Career Transition

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

AJ in Hamler, Ohio

29 months ago

I recently left my job at a non-profit as a outpatient case worker. I've worked in this field for only a short time- approx 2 years. I'm an LSW/BSW only. I believe I burned myself out on the field, long hours, too much paperwork, becoming emotionally attached to clients and struggling with not taking their problems home with me. When I started college I considered going into Criminal Justice but chose SW instead to pursue alcohol/drug counseling (I did that for a short time and grew tired of it quickly). I'm considering pursuing and MBA with a Criminal Justice focus and seeking a new career, possibly in probation. I'm concered however that I may be trading one field for another that is too similar as to not lead to the same issues that made me leave social work. I'm seeking advice from anyone who has experience in transitioning from social work to criminal justice. What were the similarities, differences, difficulties, and how did you feel about your decision? Any helpful advice would be apperciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.