What are the best restaurant general manager qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a restaurant general manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective restaurant general manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Will in Carmel, Indiana

83 months ago

The best training to become a general manager is to master every position in the restaurant. I would suggest culinary school as well as a college degree in restaurant management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Phillip Boeglin in Midlothian, Virginia

82 months ago

Will in Carmel, Indiana said: The best training to become a general manager is to master every position in the restaurant. I would suggest culinary school as well as a college degree in restaurant management.

I disagree....a passion for delivering a great guest experience and a genuine love for the hospitality business can catipult any young manager to the top of a respectable restaurant company. Being a natural leader will help as well. Culinary skills, P%L knowledge and the details on how to run a business can all be taught along the way. Don't waste your money on a degree in restaurant management, learning in the trenches will yield the most effective restaurant managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Laguna Hills, California

77 months ago

I agree. I've been in the business for over 23 years and I have done every position in the restaurant and learned P&L along the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lee jo in Jacksonville, Florida

26 months ago

I agree, I started at burger king as a fry cook, was promoted
to district manager 7 years later, I knew that restaurant like the back of my hand.....No College degree could have prepared
me for that.....work every station for years, that's the best teacher....how can you train some one, and you just have a degree... DO TYHE JOB, TEACH THE JOB..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lee jo in Jacksonville, Florida

26 months ago

I agree, I started at burger king as a fry cook, was promoted
to district manager 7 years later, I knew that restaurant like the back of my hand.....No College degree could have prepared
me for that.....work every station for years, that's the best teacher....how can you train some one, and you just have a degree... DO THE JOB, TEACH THE JOB..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Star Career Academy in Melville, New York

20 months ago

To properly train in Restaurant Management is best to take courses at a respected career school. At Star Career Academy, we offer a series of Restaurant Management Courses. Students learn management operations in real life work environment. For more info visit www.starcareeracademy.com/hotel-and-restaurant-management.php.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.