SECURITY GUARD LICENSE AND TRAINING IN NEW YORK

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 497)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

NYSecurityGuardLicensing in Ellenville, New York

45 months ago

shayc in Bronx, New York said: I did my 8hr and 16hr back in August 2007 but I never applied for my license and I've never worked security before and I lost my certificates.Do I need to re-do those courses, if not what can I do about re-obtaining my lost certificates? If I do need to re-do the course do you know of anywhere that offers it for cheap? thankyou

Yes, your certs expire after 1 year. You need to take the courses over. Here is a list of schools for the training.

www.newyorksecurityguardlicensing.com/content/sgpapprovedschls.pdf

www.newyorksecurityguardlicensing.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bj in Brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

The last comment was wrong. The certificates from the training courses DO NOT expire. You can still use your 1997 8-hour certificate to apply for the license today. If you want verification, go straight to the source and call DCJS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NYSecurityGuardLicensing in Ellenville, New York

45 months ago

DCJS is not the department you want to contact and certificates DO EXPIRE. NYS requires an annual in service training course. If you have not applied for a license within a year of receiving initial training then the training could have changed drastically, hence the reason they require the annual in service. The initial 8-hour may also change so the state expires the certs after 1 year.

You can call NYS Department of State, Division of Licensing (the governing body for the licensing) for further confirmation of this information. Their number is listed on top of the Security Guard Application Form www.dos.state.ny.us/forms/licensing/1206-f-l-a.pdf and on their website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

kutub in jamaica. new york in Brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

my security license date axpeyer . I need renewal form. can you help me.
my address kutub. 170-42 93rd ave jamaica ny-11433

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gee in Brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

I got confirmation from the Department of Licensing. They DO NOT EXPIRE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bj in Brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

There are two NYS government agencies involved with the process. The licensing process is the responsibility of the NYS Department of State, and the training is handled by the Security Guard Program of the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services. DCJS is the correct agency for questions regarding training and the certificates DO NOT expire. While I agree that it makes no sense to be able to use a certificate from a training class that may have been taken earlier, that is the way it is. You are NOT required to take an annual in-service training course before applying for the license if your pre-assignment class was taken more than a year earlier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TyeWilson109@gmail.com in New York, New York

44 months ago

Where can I go for my security license for cheap? I have my 8 &16 hr certificates, but my only problem is that I need my license so that I can start working ASAP.

AG AFFILIATES in Rocky Point, New York

44 months ago

sasha fink in Brooklyn, New York said: where do i go to get my license

HI DID YOU GET YOUR SECURITY CERTIFICATE YET? WE ARE A N.Y.S. 8HR SCHOOL IN BAYSHORE NY. SUFFOLK. LONG ISLAND WE GIVE IT TUESDAY, THURSDAY AND SUNDAYS. EMAIL. processnetwork@hotmail.com. we are from law enforcement. and have limited seating.
$60.00 gets 8hr and information on how to get a job we lead you there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Belowzero000 in Wading River, New York said: i just sent in my application to Albany with all the neccessary paper work and fees. i wanted to know how long it takes to get your license from Albany now that they got my papers?

IT CAN TAKE UP TO 6-8 WEEKS.
YOU CAN GET A HIGHER PAYING JOB IF YOU ALSO HAVE YOUR 16 HR COURSE. WE ARE FROM LAW ENFORCEMENT AND KEEP THE CLASS NICE And SMALL. WE GIVE IT FOR ^$60.00 AND LEAD YOU TO JOBS THAT MAY BE OPEN. YOU ALSO SHOULD BE ABLE TO WORK WITH YOUR FINGERPRINTS DONE AND A N.Y.S 8HR CERTIFICATE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TAKE OUR 16HR COURSE IN BAYSHORE NY MAIN STREET, WE WILL CHARGE ONLY ONE DAY. YOU WILL GET 2 FOR 1. ANYWAY YOU MAY VISIT OUR WEBSITE AGAFFILIATES.COM. OR CONTACT processnetwork@hotmail.com class is TUESDAY,THURSDAY,SUNDAY PICK WHAT MAY FIT YOU IF YOU CHOOSE TO DROP ON BY. WE ARE CERTIFIED BY N.Y.STATE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

anthony in Brooklyn, New York said: hey i got my 8hr class how long is it good for

1 YEAR. IF YOU WOULD LIKE THE 16 HOUR COURSE, YOU MAY CONTACT US AT processnetwork.com
we are law enforcement teachers who are certified by n.y state. we are in BAYSHORE NY SUFFOLK . WE CAN HELP YOU WITH ALOT OF INFORMATION AND GUIDE YOU. WE CAHRGE 1 DAY $60.00 AND YOU GET 2 DAYS OF TRAINING. WE ARE AT WWW.AGAFFILIATES.COM.

bj

44 months ago

The 8-hour pre-assignment certificate does NOT expire. Call the security guard program in Albany if there is any question about this statement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

SURE YOU NEED TO RENEW. ALSO A CLASS 8HR EVERY YEAR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Looking for a New Job in Brooklyn, New York

43 months ago

Hi, I'm interested into getting into this field however, I need to know where I can go to get my 8 and 16 hour certifications. Does it cost alot? Also, how soon after I get certified can I get a job? Any help will be greatful!!!

Peter Da Gr8t aka (TheTRUTHx1000) in Brooklyn, New York

43 months ago

Hello (Looking for a New Job)
There is a company called bluesteels ecurity that is located at 397 Bridge St 2nd Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201. They are a very good company with very reasonable pricing.

They do not try to rip you off like most of the other companies. They are straight forward and let you know up front that they are a school and nothing more and their instructors are very good.

I used them and I am in no way affiliated with them. You can check my other posts on this thread to see.
I just found a needle in the haystack and wanted to pass on the info; especially since you apparently live in Brooklyn and they are located downtown. You can get their full pricing and other info at bluesteelsecurity. net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

processnetwork@hotmail.com in Rocky Point, New York

43 months ago

LOOK AT WWW.AGAFFILIATES.COM GREAT COMPANY I WENT THERE

jesus rosario in Bronx, New York

43 months ago

I have a drivers learner permit and im getting my GED in two weeks. Where can I take the 24 hour training course?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AGAFFILIATES in Rocky Point, New York

43 months ago

WWW.AGAFFILIATES.COM GREAT COMPANY

BigALB in Lindenhurst, New York

43 months ago

hollis homeboy in Woodhaven, New York said: if anyone wants to work as a security guard why not be a correction officer. for an essentially non-skilled job the pay is good. the city provides training and pays you to learn. don't give these agency parasites your hard earned money! yes, you have to pay for a good job - ONE DOLLAR FOR THE CHIEF NEWSPAPER AND ABOUT 60 BUCKS TO FILE FOR THE TEST! set your goals a little higher in life and maybe you can get somewhere!

Great paying job for sure, but not everyone wants to work in a jail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

bj said: The 8-hour pre-assignment certificate does NOT expire. Call the security guard program in Albany if there is any question about this statement.

According to 1 or 2 others on here it appears to be 1 year. Makes sense because training courses are updated from time to time. Rules always change too, and maybe it used to be a year? In any case if you find yourself in this predicament you should always contact the oversight authority.

43 months ago

BigALB in Lindenhurst, New York said: Great paying job for sure, but not everyone wants to work in a jail.

For those wanting to go into this field you don't need to spend money on the Chief Newspaper. You can find the city's upcoming exams right here for free . . . www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employment/examschedule.shtml

bj

43 months ago

It is interesting that there are so many varying opinions over whether the 8-hour pre-assignment certificate expires. I run a school and I know that the certificates do not expire. I don't know where people are coming up with the "one year expiration date". I wish I was wrong because very selfishly I would like to be able to tell people who call me that they have to take the course again if their certificate is more than one year old. I agree totally with a previous post - don't take my word, or the word of anyone on this forum. Call the people in Albany that run this program and they will give you the answer.

43 months ago

Turns out that you are absolutely right. The 8 & 16 hour certificates do not expire according to the SGP at the NYS DCJS when I called them out of curiosity today. There are a lot of well meaning people on this forum, but one thing that everyone has to remember is that when it comes to licensing it is always best to check directly with the source. Even when somebody thinks they knows" that something is a "fact" a law, a rule or a regulation may have changed things around since they last checked. This is especially true with an esoteric question like this one where the answer cannot be found directly online no matter how hard you search the official site.

Missmocha in Norristown, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

mjroberson@optimum.net in Brooklyn, New York said: Is there any location in the City area that i can walk in and get a Security guard License application? Or, do I have to attend the 8 Hour course and that begins the Application process? Thank You.

If u did ur 8 n 16 hour u can go to nys lincensing website n download the application

43 months ago

JASON in Mount Vernon, New York said: i would like to do work security that is 19 and up i have my 8 and 16 hour already which company pays good. My email is MDocjay@aol.com

U can try securitas, allied burton or wackenhut

43 months ago

lawrence in New York, New York said: i just did my finger printing and sent out the info to obtain my license.im going out in a few days to look for a security job.can i still find a job even if i did not recieve my license or unique ID number?
thanks in advance

Hun dont even do that if u go and try to find a job with no lincense u will not get hired without that lincensed u cant get employed n most likely they will ask u to see ur lincense n u dont wanna do that especially if ur not lincensed

43 months ago

Belowzero000 in Wading River, New York said: i just sent in my application to Albany with all the neccessary paper work and fees. i wanted to know how long it takes to get your license from Albany now that they got my papers?

Most likely 2 months the most

nyguardtraining

43 months ago

Missmocha in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: Most likely 2 months the most

If there are no problems with your application there is an approximate 4 week turnaround.

johnny rivera in brooklyn, New York

43 months ago

im a 22 year old male with a felony, will this reflect on me getting my license? by me paying for my 8-16 hour class is it guna be a waste of money,will the state deny my license? will i need my g.e.d and high school diploma?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nyguardtraining

43 months ago

johnny rivera in brooklyn, New York said: im a 22 year old male with a felony, will this reflect on me getting my license? by me paying for my 8-16 hour class is it guna be a waste of money,will the state deny my license? will i need my g.e.d and high school diploma?

You don't need a G.E.D. but in most cases the felony is a problem with this type of license as opposed to other types. You can call the NYS Deptartment of State/Division of Licensing Services at to be sure. They are the only ones who can make that decision because they issue the licenses.

Jacob V in Brooklyn, New York

43 months ago

Missmocha in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: U can try securitas, allied burton or wackenhut

these companys are good but they will only hire you if you have a NYSSID first plus a Fire gaurd issued by the NYFD only they will not take any others

43 months ago

Missmocha in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: Most likely 2 months the most

I got mine with-in a month

43 months ago

Missmocha in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: Hun dont even do that if u go and try to find a job with no lincense u will not get hired without that lincensed u cant get employed n most likely they will ask u to see ur lincense n u dont wanna do that especially if ur not lincensed

that is a lie i went and got a job 2 days after i got mine. Most places will not hire you right away without one but with the way things are now most of those company's are also the ones who will train you if you don't have your 8 16 or license try going down to work force one they have offices all over NYC in all 5 points

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Kissimmee, Florida

43 months ago

hey good morning guys, my name is mike. i live in FL and I am Currently a FL State Correctional Officer. I am 22 years old and I'm currently going through a custody case in NY and I plan on moving to NY in the next month. Can i Use my fingerprints from here or is that something i would need to re-do in NY. I did get them electronically. would i get hired fast or is it a long process like corrections (6 months). any information is greatly appreciated

43 months ago

mike in Kissimmee, Florida said: hey good morning guys, my name is mike. i live in FL and I am Currently a FL State Correctional Officer. I am 22 years old and I'm currently going through a custody case in NY and I plan on moving to NY in the next month. Can i Use my fingerprints from here or is that something i would need to re-do in NY. I did get them electronically. would i get hired fast or is it a long process like corrections (6 months). any information is greatly appreciated

NY is a whole different world then any other state. you can transfer to another state and work security using a NYSSID and uptain work in that state but you can't do it the other way around.

Santy Clause in New York, New York

43 months ago

Does anybody know where can I apply for security jobs? I already got the requirements for everything. 8 and 16 and my security licence. I need help at finding a security job. PLZ help!

Peter Da Gr8t in Brooklyn, New York

43 months ago

I moved backed to NY from VA where I also did corrections and security. I had all of my licensing including tactical firearms and CCW.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news when I tell you, you're going to have to start from scratch when you get up here. When I arrived I applied for several high grade security jobs and was laughed at when I told them what credentials I had including my security clearance.

You are not going to find much help other than this website and the official NYS website so beware of what I refer to as the GyPsY security companies. Those are the ones that pretend to be security companies but are nothing more than security training schools (if that much!) that severely over charge you for your licensing SO BE CAREFUL when choosing a security school for your licensing. Your best bet is to start at this site criminaljustice.state.ny.us/ops/sgtraining/index.htm

Although I didn't get ripped off, a lot of other ppl did as you can tell by reading some of the posts. Also I don't know how professional the security LEO atmosphere is in FL but it was a culture shock coming back to NY from VA so I figure i'd give you a heads up. If you are in the Bklyn NY area and need info on a good security school let me know. Hope this helps and good luck with the custody case.

43 months ago

mjroberson@optimum.net in Brooklyn, New York said: Is there any location in the City area that i can walk in and get a Security guard License application? Or, do I have to attend the 8 Hour course and that begins the Application process? Thank You.

www.bluesteelsecurity.net/courses.php

NYS Security Guard License
The license application package can be completed during the 8-hour class. New york state requirements are:

An 8-hour pre-assignment training certificate.
A department of motor vehicle identification number. This i.D. Number appears above the photo on all NYS driver licenses, NYS learner permits and nys non-driver identification cards.
The security guard application fee is $142.00. This fee is made payable to NYS Dept Of State in one post office money order. Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.
The package to be mailed will contain a copy of your 8-hour certificate, your application, two completed fingerprint cards (NYS & FBI) and follow-up information for your records. We suggest using priortiy mail ($4.05) with delivery confirmation (.50), a total of $4.55. Priority mail guarantees your application will be received in Albany within three business days.

A security guard cannot work with an expired license.

bj

43 months ago

The previous post is incorrect. The traditional rolled ink fingerprint cards are no longer accepted. Since 1/1/10 NYS requires that the fingerprints be taken electronically at a site operated by their vendor, L1 Enrollment Services. The fingerprint fee of $105.75 is paid at the fingerprinting site. The following items must be sent to the NYS Dept. of State for the license.

-completed application (can be printed from Dept, of State web site)
-8 hour Pre-Assignment Class certificate
-$36.00 money order to NYS Dept, of State (application fee)
-Receipt received at the fingerprinting site.

clpatrol

43 months ago

Ospina@InterProInc. in New York, New York said: nyinterproinc.vzwebsites.com/

Nice web site and nice try, but too bad this is really just a come on from another nyc sec. guard school promising jobs that are NOT REAL & only trying to sell expensive training to unsuspecting people looking for work! They should just say WHO they are, WHAT they are offering, and HOW much they are charging like the honest schools out there do! Thumbs down to this phony!

43 months ago

bj said: The previous post is incorrect. The traditional rolled ink fingerprint cards are no longer accepted. Since 1/1/10 NYS requires that the fingerprints be taken electronically at a site operated by their vendor, L1 Enrollment Services. The fingerprint fee of $105.75 is paid at the fingerprinting site. The following items must be sent to the NYS Dept. of State for the license.

-completed application (can be printed from Dept, of State web site)
-8 hour Pre-Assignment Class certificate
-$36.00 money order to NYS Dept, of State (application fee)
-Receipt received at the fingerprinting site.

False i just went and got a rolled ink fingerprint card card done yesterday. they do have the IR finger printing now but MOST security companys cant affored the high cost for them so they remain using the inked printing

43 months ago

BJ penn in New York, New York said: Does anybody know of other any security guard companies I can apply too? I wana work right now! Ive applyed to dozens of security jobs and still no call. Will the employer look at my resume and call me bck or email me? ive waited for 3 days. plz anwser back!!

try Honor Gaurd 225 Broadway suite c8 new york ny. its two blocks away from the WTC site

43 months ago

Jacob V in Brooklyn, New York said: False i just went and got a rolled ink fingerprint card card done yesterday. they do have the IR finger printing now but MOST security companys cant affored the high cost for them so they remain using the inked printing

if your not applying at a security company and just want to get your NYSSID then yes you need to go down and pay the HIGH price of a IR printing

juniorlongford in Bronx, New York

43 months ago

I have a license but I lost it.how can I go about getting a new one.

nyguardtraining

43 months ago

mike in Kissimmee, Florida said: hey good morning guys, my name is mike. i live in FL and I am Currently a FL State Correctional Officer. I am 22 years old and I'm currently going through a custody case in NY and I plan on moving to NY in the next month. Can i Use my fingerprints from here or is that something i would need to re-do in NY. I did get them electronically. would i get hired fast or is it a long process like corrections (6 months). any information is greatly appreciated

Most probably you will need to, but to be sure you will have to check with the NYS Dept. of State Division of Licensing Services in Albany. They are the agency that has oversight over all licensing issues.

nyguardtraining

43 months ago

juniorlongford in Bronx, New York said: I have a license but I lost it.how can I go about getting a new one.

You will need to contact the NYS Department of State Division of Licensing Services. You may also find the appropriate forms on their web site here . . . www.dos.state.ny.us/licensing/securityguard/sguard.html

nyguardtraining

43 months ago

nyguardtraining said: Most probably you will need to, but to be sure you will have to check with the NYS Dept. of State Division of Licensing Services in Albany. They are the agency that has oversight over all licensing issues.

You can find there web site here *www.dos.state.ny.us/licensing/securityguard/sguard.html*

grzbear

43 months ago

Jacob V in Brooklyn, New York said: False i just went and got a rolled ink fingerprint card card done yesterday. they do have the IR finger printing now but MOST security companys cant affored the high cost for them so they remain using the inked printing

Very true! There is a loophole in the law that still allows for these rolled ink cards to be sent in. It was designed for those who are too far of a distance from a local franchisee of the authorized electronic fingerprint vendor (L1 Enrollment Services) or unable to get there for some reason (like those who live in rural areas, no car, etc.). In NYC & LI there are quite a LOT of locations for the vendor so this should not be a problem.

Anyone offering to print you the old fashioned way is doing you a BIG disservice for two reasons:

1. Your cards will no longer be accepted by the NYS Department of Criminal Justice Services (different agency from the Department of State) for the processing of background checks because there were too many mistakes with rolled print cards, and they take longer to processs. Therefore, the Department of State now must send your rolled ink print cards out of state to L1 Enrollment Services to be scanned and this will definitely cause a delay in the processing of your license application as you may imagine (extra processing time, mailing time, etc.).

Your license cannot be issued until your background check is complete through fingerprint identification, and of course if there are any mistakes on your rolled ink cards, the prints will need to be done over again causing and even further delay!

2. You will still have to pay the L1 Enrollment Services fee and save nothing. If you check the official NYS Department of State web site you will see that you will absolutely have to send them $105.75 (currently): $11.50 of that goes to L1 Enrollment Services no matter what.

Those with doubts or questions should contact the above OFFICIAL state agencies directly.

timmford@ in Plainview, New York

43 months ago

can anybody tell is the school bluesteelsecurity good? is anyone have trained at them and get a job?
thanks.

Peter Da Gr8t in Brooklyn, New York

43 months ago

timmford@ in Plainview, New York said: can anybody tell is the school bluesteelsecurity good? is anyone have trained at them and get a job?
thanks.

Bluesteelsecurity is an excellent school Timmford. I went there and they are very professional IMO.
However if you're coming from plainview you might want to look at schools closer to you. I do highly suggest you do some extensive research before you give any one company money.

ALWAYS REMEMBER IF THEY ARE A SCHOOL THEY WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS TELLING YOU THAT THEY ARE AND NOTHING MORE!
WHILE NOT BEING DISMISSIVE YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BE WARY OF SCHOOLS/PLACEMENT COMPANIES THAT CHARGE A LOT FOR LICENSING!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Randolph marks in Schenectady, New York

43 months ago

CARLOS124 in New York, New York said: To get your fingerprints this may be helpful to others.

One Police Plaza
near city hall, New York, NY
You will need a money order in the amount of $ 18.00 ,drivers liscene,and passport.

do i have to be a citizen

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.