Getting a retail sales associate job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing retail sales associate work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Ward in Kalamazoo, Michigan

92 months ago

I work well with other people and would like to learn more about electronics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Ward in Kalamazoo, Michigan

92 months ago

I work well with others and would like to learn more about electronics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FRedlinWetworksEntertainment in Orange, California

66 months ago

Kevin Ward in Kalamazoo, Michigan said: I work well with other people and would like to learn more about electronics.

Kevin, Having worked in retail, both as an associate and as a manager, I can tell you that you are essentially trying to break into a sales position that does not have the traditional benefits of a sales position (I know that may sound like an oxymoron, but bare with me and I will explain).

In retail, you are expected as a part of your job description to maximize sales output while rarely if ever obtaining any substantial commissions. Michigan is also a difficult area to obtain quality positions in retail or sales because it is so far removed from the real players in the sales market (most of the best retail jobs can be found in California, Florida, New York & New Jersey...essentially any where that there is a port or extensive urban sprawl).

What I would suggest is to look at retail only as a stop-gap measure. Retail will provide you with invaluable experience with the public, problem solving in the face of irate clients/customers and teach you patience (if you are built for it). However, if you want to gain financial security and develop a skilled trade in the non-physical labor world, you are best served while working retail to purchase sales training books by the proven in the business. Zig Ziglar & Tony Robbins both have many offerings in this respect that will help you become successful and get you noticed by upper management. I recommend strongly that you start your reading with Zig Ziglar's "The Secrets of Closing The Sale". This book was my "bible" for many years and will teach you how to read your customer, find prospective clients & customers when they are otherwise not coming to you, and ensure that you learn what you need to know beyond the basic information about the products you are selling to increase your closing ratio dramatically.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.