What do you enjoy most about your restaurant server career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a restaurant server? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Deborah in Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a restaurant server? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Multi-tasking and people skills are essential. You must treat your front of the house staff as a team and equally appreciate the back of the house: from the cooks to the dishwashers. It is not challenging if you are a team player and perform every time. There are always opportunities as long as you don not do what many apathetic servers do; do the least work to gain the most $. Apathy never pays off. The money is good based upon how much you kick ass as a server.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Seal Beach, California

86 months ago

I'm not gonna lie, what I like most about serving is the money. How awesome is it that you can spend six hours talking to and meeting awesome new people and taking care of them in exchange for walking home that day with 200 bucks in your pocket-excluding regular salary?
The server's life is the life to lead.

The thing I like least about serving is not the customers or the staff or my boss(es), it's just that I get way stressed when I get slammed. If I could learn to chill it'd be perfect.

PS Deborah used apathy in the wrong context.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Cumberland, Maryland

60 months ago

The only thing that keeps me at my job is the lack of options. I've done this now for over a decade and have worked at a plethora of restaurants. Other servers I know that I've worked in this business for a while are also desperately looking for their break. This isn't a long-time career. It will wear you down real quick. If you are a good server that cares you will be torn down even quicker. It's a cutthroat business as mentioned earlier. If you're lucky you will be working with a group of servers that work good together. Most of the time the servers want to create drama, manipulate the table margin (some are very good at it), and in turn looking to bring you down to make them look better. It's the sad reality. Add to this the customer who doesn't give a damn about you. You will deal with some very rude, ignorant, belligerent people that feel they are entitled to treat you like dirt because they can decide what you get paid. That phony smile only lasts so long before you find you are grinding your teeth instead. It's too bad the general public is so damn nasty. Sure you have good tables, but the bad ones weigh them out even if they are in the minority.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.