Rachael Ray's $40 A Day

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 123 of 123)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Proud Server in Huntersville, North Carolina

48 months ago

I am a server at a resteraunt in which 5+ years experience is needed to work there. I take my job very seriously, and I absolutely love being a server. Most people who come into my restaurant know how to tip, but there are those who don't. People think that I am making more there than I actually am because every table that comes in I have to tip out 10% of my sales. So if someone leaves me a 10% tip I make nothing, if they leave less I have to still pay everyone else and I loose money. If they tip 20% I only get 10%. Plus the 2.15 an hour, because I don't have children or tax right off's, I do not get a paycheck. My entire 2.15 an hour check is taxed.
So when I get a 15% tip I feel like I didn't do my best job and it tells me that I need to do better. I have done pretty horrible things to people who have tipped less than 10%.
Servers handle your food, how long it takes for you to get your food, but most importantly we handle your credit cards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sc neil in Palo Alto, California

48 months ago

It's sad to see servers complain about how hard the job is and the cheap tips, yet continue to stay in the industry for years and even make a career out of it. Obviously, the pay isn't so bad.

I am not opposed to tipping and do tip fairly well about 99% of the time. The very few times I didn't... well, let's say they worked hard at not getting it. I tip out of obligation because it is "expected" in our society and not because I want to.

I do not believe our tipping system is "fair". For example, my husband and I may have dinner at $50. The "expected" 20% tip is $9.17. We'll round it off to $10 which is now 22% tip. What did we tip $10 for? For someone to show us to our table, take our order, bring us our food, come back one time to ask if everything is all right and bring us the bill. Ten minutes max with our server costs us $10 extra for the hour we sit there. In California, our server just made $18 an hour, just from our table alone. No one wonder we have college grads continuing to wait tables.

On the other hand, the table next to us will be a family of four. The server caters to the family with drinks, mopping up spills, bringing ketchup, booster seat, etc....Their bill is $35 (kids menu, kids eat free, whatever...). They leave a 20% tip of $6.42. The server spent more time with them than us. Should we tip less because we're low maintenance customers?

BTW... $8/hourly wage + $10 tip (from me) + $6.42 (from the family)=$24.42/hour. This does not even factor into the other tables you have. I know... you have to share your tips.

For the servers who tell people who can't afford to tip, to stay home, I wonder if the owner of the restaurant feels the same way.

I think that I'll just pay a flat $5/person tip whenever I eat out regardless of how much my bill is. I think this is fair. This way, my breakfast server will get the same as my dinner server.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kj in Minneapolis, Minnesota

48 months ago

Who taught you math??? 20% of $50 is $10!! 20% of 35 is $7!! My nephew can do that math....he's 8!!!
Anyone on here who says servers are greedy or should just get a new job....you've obviously never been a server and you don't know the first thing about how hard a job it really is!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smart in Minneapolis, Minnesota

48 months ago

First of all....you are an idiot! What servers make an hour is determined by which state they work in. Some are minimum wage and others are around $2.16. I thankfully work in a state where we get paid minimum wage. That being said, my paychecks are usually around $90 for a two week period. Definitely not enough to live on, which is why we get angry about bad tippers. Now my paychecks are so low because I have to pay taxes on my tips and that comes out of my hourly wage. We have to claim our tips every shift and a lot of the time we have to claim more than we are actually walking out the door with because of everyone we have to tip out...bussers, expos, and bartenders! I have to work six days a week to make enough money to pay my bills. I've tried to go back to school three times but because I'm not on welfare with six kids they won't give me loans or grants because I make too much money!! I love that you feel so above servers that you feel you tip to "better" their lives....maybe you can better everyone's lives by staying home!!!! People who work in the restaurant business are some of the smartest, nicest people I've ever worked with, so please get off your high horse and eat at home....thanks:-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

smart in Minneapolis, Minnesota

48 months ago

smart in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: First of all....you are an idiot! What servers make an hour is determined by which state they work in. Some are minimum wage and others are around $2.16. I thankfully work in a state where we get paid minimum wage. That being said, my paychecks are usually around $90 for a two week period. Definitely not enough to live on, which is why we get angry about bad tippers. Now my paychecks are so low because I have to pay taxes on my tips and that comes out of my hourly wage. We have to claim our tips every shift and a lot of the time we have to claim more than we are actually walking out the door with because of everyone we have to tip out...bussers, expos, and bartenders! I have to work six days a week to make enough money to pay my bills. I've tried to go back to school three times but because I'm not on welfare with six kids they won't give me loans or grants because I make too much money!! I love that you feel so above servers that you feel you tip to "better" their lives....maybe you can better everyone's lives by staying home!!!! People who work in the restaurant business are some of the smartest, nicest people I've ever worked with, so please get off your high horse and eat at home....thanks:-)

this is in response to Theresa in Bakresfield, CA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sc neil in Palo Alto, California

48 months ago

kj in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Who taught you math??? 20% of $50 is $10!! 20% of 35 is $7!! My nephew can do that math....he's 8!!!
Anyone on here who says servers are greedy or should just get a new job....you've obviously never been a server and you don't know the first thing about how hard a job it really is!!

Let me help you a little.

Meal for two people
Food = $45.82
Tax at 9%= 4.13
20% tip from food cost of $45.80= $9.17
22% tip =$9.17 rounded to the nearest dollar. In this case it's $10.
Total out the door: $60.
No apologies necessary.

You can do the math for the family of 4.

I'm not disputing whether it's a hard job or not. It's all relative.

My point is the fairness of basing tips on food cost as opposed to the real amount of work put into working for tips. I've seen time and time again how much my husband and I tip for a meal that doesn't require as much effort as a family eating on $.99 night.

At the end of the day, we're all working folks and money is hard to come by. Telling us to stay home isn't the answer because you will be out of a job if we all stayed home. Lots of restaurants go belly up when they don't make money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smart in Minneapolis, Minnesota

48 months ago

Ha ha ha....you soooo got me!! Not really because those weren't the amounts you put in your original comment! Obviously I'm a server so I take percents pretty seriously. So I won't apologize for your lack of putting accurate prices in your comment!!
I by no means want people to stay home....just the bad tippers! I fully understand if you get bad service you should tip accordingly. There are days I know I didn't do all I should for a table and I understand when a less than 20% tip is given.
You are saying whether or not it is a hard job when you say you are basing tips on food cost compared to the work put forth by the server. I have worked somewhere that had a .99 taco night and trust me, on those nights I worked harder than a regular night because it was cheap food and I've had some great customers who understood how much I ran my butt off and would leave me more than 20%. All I'm saying is if you don't like tipping or are a bad tipper...go to McDonalds or Subway where you don't have to tip....those businesses need money too:-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A struggling Server in Ocala, Florida

48 months ago

response: Oh pls. be candid and honest now. Are you collecting money from the state? Under the table? Side bussiness? If thats all you are making than you must be cachectic and disease stricken from malnutrition. Pls. tell us what cell phone brand you really have? Ive seen more poverty stricken people with black berry phones and driving around in high price cars..did I say cell phones for each of their kids, and a Cal. state medical card to bring into the hosp. to "pay" for Er visit for an ant bite! Ignorant? Not. The servers in my state are equally collecting min. wage..$8.00/hr appprox. Reguardless whether they are Mc Donalds servers, K-mart cashiers, gas station attendends, cooks, or waiting on tables..thats why they call it MINIMUM wage! If you were making ONLY $30 a week (unless $60.00 a month were your rent), you would not be doing that because you know that you could make around $10 per hr. cleaning houses, $5-20 to mow a yard. You sound like a logical person, NOT, maybe perhaps just untruthful. the truth is that we tip well according to service because we want them to be able to better their lives, help pay for their kids or their education..be encouraging. Not because they dont make min. wage, or they are "on their feet all day". My job requires me to be on my feet 12 hrs at a time, potty break after 8 hrs..no tips, pd well, LOVE serving people! lots of hard work and sacrifice to get my education. Here's some Kleen

You should check your facts. In the state of Florida SERVER minimum wage is 4.29. So yes, my paychecks are about $30, thats after all of my taxes are taken out. ALL of my money come from the Tips I earn. No, I do not get any outside help, I do everything all on my own. Yes I have a cell phone, yes I have a car. I work very hard to pay for everything I have. I'm 21 years old and I already have a lot to show for myself, all earned on my own, with hard work and determination. All while I'm in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sc neil in Palo Alto, California

48 months ago

Here's an interesting article on restaurants losing business. It's even more interesting to read the comments in the below about our favorite topic... tipping.

finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/113396/casual-dining-upheaval-businessweek

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

amanda in Dalton, Georgia

41 months ago

The church doesn't have children to support and the church has nothing to do with people who are working. It is insane to me how some people can throw God into any conversation. I am Christian but not the back woods kind who would see fit to throw God into this conversation. Here is a fact for you, you are not giving money to God, you are giving money to the church. God does not need money. Nor is he receiving any of the 10% you are giving to the church. I also am a server and married young and had children. I tried to attend college and did for a year but it was hard having small children. My youngest child starts school soon so I will be going back. However serving jobs work well with your schedule which makes it easier as a parent to go to school functions and have birthday, etc. off. There are many reasons people have serving jobs.And we deserve to make money as well. I tip out 2.25% of your check to host and bartenders. Also my entire paycheck goes to pay taxes so I get a 0$ check. If you do not tip me I have to pay to wait on you which takes food out of my children's mouths. Any intelligent person would never go back into a place where they have previously not tipped well. You service will suffer and you will for sure get your drink refilled and whatever else you need after I have taken care of the guest who do tip. I would never do it but we are handling what you put into your body and it is pretty stupid to piss someone off who could do many things to your food. If I do not have money to tip I eat fast food.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Tehachapi, California

41 months ago

So the servers at fast food don't deserve tips?? Can Nurses have the same attitude as you...If you don't do nice to us, we can "do whatever we want. We handle what goes into your body" I get it. You're having hard times and struggling. but please don't put that on your customers. There are other ways to make better money. And, as you know from first hand experience, sometimes people just can't afford a tip every time. If people stopped going out to eat when they couldn't add 5 or 8 bucks to the bill, the restaraunt wouldn't even be able to open the doors. Things are tough all over, not just for servers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Tehachapi, California

41 months ago

Proud Server in Huntersville, North Carolina said:
"Servers handle your food, how long it takes for you to get your food, but most importantly we handle your credit cards.
"

Sounds very threatening and childish. Is there an aptitude test before they hire food servers? If this is an example of the average food server, maybe we should all stay home, even us tippers. you're comment, and its not the first time I've heard this, causes me and others to be alarmed. Can you say "trusting issues". Where do work? cause I assure you, that if your employer were to become aware of your attitude and your comment, you would be unemployed very quickly. You might even be investigated if there were some problems coming out of that restraunt. I just dare you to post your employment information. You and any other servers with this threatening attitude should be a shamed of your self!!!! You make me ill. As a nurse, you must trust me in what I do with your treatment AND your information and I may be expecting too much from other people, servers of all types, but you should be able to recipricate that...that means Do unto others as you would expect them to do unto you. Not throw a tantrum and cause them harm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Tehachapi, California

41 months ago

A struggling Server in Ocala, Florida said: Oh I get a paycheck. Its about $30 a week. And where exactly would you like for us to go and get another job at? It was hard enough getting the one I have now. and I AM in school, thank you very much. As are MOST of the people I work with. Not to mention, not all people can afford school. did you think about ANY of that before you made your comment? You, mam, are very ignorant to what goes on around you.

No you are ignorant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Tehachapi, California

41 months ago

smart in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: this is in response to Theresa in Bakresfield, CA

In Calif. you can recieve welfare assistance for kids, underemployment benefits from the great state of Calif, and free medical=free emergency room entrance pass. All this for living in the golden state of Calif! Paid for by your by YOUR server, your nurses. ......did you ever consider birth controll?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Tehachapi, California

41 months ago

[QUOTE who="Rob in Baltimore, Maryland"
Also, the IRS and federal government consider tipping an "expected custom" in America, thus tips have to be declared and are taxed income.

That is so sosoososososo wrong with the government taxing tips. Next they will be taxing Christmas presents. Be angry at the government for overtaxation, not your customers that probably are earning as much as you much of the time. you can't judge a book by it's cover, no matter how good a reader you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Tehachapi, California

41 months ago

smart in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Ha ha ha....you soooo got me!! Not really because those weren't the amounts you put in your original comment! Obviously I'm a server so I take percents pretty seriously. So I won't apologize for your lack of putting accurate prices in your comment!!
I by no means want people to stay home....just the bad tippers! I fully understand if you get bad service you should tip accordingly. There are days I know I didn't do all I should for a table and I understand when a less than 20% tip is given.
You are saying whether or not it is a hard job when you say you are basing tips on food cost compared to the work put forth by the server. I have worked somewhere that had a .99 taco night and trust me, on those nights I worked harder than a regular night because it was cheap food and I've had some great customers who understood how much I ran my butt off and would leave me more than 20%. All I'm saying is if you don't like tipping or are a bad tipper...go to McDonalds or Subway where you don't have to tip....those businesses need money too:-)

subway has a tipping jar! Everybody wants more. Soon Kmart and grocery stores will have tipping jars! Don't they work hard too! Then what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

amanda in Dalton, Georgia

41 months ago

Theresa in Tehachapi, California said: subway has a tipping jar! Everybody wants more. Soon Kmart and grocery stores will have tipping jars! Don't they work hard too! Then what?[/QUO
Those places pay their employees a hourly rate. They don't make 2.13$ a hour that goes to pay a servers taxes. Servers do make minimum wage if you include their tips the in which they pay taxes on and have to tip out other employees in some places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

seriously? in Lincolnshire, Illinois

38 months ago

Melissa in Big Rapids, Michigan said: 1.40 divided by 9.90 is a 14.14% tip. Where did you learn math? And do a little fact research before you spout off please. Rachel Ray is a rags to riches story and she has worked her tail off to get where she is at! Jealous much? P.S. I am a professional server also ... and you don't see me whining about other people's success.

"Tax AND tip"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

grammar in Lincolnshire, Illinois

38 months ago

Adding a hundred exclamation points and question marks doesn't help emphasize your point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lalala in New York, New York

36 months ago

Proud Server in Huntersville, North Carolina said: I have done pretty horrible things to people who have tipped less than 10%.
Servers handle your food , how long it takes for you to get your food, but most importantly we handle your credit cards.

How can someone who claims to take their job "very seriously" make a comment like your last one? I worked as a hostess at a major chain restaurant for one year during college, and almost all of the servers were "career" servers as you claim to be. Ninety-five percent of them were bitter, miserable and mean. The way they talked about both me and the customers behind our backs was absolutely horrible. After I quit, one of the waitresses actually apologized for the way she treated me, saying it was a "side-effect" of the job. I've seen similar attitudes in most other chain restaurants, just being a customer.

I will never understand why people make themselves miserable like that. There are plenty of other jobs that cause much less stress and irritation. I've brought this topic up before, and the answer is always "it's good money." Which makes me wonder why people like you complain so much -- if you like your job like you say you do, and you make plenty of money as a server, then why should you care if a customer or two gives you poor tips? Makes you seem greedy and bitter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

suzanne in Asheville, North Carolina

31 months ago

Theresa in Tehachapi, California said: I work in a "people service industry". When I go out to eat, I do tip because "I'm expected to" however, As a Registered nurse who wipes your butt, empties your bedside commode, dodges vomit...We don't get tips, our hospital pays our checks just as your rest. owners pay your. No one made you take your job just as no one made me take mine. I don't feel like I should have to tip but I do cause i'm being courteous. Next time you are around a nurse, at least thank him/her. And when your waiting tables don't be so self rightous that they "owe it to you". Its a gift not a right.

Really?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

W P in Virginia Beach, Virginia

7 months ago

M in Cabot, Arkansas said: "Thank you!" I have been saying the same thing for years! I cant understand why no one has ever pointed this out! She is showing people it's o.k. not to tip right so they can eat cheap and still get great service. Thats so wrong. Maybe she should wait tables in a restaurant she tells people to tip very little in! I cannot and will not support anything she does in fact I change the tv channel when she comes on.

Rachel Ray did wait tables before in her younger years. That is why I'm surprised she is a crappy tipper. I have watched the show and she is just trying to show for the network that it is possible to travel on $4o dollars a day even if you have to skimp on the tip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

W P in Virginia Beach, Virginia

7 months ago

Theresa in Tehachapi, California said: So the servers at fast food don't deserve tips?? Can Nurses have the same attitude as you...If you don't do nice to us, we can "do whatever we want. We handle what goes into your body" I get it. You're having hard times and struggling. but please don't put that on your customers. There are other ways to make better money. And, as you know from first hand experience, sometimes people just can't afford a tip every time. If people stopped going out to eat when they couldn't add 5 or 8 bucks to the bill, the restaraunt wouldn't even be able to open the doors. Things are tough all over, not just for servers.

Dining out is a luxury. If you can't afford a decent tip, then maybe you shouldn't be dining out. Successful employers will still make their money, those that aren't go out of business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.