Conservatism in Social Work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

qrm06 in Tallahassee, Florida

35 months ago

I know there is another thread on this topic but I wanted to update and get the topic started again! I started a yahoo group on Conservatism in Social Work and I think it would be a good place for like minded individuals to discuss various aspects of Social Work. People should not just accept the normal ideal of the profession if they disagree with it. We are supposed to advocate for others and if we want to do it effectively we should be able to advocate for ourselves. I am still a student and talk to many people about this issue and get mixed reactions. I am made to feel that because I have different ideals I WILL NOT be an adequate professional unless I change. I ask these people to tell me why that will be and they say you only care about the rich. My main goal is to dispel some of these myths and discuss the differences openly. Please comment and give me feed back, I am always open to critique.
And if you are interested, Please join the group and let me know what you think. The website is:
health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ConservatismInSocialWork/]ConservatismInSocialWork : Conservatism In Social Work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

qrm06 in Tallahassee, Florida

33 months ago

does anyone have any comments about this topic?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tripplesix in Washington, District of Columbia

32 months ago

qrm06 in Tallahassee, Florida said: does anyone have any comments about this topic?

Hi qrm06.
i would like to comment. but aside from stating "conservatism in social work" i'm not sure what your opinion is. what exactly are your feelings. from the way you ended it, i may not disagree with you but i'm totally up for a discussion. i don't have to agree to respect your opinions. What are your opinions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Whoops,
I clicked on your link real quick.
It looks like you are looking for like minded individuals.
My bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

qrm06 in Fort Myers, Florida

32 months ago

Hey tripplesix,
I should change the "like minded individuals" on the page, I want the group to facilitate discussion on the topic of consertative ideologies in social work practice, research, and education.
I wouldnt be talking about this except the fact that one of my teachers criticized me infront of my peers for having views that opposed her. She basicallly said that we should keep giving things to people when they need help instead of helping obtain the said things on their own. A little assistance is "alright" but over and over again is out of control. We should lessen the federal governments role in the welfare system but our politicans are too scared to make any drastic changes to it. Give more power to the states and local governments and have the federal government do what the Constitution allows you to do.
I like the quote "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach the man to fish, feed him for a lifetime" We constantly give fish away and are running out, something needs to be changed because the current way of doing things is essentially a disservice to our clinets and peers.
(Sorry if there are spelling mistakes, I just woke up)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Here is my rant:
Well. I don't consider myself a conservative SW but i definitely hold some strong views about the various social services in this country; and sometimes I may come off mean, but I mean what I say and I say what I feel. That being said, I totally understand that the help is needed out here. I see it everyday. But what I also see everyday is people with the same ol' same ol' problems on a monthly/consistent basis. I see people who can't wait for 12 months to be up so they can go back to the bank of social services to get more bills paid. I can only blame them some of the time. But this system is set up horribly and all it has done is keep people in the place they are in. Adults are very different to work with because they have already been molded, so you can't just tell them to do this and do that. You can mandate it, but if so, are they really getting something out of what you want them to do. There has to be some accountability and responsibility on their part. But there also needs to be more than just the band-aid solution. What are we doing to make them GET IT? What are we doing to help them THINK differently? Where are the case managers to work long term? I'll tell you where they are.... looking for jobs. There is not enough funding for enough workers to work on the long term solutions. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why someone should be receiving Section 8/voucher/whatever your county calls it housing forever. Of course, the waiting lists can never open!! Of course people are sitting on those lists for or waiting to get on the list for 8 to 10 years! The list can't open because people don't get off of it!! What is that??!!? Workers should be hired so that they can take the time to provide those necessary long term services.
I can say so much more, but I'll chill.
And I am a big proponent of the "give a man a fish...." quote.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

qrm06 in Fort Myers, Florida

32 months ago

I completely agree! We have a broken program that needs fixing. The politicians of our time are afraid of messing with social programs, especially Social Security. They know that if they even try to reform it their political career is over when in fact we need politicians like that!
I have worked in inpatient crisis units and long term forensic units. I really noticed that the system was broken while in the crisis units because people abuse it like none other. One person would show up on the 5th of the month and saw what he had to say until the end of the month. When he "convinced" the doctors that he was not in crisis anymore he would get discharged, collect his SS and go on a crack binge. 5 days later he would be back! Something is wrong with this picture. And this really happened to me and I believe it was true because he disclosed that to me.
Like you said people need some personal responsibility and to stop expecting that everything MUST be given to them. Section 8 is ridiculous but very helpful to some; there is no need to stay on it for life. Poverty is cyclical and within a few months and sometimes year’s people are usually out of poverty. Only a few people are chronically impoverished but not all of the people receiving benefits need them for this ridiculous amount of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.