Biggest challenge of being a safety manager

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Dave Bridgend in United Kingdom

67 months ago

I know safety being a safety manager is tough but what is your personal biggest challenge in being effective in your role? What keeps you awake at night mulling it over in your head!

Dave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ben Bailey in Cataula, Georgia

66 months ago

Bosses that don't get "it" Its not about good reports, bonuses or pats on the back...its about changing the culture of the workforce and savings life and limb. (jJust my two cents worth)

Ben

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jderego in Grass Valley, California

62 months ago

Ben Bailey in Cataula, Georgia said: Bosses that don't get "it" Its not about good reports, bonuses or pats on the back...its about changing the culture of the workforce and savings life and limb. (jJust my two cents worth)

Ben

Dittos to the apove. I find that no matter what is said at the all employee meetings about safety, the safety manager is the one who will usually end up carrying the torch. At the end of the day it always seems to be about production and you need to figure out how to function within that framework

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rach in Freeport, Trinidad and Tobago

61 months ago

i would like to get into safety management i would likt is any could tell me a little ab it what do u do as a safety manager what line of work u get into if it pay's well
my emails address is trinidougla2009@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Safety Pro. in Minneapolis, Minnesota

60 months ago

My biggest challenge is getting the "by-in" from upper management when it matters most. A safety culture is none existent until it is challenged by production needs, deadlines, budget and/or the ole, "the way we've always done it!"
The decision to "enforce" the right way is ever before you and unfortunately you will ultimately have to make a decision to do your job or go along to get along?

Ty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jtoole in Wilmington, Ohio

60 months ago

BAH! To be an EFFECTIVE Safety Manager you have to also be an accountant (to prove the cost-effectiveness of your programs), a lawyer (to wade through all the CFR's), and a coach (because you NEVER want to be the enforcer - that is what supervision is for!). Unfortunately, too many sqafety managers don't get it! You work for a business or agency that has a purpose - your policies HAVE to allow that purpose to continue unfettered. Nothing happend unless it has a positive effect on the bottom line / annual budget.
Drop the sob stories about saved lives/health/fingers/etc. Sell it by saving dollars!
Don't enforce the policies yourself. Point out to the line supervisors and management what the law and victims lawyers can do to them PERSONALLY if the don't enforce.
You have to play the chess game that is business management. When you are sucessful at "the game" then your policies have a chance to succeed. Successful safety policies make a Safety Manager sleep very well at night!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A in Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

jtoole in Wilmington, Ohio said: BAH! To be an EFFECTIVE Safety Manager you have to also be an accountant (to prove the cost-effectiveness of your programs), a lawyer (to wade through all the CFR's), and a coach (because you NEVER want to be the enforcer - that is what supervision is for!). Unfortunately, too many sqafety managers don't get it! You work for a business or agency that has a purpose - your policies HAVE to allow that purpose to continue unfettered. Nothing happend unless it has a positive effect on the bottom line / annual budget.
Drop the sob stories about saved lives/health/fingers/etc. Sell it by saving dollars!
Don't enforce the policies yourself. Point out to the line supervisors and management what the law and victims lawyers can do to them PERSONALLY if the don't enforce.
You have to play the chess game that is business management. When you are sucessful at "the game" then your policies have a chance to succeed. Successful safety policies make a Safety Manager sleep very well at night!

Totally agree, i work for a large production and sales company, and if you can not sell your ideas to the General Manager, you're not going to sell it to the floor or sales manager. A low level manager's goals are what their supervisor tells them, not what the safety manager thinks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

John B Good in Aurora, Illinois

54 months ago

Some great points here, specifically, the comments on costs effectiveness.

Does anyone have great informational web-sites for OSHA, ISO, Stats (Industry), or Certifications?

I have an opportunity for a position very close to home, and right up my alley in terms of management. I just graduated and have a B.S. in management. I'm excited about a position like this, while I've seen so many accidents that could have been avoided.

jjacks5704 in Dover, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

jderego in Grass Valley, California said: Dittos to the apove. I find that no matter what is said at the all employee meetings about safety, the safety manager is the one who will usually end up carrying the torch. At the end of the day it always seems to be about production and you need to figure out how to function within that framework

I must agree with you on that point, Project Managers, Plant Managers, do not view safety like a Safety Manager would, he concerned about reducing accidents or preveting them. Yes production is important audit are too, but the bottome line is accident prevention.

Mark in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

You can get certifications thru Click Safety, the N.A.S.P. National Association of Safety Professionals, and of course thru your local OSHA Education Center. Good Luck with your future endeavors in the Safety Field.

jjacks5704 in York, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

I have over 8 certifications thru NASP and I am still looking for work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

tinker in Bristow, Virginia

32 months ago

jjacks5704 in York, Pennsylvania said: I have over 8 certifications thru NASP and I am still looking for work?

NASP is not worth paper it is written on. Yes, I have a certificate from them. The test is a joke and industry knows it. Get your CSP it carries more weight

Julius in Satellite Provider

29 months ago

Safety Managers must be compentant motivators of workers in safe execution of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jtoole in Columbus, Indiana

29 months ago

No, Safety Managers are not in the typical employee's chain of command. Motivation is the job of Supervision. Enforcement is the job of Management. Legal Compliance is the job of the Executives. The job of the Safety Manager is to advise this chain of command.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.