Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing security manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Stanley B. Grant in Dallas, Texas

89 months ago

I started working with state corrections in Georgia. I worked in Special Intelligence and Prisoner Transportation. From there I worked as a Probation Survaillance Officer, with the Savannah Probation Office. I have been with the Federal Bureau of Prisons. I am currently a correctional supervisor "Lieutenant" in Florida. I have supervised a total of 300+ staff, 1,000+ inmates within a low, medium, and high level security United States Penitentiary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

george9448 in Hempstead, New York

69 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing security manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Many people who have gone into the private security business had prior backgrounds in law enforcement.That helps in the beginning, as many companies don't pay that well, unless you have that experience.To get into management, from what i have seen, they all want you to have a BA in a related field.Also, they want prior supervisory experience which I as a correction officer do not have.Any kind of certifications you can add to your resume helps-so now, not only do I have a BA, but also a certificate in security management, and a certificate in executive protection.every little bit helps.Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mulliganffc in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing security manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

I started out as a security officer 10 years ago an took on extra responsibilities when ever I got the chance. As I moved up I continued to educate myself though school and networking with other security managers. About 4 years ago I choose to make sure every job I took was a step above where I was leaving. The last step being a security director from an asst. manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.