Getting a social services director job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

How did you get your start doing social services director work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Dayton, Ohio

83 months ago

I have been a social worker asst for about 2.5 years in a gerontolgy facility and I don't understand why I can not be hired as a director someone always get hired in front of me and I don't understand why help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandi in Martinsville, Virginia

74 months ago

Cynthia in Dayton, Ohio said: I have been a social worker asst for about 2.5 years in a gerontolgy facility and I don't understand why I can not be hired as a director someone always get hired in front of me and I don't understand why help

Ms. Cynthia,

Have you thought about speaking with your supervisor regarding some feedback as to how well you are currently doing on the job? Has your current supervisor provided you with any tips on what you can do to increase your ability to obtain a director's position? What other experience have you had? Maybe possibly taking that experience and expounding on that will increase your chances of getting a better position. I hope this helps some!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Arlington, Texas

74 months ago

You might also check to see if the jobs you are applying for require a particular accreditation or licensure. I know that in TX you have to be licensed as a social worker for a certain number of patients in a facility. You might also check with the local state agency to determine what the qualifications are for nursing home social workers.

cynthia in Dayton, Ohio

74 months ago

In Ohio you are are required to have a license to work in a nursing home or long term care facility. I do have the licensure. I know I have gone to a minimum of 50 job interviews. I have had know luck at all. Many times I seriously regret even becoming a social worker. Someone else is always picked over me.

Stephanie in Arlington, Texas

74 months ago

You might also ask for the last interview available. Statistically 90% of the last people interviewed get the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Cincinnati, Ohio

74 months ago

Stephanie in Arlington, Texas said: You might also ask for the last interview available. Statistically 90% of the last people interviewed get the job.

I like that idea stephanie, never thought about that I will try that.

Cynthia in Cincinnati, Ohio

74 months ago

Stephanie in Arlington, Texas said: You might also ask for the last interview available. Statistically 90% of the last people interviewed get the job.

Where did you come up with those stats? I have heard that the first person is usually not considered, but I also was in the mindset that regardless of when you interview if you are able to leave a lasting impression on a team of interviewers then you can possibly land the job.

Robin in Reno, Nevada

60 months ago

All JCAHO accredited facilities require the Director of Social Services to have an MSW...many require an LCSW. If you have neither, suggest you go back to school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Citrus Heights, California

51 months ago

cynthia in Dayton, Ohio said: In Ohio you are are required to have a license to work in a nursing home or long term care facility. I do have the licensure. I know I have gone to a minimum of 50 job interviews. I have had know luck at all. Many times I seriously regret even becoming a social worker. Someone else is always picked over me.

I agree with Robin. Advanced degrees are usually required as well as the ability to properly spell. "Know" luck will not really be a factor in these decisions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

olaxben

42 months ago

If you have only 2.5 years of experience and a bachelor degree, you will not qualify. You will need to be more experienced in administration at a lower level(supervisor for example) and at least be licensed at the Master Degree level in Social Work or the equivalent.

The rest is office politics and your ability to sale yourself.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.