What are typical restaurant server salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

ryan in Newbury Park, California

94 months ago

Yes, if someone could please post the avarage pay for a restaurant server that would really help me out. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

94 months ago

ryan said: Yes, if someone could please post the avarage pay for a restaurant server that would really help me out. Thank you.

Try doing some searches on Indeed's Salary Search (www.indeed.com/salary). Here is a search I did to help you get started:
www.indeed.com/salary?q1=restaurant+server&l1=&tm=1

I would also suggest talking to servers at restaurants you're interested in working at to determine what they are making for tips.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

94 months ago

ryan said: Yes, if someone could please post the avarage pay for a restaurant server that would really help me out. Thank you.

Try doing some searches on Indeed's Salary Search (www.indeed.com/salary). Here is a search I did to help you get started:
www.indeed.com/salary?q1=restaurant+server&l1=&tm=1

I would also suggest talking to servers at restaurants you're interested in working at to determine what they are making for tips.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bo825 in Bullhead City, Arizona

94 months ago

Ryan.. the salary of a server varies from State to State. In Colorado its $2.15hr. Plus tips. Now in Calif I think its $5.?... But that is not what is important. What is important is how well you treat your customer table. Make them want to come back, and ask for you as a server. Do this with every table you have on your shift. Youll make very good money!!!

strawberry in Pasadena, California

67 months ago

ryan in Newbury Park, California said: Yes, if someone could please post the avarage pay for a restaurant server that would really help me out. Thank you.

minimum wage plus tips

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

morgan in Duluth, Georgia

64 months ago

where I work it's 2.13 plus tips

sc in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

ryan in Newbury Park, California said: Yes, if someone could please post the avarage pay for a restaurant server that would really help me out. Thank you.

It totally depends on the restaurant. Salaries don't really mean much. The difference between a great salary server job and a bad one is like two bucks an hour. Its all about how busy the restaurant is...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lpo4sho in Belleville, Illinois

63 months ago

i work at a casual, family dining, chain-restaurant where alcohol is not served and my hourly is 3.65. On average though, i make about 12.75 an hour, that is including tips and hourly wage. I only work weekends there too, so that accounts for more money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Cumberland, Maryland

53 months ago

Server get paid little hourly so they depend on tips. The tips acquired depend on a number of factors. Generally tips are based off of 15-20% of the total bill so work off that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

UNDER SERVER in Memphis, Tennessee

53 months ago

I LIVE IN MEMPHIS TN, I'BEEN WORKING AT IHOP FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS. US BEING SERVERS IN A 24 HOUR RESTURANT WE MAKE THE MIN. 2.13 AN HOUR PLUS TIPS MAYBE 3 DOLLARS A TABLE. I DONT AVERAGE MIN WADGE ITS LIKE PENNIES ON A DOLLAR ITS NOT FAIR ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

misty in Reno, Nevada

42 months ago

I live in Reno Nevada and i've been a server here for 4 years. I make 7.55 an hour and average 100.00 in tips per shift.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

monkey954 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

34 months ago

in florida it is 4.29 / hour plus tips less tip out for busser,food runner and bartender. You tip 2% for food runner, 1% for Busseron total sell ; 4% on liqor sell to bartender . A good server should make an average of 20% per check .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

sc in Chicago, Illinois said: It totally depends on the restaurant. Salaries don't really mean much. The difference between a great salary server job and a bad one is like two bucks an hour. Its all about how busy the restaurant is...

it is all about if you are an excellent server or not .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

As a server you will get minimum wage + tips.A good server make an average of 20 % of every check.So it is really depend.. what type of restaurant you work,casual but very busy,up scale,fine dinning...
Knowledge of products,wine ,mix drink ...food .the more you upsell the more your tip goes up and interact with guests ..be friendly don't be a robot .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn in Chisholm, Minnesota

32 months ago

In mn it's $7.25 per hour + tips and on an average night shift you can make $100 or more, lot depends on you and how you treat customers!! Better service equals better tip generally!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Server in Clarksville, Tennessee

8 months ago

I have been waiting tables in Tennessee for 11 yrs, and have always been paid 2.13. Its actually been over a year since I've seen a paycheck.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.