Rachael Ray's $40 A Day

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 121)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

andrea in Kingsport, Tennessee

60 months ago

YOUR customer care skills serving... in Frisco, Texas said: NEVER complain about the AVG. pay that you knew about before you took the job.

As in any profession, if you don't like the pay don't take the job. Duhhhhh!

UGH NOW DAYS THERE IS NO JOBS AVAILABLE! IM A FULL TIME STUDENT, HAVE A 5 MONTH OLD BABY AN SERVE! U OBVIOUSLY DONTK NOW WHAT COMES ALONG WITH SERVING RUDE PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

andrea in Kingsport, Tennessee

60 months ago

Jess in Santa Fe, New Mexico said: I used to have a "real job" consulting in NYC and made the choice to go into the service industry because I wanted my life to be less stressful. I soon learned that my perception of what it takes to be a waiter was pretty far off. The stressors are definitely different but they're no less real!

One of the biggest realizations I had was that those people with "real jobs" out there aren't held to the same high standards every second of their time at work that servers are. Think about it...if you screw up at work you get some feedback from your boss and then you're given time to improve before there are any repercussions. If you don't improve in the allotted time (usually weeks or even months), you may miss out on a performance award or some other financial incentive and if enough time goes by and you still can't pull it together you may actually lose your job.

In the service industry things are a little different. Your pay (i.e. tips) may be docked instantly for even the smallest of mistakes. In fact, even if you make immediate changes and rectify the problem people may still leave you a bad tip. In some ways this is refreshing because you always know where you stand and have some degree of control over what you make day to day. Unfortunately, when you aren't in control of everything that happens (e.g. the kitchen is really busy and misread a modification on the order you put in), you may be penalized even though you peformed exceptionally and did everything in your power to provide great service. And people's lack of understanding of this may mean the difference between being able to pay your rent or not.

So pass along the message to Rachael Ray, Berlin 5 and others that their pathetic tips are not incentive pay for good performance like you might get in a "real job." It's actually our livelihood and I don't know what is more "real" than that.

I WILL BE SURE TO SPIT IN EVERYONES FOOD WHO IS RUDE LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jade Capone in Brush, Colorado

59 months ago

I Have been a server for almost 20 years, and I have seen alot on this subject. Many people don't understand that a server has some control over your dining experience, but not all of it. I can't control the broken refridgerator or toilet, the rude hostess or valet, the shortage of smallwares, or the chef that does not know how to order/prep for a 300 cover night vs. a 50 cover night. Give your server a break! You have one of him/her, and she could have 40 or more of you. And, by the way, I have waited on Rachel Ray. She deducted the wine ($140) and the tax and then tipped, it was around 8% on a 200$ bill. It's bad enough that she is annoying and her cooking is totally uninspired and creative, her cheapness should be a source of shame for her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kelljoann in Saint Paul, Minnesota

59 months ago

Thank you! I see so many comments on here from people who don't know what they are talking about...it is nice to see someone who does!

chris in Warren, Ohio

58 months ago

What many people may not understand is that the tipping process actually saves the customer money. I used to manage a restaurant after college, and am serving now while I attend graduate school. Most restaurants try to run a food cost of 40%, and a labor cost of 30%, this does not include overhead (rent, salaries, benefits, utilities). After all expenses are paid, most restaurants only make about $.25 on every $5 spent. The 30% labor cost is only attainable because servers make half of minimum wage. 2/3 of a restaurants employees are servers, so if you were to pay them hourly, the labor cost would jump to 50%. However, at this wage, the restaurant would lost money so would be forced to raise the prices. Also consider what person works for minimum wage. Would you want the register worker at McDonalds to wait on you, surely not. Why would they care if your drink was full, or your food took to long. So at minimum wage prices would increase and service would decrease. A good server can make between 15 and 20 dollars an hour. To pay a server at that rate the food prices would increase by well more than 15%. Look at it from a business perspective, and realize that by tipping servers you are saving yourself more money in the long term. Although I doubt those who typically leave 7% give a damn about anyone other than themselves, which is why they would never last as a restaurant server.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Baltimore, Maryland

58 months ago

Thankfully chris above beat me to the punch, but I will reiterate. We are a tipping culture. Thats why we have decent restaurants and can enjoy a nice night out with someone respectful waiting on us. If all restaurant workers were paid hourly wages and tips were not the norm, every single restaurant in america would be less than mcdonald's quality. You would have all minimum wage workers waiting on you at all times, with absolutely no incentive to do a good job. Every single restaurant would have a soda fountain for you to walk and get your own, and just a few busboys to clean up after you. Also, if any business sees a dramatic rise in its labor cost, those costs are passed on to the customer in lieu of higher prices on the menu. NOT ALL RESTAURANT OWNERS ARE RICH AND GREEDY! Most are middle class people that bust their behinds 80 hours a week to get by, and keep their prices as low as they possibly can to keep customers happy and coming back with the doors open.

A bad trend I'm seeing nowadays, people are going to places like Panera Bread where counter service is the norm and tipping not required just to save money. However, many good restaurants out there are doing amazing lunch specials for five or six dollars. So people are avoiding tipping a few dollars to save money, but they will go to Panera and get a sandwich, cup of soup and a soda and spend $13.

Also, the IRS and federal government consider tipping an "expected custom" in America, thus tips have to be declared and are taxed income.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tenndiva in Olmsted, Illinois

55 months ago

Melissa in Big Rapids, Michigan said: 1.40 divided by 9.90 is a 14.14% tip. Where did you learn math? And do a little fact research before you spout off please. Rachel Ray is a rags to riches story and she has worked her tail off to get where she is at! Jealous much? P.S. I am a professional server also ... and you don't see me whining about other people's success.[/QUOTE

$1.40 was taxes and tip!!!! not just tip. Get your facts straight

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Greensboro, North Carolina

55 months ago

berlin 5 in Jamaica said: The problem with tipping is that servers tend toward a sense of entitlement when it comes to other people's money. While paying customers actually ARE entitled to good service, the servers quickly lose sight of their role in the eating experience.

If you look at any commonly accepted book on etiquette, 7% is the standard on tips.

Greedy piglets.

Good Service is expected, not entitled. Tips are also expected not entitled. As I server for over 10 years, I can tell you that I would never complain about getting a poor tip, if my service was sub-standard. However, I have every right to complain when I provide stellar service, and receive a poor tip. Often customers don't understand what's going on behind the scenes of their dining experience. Perhaps the waitstaff is understaffed that day. If you're not getting the best service, but you see your server running around like crazy, it's because his or her service is being stretched among many tables. Often one particularly needy table can "steal", or horde service time from your table. I can't speak for every server. But in my experience I've found that when people leave a 10% tip or less, it's because they're cheap, not because of poor service.

20% is the standard in which most people should tip for great service. 15% for average service. Customer's discretion for poor service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Customer Service Champion Guru in Alberta

54 months ago

The problem isn't with tipping, the problem is with non-tippers that behave badly. The good tippers make up for the bad tippers and a server that continually makes bad tips should evaluate the attitude or consider another trade.

I too am disappointed with the news of Rachel Ray's tipping practices. I have not seen a single episode of her show so I cannot comment as to whether she tips appropriately or not. I can say, that as a role model, the public looks to Ray as an expert and if she is skimping on the tip she is setting a poor example. If my understanding of the show's concept is correct; Ray has a responsibility to conduct herself with the proper social etiquette.

Many famous people drop the ball on personal conduct, and that is why it is up to the public to choose role models wisely.

Note:
TIP- Does not stand for To Insure Prompt Service
The Customer Is Always Right- was an advertising slogan for Field's in the 1800's. The customer isn't always right, but should always be made to think/feel he/she is right.

I commend the poster of this thread for taking notice of Ray's snafu if the facts are indeed correct.

CSCG- "An employee is only as good as the employer allows him/her to be"
customerservicechampion.blogspot.com

KillerQueen in Seattle, Washington

50 months ago

LISA in Dayton, Ohio said: Get over it, you "SERVERS at least you have a job. So if you want to make the big bucks get a real job.. I would rather eat at home anyways.

With an asshat attitude like that you SHOULD stay home permanently and leave people in peace.

If I was a Waitress I'd deliver your food where it belongs. In your lap.

Because since your head is up your ass most of the time, that would be the most likely way for you to reach your food.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

becky13 in Freeport, Maine

50 months ago

alice in Alameda, California said: Oops, I guess I assumed a higher level of intelligence for people reading my response. IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH TIPPING POORLY rather the abusive language used regarding poor tippers. Your response makes me feel sad, I hope others have a better understanding of the issue.

I agree there is no need for the extreme level of rudeness on both sides of the issue in this forum. Just because it's electronic communication instead of face to face doesn't mean we get to be hateful and nasty to each other.

Customer Service Champion Guru in Edmonton, Alberta

50 months ago

It is up to each individual to take responsibility for their role in the service exchange. No waiter/waitress should become bitter over poor tipping and no consumer should feel entitled to obtain services where tipping is customary if they do not believe in tipping. You get what you pay for as a consumer and you get what you put out as a service provider.

It is not productive to cast abusive language or remarks towards those we disagree with. Many will disagree with, and that is fine. I will not sympathize when those very individuals gripe about poor service. You can feel that tipping and being respectful is "unfair", but fair is for toddlers that get caught cheating at freeze tag.

"10) Owners and managers talk. Get a bad reputation for being a bad customer and expect to get blacklisted at other establishments. Don't always assume the competition will want your business either."

"9) Work like you don't need the money no matter how desperate you are: This is a tried and true philosophy practiced by all successful people. If you don't like what you're doing now that is okay; Make sure you recognize and optimize the opportunities that will help prepare you for the future.

There is a long raging battle between those that do not tip and service industry veterans. Servers should work like they don't care if they make a dime and always remember the great tippers make up for the bad ones. If a server consistently pulls donut tips (doesn't make a dime or very little) it is time to check the attitude and look for another career."

customerservicechampion.blogspot.com/2010/01/customer-service-and-tipping.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Tehachapi, California

50 months ago

I work in a "people service industry". When I go out to eat, I do tip because "I'm expected to" however, As a Registered nurse who wipes your butt, empties your bedside commode, dodges vomit...We don't get tips, our hospital pays our checks just as your rest. owners pay your. No one made you take your job just as no one made me take mine. I don't feel like I should have to tip but I do cause i'm being courteous. Next time you are around a nurse, at least thank him/her. And when your waiting tables don't be so self rightous that they "owe it to you". Its a gift not a right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Customer Service Champion Guru in Edmonton, Alberta

50 months ago

I always thank my nurses. Especially when they give me a needle or put in an IV and its painless...total awesomeness. Even if it does hurt I thank them...I know its strange thanking a nurse for poking you, but I do. I could never do that job so I always appreciate what they do for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A Good Server in Albuquerque, New Mexico

48 months ago

berlin 5 in Jamaica said: The problem with tipping is that servers tend toward a sense of entitlement when it comes to other people's money. While paying customers actually ARE entitled to good service, the servers quickly lose sight of their role in the eating experience.

If you look at any commonly accepted book on etiquette, 7% is the standard on tips.

Greedy piglets.

Your a greedy piglet maybe in other countries the proper etiquette is 7% but here 15% is proper for basic service and goes up from there for exceptional service, not to mention the hourly wage for servers in most states is less than $3.00 and hour, which only covers the taxes on our paychecks. How often do you get paychecks that say void on them? Which means server's rely on gratuity's to support themselves and their families. Next time you go to your favorite restaurant I bet if you looked around everyone is getting far better service than your table and your "proper etiquette tipping" table is getting the service your gratuities deserve. As a matter of fact the next time you go out for dinner realize that you should be having a good time, and you wont be cooking or cleaning up for your self. Instead of being miserable and looking for reasons to complain and leave a bad tip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

To everyone who prefers to leave poor gratuities or none at all. Guess what...."You don't have to tip at most fast food establishments". Also in most of the United States servers hourly wage doesn't even cover taxes and almost always get checks that are voided. Thus we rely on gratuities to support ourselves and our families. I'm not saying you should reward poor service, just be fair.

48 months ago

Poco in Washington, District of Columbia said: We only give God and the church 10% why would you expect more?

Maybe cause us servers actually do work for you. "God" doesn't need money, what you choose to give to your church is purely a donation, not payment for services rendered.

Annie O. in Pompano Beach, Florida

48 months ago

Greedy piglets.

What "commonly accepted book of etiquette" are you referring to?
I would love to read it.
My college graduate father has been tending bar for 38 years. He wants to know also. According to Dad, the standard 25 years ago was 15%, and it raises like the cost of ANYTHING with inflation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

boberonicus in San Jose, California

48 months ago

In Austin, Ms. Ray orders soup, salad, and iced tea for $9.75 and leaves $2.26 for "tax and tip". Austin sales tax is 8.25% so that's 80 cents tax and and $1.46 tip. Giving her the benefit of the doubt on the "don't tip on tax" bit, that's precisely 15% tip. But I'd still argue that it's a lousy tip given the effort involved. It may well be that she's more generous when she's not trying to travel on $40/day, but I think she sends the wrong message.

alansgurl in Eugene, Oregon

47 months ago

Sooo... the beginning of this post was about Rachel Ray only tipping 7%... The name of the show is "$40 a Day" obviously making a point of staying under $40 a day when taking a trip. I think the places she visits (and the staff that work there)should be grateful as this will benefit them! She has come to 3 cities near me and now I know where to eat and what places to visit while I'm there. I'm sure a lot of other people in my area are thinking the same thing... so they are sure to see our business and in today's economy, that's a GREAT THING!

PS... I was also a server for many years (restuarant and bar) and I always only expected to recieve what I put out for people. If I was slow or having a bad day, I wouldn't expect to go home with much! But on great days... EVERYBODY went home HAPPY! Including me!

sbb in Tucson, Arizona

47 months ago

Jeri in Robertsdale, Alabama said: Has anyone else taken the time to watch this show? I have been watching for sometime now in total astonishment. She goes on national television and basically shows, that tipping roughly 7% is ok. On one show in particular I calculated her "tax and tip" of $1.40 on a $9.90 meal. If you give a low tax estimate of 7% then that leaves about .70 for the tip, from that $1.40, or roughly 7%.
And we as servers wonder why the public tips so poorly.

1.40 of 9.9 is 14.something% not 7.. or are you saying that she should leave 1.4?

Not you in Redlands, California

46 months ago

get real in Dunn, North Carolina

46 months ago

What about the fact that the server maybe serving 5 tables with an average of 10 to 15 dollars a table in tips. That's 50 an hour for a job that you do not even go to school for. That;s whats crazy. Why has no one mentioned this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Billy D in Asheville, North Carolina

45 months ago

Theresa in Tehachapi, California said: I work in a "people service industry". When I go out to eat, I do tip because "I'm expected to" however, As a Registered nurse who wipes your butt, empties your bedside commode, dodges vomit...We don't get tips, our hospital pays our checks just as your rest. owners pay your. No one made you take your job just as no one made me take mine. I don't feel like I should have to tip but I do cause i'm being courteous. Next time you are around a nurse, at least thank him/her. And when your waiting tables don't be so self rightous that they "owe it to you". Its a gift not a right.

If tha's what you do for you patients, then you are either a lousy nurse with a bottom of the barrell job....or you're actually a nurse AID!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Tehachapi, California

45 months ago

Just a comment to Billy Boy in Asheville, North Carolina. I am an great emrgency room nurse. That is just a bit of what I do do, but for you who is arrogent, rude, and self centered....I think I would let you crap your pants, vomit all over yourself, tell you its not my job to clean you up and discharge you and let you sit your *&* out in the lobby. You are the kind of person that annoys a nurse and a waitress/waiter. If I were a waitress and you spilled all over yourself I would take my sweet time to get you something to clean up, if I did at all, and you would still have to pay for your meal. I would say your comment is not helpful and neither are you. Enjoy your next ER visit!

Flack in Rachel, West Virginia

44 months ago

How much should you tip?
The generally accepted value is 15% to 20%, though outside North America it may be different.

If service was horrible, tip nothing and notify management. If the service was slow, tip 10%. If service was ok, tip 15%. If service was great, tip 20%.

With that note: It is not the responsibility of the paying customer, to pay a waitress's salary. (and yes, I have waited tables and I'm fully aware of how hard the work is) Drop the entitlement. A tip is earned.

longtimeserver in Raleigh, North Carolina

41 months ago

Working in a restaurant is extremely hard work, physically and emotionally for those of you who have never had the pleasure of being employed in one. If you work in a restaurant too long, as I probably have you run the potential of becoming jaded. This includes the expectation of a certain tip percentage. But, THE NORM PERCENTAGE IS CONTINUOUSLY CHANGING and INCREASING. It is the responsibility of a good consumer to keep up to date on this information, just as you would if you were being a responsible traveler. Service staff in this country rely on tips, it is how we pay our bills, feed ourselves and our families.

I went to college, I have a degree that I would love to get paid to use but just like everyone els, I have been affected by the economy too so I am greatfully employeed in the service industry. There is one thing I want people to know when the go out to eat, good service is not always completely up to your server. If your food is late, or your drinks take a long time there are other people in charge of those areas of a restaurant and when you tip someone poorly for something that was not their fault it is very upsetting. Also, servers tip out bartenders, bussers, dishwashers, hosts and sometimes kitchen staff in a lot of restaurants based on their sales for the shift not their tips. Im not saying you should feel bad for your server and give them more money just keep these sorts of things in mind. A little empathy can go a long way. I hope all of your dining experiences are exceptional, servers are people too, we are not DMV angry robots...just kidding.

Katie in Irving, Texas

38 months ago

LISA in Dayton, Ohio said: Get over it, you "SERVERS at least you have a job. So if you want to make the big bucks get a real job.. I would rather eat at home anyways.

In europe serving is a profession. Infact servers have to go to school to become a server there. It's when America realized it could get away with not paying wait staff here, because of the tipping system, that this came to be and somehow they pay reflects the attitude towards wait staff. I work at a very laborsome job...and waiting tables is about the only job in which my potential to make money is there while I'm in school taking 15 hours a semester which is actually 30 hrs a week before homework, meaning I can't work alot and need a job where I have the potential to make more than something hourly. in my training manual we are making 25 visits to the table, 8 of which involve setting up, breaking down and lefting filled trays. Ever been to the Melting Pot? That's where I work. It's a gamble going to work, but I feel I have no choice. Should I consider prostittuion to pay the bills? The fact that many students are now doing that in secrecy because they have no other choice considering the financial demands are a sign of the times, and jobs are hard to come by. so yes I'm grateful to be working, but not grateful for how corrput it all is. The restaurant industry is very corrupt so to hear comments such as this is dishearteneing. Maybe one day we'll look back and consider this legal slavery and how dare anyone condone the server who is just trying to use this as a stepping stone to get somewhere else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Irving, Texas

38 months ago

Katie in Irving, Texas said: In europe serving is a profession. Infact servers have to go to school to become a server there. It's when America realized it could get away with not paying wait staff here, because of the tipping system, that this came to be and somehow they pay reflects the attitude towards wait staff. I work at a very laborsome job...and waiting tables is about the only job in which my potential to make money is there while I'm in school taking 15 hours a semester which is actually 30 hrs a week before homework, meaning I can't work alot and need a job where I have the potential to make more than something hourly. in my training manual we are making 25 visits to the table, 8 of which involve setting up, breaking down and lefting filled trays. Ever been to the Melting Pot? That's where I work. It's a gamble going to work, but I feel I have no choice. Should I consider prostittuion to pay the bills? The fact that many students are now doing that in secrecy because they have no other choice considering the financial demands are a sign of the times, and jobs are hard to come by. so yes I'm grateful to be working, but not grateful for how corrput it all is. The restaurant industry is very corrupt so to hear comments such as this is dishearteneing. Maybe one day we'll look back and consider this legal slavery and how dare anyone condone the server who is just trying to use this as a stepping stone to get somewhere else.

Not to mention....I would say every person I work with is either a graduate, or in school. Half of them are in their thirties with a degree.

Katie in Irving, Texas

38 months ago

jim in New York, New York said: I never noticed any of Ms. Ray's servers being rude to her.

Well...we have to grin and bear alot of things. That are she side tips them off the show. We can't act rude, it's a write up. So we are conditioned to accept all kinds of treatment and injustice, if we want our jobs. We are told "you better be glad you have a job." it's all very corrupt. I bet you every salaried person comes to work with a bad attitude once in a while, or at least is not iin the mood to brown nose that day, but that doesn't change their pay rate.

Andy in Mission Viejo, California

37 months ago

First:The level of service and knowledge of etiquette I have to provide far exceeds that of the norm

Then: but a waiter in Chili's works just as hard as I do.

Jennifer in Los Angeles, California

37 months ago

alice in Oakland, California said: DID YOU SAY " This is the reason people should have to take an IQ test before procreating." For a rich television personality to poorly tip is beyond poor taste but to verbally abuse the common folks for their beliefs and to tell someone they're stupid and have no right to live,SHAME ON YOU! The problem appears to be abusing versus educating people. I have spent 30y treating verbally,physically and emotionally abused clients. Our words have consequences. It's words such as those that lead to physical violence. What ever happened to respecting each other and educating people when they do not UNDERSTAND?

Really? Come on, anyone with a little sense would realize that this person was just voicing a bit of frustration at the blatant purposeful ignorance of someone who wants an excuse not to tip. Sure words have consequences but nothing said here is going to lead to physical violence. Are we not being just a little melodramatic? Spending so long working with abused clients is respectful but just leaving such a ludicrous comment makes me think that you are using it as an excuse and do not really work with such people.

Lyn in Hoffman Estates, Illinois

37 months ago

Hey Lisa in Dayton. How dare you! What a terrible thing to say! No one said we want to make "THE BIG BUCKS" Servers count on tips to bring their pay up to minimum wage. Educate yourself on a servers wage before you speak and please do stuff your face at home because you do bot deserve to sit and relax and have someone serve you. Serve yourself!

Kate in Centreville, Virginia

37 months ago

It doesn't stand for To Insure Promptness, considering it would be "ensure" not insure. Idiot.

semora in Covington, Georgia

37 months ago

Melissa in Big Rapids, Michigan said: 1.40 divided by 9.90 is a 14.14% tip. Where did you learn math? And do a little fact research before you spout off please. Rachel Ray is a rags to riches story and she has worked her tail off to get where she is at! Jealous much? P.S. I am a professional server also ... and you don't see me whining about other people's success.

that would be a decent tip IF it was just the tip, however that was tax AND tip. since tax at restaurants runs 7%, that leaves just 71 cents for the tip

Danny J in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

37 months ago

YOUR customer care skills serving... in Frisco, Texas said: Your/servers customer care & improving the eating experience MUST be top notch.

TIP actually stands for T.I.P. = To Insure Prompt (I beleive).

SERVERS are not entitled to anything... 0% if the experience is crummy.

20% would be for a server offering excellent service, excellent promptness to the needs of the GUEST.

If you tip 0% you are making the server pay to wait on you. Servers tip out bartenders, bussers, support staff and sometimes even hosts and kitchen employees all based on what they sell. If you ring up $100 tab most servers tip $3 to $5 to support staff simply on the sale of the items. These sales are also taxed by the government. If your service is bad try to think of why it is bad. Are your drinks taking long because the bartender hasn't made them? Is the food slow because you or someone at your table ordered it well done? Did someone at the table next to you spill a drink or have children who left a giant mess to clean up? Is the table next to you from out of town and asking directions? These factors should be considered. Was your server friendly at least? To some people it is a preference. Would you rather have a rude prompt server with no personality or someone who is friendly, makes you laugh a few times, is nice to your kids and maybe takes a bit longer. In the end there is only one loser if you leave 0% tip. If you are so selfish that you think someone should PAY to wait on you no matter what the circumstances are you are the loser. Are you a bigger person than that? When I was a tipped employee and was stiffed I would just laugh to myself and say "At least I'm not that guy/lady. Their life clearly sucks a lot worse than mine if a few bucks is this big a deal."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ashk in Excelsior, Minnesota

37 months ago

Fine. If you people don't want to tip, we can put it on the establishments to raise wages appropriately. But now keep in mind, to afford the increase from the original 30% labor costs, that means we will be raising menu prices 153%! so that 10 dollar salad is now costing you 15.30 dollars!

A struggling server in Ocala, Florida

37 months ago

It pains me to see this. The fact that she is promoting this, telling people to cut their tip to save money, is ridiculous. I understand that tipping is not required. But others need to understand that tips are what pays my bills. And barely at that.

Some say that if I don't like how I'm paid find a new job. I ask, where? I'm lucky to have the job I have. But at times it isn't fair.

I work harder at this job then I have at any other. I spend 8 hours being pleasant, smiling, joking, running around, and carrying heavy things. All while planning out what needs to be done next. While I'm working on one thing, I have 3 other things that need to be done as well. It never ends. All for you to leave me a two dollar tip. How would you feel?

Alana Skye in Carter Lake, Iowa

37 months ago

Having been a waitress I know the stress of waiting tables. I never worked in a "high class" place but still had to declare tips at 8% weather or not received. I think anyone who gives advice on tipping needs to try waitressing with the knowledge that this their sole income.

Alana Skye in Carter Lake, Iowa

37 months ago

Having been a waitress I know the stress of waiting tables. I never worked in a "high class" place but still had to declare tips at 8% weather or not received. I think anyone who gives advice on tipping needs to try waitressing with the knowledge that this their sole income.

Clay in Omaha, Nebraska

37 months ago

For those of you that would like everyone to not survive on tips and expect the restaurants to instead raise their hourly rates..... expect your meal to go up dramatically in price!!! The reason your meal is at that price is because they don't have to pay their servers hardly anything!!

Server Love in Cincinnati, Ohio

37 months ago

get real in Dunn, North Carolina said: What about the fact that the server maybe serving 5 tables with an average of 10 to 15 dollars a table in tips. That's 50 an hour for a job that you do not even go to school for. That;s whats crazy. Why has no one mentioned this?

Um, no it's not $50 an hour...if you're talking about $10/15 tips I assume you are referring to dinner service. And most people I know take longer than an hour to sit down, order some drinks, look over the menu, eat their meal, get dessert, etc. Some people may even sit there for several hours because they don't get together often and have a lot of catching up to do or whatever. So that right there takes it down to $25/35. Then when you consider that a substantial portion of a servers tips then get divided up among the support staff it becomes even lower than that. Add to this the fact that the restaurant may have a couple slow nights a week when the server does not have more than a couple tables at a time, the average per hour over the course of the year becomes much lower.

How do I know all this? My husband is a professional server at a very high end steak place (yes professional - it is his "real" job because he likes making people's nights out an enjoyable experience). And on slow nights sometimes he comes home with $40 or so after working an 8+ hour shift, which is unbelievably demoralizing. So please take all the facts into consideration before you run your mouth.

JAR in Columbus, Ohio

37 months ago

I don't understand why your complaining. Tipping is such a useless concept. I mean, they're working as servers, their job is to basically serve me. If anything, tipping should only be used to reward the cooks. They are the reason that I even go to restaurants, not the service. Its not my fault that servers feel they do not get enough pay from their paycheck and resort to basically begging for money. If they feel that way, find a different job I say. Why should I have to be punished for their ignorance. Besides, I don't demand a tip for doing my job. So stop complaining.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lyn in Hoffman Estates, Illinois

37 months ago

You don't need tips because you make above minimum wage. Servers make $4-$5 below minimum wage because tips are expected. You are totally wrong about everything you just said. If you want to go out to eat and not tip then go to a fast food restaurant and tip the burger flippers, who by the way along with cooks get minimum wage or above.People who get served and do not tip have absolutely no class!

Server Love in Cincinnati, Ohio

37 months ago

JAR in Columbus, Ohio said: I don't understand why your complaining. Tipping is such a useless concept. I mean, they're working as servers, their job is to basically serve me. If anything, tipping should only be used to reward the cooks. They are the reason that I even go to restaurants, not the service. Its not my fault that servers feel they do not get enough pay from their paycheck and resort to basically begging for money. If they feel that way, find a different job I say. Why should I have to be punished for their ignorance. Besides, I don't demand a tip for doing my job. So stop complaining.

Do not get enough from their paycheck? The paychecks that servers bring home are literally for $0 because ALL of their hourly wage goes to pay taxes - and that doesn't even cover it, my husband still owes a couple thousand at the end of each year because he gets taxed on all his tips, even the money that he pays out to bussers, bartenders, etc. Can YOU live off of $0?? I didn't think so. Neither can anyone else. So if servers who felt they weren't making enough from their paycheck, which would be ALL OF THEM, went and found different work, who would be left to serve you that delicious food those cooks prepared? Yeah, no one.

server from Tucson in Tampa, Florida

37 months ago

sbb in Tucson, Arizona said: 1.40 of 9.9 is 14.something% not 7.. or are you saying that she should leave 1.4?

sbb I recently left Tucson where I was a server for many years. First Ms. Ray left $1.40 On $9.90 for TAX and tip. The tax rate in Tucson is 9.1% this is (city,county,state) they all take a cut. So that means $1.09 went right to taxes leaving her server $.31. Of that $.31, at my restaurant, 3% of the total bill goes to bussers and bartenders. So there goes $.30 more. So thanks to Ms. Rays generous tip her server made a penny. Now of that penny that her server received the IRS still has not taken their cut. So after the IRS gets their money the server has now paid money out of their pocket to have the pleasure of wasting their time serving Ms. Ray.

And for those of you that say the IRS would never know. Not true. At most restaurants the computer that you ring orders in on tracks all of your sales. At the end of your shift a report is generated and total sales are recorded. The restaurant calculates 8% of total sales as a servers take home income whether you make it or you don't. And obviously in Ms. Rays case her server did not make anywhere close to it.

37 months ago

JAR in Columbus, Ohio said: I don't understand why your complaining. Tipping is such a useless concept. I mean, they're working as servers, their job is to basically serve me. If anything, tipping should only be used to reward the cooks. They are the reason that I even go to restaurants, not the service. Its not my fault that servers feel they do not get enough pay from their paycheck and resort to basically begging for money. If they feel that way, find a different job I say. Why should I have to be punished for their ignorance. Besides, I don't demand a tip for doing my job. So stop complaining.

ok fine, how about this? You come out to a restaurant. You get your own plates, drinks, silverware, and food. You take all of the dirty dishes away, and make sure the table is clean. then you won't have to worry about tipping. though you might as well have stayed home.

We as server's do not BEG for money. We perform a service to our guests, and expect to be paid accordingly, because our pay is not included in the price of your meal. If it was you would be paying a whole lot more every time you want to go out to eat. You are obviously a very close minded person.

37 months ago

ok fine, how about this? You come out to a restaurant. You get your own plates, drinks, silverware, and food. You take all of the dirty dishes away, and make sure the table is clean. then you won't have to worry about tipping. though you might as well have stayed home.

We as server's do not BEG for money. We perform a service to our guests, and expect to be paid accordingly, because our pay is not included in the price of your meal. If it was you would be paying a whole lot more every time you want to go out to eat. You are obviously a very close minded person.

A struggling Server in Ocala, Florida

36 months ago

Theresa in Bakersfield, California said: all I hear is complaining about servers not being paid, "after taxing and paying bussers,etc leaves a zero paycheck" Than WHY do you waite on tables?????? I, and most people base their decision to go out and where to eat, based on the plate price per person. I leave a tip, based on feeling obligation, not because I feel bad for you. I ask this again: If your paycheck is zero, than why do you do it??? Why not volunteer at a animal shelter, a hospital helping elders..or would you like a tip with that too? Quit complaining. If employers were not paying you a check, you would not be in the bussiness. Get off your %&@! and go back to school..oh sorry, they dont tip you there either.

Oh I get a paycheck. Its about $30 a week. And where exactly would you like for us to go and get another job at? It was hard enough getting the one I have now. and I AM in school, thank you very much. As are MOST of the people I work with. Not to mention, not all people can afford school. did you think about ANY of that before you made your comment? You, mam, are very ignorant to what goes on around you.

A struggling Server in Ocala, Florida

36 months ago

Theresa in Bakersfield, California said: all I hear is complaining about servers not being paid, "after taxing and paying bussers,etc leaves a zero paycheck" Than WHY do you waite on tables?????? I, and most people base their decision to go out and where to eat, based on the plate price per person. I leave a tip, based on feeling obligation, not because I feel bad for you. I ask this again: If your paycheck is zero, than why do you do it??? Why not volunteer at a animal shelter, a hospital helping elders..or would you like a tip with that too? Quit complaining. If employers were not paying you a check, you would not be in the bussiness. Get off your %&@! and go back to school..oh sorry, they dont tip you there either.

Oh I get a paycheck. Its about $30 a week. And where exactly would you like for us to go and get another job at? It was hard enough getting the one I have now. and I AM in school, thank you very much. As are MOST of the people I work with. Not to mention, not all people can afford school. did you think about ANY of that before you made your comment? You, mam, are very ignorant to what goes on around you.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.