MasTec Satellite Installer Job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Daily Time in Salt Lake City, Utah

88 months ago

Anybody work for MasTec as a DirectTV installer? I'm considering taking this job and would like to get an idea about pay. What would be a realistic expectation for 1st year? I have a few years experience with CAT5, COAX, punch block, testers, etc.. Also, I've built houses so I'm OK on a ladder and drilling through walls, plates, etc.. Have IT experience, so any technical stuff shouldn't overwhelm me. The downside is I'm 6'3" and currently 250lbs (no, i don't have beer gut) so I'm not great in small places. Anyhow, any advice you can give me would be mucho appreciated. Thanks fellas (ladies? hmmm, i don't think so....) Oh yeah, MasTec supplies everything (van, tools, work, etc.). This is not a subcontract arrangement. While I have you guys, is this a good stepping stone job to a better paying job and if so, what kind of job could you move to, i.e. trainer, QC, IT, and for what pay? For instance, does DirectTV allow for VoIP, internet, etc.? Thanks Again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (111) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Jayson in Warner Robins, Georgia

76 months ago

Looking to get back in to the Satellite game. Its been a few years and know there are many updates I need to learn, however I am a fast learner and was involved in satellites for over 5 years. If anyone knows of any jobs in the area let me know. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MASC in Albany, Georgia

76 months ago

accept the job at Mastec and they will certify you. Work for them full time and My company will sub contract you part time. Probally like 30 or 40 jobs a month at maybe 60/20/ per job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

klagmire in Fenton, Michigan

65 months ago

Im thinking of working the new direct tv promo their doing. they are selling alot of em. whats the typical install. the contactor im talking to, is like 60/10, I think thats below industry average. Ive seen on the other thread typically its 65/20. I think their trying to take advantage of me. I have'nt done telecommunications in 6 years back in the dish network hay day of 140 per 4 room install. still got the channel master and supplies. I only need to get the birdog for max peek. Just trying to see if i should tell em i need a better install rate. I mean with gas and supplies its like 200-250 a week in expenses. If their gonna nickel me out with a 10 dollar per xtra tv rape, i may just stay in auto tech. If I do 3. 3 tv a day jobs , thats 60 bucks they raped me for! thast my gas for the day and then some. Just seeing who pays what in se michigan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gary in El Paso, Texas

64 months ago

check out ksmeg contractors in el paso texas.they are about to start doing local direct tv installs.and need people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gustech Communications in Fort Mill, South Carolina

64 months ago

Check out Gustech Communications. They subcontract for Mastec. The busy season is coming and there is alot of opertunity to grow. They are located in FORT MILL SC (Charlotte NC) San Antonio TX, Orlando FL, Jacksonville FL, Fort Worth TX (Dallas) Savannah GA, and Tampa Fl. They ARE HIRING minimum 30 techs per office.. also they help with certifications and tools...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

TruthSayer in Eden, North Carolina

63 months ago

Daily Time in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Anybody work for MasTec as a DirectTV installer? I'm considering taking this job and would like to get an idea about pay. What would be a realistic expectation for 1st year? I have a few years experience with CAT5, COAX, punch block, testers, etc.. Also, I've built houses so I'm OK on a ladder and drilling through walls, plates, etc.. Have IT experience, so any technical stuff shouldn't overwhelm me. The downside is I'm 6'3" and currently 250lbs (no, i don't have beer gut) so I'm not great in small places. Anyhow, any advice you can give me would be mucho appreciated. Thanks fellas (ladies? hmmm, i don't think so....) Oh yeah, MasTec supplies everything (van, tools, work, etc.). This is not a subcontract arrangement. While I have you guys, is this a good stepping stone job to a better paying job and if so, what kind of job could you move to, i.e. trainer, QC, IT, and for what pay? For instance, does DirectTV allow for VoIP, internet, etc.? Thanks Again!

I saw a sign advertising to make 1000 a week doing installs for a sub company working for Mastec. Yeah you can make that kind of money if you want to work 16 to 18 hours a day. The work is never easy as with every install has it's own complications. Now Direct tv is demanding 45% of all installed receivers to have phone lines attached. Most homes have 75% of the receivers placed in rooms without phone jacks. This means you also have to install jacks to these rooms that you won't get paid anything extra for doing. Customers often say no to these installations, as the rooms and receivers are in children or teens rooms. If you can't keep a 45% phone rate, they stop routeing you and then your out job hunting again. It basically blackmailing you to keep a job that after expences are deducted and you work 60 to 90 hours a week you end up making 300 a week take home for. The techs that are making it work for them are far and few between.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LOL in Fort Mill, South Carolina

63 months ago

No matter what you do in life you need to work hard. Some people don't like that... You wouldn't have to work 16 hours a day if your a fast tech. Plus you can always ask your supervisor to only route you 3 jobs a day if you'd like. Or less it's your call. It's not 45% phone rate it's 40% and yes it can be difficult, but again, no jobs go without hard work.. at least not the ones that pay well. Anyhow your put on "probation" period if you cant get your rate up in 2 weeks. I heard DirecTV is about to start making available receivers with technology that hooks up to cell phones...

Many techs have been doing this for 20+ years, and making great money. Fact is some people aren't cut out to be an installer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Savannah, Georgia

62 months ago

LOL in Fort Mill, South Carolina said: No matter what you do in life you need to work hard. Some people don't like that... You wouldn't have to work 16 hours a day if your a fast tech. Plus you can always ask your supervisor to only route you 3 jobs a day if you'd like. Or less it's your call. It's not 45% phone rate it's 40% and yes it can be difficult, but again, no jobs go without hard work.. at least not the ones that pay well. Anyhow your put on "probation" period if you cant get your rate up in 2 weeks. I heard DirecTV is about to start making available receivers with technology that hooks up to cell phones...

Many techs have been doing this for 20+ years, and making great money. Fact is some people aren't cut out to be an installer.

I scratched and clawed last month and was up to 45% return rate. The last 2 days of the month, I got hammered with 4, 18x20, 4 receiver installs. The scrubs had no phones and no internet. I did those jobs anyway, thinking it was safe. I ended up with 39.64% and now I get whacked $3 for EVERY friggin receiver I installed last month.

So far this month I am at 50% return rate, and again worked my ass off for that 50%. Today I walked away from 2, 4-receiver jobs because they had no phones or internet, AND I explained to the customers why I was walking away.

With this job, you might not even get out of the warehouse before 8:30, but you MUST place yourself onsite at the first AM job by 8AM, even though you KNOW you won't be there until 9AM.

That in itself says a lot about this job. You start almost every day with a big fat lie, and then you are pushed to lie your ass off through the rest of the day.

That in itself says a lot about this job.

If you have no problem with being a compulsive liar, then you're the right man for this job.

I would trust a used car salesman before I trusted anything that came out of a tech's mouth when he's trying to tell me why my install can't be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

james in Bradenton, Florida

62 months ago

I applied to Mastec im out of the Florida area. I can't believe the negativity everywhere? I'm lost on what to do now. Because i would love to be in the field. But all of these comments. It makes me feel like it will be the worst experience in my life. Someone shed some light huh? Sick of this cup half empty garbage. IF this is how it is im not accepting the job. IF your new to this type of environment is it really this hard to succeed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Asheville, North Carolina

62 months ago

james in Bradenton, Florida said: I applied to Mastec im out of the Florida area. I can't believe the negativity everywhere? I'm lost on what to do now. Because i would love to be in the field. But all of these comments. It makes me feel like it will be the worst experience in my life. Someone shed some light huh? Sick of this cup half empty garbage. IF this is how it is im not accepting the job. IF your new to this type of environment is it really this hard to succeed?

I'll put it to you this way. It's a job, not a career. Go with this if you cannot find anything else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Asheville, North Carolina

62 months ago

This is a job, not a career. Go for it if there isn't anything else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Asheville, North Carolina

62 months ago

LOL in Fort Mill, South Carolina said: No matter what you do in life you need to work hard. Some people don't like that... You wouldn't have to work 16 hours a day if your a fast tech. Plus you can always ask your supervisor to only route you 3 jobs a day if you'd like. Or less it's your call. It's not 45% phone rate it's 40% and yes it can be difficult, but again, no jobs go without hard work.. at least not the ones that pay well. Anyhow your put on "probation" period if you cant get your rate up in 2 weeks. I heard DirecTV is about to start making available receivers with technology that hooks up to cell phones...

Many techs have been doing this for 20+ years, and making great money. Fact is some people aren't cut out to be an installer.

It's 45%. They just upped it because PPV carried their bottom line last quarter. So they squeeze us even harder. At the same pay rate, of course. I know of no market that consistently gets 45% return rate every month. At least, not for the last 12 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

The GLASS IS FULL :D in Fort Mill, South Carolina

62 months ago

No it's not hard to be successful. You just have to be committed to doing the job right the first time. That's all DirecTV is asking, for their product to be handled according to their standards. You can make GREAT money if you are commited to doing so!

Best Wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

SatGuy86

60 months ago

james in Bradenton, Florida said: I applied to Mastec im out of the Florida area. I can't believe the negativity everywhere? I'm lost on what to do now. Because i would love to be in the field. But all of these comments. It makes me feel like it will be the worst experience in my life. Someone shed some light huh? Sick of this cup half empty garbage. IF this is how it is im not accepting the job. IF your new to this type of environment is it really this hard to succeed?

I am a Mastec installer. I leave my house at 4:00 am only to get home close to midnight. I love the work, but all the childish games and poor organization makes it hard to clear $900.00 every two weeks (127hr). The routes are always screwed up and most of the work orders are wrong. You get no support from the field Supervisors. I am telling you, go somewhere else if you want to have a family life, or a life after work at all. My kids asked me, "Dad why do you work weeks and weeks before we get to see you". This is hard, but they know they can exploit us, because there is no other work out there in this economy. Run from this type of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Brooklyn, New York

60 months ago

how about New York ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Asheville, North Carolina

60 months ago

Try Craigslist to search cities and towns for Installers Needed. If you see what you want near where you want to live, send them an email. Their recruiter will contact you. Grill that recruiter. Ask for a pay scale. That's where the meat and potatoes are.

Ask about the matrix requirements, pay scale, fines, penalties, etc. Make that recruiter explain until you fully understand.

They love to gloss over the unsavory areas. Stop them and make them explain to your satisfaction.

Each DMA is different. Find a good one before you commit your time and resources.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Asheville, North Carolina

60 months ago

By the way, I am a contractor, not a MasTec employee. I feel sorry for those guys because of the heat they must face. I cannot take some dweeb standing over my shoulder and gunning me.

We get paid more per job, but we pay for everything. I prefer being a contractor over being an employee. You have much more freedom, and can come out better when it comes time to file taxes.

Plus, if your HSP screws you too much, you can give him the finger and go work for another HSP. Just don't piss off MasTec. You do that and you won't work anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ed in Winter Park, Florida

55 months ago

I am trying to become a supplier for maintenance and repairs for Direct TV vehicles(Mastec) in central florida. Can anyone tell me who to call who would be involved in the fleet maintence process for central florida? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TheTruth in Mcdonough, Georgia

54 months ago

SatGuy86 said: I am a Mastec installer. I leave my house at 4:00 am only to get home close to midnight. I love the work, but all the childish games and poor organization makes it hard to clear $900.00 every two weeks (127hr). The routes are always screwed up and most of the work orders are wrong. You get no support from the field Supervisors. I am telling you, go somewhere else if you want to have a family life, or a life after work at all. My kids asked me, "Dad why do you work weeks and weeks before we get to see you". This is hard, but they know they can exploit us, because there is no other work out there in this economy. Run from this type of work.
I'm going to make this short, what SatGuY86 is saying is nothing but the truth. There's no sugar coating this line of work and how you are treated as a installer, I have been in the business for over 12yrs with that being said for anyone going into this field after you have read this remeber you can never say you werent warned....i would say good luck but it wouldnt do any good! and for myself my last day in this business will be at the end of this month im letting my home go and going to start a new life without satellite...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mastec is a third world sweatshop in Clarkesville, Georgia

54 months ago

Working as a sub for mastec installing directv was one of the worst experiences ive ever had. Pay was 50/10 and those phonelines were no joke with 7 dollar charge backs for every reciever if you failed to meet you're 45 percent goal. for those who say they make alot of money, I say you are hacks doing garbage installs so you can do more jobs per day. People use magic jacks to ping phone lines on recievers and make the phone line quota, use existing connectors and old cabling to avoid installing when it is needed, use fake grounding lines that are secured to a piece of wood to hide not running a real ground wire for the system, install where there is insufficient line of sight etc... the list goes on. these people that make out like bandits will run for a while until they start getting massive charge backs then they quite and move on. the realistic expectation working for mastec or through mastec is 300/week 70 plus hours and a worn out vehicle after a year. Oh and when that vehicle breaks down you can't tell them not to route you while you repair it, they just dump the route on you anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

NYTech85 in Batavia, New York

53 months ago

mastec is a third world sweatshop in Clarkesville, Georgia said: Working as a sub for mastec installing directv was one of the worst experiences ive ever had. Pay was 50/10 and those phonelines were no joke with 7 dollar charge backs for every reciever if you failed to meet you're 45 percent goal. for those who say they make alot of money, I say you are hacks doing garbage installs so you can do more jobs per day. People use magic jacks to ping phone lines on recievers and make the phone line quota, use existing connectors and old cabling to avoid installing when it is needed, use fake grounding lines that are secured to a piece of wood to hide not running a real ground wire for the system, install where there is insufficient line of sight etc... the list goes on. these people that make out like bandits will run for a while until they start getting massive charge backs then they quite and move on. the realistic expectation working for mastec or through mastec is 300/week 70 plus hours and a worn out vehicle after a year. Oh and when that vehicle breaks down you can't tell them not to route you while you repair it, they just dump the route on you anyway.

i dont know about you i work for mastec up in new york and im an in house tech not a contractor and i have no issues with it. i make good money i have decent benefits and theres days i work till 7 and there are days like today where i was done by 4 it all depends on where you are i guess. they supply everything for you all you really have to do is go out and install. if you you cant hack long days then job is not for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mark Johnson in Woodbridge, Virginia

48 months ago

Just got excepted at mastec!!!!! Ready to start my training they said my first year I'm most likely to make 40,000 a year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

KmARINE0120 in Weaverville, North Carolina

46 months ago

ZTedster in Savannah, Georgia said: I scratched and clawed last month and was up to 45% return rate. The last 2 days of the month, I got hammered with 4, 18x20, 4 receiver installs. The scrubs had no phones and no internet. I did those jobs anyway, thinking it was safe. I ended up with 39.64% and now I get whacked $3 for EVERY friggin receiver I installed last month.

So far this month I am at 50% return rate, and again worked my ass off for that 50%. Today I walked away from 2, 4-receiver jobs because they had no phones or internet, AND I explained to the customers why I was walking away.

With this job, you might not even get out of the warehouse before 8:30, but you MUST place yourself onsite at the first AM job by 8AM, even though you KNOW you won't be there until 9AM.

That in itself says a lot about this job. You start almost every day with a big fat lie, and then you are pushed to lie your ass off through the rest of the day.

That in itself says a lot about this job.

If you have no problem with being a compulsive liar, then you're the right man for this job.

I would trust a used car salesman before I trusted anything that came out of a tech's mouth when he's trying to tell me why my install can't be done.

I do not work for Mastec however I have been a contractor in the industry and I am currently at a cable company. I have some bad news it is the same everywhere. This is not a 8-5 job and as you get better you make more if you half a$% your jobs then you probably are going to get charged back a lot. And there is no reason an install cannot be done when it comes to satellite,except some apartments, because if you have a reel of cable on your truck and a drill you should be good to put anything anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SarasotaKing in Sarasota, Florida

42 months ago

I work for Gustech for over a Year in Bradenton FL Office and this guys are a bunch of thief they take your money no mercy back charges every where and they sale the supplies at a crazy price , saty away from MASTECH GUSTECH they all are the same !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jk512 in Austin, Texas

42 months ago

I'm trying to get paid from gustech now and it seems like I'm going to get screwed on a paycheck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Savannah, Georgia

42 months ago

Gustech folded up shop here in Savannah. A lot of their guys came over to Barefoot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Savannah, Georgia

42 months ago

KmARINE0120 in Weaverville, North Carolina said: I do not work for Mastec however I have been a contractor in the industry and I am currently at a cable company. I have some bad news it is the same everywhere. This is not a 8-5 job and as you get better you make more if you half a$% your jobs then you probably are going to get charged back a lot. And there is no reason an install cannot be done when it comes to satellite,except some apartments, because if you have a reel of cable on your truck and a drill you should be good to put anything anywhere.

I don't work for Mastec either. I've been a contractor pretty much all my life; first in construction, until illegals wiped us out, and now in satellite, where they have not yet wiped us out. So working 12+ hours a day has never been a problem for me.I rarely get chargebacks. But when I wrote that post you were quoting, DTV demanded 40% connectivity on phone lines, or you got the snot fined out of you.

At the end of the month, if my numbers were good, and I knew if I did an install where they had no telco, I would tell them I could not do their job. When they would ask why I would tell them that since they do not have telco, if I do their install, I will end up with a minimum $300 fine because my connectivity would fall below 40% and DTV would fine me a minimum $300. Then I would leave.

DTV no longer has that dumbassed rule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Savannah, Georgia

42 months ago

I guess they were starting to run out of techs to do their work for them for reduced pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Truth in Venice, Florida

34 months ago

RUN !!! as far and fast away from MasTec as you can !!! Here is the stand-up truth.. There are FAR, FAR, FAR too many opportunities to make very good money installing DirecTV across the country, just not with ANY affiliation whatsoever with MasTec Advanced Technologies !!! You will not find a bigger scumbag outfit then these guys. They line you up for failure, then steal your money whether you beat the odds or not. If you are in the cable or satellite industry and looking to come to Florida, here are some very honest, but iron clad answers.. If you want to do DirecTV, find a good retailer, or stay in the Panhandle (Non MasTEC area)... Cable, the only one I would work for is a BrightHouse sub. Very common knowledge Comcast is bad, not MasTec, but why put up with nonsense you don't have to?? Ask anyone here. These are truthful and straight up answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Truth in Venice, Florida

34 months ago

Gustech Communications in Fort Mill, South Carolina said: Check out Gustech Communications . They subcontract for Mastec. The busy season is coming and there is alot of opertunity to grow. They are located in FORT MILL SC (Charlotte NC) San Antonio TX, Orlando FL, Jacksonville FL, Fort Worth TX (Dallas) Savannah GA, and Tampa Fl. They ARE HIRING minimum 30 techs per office.. also they help with certifications and tools...

Yeah, right, I have about 10 friends from Bradenton to North Port, FL that will tell you all about Gustech... Run from these guys.. MasTec Jr. lost their contract in the Tampa DMA, didn't pay any of the techs they stranded.... AGAIN - THE TRUTH !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jp in Texas

18 months ago

I contract for iron tech here in the waco Texas market. All our work is from mastec. For the people talking about phone connectivity rate, you know you can hook up a wifi deca and sync it to your Hotspot on your phone and get your callbacks. Then disconnect the Hotspot and deca when you are done. There's no cheat for tech connect because for that there's a second callback on the 7th day after install. But for phone lines there's only one callback. My phone line percent is always over 40 percent and I never hook up phone lines as most people don't have home phone service. It is a dirty business but there's ways around a lot of stuff. If anyone would like to me to send them a current tech scorecard from mastec reply with your email address and I'll send you the most current one I have. For the people complaining about phone lines when you get to a job that has no internet even if it's just irds hook up a wifi deca when you're receivers are activated sync it to your phones hot spot then request a callback. When you get your callback disconnect wifi deca and go. If you're hooking up a hr44 and they don't have Internet use the internal deca sync to your phones hot spot get callback then turn your hot spot off then leave. I clear 2500 on my checks every 2 weeks and make about 400 a week in custom money.i hardly ever work past 4 doing 3 to 4 installs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dani D in Miami, Florida

12 months ago

Hey I would like more info about how to work this job and really make money.My husband is starting with mastec as soon as tomorrow and I feel like he is a Lamb going into the lions den. We have/had high hopes for this job, but reading these comments have frightened me. If you are really making money or have figured out how to make the job smoother within their guidelines then please share.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Savannah, Georgia

12 months ago

A man cannot support a family working for Mastec. Period. Especially when first starting out. He will also be coming home very late every night.

It's that simple.

I'm back in construction again here in Jacksonville FL, and life has never been sweeter.

At least 40% of new Mastec employees quit after 3 weeks once they realize they are nothing but mules ready to be crumpled and tossed to the curb like a Dixie cup. That's why they constantly run ads for fresh meat and train 50 at a time because they know they will only get maybe ten who will last over a month or two, if they're lucky.

I'd rather freeze to death on a park bench before contracting with them again.

The mental stress they pu you under is incredible. I've talked with dozens and dozens of Mastec employees and only two actually like their job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Savannah, Georgia

12 months ago

My point is, if you're desperate for income right now then take the job. But never stop looking for a better one. They're out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Savannah, Georgia

12 months ago

jp in Texas said: I contract for iron tech here in the waco Texas market. All our work is from mastec. For the people talking about phone connectivity rate, you know you can hook up a wifi deca and sync it to your Hotspot on your phone and get your callbacks. Then disconnect the Hotspot and deca when you are done. There's no cheat for tech connect because for that there's a second callback on the 7th day after install. But for phone lines there's only one callback. My phone line percent is always over 40 percent and I never hook up phone lines as most people don't have home phone service. It is a dirty business but there's ways around a lot of stuff. If anyone would like to me to send them a current tech scorecard from mastec reply with your email address and I'll send you the most current one I have. For the people complaining about phone lines when you get to a job that has no internet even if it's just irds hook up a wifi deca when you're receivers are activated sync it to your phones hot spot then request a callback. When you get your callback disconnect wifi deca and go. If you're hooking up a hr44 and they don't have Internet use the internal deca sync to your phones hot spot get callback then turn your hot spot off then leave. I clear 2500 on my checks every 2 weeks and make about 400 a week in custom money.i hardly ever work past 4 doing 3 to 4 installs.

Were you clearing that much after paying for small parts, cable, fuel, taxes, maintenance?

I brought in a tad more than that, and always got paid directly for custom charges. Never ran them through Mastec, as they demanded we do. Mastec employees get fired for doing that.

Rarely does a Mastec employee get off before 4. They will work him as many hours as they feel like working him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

GT in TX

12 months ago

I have to agree with JP. I work for Gustech in Dallas TX (they also subcontract through MasTec). The hours / money are pretty good. If you can find a honest 1099 subcontracting company (like Gustech) this can be a pretty good job! Best Wishes to everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Savannah, Georgia

12 months ago

I agree. Gustech is an honest contractor. So is Barefoot communications. The owners of both companies are accessible and straightforward. Of the two I liked Barefoot better. I contracted with both of them.

JRB Communications is a crooked outfit. Makes you wait up to 7 weeks for your first pay. Guy ended up screwing me out of 2K after I left him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

11 months ago

GT in TX said: I have to agree with JP. I work for Gustech in Dallas TX (they also subcontract through MasTec). The hours / money are pretty good. If you can find a honest 1099 subcontracting company (like Gustech) this can be a pretty good job! Best Wishes to everyone

You will make barely minimum wage after accounting for number of hours per day and the money you have to pay for gas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RayLove! in Atlanta, Georgia

2 months ago

Can you send me that sheet please reidraychale@yahoo.com, and i a few questions to ask as well so please if you can email soon I will appreciate it

jp in Texas said: I contract for iron tech here in the waco Texas market. All our work is from mastec. For the people talking about phone connectivity rate, you know you can hook up a wifi deca and sync it to your Hotspot on your phone and get your callbacks. Then disconnect the Hotspot and deca when you are done. There's no cheat for tech connect because for that there's a second callback on the 7th day after install. But for phone lines there's only one callback. My phone line percent is always over 40 percent and I never hook up phone lines as most people don't have home phone service. It is a dirty business but there's ways around a lot of stuff. If anyone would like to me to send them a current tech scorecard from mastec reply with your email address and I'll send you the most current one I have. For the people complaining about phone lines when you get to a job that has no internet even if it's just irds hook up a wifi deca when you're receivers are activated sync it to your phones hot spot then request a callback. When you get your callback disconnect wifi deca and go. If you're hooking up a hr44 and they don't have Internet use the internal deca sync to your phones hot spot get callback then turn your hot spot off then leave. I clear 2500 on my checks every 2 weeks and make about 400 a week in custom money.i hardly ever work past 4 doing 3 to 4 installs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ZTedster in Savannah, Georgia

2 months ago

Ed in Winter Park, Florida said: I am trying to become a supplier for maintenance and repairs for Direct TV vehicles(Mastec) in central florida. Can anyone tell me who to call who would be involved in the fleet maintence process for central florida? Thanks.

They send their trucks around the corner to a local gas station for repairs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jp in Killeen, Texas

2 months ago

ZTedster in Savannah, Georgia said: Were you clearing that much after paying for small parts, cable , fuel, taxes, maintenance?

I brought in a tad more than that, and always got paid directly for custom charges. Never ran them through Mastec, as they demanded we do. Mastec employees get fired for doing that.

Rarely does a Mastec employee get off before 4. They will work him as many hours as they feel like working him.

Parts came out of my check. Gas is not that bad. I've been with my company for 4 years and I pretty much get routed around my home. The fort hood area is so busy I rarely leave a 10 min radius from my home. Different areas have different requirements. I would never work for MasTec but find a good subcontractor. Like I said before it is a dirty business but there are ways around most things. And for the people saying the techs making money are doing bad work, maybe there are fast techs. Also in my area of Fort hood most houses are new and press wired so we don't run too much cable here. I recommend techs learn the SPIG from directv. It will tell you what directv expects from an install not your company. The companies only make money when a tech completes a job so they will tell you to do whatever you need to get it done. But if you knew the actual requirements then you would be in a better position. Most techs think we wrap all lines for free. Customers only get 120 feet of free cable with an install. That's all cabling. You can charge if it goes over that. Techs think you can't use rg59. The directv SPIG says rg59 is acceptable, most of the companies will tell you it's not allowed. Read the SPIG and know what you're required to do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.