MSW programs in NY area

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 308)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Kiki in Brooklyn, New York

77 months ago

Nisha in Huntington Station, New York said: Hi,

I was accepted in NYU and Columbia's 16 month programs...I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Nyu offered me a scholarship, Columbia didn't. But Columbia is, well...Columbia! I'm confused!

It really depends on what you want to be studying. NYU is VERY clinical. If you're goal is to get clinical training and go the clinical route then that may be the school for you. If, how ever, you are interested in the option of training in programming, administration, and/or policy, I'd look to CUSSW. Also, my understanding is that NYU does not have the social justice and advocacy presence that CUSSW. That said CUSSW IS heavy on the clinical. Just not so much as NYU.

The field places, in regards to clinical, are probably about the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Not to sound rude, but it seems to me that many of the posters on this board want to be therapists. Why go to social work school if you aren't interested in the social justice piece, considering that is what social work was founded on? Why not just become a therapist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Leslie in Bronx, New York

77 months ago

Lynne Anne in East Setauket, New York said: OK plain and simple - what is the least needlessly difficult , clinically oriented program that will train a student for the real world. I am not interested in working in public policy. Also my GPA is a trace under 3.00 but in the Social Science it is much higher. I do not want to go to a program that is self important or overly competitive. I want a relaxed but practical and informed environment in NY or NE PA. that has a large returning student popululation.
THANKS

Seeing as Social Work is anything but relaxed, maybe you should consider going to a not-relaxed program that prepares you for the field you are getting into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rooda33 in Albion, New York

76 months ago

Debbie in Holtsville, New York said: I totally understand how you feel b/c I have taken the LMSW exam a couple of times and not passed. I got 71 on all exams...I am trying to find a private tutor.

I will graduate in May 09 and I want to take the exam as soon as possible but I'm really nervous. In NY what is the lowest passing grade you can get? I know and hear about so many people who fail on the first time. I'm not a test taker so I'm really anxious. Best of luck to you. We pay enough to go to school I can imagine how much it must cost to take the exam more than once......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Kiki in Brooklyn, New York said: Not to sound rude, but it seems to me that many of the posters on this board want to be therapists. Why go to social work school if you aren't interested in the social justice piece, considering that is what social work was founded on? Why not just become a therapist?

Even if you want to become a "therapist" you still need a social work degree. LMSW then LCSW then LCSW-R in order to do private practice. LMSW in order to see clients for therapy and to bill for most insurances...... I do agree that social justice and policy is a very important piece but it's not for all people. There is a huge umbrella that covers social work and what we do. Clinical is just as important as policy as we never know what we may end up doing once we are actually out in the real world......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lydia in White Plains, New York

76 months ago

rooda33 in Albion, New York said: I will graduate in May 09 and I want to take the exam as soon as possible but I'm really nervous. In NY what is the lowest passing grade you can get? I know and hear about so many people who fail on the first time. I'm not a test taker so I'm really anxious. Best of luck to you. We pay enough to go to school I can imagine how much it must cost to take the exam more than once......

Hey Rooda, I just took the exam on dec 15, 2008. Passing grade is 70 in NY. Starting 04/08 they stopped giving the scores. It is either pass or fail. If you fail you can inquire about your score but if you pass they will not tell you ( I really wanted to know how I did it)
Exam was physically exhousting but keep in mind that you can "flag" questions and go back to them latter. Don't memorize anything! A lot of questions were "common sense questions for social workers" to test your ability to navigate in diffrent social work settings. E-mail me if you have any specific questions. I will be more than happy to help lekupiec@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patricia Landesman in Forest Hills, New York

76 months ago

I took the exam in Nov 08 and failed it. I found it exhausting and am currently preparing to take it again! Good Luck!

rooda33 in Brockport, New York

76 months ago

Sorry to hear that. It's really scary seems like. What did you find to be the most difficult. Or is that it it's not difficult. I just want to know why people fail I don't understand. I'm so scared to take this damn exam. If you are willing to share I would really appreciate what the exam was like and what types of questions (topics) they covered. Are you going to take it again anytime soon? Once a person fails how long do they have to wait before taking it again and is the cost the same????/

76 months ago

lydia in White Plains, New York said: Hey Rooda, I just took the exam on dec 15, 2008. Passing grade is 70 in NY. Starting 04/08 they stopped giving the scores. It is either pass or fail. If you fail you can inquire about your score but if you pass they will not tell you ( I really wanted to know how I did it)
Exam was physically exhousting but keep in mind that you can "flag" questions and go back to them latter. Don't memorize anything! A lot of questions were "common sense questions for social workers" to test your ability to navigate in diffrent social work settings. E-mail me if you have any specific questions. I will be more than happy to help lekupiec@aol.com

Awesome you must be really relieved. Yes I most definitely would appreciate anything that you could offer. I hear so many horror stories and I really scared. I've heard the common sense thing before but I've also heard that it's textbook based and not on what you have done or would do in the real world. Did you do any of the online things or get the books? I will e-mail you would more specifics if you don't mind. Thank you soooo much and again congrats on passing.

Allison in Stony Brook, New York

76 months ago

I took the LMSW exam on 5/08 and it really helped to pay the $75 fee for the online practice test from ASWB. You have to register for the LMSW exam first before they will let you pay for the online practice test. But it is worth the $. Basically the questions on the online practice test mimic a lot of the questions on the LMSW exam (some are exactly the same). If you get some questions wrong, it gives you the correct answer and the best area to study.

slazovsk in Brooklyn, New York

75 months ago

I would love to sound as honest as possible. I graduated from an Ivy LeagueSchool last year and recently I obtained my LMSW license.
Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I was grown up in a communist times,survived immigration and learned a lot of lessons. English is not my first language so exuse myself for any grammar mistakes.
I was also very confused during my application process and very angry when I couldn't find honest and realistic answers. Everybody was glorifying their own schools as well as a dream about social justise. Well, now I can say, if your dream about social justice in a capitalist society...more power to you! I also had big dreams until my internship with some non profit organizations. I have to say that I was not the only one who faced such challenging experiences...many of my classmates were angry and disappointed as well. When you work as an intern, very often your supervisors tried to take an advantage of you by giving you an extra work knowing that you don't have any choice because it can affect your academic program, grades and tuition. Some of
my classmates were assigned to do more than 50 clients per semester! Imagine what kind of quality of counseling the clients had. Plus, when I was pursuing my MSW and doing field placement, I had 4 supervisors in a term of two years!Some of them had to leave or were fired because of a shortage of fundings.
Before making any decision, take into consideration not only tuition expenses or school reputation, but also the nature of time and social system we live in. Ask your self: Who will be my clients? Poor or rich? Micro or macro? Clinical or community? Who
will be ABLE to pay for my services? Social work directors, who don't care about the school prestige or private organizations that make their money from the school reputation? And at last, as one of my professors said " If you can work with rich, then you can afford to work and help the poor". Good luck(?)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joey in Riverhead, New York

75 months ago

hi guys, i am taking the exam in in 2010 and i am wondering if anybody knows if there is a paper version of the test as opposed to taking it on the computer? i would appreciate the feedback thanks

75 months ago

From what I understand that have done away with the paper version altogether

75 months ago

rooda33 in Albion, New York said: Even if you want to become a "therapist" you still need a social work degree. LMSW then LCSW then LCSW-R in order to do private practice. LMSW in order to see clients for therapy and to bill for most insurances...... I do agree that social justice and policy is a very important piece but it's not for all people. There is a huge umbrella that covers social work and what we do. Clinical is just as important as policy as we never know what we may end up doing once we are actually out in the real world......

Social work goes beyond clinical and policy. Between the Macro and the Micro there will always be the Mezzo. If you want to create change, you NEED to understand and work with all 3 levels.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

doccrohn in NEW YORK, New York

75 months ago

LMSW prep individualized for you! If you've tried the exam and haven't passed, I can help...
I'm an LCSW, DSW with 30+ years agency experience and private practice and a trained LMSW prep teacher and graduate social work educator.
Ill be offering one on one tutoring and small group assistance in my private office in lower Manhattan
call for a telephone assessment and more details!or e mail me at passlmsw@gmail.com
Helen Crohn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

joey in Riverhead, New York said: hi guys, i am taking the exam in in 2010 and i am wondering if anybody knows if there is a paper version of the test as opposed to taking it on the computer? i would appreciate the feedback thanks

there are paper versions to study from, but the test is always given on the computer

75 months ago

rooda33 in Brockport, New York said: Awesome you must be really relieved. Yes I most definitely would appreciate anything that you could offer. I hear so many horror stories and I really scared. I've heard the common sense thing before but I've also heard that it's textbook based and not on what you have done or would do in the real world. Did you do any of the online things or get the books? I will e-mail you would more specifics if you don't mind. Thank you soooo much and again congrats on passing.

The primary approach to this test is both knowing the content, but primarily its about knowing how to approach a standardized, multiple choice test. If you're good at memorization and SAT-type tests, youll do well, taking an assessment test to see where you stand is the first step. Many folks have problems b/c they have english as a second language, or were neer taught how to take such tests. Others find it easy, if they were schooled in this culture. I work with folks who have tried it and not passed (sometimes multiple times) because they need help in learning these methods. Hope this helps
Helen Crohn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vicki in Hollywood, Florida

73 months ago

I have an LMSW from NY from 1980 which I have to renew. I also have an LCSW from Florida since 1985 and have been in private practice in Florida for 20+ years. Does anyone know if I can practice in NYC w a LMSW, once I re-register and take the online child abuse course? Every time I call the State, I get a different answer!

73 months ago

vicki in Hollywood, Florida said: I have an LMSW from NY from 1980 which I have to renew. I also have an LCSW from Florida since 1985 and have been in private practice in Florida for 20+ years. Does anyone know if I can practice in NYC w a LMSW, once I re-register and take the online child abuse course? Every time I call the State, I get a different answer!

Just to clarify, do you mean a clinical practice?
NYC has changed their rules for LCSWs which makes the licensing EXTREMELY difficult. NASW is working on have these regulations changed. However, considering you've been practicing since 1980, and you have an LCSW, I imagine that these recent changes will not negatively impact you. I'd call the NYC-NASW to check this: www.naswnyc.org/ two one two six six eight oh oh five oh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Kiki in Brooklyn, New York said: Just to clarify, do you mean a clinical practice?
NYC has changed their rules for LCSWs which makes the licensing EXTREMELY difficult. NASW is working on have these regulations changed. However, considering you've been practicing since 1980, and you have an LCSW, I imagine that these recent changes will not negatively impact you. I'd call the NYC-NASW to check this: www.naswnyc.org/ two one two six six eight oh oh five oh

thks for the info. I will call NASW. I think I have to re-register as an LMSW and then prove that I had clinical supervision and took the natl exam in order to get licensed in NYS. Does that sound right?
We had to be supervised & take the exam in order to get licensed in FL.

73 months ago

Just make sure your supervision was for at least 3 years and was by a LCSW or higher in addition to the face to face contacts. That should be enough to qualifiy you. I've heard that it's much easier to be certified coming from NY versus trying to come to NY and be certified so there may be a few extra hoops so keep that in mind.

73 months ago

thks; I will have to sort through some old papers. I've been doing priv practice since 85 in Fla!

JeniferLMSW in Valley Stream, New York

73 months ago

Ellen in Centereach, New York said: I am interested in returning to school for my MSW. I am not policy oriented and my main interest is clinical practice.
Since I have other obligations I am looking for a school with a flexible program geared to the adult learner.
Additionally, I would like to know if anyone has information about how competitive and stressful some program are as opposed
to programs that are more supportive and returning student friendly.
Thank you for your input.

Ive been a social worker for five years now and honestly I wouldn't recommend it. I graduated from Columbia with my MSW and from CW Post with my BS in psychology. I graduated with highest honors but it didnt matter. Social workers are over worked and under paid - the environments are abusive. I should have stayed at Post and finished with Psy. D. Find another career - you wont be sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Bronx, New York

72 months ago

doccrohn in NEW YORK, New York said: there are paper versions to study from, but the test is always given on the computer

Where can I get paper versions to study from?

72 months ago

JeniferLMSW in Valley Stream, New York said: Ive been a social worker for five years now and honestly I wouldn't recommend it. I graduated from Columbia with my MSW and from CW Post with my BS in psychology. I graduated with highest honors but it didnt matter. Social workers are over worked and under paid - the environments are abusive. I should have stayed at Post and finished with Psy. D. Find another career - you wont be sorry.

You shouldn't get into social work if you wanted to be thanked. ::shrug::

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

through out undergrad my professors always stressed that if we are getting into social work for the money we should change our major!!!!!!! If you regret it so much why has it been 5 years and you are still practicing????

72 months ago

I wasn't looking to go in to social work for the money and I stayed for five years because I cared about my patients. I wasn't, however, looking to get abused and overworked and taken advantage of. I have a caseload that is at an illegal limit.

christina in Seoul, Korea, Republic of

72 months ago

does anyone know if columbia's msw is worth the money?! paying so much for a msw degree is sort of ironic. what are the chances of getting an internship at the un? they said they have an official affiliation. also, how hard is it to do a law minor at columbia? you need to be selected..

Marnie in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

christina in Seoul, Korea, Republic of said: does anyone know if columbia's msw is worth the money?! paying so much for a msw degree is sort of ironic. what are the chances of getting an internship at the un? they said they have an official affiliation. also, how hard is it to do a law minor at columbia? you need to be selected..

To get an internship in the UN you'll need to be a Policy student with International Social Welfare as your field of practice. honestly, there are very few placements for international... and fewer at major agencies at the UN. Is it worth it? I'll let you know in 5 years ;-/

What are you looking to do after school? What are you looking to learn.

Stephanie in Covina, California

72 months ago

JeniferLMSW in Valley Stream, New York said: Ive been a social worker for five years now and honestly I wouldn't recommend it. I graduated from Columbia with my MSW and from CW Post with my BS in psychology. I graduated with highest honors but it didnt matter. Social workers are over worked and under paid - the environments are abusive. I should have stayed at Post and finished with Psy. D. Find another career - you wont be sorry.

Hi Jennifer,

I'm currently a psychology undergrad and my dream is to become a psyd, but I don't have the luxury of going out of state. where I live, the PsyD programs are not impressive and are too expensive. All the clinical psych phd programs are also not my cuppa tea. Well, I've started looking at MFT and MSW programs, with of course, the goal of becoming an LCSW so I can practice therapy. Why do you feel the way you do? Would it be best to go into MFT? I thought the MSW would be better, because it was flexible. Any advice would be helpful!!!Thankyou.

Christina in Seoul, Korea, Republic of

72 months ago

That's a really strong statement, but I really appreciate your honesty. I've been debating if I should attend Columbia's MSW or USC's MPA for forever now. (USC gave me half tuition at that) I sent my deposit to Col, but now I'm starting to have second thoughts again. Do you find that most Col grads become social workers? I'd pursue a more policy, intl. social welfare track. Col just seems more appealing because of the name.. Do you think I'd be just as unhappy? Also, I've been a bit skeptical as to why they don't list the name of first year internship agencies. If I'm going to be working at a homeless shelter for $60k/yr, it's not worth it.

Christina in Seoul, Korea, Republic of

72 months ago

Marnie in Brooklyn, New York said: To get an internship in the UN you'll need to be a Policy student with International Social Welfare as your field of practice. honestly, there are very few placements for international... and fewer at major agencies at the UN. Is it worth it? I'll let you know in 5 years ;-/

What are you looking to do after school? What are you looking to learn.

Can I ask where your first year internship was? Did many first year students have impressive internships?

71 months ago

60???????????? LOL! Try 38

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

JeniferLMSW in Valley Stream, New York said: 60???????????? LOL! Try 38

Don't feel bad I didn't pass either

71 months ago

Your first year placement will most likely be a case management position. You don't get a choice of placements and it's fairly difficult to change (politics) placements, though it has happened. Most placements are working in foster care, mental health, homeless, substance abuse, domestic violence, legal, and elder populations. A few of the agencies that take a number of students are: Safe Horizon, Sanctuary for Families, Urban Pathways, Legal Aid, JCCA, and FEGS (I think Catholic Charities as well). In addition, a number of students are placed in nursing homes as well.

At CUSSW I would say the majority of students do direct practice, with plans of getting a LCSW and doing private practice. That said, the schools demographics are changing.

What do you want to do? What are your long term career goals? I think that an MSW gives you necessary training, and a valuable perspective to use in international policy and consulting positions. However, it only begins to give the tools you would get at a school like SIPA. Additionally, I find that MPAs and MPHs are taken more seriously.

Could you get where you want to with an MSW at CUSSW? If you fight for it, are flexible, and are proactively making your own connections, then you probably can. BUT you're on your own

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

elaine in Shirley, New York

71 months ago

hey has anybody done a field placement at FEGS...I would appreciate ure opinion and if you think it is clincal..also how a typical day would run...i am interested in doing a clinical setting with treatment bc my last field was not clinical at all...* with the hope of doing private practice therapy in the near future thank u guys!

184 in Bronx, New York

71 months ago

Paul in Bronx, New York said: Where can I get paper versions to study from?

Lehman College has two more free sessions LMSW prep course. So far it has been helpful in test taking practices. There is a book that costs 185 that actually is useful if you are going to hit the books before the exam but the course also gives some practice exams. If you are interested the next session is June 23 from 5-8

Jordan Miraglia in Washington, District of Columbia

71 months ago

I appreciate that this is vaguely personal- but would anyone who was accepted to Columbia or NYU tell me their application statistics, ie undergrad gpa, experience, etc. I'm have a hard time finding any acceptance rate statistics and I'm just trying to best prepare for the application process. Thanks so much!

71 months ago

Jordan Miraglia in Washington, District of Columbia said: I appreciate that this is vaguely personal- but would anyone who was accepted to Columbia or NYU tell me their application statistics, ie undergrad gpa, experience, etc. I'm have a hard time finding any acceptance rate statistics and I'm just trying to best prepare for the application process. Thanks so much!

I went to Columbia and had a 3.3 from a state school + a couple years of experience. It seemed like most students had less experience, and I'm not sure that grades are THAT important. I think they are looking for you to demonstrate a commitment to service or social justice. How you do that is flexible. ;-)

If you did accounting for a year, you can talk about predatory loans, the need for financial education, etc.

Hope that helps!

jilymich in New York, New York

70 months ago

What are the differences (besides price) of Hunter, Columbia and NYU? I am looking to go into private practice. Hunter doesnt do parttime and because the other schools are so expensive, I probably still need to work.

Is NYU the only clinically-oriented program? After licensing and the 3 years of supervised work - do people still find it hard to get a good job?

Cheryl in East Setauket, New York

70 months ago

Does anyone know anything about the MSW program at Marywood U in Scranton?
I am moving to North Eastern PA and that seems like the only close choice.

Maria in Oakland, California

70 months ago

I am interested in working primarily as a therapist (I figure I will have to start at an agency, hospital or non profit before I can move on to private practice). BUT I am torn between getting my MFT (more emphasis on clinical stuff) and getting my MSW (more widely accepted, more flexibility). I am considering studying in New York. However, I am worried about transferring degrees between CA and NY. Seeing as all my family is out here in CA I would like to have the option to come back after I earn my Masters. I am more interested in MFT coursework but worried that the MSW will transfer better between states. Can anyone provide any feedback? **Also, I have been a social worker/case manager for 6 years already, so I already have a lot of experience working with different populations and know the basics about social work.

doccrohn in Pound Ridge, New York

70 months ago

I think the primary issues are what it takes to be liscensed in California and NYC. Look under the respective states web sites; I believe in NY you can practice with an MFT but I am not certain; in NY the State Education Department has the info about liscensing.

doccrohn in Pound Ridge, New York

70 months ago

Paul in Bronx, New York said: Where can I get paper versions to study from?

They are in prep books...some are given as part of joining a study website like AATBS; or socialworkexam.com

EAE215 in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Hi I am 25 yrs old and recenly graduated from Rider University in Lawrenceville NJ, I graduated in May 2009 with a BA, my major was Sociology with a minor in Social Work. While in school and currently I work as a social worker for a non profit organization, so I have years of hands on experience. During my undergraduate years I completed a 5 month internship with DYFS. At this point I am very interseted in a Graduate Program in the PA and NJ area. I currently reside in Bucks County but still extremely close to Central Jersey. When I graduted I left school with a GPA less that a 3.00 but higher than a 2.00, but my GPA Social Work wise is at least a 3.00, so I am also looking for a school that isnt too competive or hung up on GPA's less that 3.00, very flexible, friendly towards working adults, and tuition friendly, but what I dont want to sacrifice the quality of education I receive or have employers look at my degree like "what school is this!". PLEASE HELP!

Seeking Social Work JOB in New York, New York

70 months ago

HI!

I live in NYC and I'm seeking a JOB in social services. I'm finishing my Master's in social work at Hunter but need a to work to put myself through school. Does anyone have any tips or agency's they can refer me to? I have some great experienced and a good resume. I have a BA in Psych and behavioral social science. Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Allison in Middle Island, New York

70 months ago

I am not sure of specific agencies but socialservice.com is a great place to look. Also alumnijobs.blogspot.com/ is a good place to look, I am not sure if ACF is still hiring, but they are a good option.

Dana in Massapequa, New York

70 months ago

cjosephnyack in Brooklyn, New York said: Is it mandatory that after you have completed 2years Master Degree in Social Work, that you have to work minimum 2or 3years to obtain your LCSW? If so what types of jobs are available with a MSW degree? My last question which schools in the New York City area that offers Master degrees in Social Work, but you can obtain your LCSW at a shorter period of time?

From what i have been reading on the NYS licensing website, you NEED 3000 hours which equates to about 3 yrs of full time employment under a supervisor who is a LCSW. Personally, I think NYU or Columbia is overrated. You're paying sooooo much money and will be in so much debt and you're not going to be making over 50k with just that MSW. I would suggest Hunter College, if you're in the city, they are cheap and have a very good program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

In NY before you can even think about the LCSW you need to obtain your LMSW and then it's the three years 3000 hours with the one on one weekly supervision by a LCSW or higher i.e. psychologist with his R or a psychiatrist. I don't live in the city but I'm sure the schools outside of the city are significantly cheaper I did advanced standing to get my MSW which is a 1 year program with an upstate school and I pd 45,000. Upstate there are only 4 schools that graduate MSW's and Syracuse (SU) is probably the most expensive, I didn't go to Syracuse by the way.

69 months ago

Christina in Seoul, Korea, Republic of said: Can I ask where your first year internship was? Did many first year students have impressive internships?

I'd say most 1st and 2nd years had the opposite of impressive internships

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.