. I would like to know about owning and operating your own pft lab.

Could we somehow get into contact about this? Thanks.

John R

Finishing school in May,but no PFT experience..Hmmm? PFTs are harder than you think, it takes years of experience to learn them and then who is going to interpret them. You cannot just up and open a PFT lab without a Physician to back you, Medicare and private insurance will not even pay for that and who would just roll in and say I want a PFT. These are ordered tests that have to be approved from Insurance have a Doctors order and then comes Medicare and private insurance, Dept of Health then no one will just supply you with C02 and and 02 and most want Methyline Choline challenges and DLCO's.Then you also need Albuterol for you before and after PFTs.
Then if you do the challenge is to compete with all the other cerified and trained PFT's techs and Pulmonary labs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.