MSW Career Option Other than Social Worker

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

JennaC in Salt Lake City, Utah

48 months ago

I am currently getting my MSW and I have found that being a clinician or therapist isn't something I would like to do once I have finished. I have heard that an MSW is a very diverse degree, but I'm having trouble finding information on what I could do than being an LCSW and therapist. I would love to work more with policy on the federal or state level, but how would I go about doing that? What are some careers for an MSW besides a clinical social worker and how does one find and obtain those positions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

43 months ago

JennaC in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I am currently getting my MSW and I have found that being a clinician or therapist isn't something I would like to do once I have finished. I have heard that an MSW is a very diverse degree, but I'm having trouble finding information on what I could do than being an LCSW and therapist. I would love to work more with policy on the federal or state level, but how would I go about doing that? What are some careers for an MSW besides a clinical social worker and how does one find and obtain those positions?

I know this post is several months old JennaC, so not sure if you are still on these posts or needing the information? My MSW program provided a clinical track and an administrative track when I attended. We have general core classes we had to take, and I chose clinical. For those who chose the administrative track, they did more budget and planning and policy classes. A good way to find these positions is to search usajobs.com if you are interested in federal jobs. Use searches like health care policy, policy, etc. Those in the administrative track, did an administrative internship with agencies. For some, they may have focused on grant writing and fund raising, for others, maybe lobbying for social service agencies, etc. The MSW degree is a broad field in my opinion. We learned how to build an agency in my BSW program. We have courses like Policy and Planning as well. So, I think the field is endless and there are many with MSWs who are doing jobs where their title is not "social worker". Some may be Nursing Home Administrators, Executive Directors of Social Service agencies, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

nicolas in Johannesburg, South Africa

43 months ago

i am hungry for success

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.