Finding a job in USA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Elise in Hampton, Australia

27 months ago

Dear everyone, how are you guys going...I'm a Singaporean Indian currently finishing up my MSW degree in Australia and was wondering whether I could gain some work experience in USA as a social worker? I've posted on yahoo answers this same query and besides one kind soul who said that I needed to get licensed etc practically everyone else told me to not try and were very rude. Now I think with the way the world is going, geographical boundaries are slowly becoming a thing of the past ie Italy is not only for Italians and well, you know what I mean. I always feel there is always enough for everyone and some left over. So if there is anyone who is gonna tell me please dont come to USA you're stealing our jobs (although I plan to do everything legally if there is an opportunity), please dont respond to this discussion.
My questions are basically, what can I do to get started and also, would it help if I get my son enrolled in a school there and I look for a job in the meantime? I am a single mum of a 9 y.o. by the way. :) I just want him to have a decent education and a bit of travelling round the world as such. :)
Thank you for your time and have a nice day. God bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MSW in May 2014 in Atlanta, Georgia

5 months ago

Elise in Hampton, Australia said: Dear everyone, how are you guys going...I'm a Singaporean Indian currently finishing up my MSW degree in Australia and was wondering whether I could gain some work experience in USA as a social worker? I've posted on yahoo answers this same query and besides one kind soul who said that I needed to get licensed etc practically everyone else told me to not try and were very rude. Now I think with the way the world is going, geographical boundaries are slowly becoming a thing of the past ie Italy is not only for Italians and well, you know what I mean. I always feel there is always enough for everyone and some left over. So if there is anyone who is gonna tell me please dont come to USA you're stealing our jobs (although I plan to do everything legally if there is an opportunity), please dont respond to this discussion.
My questions are basically, what can I do to get started and also, would it help if I get my son enrolled in a school there and I look for a job in the meantime? I am a single mum of a 9 y.o. by the way. :) I just want him to have a decent education and a bit of travelling round the world as such. :)
Thank you for your time and have a nice day. God bless.

As an MSW you should have a License to work in the US. Not having it may limit or cancel your eligibility for most MSW jobs. You can work many BSW jobs without a License.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MSW in May 2014 in Atlanta, Georgia

5 months ago

The best way to gain experience is working in outreach programs, residential treatment, or shelters. If you are not employed by a human service, or non- profit organization. Then that is a good way to get entry level experience. Also volunteering and working relief, or "on call," shifts can be helpful to get your foot in the door while keeping other jobs. A Licensed MSW is valuable in several different positions: in the education industry, medical field, government organizations, such as jails, hospitals, political field, research, public health, elder care, child care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.