starting a home health care business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

ramji in Lawrenceville, Georgia

39 months ago

k so i have been working as a respiratory therapist for several years.....and i am getting tired of working under some one but still want to stay in the field....

i was wondering if i could start a home health care businesss...this would be as simple as going to some ones home to look after a tracheostomy patient....hopefully i would want to expand my client base and have 100-200 patient...and have to hire my own employees...but was wondering would it be legal to do it/.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Somewhere out there

39 months ago

ramji in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: k so i have been working as a respiratory therapist for several years.....and i am getting tired of working under some one but still want to stay in the field....

i was wondering if i could start a home health care businesss...this would be as simple as going to some ones home to look after a tracheostomy patient....hopefully i would want to expand my client base and have 100-200 patient...and have to hire my own employees...but was wondering would it be legal to do it/.

This would and is not as easy as you think. 1- You have to have Medicare and State health dept accredidations 2- Liablity Insurance. And then I really do not think you going to be paid in cash as then you come onto the IRS radar, so insurance and knowing how to bill,ICD codes etc. Then suppliers for you trach care items. As far as I know and have done home care on the past, Medicare and others do not pay for a RT to do trach care. The only way we would be re-embursed is by the supplies and oxygen we supplied to the PT. Truth be that most trach care is done by an RN or in some states a PT. It is how the insurance codes are set as they do not see a RT to be needed to do what a RN can do under their license. I have known a few RTs that have had homecare business's and its not worth the headache and you really wont see much money from it only doing trach care and then on top of that paying employees in time. It the liablity that will catch up to you and insurance/medicare red tape.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.