Breaking into the Coorporate Security Manager positions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Dave De Los Santos in San Antonio, Texas

73 months ago

I'm a retired Air Force Master Sergeant with over 20 years in Security Forces or for the lay man, Military Police. I have been trained on Alarm systems/CCTV, Physical, Resource Protection and Antiterrorism/Force Protection, to include Law Enforcement alarm response, apprehension, evidence collection and Interview/Interrogations.

I applied for a Security Manager position but was told I wasn't qualified, uhhh okay, so besides all the above, what else do I need to do to be hired as a Coorporate Security Manager?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Roderick Allen in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

73 months ago

Dave De Los Santos in San Antonio, Texas said: I'm a retired Air Force Master Sergeant with over 20 years in Security Forces or for the lay man, Military Police. I have been trained on Alarm systems/CCTV, Physical, Resource Protection and Antiterrorism/Force Protection, to include Law Enforcement alarm response, apprehension, evidence collection and Interview/Interrogations.

I applied for a Security Manager position but was told I wasn't qualified, uhhh okay, so besides all the above, what else do I need to do to be hired as a Coorporate Security Manager?

THATS NOT WHAT THEY WANTED TO TELL YOU. THEY WANTED TO SUGGEST THAT YOU WERE TO EXPERIENCE, FOR WHAT THEY WERE HIRING FOR.. THIS IS JOB SECURITY FOR THEM.

Scott Montgomery in Garland, Texas

73 months ago

Dave - good luck! i to am a Ret (1990) AF SkyCop - go laid off two years ago and I am either over qualified or something because I have been out of work for two year now. I have interviewed for many positions, experian, Tenet, EDS, Raytheon, Kendal Jackson, International Harvester, 6th floor museum, Bass Pro, VortexAV, Lockheed, L3, to name only a few...
Long story short 17 years ago when i got out of the Air Force, I wished I would have prusued my CISSP information security certification. www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Do that unless you want to start out as a guard and work your way up.
Scott
469-644-3493

Dave De Los Santos in San Antonio, Texas said: I'm a retired Air Force Master Sergeant with over 20 years in Security Forces or for the lay man, Military Police. I have been trained on Alarm systems/CCTV, Physical, Resource Protection and Antiterrorism/Force Protection, to include Law Enforcement alarm response, apprehension, evidence collection and Interview/Interrogations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave De Los Santos in San Antonio, Texas

73 months ago

That's what I was lookling for. I knew there was a corporate security certification that I needed to have to break into the private sector. Thanks, I'll work on that.

Dave

Scott Montgomery in Garland, Texas

73 months ago

good luck! you can also try www.perotsystems.com/careers/default and select military recruiting on the left side.
sm

SM in Derwood, Maryland

71 months ago

Hi Dave,

I don't know if you would be willing to relocate or not but there are lots of opportunities in the DC metro area.

george9448 in Hempstead, New York

69 months ago

Many times they want you to have a BA-no college, no job!

sir bruceirvine in Johannesburg, South Africa

58 months ago

dear sir in morden day bussines security, security qaulifications that are needed will be an advanced diploma in security mgt /btec dgree in security mgt,bcom risk mgt.plus the relevant expertise.well previously b4 these qaulifications emerged most people in the army were given prefrencwe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yaxley in Surrey, British Columbia

52 months ago

It really depends on the security company of which your applying to.

Most bigger companies are more likely to hire from the ranks below, like the supervisor because they have information about the site already, and it's cheaper to give someone an extra dollar for the effort being done as apposed to hiring someone who has a BA/Diploma, and is expecting the bigger salary.

Most smaller companies don't really have sites where a security manager is needed, so to get a position as a site manager just isn't going to be available.

THE TRICK! to get into the position of a Site Manager, you need to explore your location for any major new development. Malls = YES! Apartments = NO! Just think to of where you would go to expect to see an operation where there will be more then 3 guards on duty, during daylight hours. WHY? Because if there is any significant loss of life, thief, assault, ect ect, most owners of these operations wont want to speak to the average guard. In addition new development, means everyone is looking for direction, and all you have to do is point them how to get there. Sadly, most these positions are low wage, ($14/hr-$19/hr or salary equivalent) but it's better then the basic guard! anywho, any other questions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.