THE FOOD INDUSTRY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

BIG BROTHER D in Hampton, Virginia

78 months ago

HONESTLY THE FOOD INDUSTRY IS NOTHING MORE THAN THE GHETTO OF AMERICA/EVERYONE IS HIGHLY UNDERPAID IN MANAGERS DO MORE CIGERETTE SMOKING AND LYING THAN GUYS AT A BAR.HONESTLY THIS IS NOT THE KIND OF CAREER FOR A COLLEGE GRADUATE OR A FULL TIME PARENT
YOU MUST BE TOUGH AND HUMBLE BECAUSE ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE ENTER THIS FIELD IN BECOME DEPRESSED/STRESSED/OVERWORKED/AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON/MY SUGGESTION TO PEOPLE IS I TO GO FOR SOMETHING BETTER THAN FOOD SERVICE WORK BECAUSE THEY ARE OVERWORKED AND UNDERPAID WITH LIMITED OPPURTUNITIES...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

John in Spanish in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

Mind telling us why you feel this way?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chef Michelle

70 months ago

Honestly that is not true, in the food service industry you have to understand to educate yourself before going on the job. There are many opportunities in the food service industry including working in hotels as supervisors or in the corporate offices. Your career is not limited at all it all depends on your level or respect for yourself and your drive to succeed, money is not a limit in this industry. Mostly I can say that the foodservice industry is best for PROFESSIONALS. If you are a professional than you will understand that it takes God given talent and respect for food to achieve the success in the industry, if you are only working for the paycheck then you are going to be disappointed. Not saying that the pay is bad but even if you have high pay or pay you are happy with if you do not like the job then it will not make you feel better.
All in all, the Culinary industry is best for someone who has a passion for it, the hard work will only make it more challenging if this is why you choose my profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

David S in Naperville, Illinois

67 months ago

From my limited experience, BIG BROTHER D is correct is his assessment. Although I have a college degree and many years of experience in the business world, I recently took a job as a host to pay my bills until the economy improves. The GM immediately asked me to train to become a manager because of my "exceptional" customer service skills. I trained for a short time and decided to stay a host. After seeing everything that I would have to learn/do to manage the restaurant, it's just not worth it for the small pay increase. If my goal was a career in the food service industry, I would have pursued the management position. However, I'd rather go back to an office environment. It's been quite an education getting to know the employees at the restaurant. They work so hard for such little compensation. For example, a comparable cashier/bookkeeper in the corporate world would probably earn 1.5x or 2x what this restaurant pays. Likewise, a receptionist at an office probably earns 1.5x more than a host at a restaurant and usually gets benefits, as well. I enjoy the service aspect of working at the restaurant, but I can't wait to get the heck out of there as soon as a better job comes along!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Payne in Sanford, Florida

66 months ago

BIG BROTHER D in Hampton, Virginia said: HONESTLY THE FOOD INDUSTRY IS NOTHING MORE THAN THE GHETTO OF AMERICA/EVERYONE IS HIGHLY UNDERPAID IN MANAGERS DO MORE CIGERETTE SMOKING AND LYING THAN GUYS AT A BAR.HONESTLY THIS IS NOT THE KIND OF CAREER FOR A COLLEGE GRADUATE OR A FULL TIME PARENT
YOU MUST BE TOUGH AND HUMBLE BECAUSE ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE ENTER THIS FIELD IN BECOME DEPRESSED/STRESSED/OVERWORKED/AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON/MY SUGGESTION TO PEOPLE IS I TO GO FOR SOMETHING BETTER THAN FOOD SERVICE WORK BECAUSE THEY ARE OVERWORKED AND UNDERPAID WITH LIMITED OPPURTUNITIES...

You are so right in some ways, but I think it depends on what company/ chain you work for. I worked for 23 years in the business and was FINE until i got chewed up by the corperate machine because of the company I worked for. People must realize that if a company offers no benefits, or you have worked for so long and getting no satisfaction,no future is in sight, its time to move on --and quickly,,because burn out factor is bad in the business.
Being to dedicated is another factor, because once you get settled in a job and you think youve got it made, well then, your going nowhere. You must keep asking yourself, are you worth the crappy money your being paid, or you just another line/prep/server that thinks he/she has a really great job? There are a million companies out there, and saying you worked at a place for so long doesnt mean anything if you havent improved or added anything better to the job itself. Your just spinning your wheels going nowhere.
I had to get away from the business after working for this corperate "monster" that ,looking back on it, had lost its direction and now is on a downslide to closing up for good. I now feel, that with a less corperate structured company,I could feel great about cooking again. But is this my future after finally breaking away from the business,going back to it? And with this economy??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Utica, New York

57 months ago

WEll, I gotta say...I love the job itself (waitressing)...its the people that work there that upset me/stress me out.....The wrong employees are honored....Not the hard working employees, the lazy ones who come in, serve the customers & leave...While I, for example, come in - work my butt off waiting on tables, keeping things stocked, cleaning etc....
You know the employees I am talking about - they hardly ever do what they are supposed to, let alone above & beyond.
Not to mention the level of professionalism....there is NONE....Employees are allowed to speak to each other anyway they want...there is vurtually no respect for each other...But, for some reason, I am held accountable for my words/actions.
I am told this is a norm throughout the "restaurant" world...Is this true?
I really need help understanding & maybe some help coping...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

justmeinillinois in far northern burbia, Illinois

57 months ago

Having worked in that industry for 10 years(not anymore though)and as Me in Utica said,the wrong employees get honored.She is correct.
I have seen to many times where the person doing the least get's rewards which is totally wrong but watching and listening more to everyone early on i learned how to "play the click game",It is all a game of who sucks up to who and in turn that person gets more cudos,rewards,maybe more hours to work.You have to be able to suck up alot in the restraunt lines and as with most employment,it's all based on how well you kiss a**,you can't get anywhere just doing your job.You have to keep certain things to yourself,NOT complain about many things(complainers get less and or the boot),never knock co-workers even to your best co-worker friend,things have a nasty way to coming back at ya.
Coming in,doing your job and not doing some sort of a** kissing can really get you nowhere.Learning how to pick on co-workers as the others do is good and get's you into the mix better,yes...i hate doing that but if it keeps a job,customers are happy,boss is happy,co-wokers are happy then i did it even though i didn't like to much.I used to just come in,be poiltie/friendly but that alone won't get you invites to a party if ya know what i mean,being more in tune with how everyone acts then fitting in works wonders.
Stupid way of doing things...yes but if it works...don't fix it.
Keep YOUR eyes and ears well opened and see how the others are getting rewarded then follow what they do,start slowly.
Being accountable for your words/actions is almost like saying...be careful your not fitting in with us in my own wording.
With my newer job that i like alot i LEARNED that i can now rip/pick on many employees.customers and we all have fun at it and still get the job done.Listen to what they say,how they act and get involved in their chats be it movies,tv,etc.it works well,not the way i like doing things but...i'm happier now!(Wish i could email ya).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

justmeinillinois in far northern burbia, Illinois

57 months ago

Me again..lol.
Yes,it's a silly,stupid game of being as i call it..popular but if fitting in better works then try it if you like the job.
Listen to them talk about movies and maybe comment on it with them like...wow,did you see when that car flew threw the air or,that was cool special effects.I think you get the idea of what i'm getting at,i hope.
At almost any workplace,the wrong people get things,the hard loyal worker get's crap and part of that is due to the "system".
I was always the hard worker,doing the extra things but didn't get really noticed so i (as i said) watched,listened more and slowly added my comments then i was like the life of the party and now i have even more value to them by being part of the group,i'm NOT saying your not part of the group at all,it's just how each person works within a click.
Hard,loyal work is highly reguarded by me but that along doesn't get you anywhere anymore,it's a game a sorts.
Like doing an interview with the hr person,you have to do some sucking up to get in,or joking to make them laugh.Personally i hate any hr person and it's a total waste of company money since many i have met want someone that they like,not 100% if they can do the job perfectly.I tried doing a..."did you see the movie______",and then we hit it off and the chance of getting a job can got bigger because i got involved with that hr's thoughts on something else that we both had in common,a trick yes and it can work.
Most hr's just ask the most stupid questions that are so company generated and outdated it's funny/stupid.
Now i can rip on employees like...hey banana face can you...,or how's it goin' wheels(wheels a nickname for a skateboarder i made up but worked great!!)or sweeeet goin' "crash"(one for someone who dropped glass..lol).
Food industry can be a grind with low pay BUT why not try to have some fun at it and be happier.Corporate monsters don't even know you,only the numbers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Loui V in Columbus, Ohio

56 months ago

People talk about the high crime rate and what can be done about it. Hire ME. I have been out of prison for almost a year and I cant get a job.It isnt a matter of my being unskilled or not applying my self. I will gladly show you the 100+ apps I have put in in the last few months. I have not one but two degrees and I am a certified chef and I still cant get a job. You would think that jobs would be falling into my lap because people wouldnt want me to revert to criminal activities, but NO. I would like to have the chance to prove to any one the type of worker I am. I am not your usual X-offender. I want a job more than people want comfortable shoes.

shaqzam43 in Boca Raton, Florida

23 months ago

justmeinillinnois please stop talking. Lowering your standards to be like everyone at work (even as low as going around calling people idiotic names) is not right and its just selling your soul for money at the end of the day. Being like that just kills your individuality and then you become a mindless idiot like the rest of your co-workers. You wonder why 60% of the country is depressed and has mental disorders and its because of **** like this.

Theres good restaurants if your really want to be in that field, but if your just trying to get money to get by, you have to deal with a lot of BS. The restaurant biz is a back breaking nonsense of a job but its decent money for little work. They are mainly dead-end jobs, not really ones that you typically advance in unless you work for a top of the line place.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.