MSW programs in NY area

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 308)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Dana in Massapequa, New York

57 months ago

It can be frustrating to take the exam over and over. I used socialworkexam.com to study for my exam and i passed the first time.

I have to agree with that. Most 1st yr student don't get impressive internships. My first internship was at the dept of social services in the mental health unit. It wasn't a complete waste b/c it made me realize that I would never want to be a county employee, at least not in that capacity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

atticwriter in Chatham, New York

56 months ago

JeniferLMSW in Valley Stream, New York said: Ive been a social worker for five years now and honestly I wouldn't recommend it. I graduated from Columbia with my MSW and from CW Post with my BS in psychology. I graduated with highest honors but it didnt matter. Social workers are over worked and under paid - the environments are abusive. I should have stayed at Post and finished with Psy. D. Find another career - you wont be sorry.[/QUOTE

Jenifer, I read your note and I could not agree with you more. I wish I had decided to become a psychologist when I was in my 30s. I returned to school in my 40s and your description is accurate. I work in an addiction agency and although I like the population, the pay is very low, the hours are long, the paperwork is onerous, my work is unappreciated and I am not treated well. I am trying to decide what my next step is. I think a private practice is the only way to go. I might just have to ignore the New York rule that I must have 3 years of supervision first in an "approved setting." I have supervision now with an LCSW and a psychologist. I notice that some LMSWs have a private practice. I believe it just means we cannot accept insurance. I would use a sliding scale. Anyway, your comments are right on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dana in Bethpage, New York

56 months ago

I agree with Atticwriter, i wouldn't recommend getting an MSW. I also got my degree from Post and I recently passed the licensing exam, but now I'm 60k in debt, and I don't even make that much! I am now looking at getting my MBA in healthcare management from SUNYIT. Social workers do a much needed job, but unless the pay scale increases, there will be fewer people entering the profession and even fewer staying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TDDJ in Madras, India

55 months ago

Hi I am a nurse with a batchelors degree from India. I am very interested in taking doing Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling in the US. Since this is a shift from my Nursing field I have few questions and I am hoping to get some answers here.

1)What may be the nature of work and the work setting?

2)What is the average pay after finshing 2 years of Masters?

3)Can we work witha Masters degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling?

4)Will I be able to shuffle between working as a Registerd Nurse and as a Mental Health Counselor, or do I have to give one up?

Hoping to get some light on these.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maria in Oakland, California

55 months ago

I am having trouble deciding a MA in Counseling Psychology and PsyD and and an MSW. Ultimately, I want to be a therapist. I think I'd also enjoy the curriculum for PsyD and MA in Psychology better but I'm worried about job availability. I hear that LCSW have more and better job options. Does anyone know about that? I'm not interested in doing social work admin, or being a case manager. I've already done that for 6 years with just my BA. The only reason I'd get my MSW would be to go into practice as a therapist once I get my hours. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Also I think the MSW programs at public schools are a lot cheaper...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

atticwriter in Chatham, New York

55 months ago

Where do you live? If you live in New York state, don't bother getting an MSW esp. if you want to go into private practice. If you have the time and the inclination, get a PsyD. The pay is better and the opportunity to have a private practice is definitely better. Of course you must already know that you need to have a psychology degree first. The laws in NY are set up to actually prevent MSWs from opening private practice. I know because it's what I'm currently facing. I will probably be moving to Massachusetts in order to get a job and/or open a private practice.
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dana in Islip Terrace, New York

55 months ago

jilymich in New York, New York said: What are the differences (besides price) of Hunter, Columbia and NYU? I am looking to go into private practice. Hunter doesnt do parttime and because the other schools are so expensive, I probably still need to work.

Is NYU the only clinically-oriented program? After licensing and the 3 years of supervised work - do people still find it hard to get a good job?

I just graduated from LIU C.W Post campus and i have to say that the real difference bet the 3 schools u mentioned is price. Hunter is extremely competitive b/c they know their program is good and it's cheap. NYU and Columbia are clinically based. I would not pay NYU or Columbia tuition for an MSW degree b/c it's not worth the money. I look at how much money I owe after 2 yrs of schooling and it almost makes me depress. I am currently studying for the GMAT to get into business school for an MBA in health care management. The truth of the matter is no matter which program u attend, whether they are clinically based or policy based, u will get the clinically hours needed for the LCSW if ur working as a clinician/therapist. Either way, it will take a total of 5 yrs to be on the same level as a PsyD, and u will probably be making less money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lnelson1 in Elmont, New York

54 months ago

I graduated with a MSW in 2003 and like an idiot I put off taking my LMSW test until now. Can I be grandfathered in or is that a thing of the past. I took the test recently and failed by one point!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rooda33 in Albion, New York

54 months ago

sorry to say but yes it's a thing of the pass. I graduated just 5 months ago and took it in August and was fortunate enough to pass on the first try. I wouldn't give up if you've been working in the field all this time you know your stuff just take your time and it will come. I was overly anxious and really psyched myself out but I did pass. Good luck to you!!!!

doccrohn in Jersey City, New Jersey

54 months ago

i am a social work exam tutor; i suggest you dont take it again until push your score up another 8-10 points....many people take it numerous times which is very dispiriting...
use a web based program like aatbs.com or socialworkexam.com and use the practice exams until your score over 65 on aatbs (its harder than real exam)
good luck
hc
www.socialworkexamtutor.com

dana legrande in massapequa, New York

54 months ago

doccrohn in Jersey City, New Jersey said: i am a social work exam tutor; i suggest you dont take it again until push your score up another 8-10 points....many people take it numerous times which is very dispiriting...
use a web based program like aatbs.com or socialworkexam.com and use the practice exams until your score over 65 on aatbs (its harder than real exam)
good luck
hc
www.socialworkexamtutor.com

I graduated in May and was lucky enough to take the exam in Aug and passed. I studied hard and used socialworkexam.com. I have to say that site was what did, their questions were harder than the actual exam. If you fail the 1st time, i would suggest waiting and using that site.

Kim in New York, New York

54 months ago

Hi Everyone,
I will be graduating this Fall with a BA in Psychology from City College, NYC. I am in my early 40s with approx 7 years experience in Healthcare Administration and 8 years in Hospitality. When I went back to school to finish my BA, I had wanted to pursue the clinical track with aspirations toward a Psy.D or even a doctorate. During the last two years however, I realized that my interests lay more in social justice and public policy. Thus I am very interested in Columbia's dual degree program where there is a possibility of obtaining a second degree such as International Affairs from SIPA. I am interested in working for or being affiliated with a UN organization such as ILO, UNIEFEM or UNICEF or even the WHO in working with developing countries on women's and or children's issues.
My current gpa is 3.5 and it may be a little higher by the end of the semester. My questions are:
1) what are my chances of getting into CUSSW?
2) At an info session at CU I was informed I could apply to SIPA during my first semester. Should I apply at the outset to SIPA as well? (It would be no point attending CUSSW if I don't get into SIPA.)
3)In terms of what I want to accomplish, would NYU's Silver School of SW be comparable? I hear they are more clinically based. (I noticed that they pack the dual program into two years which allows no respite for someone like me who needs to work at least a little for money...)
4)Does anyone know of other universities/institutions which offer dual programs? In NYC or in the country?
5) Has anyone on this forum been in a dual program? Or currently in one?
I appreciate any feedback I am able to use.
Thank you.

jilymich in New York, New York

54 months ago

Was doing a part-time MSW while working full-time doeable? Really time consuming? The classes are all at night, so that would be fine, but I am confused how someone who works full-time is capable of doing the field work during 9-5 hours, as most of them are? Do the programs get part-time students weekend field work?

Can someone tell me their experiences?

Cindy in New York, New York

54 months ago

Allison in Manorville, New York said: I agree, I forgot to add that the school is very policy oriented.

I do agree with that statement, you should have mentioned there Placement office and how sucky it is. they don't work with you in the placement office, there excuse is "it's hard to place partime students", but glorify that they have been doing this for years. Either they need a refresher course or they need to change faculty.

Hanna J in Rockville Centre, New York

49 months ago

Does anyone have any information on Administrative tracts that some schools of social work offer? Are some programs better than others? I am confused. I would think that a MSW with experience would get a administrative job over someone that is fresh out of school with a shiny new MSW/Administration degree yet no experience. What should I know?

roses5117 in Holbrook, New York

46 months ago

Is there any way to still get grandfathered in if I was a CSW since 1996, to get an LCSW or do I have to go through the nightmare paperwork and test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ronnie in Bronx, New York

44 months ago

Jane in Albany, New York said: I've applied and been accepted to Fordham (the Fordham/Molloy joint program) and Adelphi University to get my MSW. Can anyone give me feedback on what each has to offer? What good things (and bad things) you've heard about one or both of them?

Thank you!

I recently graduated from Fordham, the Lincoln campus. My concentration was clinical. I loved the school and program. I would recommend Fordham. Sorry i don't have specific information on the Molloy program.

Ronnie in Bronx, New York

44 months ago

Hello all,

I recently graduated from Fordham with MSW. I'm studying for exam now and plan to take it by the end of the month. I have considered applying for a PH.d program, very interested in John Jay's forensic psych program. Any suggestions on PH d programs would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to work in the field of forensic psych. Thanks.

EN in New York, New York

43 months ago

roses5117 in Holbrook, New York said: Is there any way to still get grandfathered in if I was a CSW since 1996, to get an LCSW or do I have to go through the nightmare paperwork and test

Hi, I also took the exam in the 90's and needed to find out if I am grandfathered in since I was considered a CSE at that time.

BC forensic social worker in Middletown, New York

41 months ago

TDDJ in Madras, India said: Hi I am a nurse with a batchelors degree from India. I am very interested in taking doing Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling in the US. Since this is a shift from my Nursing field I have few questions and I am hoping to get some answers here.

1)What may be the nature of work and the work setting?

2)What is the average pay after finshing 2 years of Masters?

3)Can we work witha Masters degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling?

4)Will I be able to shuffle between working as a Registerd Nurse and as a Mental Health Counselor, or do I have to give one up?

Hoping to get some light on these.
Thanks!

NY state is not a good state to find a job with that degree. Master level social workers have far more opportunities, including working in the mental health field.

Sanjchi in Seattle, Washington

41 months ago

Hi slazovsk,

Thank you for the candid advice and opinion. I am trying to move to NY from Seattle and currently applying to several MSW programs in the city area. I'm also a refugee from a foreign country - (slavic). As someone who has gone throught the mill already, you seem to have a good grasp of reality....would you mind sharing some of your mentioned disappointments and experiences in more detail with me? I sometimes feel that my tendency to idealise the profession of social work and the opportunities that I might have to fight fr te underdog will get me trully disappointed. It would help to be prepared and get some more information from someone who's walked the walk.
I appreceiate your time and hope that you will respond!
Sanjchi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dlegrande in farmingdale, New York

41 months ago

I think someone already mentioned this but you might want to consider Adelphi if you're looking for a program that is flexible and not too difficult. C.W. Post SW program is writing intensive and clinically base. I graduated in 2009 and all of my cohorts passed the licensing exam within 3 months. Both Post and Adelphi would admit you on a probationary period if your GPA is not the 3.0.
Hope this helps!

Student in Bronx, New York

41 months ago

EN in New York, New York said: Hi, I also took the exam in the 90's and needed to find out if I am grandfathered in since I was considered a CSE at that time.

Look on the NYS professions site to see if you were grandfathered in. Most, however were not.

41 months ago

**continued**

I would be more than happy to help those who have questions, please email me at classychicck@aol.com.

Another option too for helping professions is substance abuse counseling. If you are in your bachelor level work - the OASIS will grant you a 1000 hours towards the 4000 hours that are need to become a substance abuse counselor. The field is in high demand, and the pay is pretty good. However, the downfall in this work is that many people struggle with an addiction have underlying issues that have caused this addiction and at times, the possibility of relaspe is seen.

Social workers are also learning that medical factors are an important key component to treatment. Many social workers are now getting their LPN license for better understanding of this newer treatment.

Through my research and connections with people in the field. I am gathering that if you enjoy your profession like any others, the more involvment you put in for a higher learning and experience the "richer" you will become both internally and financially.

Please email me if you would like to talk about anything or need guidance in this field... classychicck@aol.com. BTW, I am in Brooklyn, not the Bronx. I don't know why it shows this.

dlegrande in farmingdale, New York

41 months ago

you are absolutely right. I am an LMSW and I am going back for a second masters in health mgt and policy. I also have my substance abuse credentials. So, the more you're willing to put into it, the more you'll get out.

41 months ago

dlegrande in farmingdale, New York said: you are absolutely right. I am an LMSW and I am going back for a second masters in health mgt and policy. I also have my substance abuse credentials. So, the more you're willing to put into it, the more you'll get out.

Glad to hear that you are motivated for a higher learning! Good for you! Good luck with it!

41 months ago

Ronnie in Bronx, New York said: Hello all,

I recently graduated from Fordham with MSW. I'm studying for exam now and plan to take it by the end of the month. I have considered applying for a PH.d program, very interested in John Jay's forensic psych program. Any suggestions on PH d programs would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to work in the field of forensic psych. Thanks.

I have had many friends graduate from John Jay who have majored in forensic psychology and absolutely loved it! I have heard their professors are retired professionals, many from the FBI and high ranking criminal investigators. Excellent choice for this field! CUNY is great too! Good luck to you!

41 months ago

jilymich in New York, New York said: Was doing a part-time MSW while working full-time doeable? Really time consuming? The classes are all at night, so that would be fine, but I am confused how someone who works full-time is capable of doing the field work during 9-5 hours, as most of them are? Do the programs get part-time students weekend field work?

Can someone tell me their experiences?

From experience, I do not tolerate the 9-5 only hours of field work. Instead, I contacted agencies that have evening hours and submitted my resume and got a great evening field work for one year. I will be doing the same for next year. The field experience is for two semesters only (1 year). Hospitals, nursing homes, colleges, hospice care have evening/weekend hours. You have to make sure the supervisor is a LMSW or LCSW post 3 years after license. SIFI certification also. (that is my school's requirements).

41 months ago

Student in Bronx, New York said: From experience, I do not tolerate the 9-5 only hours of field work. Instead, I contacted agencies that have evening hours and submitted my resume and got a great evening field work for one year. I will be doing the same for next year. The field experience is for two semesters only (1 year). Hospitals, nursing homes, colleges, hospice care have evening/weekend hours. You have to make sure the supervisor is a LMSW or LCSW post 3 years after license. SIFI certification also. (that is my school's requirements).

BTW, I work Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm. School is two nights a week during the evening - 12 credits. Field is Two nights a week -10 hrs a week. Doable - yes, time consuming - absolutely. Evening and weekend field hours are limited and some schools do not have the resources or contracts to offer this to students. I attend a private university and I do not understand for the amount of money their tuition is, they should have more resources. My motto "If there is a will, there is a way".

Sara in Brooklyn, New York

40 months ago

Hi, I was accepted to Hunter's social work program for Fall 2011. Hunter is known to give pass/fail grades as opposed to letter grades, and someone recently freaked me out by saying this could hurt me in the long run if I end up applying to a PhD program, which I would one day like to do. Can someone who knows please tell me if this is accurate? If anything, wouldn't the P/F grading help more than hurt the admissions process??

socialwkr in Missouri

40 months ago

Sara in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi, I was accepted to Hunter's social work program for Fall 2011. Hunter is known to give pass/fail grades as opposed to letter grades, and someone recently freaked me out by saying this could hurt me in the long run if I end up applying to a PhD program, which I would one day like to do. Can someone who knows please tell me if this is accurate? If anything, wouldn't the P/F grading help more than hurt the admissions process??

Hey Sara..............do they do the pass/fail system for all their programs or just social work? I think I would be concerned if it was only the social work program.

The best thing is to hear it from the horses' mouths, so to speak......call some social work programs who have PhD programs and ask them if you would have difficulty with the P/F system.

In more competitive schools it may be an issue......if you have people with a 4.0 applying to a PhD program and someone who you don't know whether they are a A, B or C student.....could make a difference since PhD programs are tougher to get into.

Interesting.....P/F, I would be interested to see what you find out. I know education changes over time!

BSW student in Richmond, Virginia

39 months ago

Sara in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi, I was accepted to Hunter's social work program for Fall 2011. Hunter is known to give pass/fail grades as opposed to letter grades, and someone recently freaked me out by saying this could hurt me in the long run if I end up applying to a PhD program, which I would one day like to do. Can someone who knows please tell me if this is accurate? If anything, wouldn't the P/F grading help more than hurt the admissions process??

Hi Sara, I am currently in the process of applying to Hunter's MSW program for Fall 2011. This is random but was the application process difficult? If you don't mind answering, where did you get your bachelors degree from and what was your GPA? I am scared I won't be accepted because my cumulative GPA is a 2.81 but my major (social work) GPA is a 3.22. Thanks in advance!

39 months ago

Hey, no problem. I would say it's the type of process that seems difficult and overwhelming, but once you sit down and actually start doing it it's really not so bad. I'm actually still in undergrad- finishing my last few credits (at Touro College) and graduating this semester. So without meaning to sound discouraging, I'm going to say that my relatively high GPA (3.88)really did make a difference because without it I don't think I would have been accepted as my young age was really working against me. Even more important than GPA though, in my opinion, is the personal statement. Put effort into your personal statement! I know this doesn't apply for most schools, usually grades or standardized test scores count more, but when it comes to social work your personal statement counts a whole lot more than GPA. At least that's what I've seen from my admissions experience and who got in vs. who didn't from the bunch of us who applied to Hunter from my college/friends. So don't worry too much if your GPA is lower- just work even harder on your personal statement and focus more on your experiences and expressing your sense of self... They're very into that.
Good luck with everything and let me know if you need more specific advice...

BSW Student in Richmond, Virginia

39 months ago

Thanks Sara!! That was very helpful! Good luck at Hunter!

Sara in Brooklyn, New York said: Hey, no problem. I would say it's the type of process that seems difficult and overwhelming, but once you sit down and actually start doing it it's really not so bad. I'm actually still in undergrad- finishing my last few credits (at Touro College) and graduating this semester. So without meaning to sound discouraging, I'm going to say that my relatively high GPA (3.88)really did make a difference because without it I don't think I would have been accepted as my young age was really working against me. Even more important than GPA though, in my opinion, is the personal statement. Put effort into your personal statement! I know this doesn't apply for most schools, usually grades or standardized test scores count more, but when it comes to social work your personal statement counts a whole lot more than GPA. At least that's what I've seen from my admissions experience and who got in vs. who didn't from the bunch of us who applied to Hunter from my college/friends. So don't worry too much if your GPA is lower- just work even harder on your personal statement and focus more on your experiences and expressing your sense of self... They're very into that.
Good luck with everything and let me know if you need more specific advice...

39 months ago

socialwkr in Missouri said: Hey Sara..............do they do the pass/fail system for all their programs or just social work? I think I would be concerned if it was only the social work program.

The best thing is to hear it from the horses' mouths, so to speak......call some social work programs who have PhD programs and ask them if you would have difficulty with the P/F system.

In more competitive schools it may be an issue......if you have people with a 4.0 applying to a PhD program and someone who you don't know whether they are a A, B or C student.....could make a difference since PhD programs are tougher to get into.

Interesting.....P/F, I would be interested to see what you find out. I know education changes over time!

Hey, thanks so much for your response! I'm still unclear about it because when I emailed PhD programs their responses were super vague... But they didn't say anything against the p/f system, so I'm just gonna go with the flow I guess and see what happens. I heard you can always request letter grades if you need, I just hope I won't need to because that would be really annoying to have to do that for each class/professor. Thanks again for the advice!

doccrohn in CancĂșn, Mexico

39 months ago

I dont think so; Hunter is a very prestigious school and being accepted there indicates you are a superior student....when I applied to doctoral programs, it was clear they were more interested in my work experience, my scholarly interests etc; i had also gone to a school with pass/fail....it wasnt an issue....hope this helps

39 months ago

doccrohn in Cancún, Mexico said: I dont think so; Hunter is a very prestigious school and being accepted there indicates you are a superior student....when I applied to doctoral programs, it was clear they were more interested in my work experience, my scholarly interests etc; i had also gone to a school with pass/fail....it wasnt an issue....hope this helps

It does, thanks!

new student in Brooklyn, New York

39 months ago

Hello I was just accepted to NYU's social work program and they're asking for my resume to submit to the field placement office. To get the best fieldwork options out there, can anyone suggest any tips to include in my resume? Should I specify or focus on a specific skill or objective?

Also, what would be a good resume objective in this case? I'm not looking for a job, I'm submitting my resume to the school to find me a fieldwork placement- what's appropriate to write as an objective in this case?

Please help! Thanks in advance!

39 months ago

Congrats to evryone who was recenly offered admission to MSW programs in the NYC area. Can someone help me clarify a question please.
I'm reading in this forum that people are being offered admission to NYU, Hunter and Columbia right now. The deadlines have not even passed! How is that possible, or fair? Maybe I'm wrong here, or I really don't understand the process, but aren't applications supposed to be considered after everyone has submitted theirs? Does it mean that someone like me (who is applying closer to the deadline- not because I'm lazy) may loose a chance with these schools since there are less spots available due to early decisions?
Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this question...
Cheers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

Sanjchi in Seattle, Washington said: Congrats to evryone who was recenly offered admission to MSW programs in the NYC area. Can someone help me clarify a question please.
I'm reading in this forum that people are being offered admission to NYU, Hunter and Columbia right now. The deadlines have not even passed! How is that possible, or fair? Maybe I'm wrong here, or I really don't understand the process, but aren't applications supposed to be considered after everyone has submitted theirs? Does it mean that someone like me (who is applying closer to the deadline- not because I'm lazy) may loose a chance with these schools since there are less spots available due to early decisions?
Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this question...
Cheers

Hey Sanjchi, good luck with your admissions process. You're 100% right, it's not fair, but the trick behind applying to any school is apply as early as possible! Someone told me to do this and I'm so glad I listened because it's really true that they accept on a rolling basis. And it's not just social work, the same seems to be going on with all my friends applyin to grad school in different fields.... So start now, good luck!;)

39 months ago

Hey New Student- thank you so much for writing. I had no idea that this is going on. I am submitting the rest of the aplications this month, but all I can do now is hope to get in somewhere!!
Best of luck to you with everything :)

lilmissleexo in Oneonta, New York

39 months ago

I am applying to MSW programs at Hunter college and UBuffalo. I am extremely nervous as I am graduating in May and see this as my only option. I have relevant experience working with children with developmental disabilities and my internship next semester will be at the Salvation Army. I believe I have 3 great reccomendations from my advisor and professors. My overall GPA is a 3.5 what does anyone think of my chances ?????????

39 months ago

Hi lilmissleexo,

You have great chances of getting in. As someone who is just graduating college, you seem to have solid work experience in the field of social work. Grades are important, but I think life, work and volunteer experience might speak louder than grades when it comes to applying to graduate schools...the advice I received from many people working as LICSW's is to emphasize your volunteer and work experiences (via personal statement) to show a level of maturity and commitment to the profession. Personal Statement is crucially important in the admissions process. Best of luck!

BJ in Queens Village, New York

39 months ago

Congratulations on being accepted. I've recently receives my invitation for the group interview. Could you give some insight to how that went and what was discussed? I am extremely nervous about the next step and would appreciate any advise you could provide.

39 months ago

BJ in Queens Village, New York said: Congratulations on being accepted. I've recently receives my invitation for the group interview. Could you give some insight to how that went and what was discussed? I am extremely nervous about the next step and would appreciate any advise you could provide.

Hey BJ, sure. Basically there are 6-8 applicants sitting around a table and one Hunter advisor asking a bunch of "Why do you want this?" and "What would you do if...?" types of questions. My best advice- answer 1st or one of the 1st! Obviously don't answer 1st each time, that gives an interesting impression, but answer 1st or one of the 1st because there are only so many ways to answer each question and you don't wanna to be the loser who's like "um, what she said..." There was 1 girl who answered one of the last each time and it looked really bad. So speak up and speak confidently. No matter what your answer is, always back it up with a confident tone of voice. Like one guy gave an answer to a what would you do question and the advisor was like "really, you would do that?" and he totally got nervous and took back his answer which I could tell looked really bad and inconsistent. So if you pick an answer, stick with it and back it up- the advisor questions your response not because it's wrong but to see if you're consistent and confident. And also he/she will ask e/o to talk about their experiences- open up and elaborate and be prepared to answer specific questions about your experiences cuz the advisor asks. And s/he is writing down all your answers so get your facts straight! Good luck, it's really not so bad! Hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore q's...

FollowerofChrist in Atlanta, Georgia

39 months ago

Carri in New York, New York said: I have been accepted to NYU's MSW 16 month accelerated program which starts January 2009. I am still waiting to hear from Hunter. I definitely want to do clinical work, which is NYU's specialty. However, Hunter is at least 1/3 the cost of NYU so I am having a hard time rationalizing spending the additional money. I would love any advice. Thanks!

How is the program going for you now?

Kelly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Hey, (especially to BJ and Sara)
I'm applying to Hunter's MSW program and am wondering what the timeline looks like for getting accepted. I see people accepted as early as January (Sara) and have read about people getting accepted in late May. Any idea when I might know? I submitted my application in December and it says "Pending Interview" right now, but I haven't heard anything from them about scheduling an interview. BJ, when did you receive an invitation to interview? Did they email you?

Thank you for any info about the process, waiting in the dark is making me excessively nervous.

BJ in Bronx, New York

39 months ago

new student in Brooklyn, New York said: Hey BJ, sure. Basically there are 6-8 applicants sitting around a table and one Hunter advisor asking a bunch of "Why do you want this?" and "What would you do if...?" types of questions. My best advice- answer 1st or one of the 1st! Obviously don't answer 1st each time, that gives an interesting impression, but answer 1st or one of the 1st because there are only so many ways to answer each question and you don't wanna to be the loser who's like "um, what she said..." There was 1 girl who answered one of the last each time and it looked really bad. So speak up and speak confidently. No matter what your answer is, always back it up with a confident tone of voice. Like one guy gave an answer to a what would you do question and the advisor was like "really, you would do that?" and he totally got nervous and took back his answer which I could tell looked really bad and inconsistent. So if you pick an answer, stick with it and back it up- the advisor questions your response not because it's wrong but to see if you're consistent and confident. And also he/she will ask e/o to talk about their experiences- open up and elaborate and be prepared to answer specific questions about your experiences cuz the advisor asks. And s/he is writing down all your answers so get your facts straight! Good luck, it's really not so bad! Hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore q's...

Th Sara, thank you so much for tour feedback. I am
Not much of a group speaker, even though I'm
Confident about what cones out my mouth. I guess I'll have to prepare myself for a group discussion by practicing at work.

To answer this question, I submitted my application in mid-October...I thought the deadline was November 1st...and on Christmas Eve, noticed the "pending interview" satus. I received my group interview invitation on Jan. 13th!

BJ in Bronx, New York

39 months ago

Kelly,

I'm sorry. I'm sending this post from my phone and for some reason it posted "new students" response and not your question. And "new student".... Thank you!

I do have one more question. To anyone who has been a part of Hunter's group interview, what have been some of the topics you have discussed. Someone told me that they were asked about homelessness and I can't seem to think about anything but homelessness! I'm
sure Hunter is not so focused in this one topic. I'm not looking to study for an exact answers, because I know the interview is based on either you know and have ideas on any given topic, but I'm
Looking for generalizations. Like I said, group discussions are not my forte and I'm just looking to mentally prepare for it.

Kelly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

To answer this question, I submitted my application in mid-October...I thought the deadline was November 1st...and on Christmas Eve, noticed the "pending interview" satus. I received my group interview invitation on Jan. 13th!

Thanks BJ! Make sure to give us an update after you have your interview. Good luck!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.