Geriatric Social Work Opportunities

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

a confused student in Cincinnati, Ohio

85 months ago

I'm an MSW student and I'm currently looking for internship ideas in the field of geriatrics. Is there anything out there working one on one with the elderly? Counseling or other ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

renne in San Antonio, Texas

85 months ago

I am a geriatric social worker with a masters in gerontology and a bachelor in social work. I would advise that you try out companies that provide psychiatric services to seniors in nursing homes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Huntington Beach, California

84 months ago

a confused student in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I'm an MSW student and I'm currently looking for internship ideas in the field of geriatrics. Is there anything out there working one on one with the elderly? Counseling or other ideas?

I would try Adult Day Health Care Centers, Gero-psych units in hospitals, VA Hospitals, Hospice Agencies, senior centers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janice in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

84 months ago

I would try contracting NASW in your area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jamie, LCSW in Lakeland, Florida

83 months ago

You might try Hospice, a lot of the work will be with the family. It won't be much real clinical psychotherapy. Nusing Home would be a good place, some states have Clinical SW that do psychotherapy with resident's there. That is currently what I do in FL. I know Indiana has the same company I work for. Funded by Medicare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

smallanimals in Brooklyn, New York

82 months ago

Try kateri rsidence in manhattan

a confused student in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I'm an MSW student and I'm currently looking for internship ideas in the field of geriatrics. Is there anything out there working one on one with the elderly? Counseling or other ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DW in San Diego, California

74 months ago

I have a MSW and have been working in an adult day health center for 2 1/2 years- it has been a great learning experience, acquainting me not only to the psychological issues which come at the last stage of life, but giving me a chance to see how medical issues impact psychological functioning. Working as part of a multidisciplinary team has been a great plus as well.

Karen in Coral Springs, Fl. in Pompano Beach, Florida

63 months ago

I'm a licensed psychotherapist with a bachelors and masters degree from FIU, and I graduated with honors. Since I have over 15 years of experience working with the geriatric population, I'm leaning towards joining a group practice, and I'm open minded to other areas of practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Coral Springs, Fl. in Pompano Beach, Florida

63 months ago

Please contact me.

awilliams in Cleveland, Ohio

63 months ago

Karen in Coral Springs, Fl. in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Please contact me.

HI KAREN, I was wondering how everything was working for you down there ? and i was wondering if FL is really a good place to relocate because i specialize in working with older adults. thank u

Miki in San Diego, California

62 months ago

I am graduating in 2 weeks with a Masters in Social Work Administration and have a BSW with a minor in Gerontology. Having difficulty finding Gerontolgical Social Work Jobs... does anyone know of anything?

awilliams in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

CONGRATS ! ON THE GRADUATION I FINISHED IN DEC WITH MY MASTERS AND CONCENTRATION IN AGING ALSO! BUT I HAVE FOUND SOO MANY JOBS ONLINE ON THIS SITE FOR SOCIAL WORKERS IN OUR SPECIALIZATION....TRY SENIOR CENTERS , NURSING HOMES, REHAB AN EVEN HOSPITALS...I THINK IN A SEARCH ENGINE TRY ELDERLY, OLDER ADULTS, AND AGING...I HOPE THIS HELPS GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in West Bloomfield, Michigan

55 months ago

Miki in San Diego, California said: I am graduating in 2 weeks with a Masters in Social Work Administration and have a BSW with a minor in Gerontology. Having difficulty finding Gerontolgical Social Work Jobs... does anyone know of anything?

What is social work administration? I have never heard of it.

Miki in Temecula, California

55 months ago

Social Work Administration teaches you to become a leader in the non-profit world; essentially, its an MBA with heart & empathy. You apply the values and ethics of our profession to the skills needed, such as financials & leadership, for running a non-profit or social services agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in West Bloomfield, Michigan

55 months ago

Miki in Temecula, California said: Social Work Administration teaches you to become a leader in the non-profit world; essentially, its an MBA with heart & empathy. You apply the values and ethics of our profession to the skills needed, such as financials & leadership, for running a non-profit or social services agency.

It seems you could do this just as well with an MSW AND get a license! I think jobs for social work administration will be very hard to find.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.