What are the best restaurant server qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a restaurant server? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective restaurant server?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Joel ND in Fargo, North Dakota

77 months ago

I think the best thing is to host in the restaurant you want to work in for a min of 2 weeks to get the hang of how they are going to seat you. Also in that 2 weeks that gives you a chance to learn the menu and gives you a feel for management. The best certifications are the ones put on by your local law enforcement agencies that teach you the finer point to spot fake Id's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Michael Hill in Naples, Florida

61 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a restaurant server? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective restaurant server?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

I am not to sure what is available to you where you live, but I am starting a server school in Naples,Florida in a few months. This will be about a 4 hour class and will teach all the nuts and bolts of how to make real money as a professional server. It is important for a server to be confident about their abilities- that is what this class teaches. Good luck with your career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WickedVahine in Tempe, Arizona

60 months ago

Always be on time to work – fyi - usually you get the better seating area's assigned ; WOW your guest by always greeting your table with in the first minute they have been seated; even if you cannot get to them right away and your hands are full, always acknowledge your table!! Introduce yourself with a smile, and always offer an appetizer and a drink from the menu. Pick one to offer every table every time. For example never say “can I get you something to drink or would you like an appetizer?” Instead say “would you like to try our perfect margarita with our supreme Nacho’s today?”(Don’t forget to id every time! Never let someone else orders a drink for someone else that you have not carded; big fines, loss of your job and an arrest can follow for YOU! ) Not only are you upping your sales, your letting the customer know that your there to serve them and breaking the ice. Always repeat your order back to the customer, and make sure you ask when ordering steaks or burger, “pink or No pink?” this helps eliminate errors with the cooks. Always remember to bring out your appetizer and salads before the meals comes out, and keep your drinks refreshed and napkins on the table. Always think ahead of the customer “anticipation” is key. Depending on your shift, lunch or dinner, depends on when you secondly approach the table to ask about dessert. For instance lunch - once served, approach your table after about 3 minutes into their main meal, ask “would you like to try our key lime pie today?” if they say no, then lay their tab on the table and tell them when they are ready you will be happy to take care of them. Dinner time you can probably check back as you see people are half way through the main meal. Try not to wait till they are completely done eating to ask because it takes longer for them to wait and maybe longer depending on the dessert, time it accordingly; only if they insist on waiting they will let you know. Last but most importantly always clear as muc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Joel ND in Fargo, North Dakota said: I think the best thing is to host in the restaurant you want to work in for a min of 2 weeks to get the hang of how they are going to seat you. Also in that 2 weeks that gives you a chance to learn the menu and gives you a feel for management. The best certifications are the ones put on by your local law enforcement agencies that teach you the finer point to spot fake Id's.

This is so true but really a good 3 months should do the trick. Also try to see if you can expo in the kitchen during that time. That will help you see how and what the expo line and the cooks have to go through getting your orders out, when they are wrong or when you forget to tell them the customer did not want cheese on the quisidilla (spelling)! lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

con't

Last but most importantly always clear as much dirty dishes from the tables as you go i.e. appetizer dishes, dirty cups anything the customer does not need on the table. The worst thing for guest is not to have enough room to eat and feel cluttered.
Treat your customer’s right and they should treat you right, never let your problems come to work with you, guest can feel your vibe too! Some customer’s may seem they are only about business and you usually can spot those that are just there for a lunch meeting or having a bad day. So continue to smile, don’t let their attitude bring you down. Instead keep your professionalism, if there is a problem let them know you will get the manager right away, NEVER ARUGUE with the customer! Because even if they are wrong and sometimes they are, they still are always right!
Treat your guest (sections) as if you are entertaining in your own home, always making sure everyone is having an enjoyable experience! WOW!!
There is so much more but this should help you get started; also remember if you’re not a people person then this job is not for Always be on time to work – fyi - usually you get the better seating area's assigned ; WOW your guest by always greeting your table with in the first minute they have been seated; even if you cannot get to them right away and your hands are full, always acknowledge your table!! Introduce yourself with a smile, and always offer an appetizer and a drink from the menu. Pick one to offer every table every time. For example never say “can I get you something to drink or would you like an appetizer?” Instead say “would you like to try our perfect margarita with our supreme Nacho’s today?”(Don’t forget to id every time! Never let someone else orders a drink for someone else that you have not carded; big fines, loss of your job and an arrest can follow for YOU! ) Not only are you upping your sales, your letting the customer know that your there to serve them and breaking the ice. A

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

sorry about that it double pasted

cont'd
Last but most importantly always clear as much dirty dishes from the tables as you go i.e. appetizer dishes, dirty cups anything the customer does not need on the table. The worst thing for guest is not to have enough room to eat and feel cluttered.
Treat your customer’s right and they should treat you right, never let your problems come to work with you, guest can feel your vibe too! Some customer’s may seem they are only about business and you usually can spot those that are just there for a lunch meeting or having a bad day. So continue to smile, don’t let their attitude bring you down. Instead keep your professionalism, if there is a problem let them know you will get the manager right away, NEVER ARUGUE with the customer! Because even if they are wrong and sometimes they are, they still are always right!
Treat your guest (sections) as if you are entertaining in your own home, always making sure everyone is having an enjoyable experience! WOW!!
There is so much more but this should help you get started; also remember if you’re not a people person then this job is not for you !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angela in Monomoy Island, Massachusetts

53 months ago

Michael Hill in Naples, Florida said: I am not to sure what is available to you where you live, but I am starting a server school in Naples,Florida in a few months. This will be about a 4 hour class and will teach all the nuts and bolts of how to make real money as a professional server. It is important for a server to be confident about their abilities- that is what this class teaches. Good luck with your career!

hi!! i would love to know the name of that server school !!! i cant find it online!!??

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Cumberland, Maryland

51 months ago

Don't go to school! For real this is something you learn on the job. Don't be fooled. Go be a DRA for a while to see what it's like. I've been doing this for 15 years. Experience is what matters. Learn on your own. I can't recommend this job for anyone looking for the long-term. Reason being people are ignorant and you are basically their little slave. You'll see what I mean. Hopefully you see before you actually invest money into it for school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.