Going back to work in an area I don't like

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Faith84 in Michigan

30 months ago

Hi everyone...I have a question and I was wondering if anyone could offer some insight...

I've been unemployed for several months (I was developmental disabilities case manager) but I was just offered a position as a caseworker in fostercare. I am terrified. I have worked in this position before for about 4 years and it literally drove me insane (thats why I left lol) but I have been steered this way again because I have been struggling like hell living off of unemployment. I told myself I wouldn't work in foster care again because of the stress, but they are the only ones offering me positions...I am scared, I'm mad and I'm scared again because things were so rough before I had to seek mental health services because of the stress....it took me a year to get it together and i don't want to go back. Yes I have learned how to cope much better but my question is....should i take the job? I'm usually the type of person that puts on her "big girl panties" and deals with it, but I am scared that I may regress...and be insane again lol. Help! :-/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gnote in Los Angeles, California

29 months ago

Faith, I think you really need to identify what things drove you crazy at the job. Was it the clients? The coworkers? Your boss? The way the agency was run? Taking the work home with you? Some of these things may or may not be a problem in your new job. What exactly do you dread? I have had several careers and many jobs. Although I am one of those leaving social work for a different career, some of my worst working experiences had to do with a bullying coworker and someone who harassed me sexually, and poorly run organizations, not necessarily the clients. Outside of that, if you really do not like the career, there is always the option of going into another field. If you are not earning income, then you might consider school/training and, because of low income, you are in a great position to qualify for a grant and loans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

PCL in El Centro, California

27 months ago

In

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.