MSW programs in NY area

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 308)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Kelly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

Kelly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: To answer this question, I submitted my application in mid-October...I thought the deadline was November 1st...and on Christmas Eve, noticed the "pending interview" satus. I received my group interview invitation on Jan. 13th!

Thanks BJ! Make sure to give us an update after you have your interview. Good luck!

Oops, I screwed up the quote marks. oh well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Applicant in Brooklyn, New York

47 months ago

new student in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello I was just accepted to NYU's social work program and they're asking for my resume to submit to the field placement office. To get the best fieldwork options out there, can anyone suggest any tips to include in my resume? Should I specify or focus on a specific skill or objective?

Also, what would be a good resume objective in this case? I'm not looking for a job, I'm submitting my resume to the school to find me a fieldwork placement- what's appropriate to write as an objective in this case?

Please help! Thanks in advance!

Hi! I'm wondering if NYU offers any scholarships to MSW students. Do you know? I'm considering applying but they're tuition is so much higher than the state school options.

BJ in Astoria, New York

47 months ago

This site is so funny. Every time I put in a comment it always displays a different area of NYC...LOL!

To those accepted into the Hunter program, how long after your group interview did you find out you were accepted?

Sara in Brooklyn, New York

47 months ago

BJ in Astoria, New York said: This site is so funny. Every time I put in a comment it always displays a different area of NYC...LOL!

To those accepted into the Hunter program, how long after your group interview did you find out you were accepted?

Hey BJ,like a week and a half after. They say no more than 10 days after your group interview. How was btw?

BJ in Queens Village, New York

47 months ago

Sara in Brooklyn, New York said: Hey BJ,like a week and a half after. They say no more than 10 days after your group interview. How was btw?

Interesting. We were told 4 to 6 weeks.

The interview was really nice and not as nerve wreaking as I thought it would be. The facilitator made everyone feel at ease and my group was great. I have no complaints.

Now comes the waiting part....

JH in Minneapolis, Minnesota

47 months ago

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question for anyone who had their Hunter College interview.

Was there any out of state applicants on the phone during your interview? I am out of state and am waiting to hear when I will be having my phone interview and I am wondering if I will be a part of a group or if it will be one on one.

Thanks and congrats to anyone who got acceptance letters!

danity

47 months ago

Hi,
Congrats on your acceptance! I am just curious to know when
you applied?
Thanks

Sanjchi in Seattle, Washington

47 months ago

Hi all- I just received an e-mail from Hunter College inviting me to the "Hunter College SSW COPD Informatio​n Session & Interviews". Has anyone received similar e-mail and if so, is this a formal invitation to the interview?? It sure doesn't look like it, but I don't want to miss it if it is...
The e-mail is very informal and talks about some optional seminar by a professor and then talks about the interviews at the end of that seminar. I called their admissions coordinator to get an explanation, but they are not responding. Anyone has any ideas?
Thanks

Ann in New York, New York

46 months ago

Sanjchi in Seattle, Washington said: Hi all- I just received an e-mail from Hunter College inviting me to the "Hunter College SSW COPD Informatio​n Session & Interviews". Has anyone received similar e-mail and if so, is this a formal invitation to the interview?? It sure doesn't look like it, but I don't want to miss it if it is...
The e-mail is very informal and talks about some optional seminar by a professor and then talks about the interviews at the end of that seminar. I called their admissions coordinator to get an explanation, but they are not responding. Anyone has any ideas?
Thanks

Hi Sanjchi,
I got same email from school and scheduled for this weekend!!! =(
I also thought it's really informal, but that makes me not to be so nervous about it. haha On email, I had two options of choosing time,(same date) and do rsvp thru website. and it said you can reschedule it if you can't make it. Good Luck!

46 months ago

Hi Ann, thanks for the info. I was able to get in touch with someone and they told me this IS a formal invitation. Go figure. Good luck to you this weekend :)Sanjci

46 months ago

Hi everyone, I got excepetd to NYU's MSW program for fall 2011! Although I'm very happy, I'm scared thinking about how I'm going to pay for it- if I can at all. Since I'm financing 100%, any free money would be appreciated. Anyone has any ideas about good scholarships out there? I just started looking....does anyone have an idea about the tuition forgiveness programs after graduation and how realistic they are?

Thanks

46 months ago

The National Health Service Corps has a loan repayment program nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/. Once you get become a licensed clinical social worker you can agree to work at a job in a 'high need area' for two years and they will pay back up to $60,000 of loans for you. I just got accepted to Hunter and plan on trying to do this once I'm licensed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Kelly,

Thank you for sharing this information, I appreceiate it :) Best of luck with your education!

Sanjchi

EG in New York, New York

46 months ago

Hi everyone. Reading the comments above has only intensified my curosity. I also applied to the Fall 2011 MSW program but have neither gotten an email or "pending interview "status. Patience has never been a virtue of mine so im hoping others, whom like myself sent out the application early january and have heard nothing , are in the same boat as me. ( as many stated less than a month gap from recieving notice). My intentions are to stay positive, however, my nerves are getting the best of me. I was then wondering if anybody can possibly tell me if they no how long the interviews are being conducted or has anyone recieved a rejection email, either way i guess i just have to wait .

46 months ago

Hi EG,

Well, you are not alone in this! I have yet to hear back from the 4 schools I applied to in January as well. I did hear back in an email from Hunter over 3 weeks ago telling me that I am eligible for a phone interview because I am out of state. It's three weeks later and the interview hasn't happened yet. I have called and emailed them way too many times and I've got nothin'! I have heard that these interviews go on for the next few months so you definitely have time to be considered. I know someone last year who found out she had been rejected at the end of February, so if you were denied, your application status would have changed by now. I am not sure if you applied to Columbia, but emails are supposed to come out starting today.

Just know you are not alone and I am equally as anxious as you. I hope this helped.

EG

46 months ago

Thank you JH. To be honest what helped the most was how you " knew someone last year who found out she had been rejected at the end of February, so if you were denied, your application status would have changed by now". But alas you hve also gotten an email from hunter atleast giving you some piece of mind. But its good to know im not alone in this, its interesting how im more nervous about continuing my education then i ever was when applying from highschool. Perhaps im more driven then before but I could have waited until the end of august to get an acceptance notice but today im bitting all my nails off. Thanks again, and good luck with everything. FYI Columbia is beautiful. Im a summer ged instrutor there and i almost applied just to sit under the trees on grass.

EG

46 months ago

on the grass* haha just to get that straigthend out

46 months ago

Hey Everyone,

I had meant to write up a timeline of my application, since that's what I was obsessing about the whole time, but I forgot. Anyway, here it is now.

12/16/10 Application submitted
12/29/10 Last reference is received, application complete
1/25/11 Status changed to 'Pending Interview'
2/1/11 Got an email to schedule my interview
2/14/11 Interview
2/17/11 Status changed to 'Reviewing application'
2/28/11 Got acceptance email

I would bet this time-line is a little faster for me because I applied early. They must get a glut of applications in late January and I would think it would slow things down. Anyway, hope this is at all helpful.

46 months ago

EG,

Got it!

Everyone keeps telling me "it will all work out"...whatever! Who knows, but it probably will.

Good luck!

46 months ago

Hi JH,

I wanted to let you know that I applied to Hunter late January and have been very disappointed by their lack of response to my e-mail and phone calls. I live in Seattle and moving to NYC is a big step in my life. I can't get anyone from that school to answer any admissions or other questions I had.

Here is my timeline:

Applied 1/28 (pretty late)
Received an invitation to a group interview first week of Feb (they gave me less than 1 week notice so I couldn't come)
I followed up with Santiago about getting a phone interview or rescheduling my in-person group interview but have never heard back. It's been almost 3 weeks now.

In the meantime I got accepted to NYU and have 3 weeks to give them my answer. It would be nice to hear from Hunter but it looks like the timing is completely off.

I finally managed to get a live person on the phone at Hunter Admissions the other day and the lady assured me they are in the process of arranging interviews for out of state candidates and that unfortunately, out of state candidates that chose a phone interview are the last ones to be interviewed.

Good luck to all of us.

46 months ago

Hello Sanjchi,

Well you echo my thoughts completely. My timeline is almost identical to yours. I applied to Hunter January 19th and got an email for an interview February 7th.

I was so excited when I got the email, I replied right away am stated that I was an out-of-towner and I would do anything they needed me to do so I could get that interview. Since then, I have contacted them 7 times with one emailed response from Juan Santiago saying "the reason why I haven't reached out to you is because I do not have an awnser, but expect to hear from me sometime next week with the time". I am still waiting.....

I called the Social Work office and they said they no nothing about phone interviews. All I want is an email saying you are not forgotten, just hold on. But thanks for letting me know that out of state people are the last to interview. That's not what I wanted to hear, but now I have some answers.

Congrats on getting in to NYU. It has been 6 weeks and 1 day since my application has been complete so I am kind of thinking I am rejected. Can you tell me your time lime for NYU?

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information!

46 months ago

Hey JH,

Thanks! I applied to NYU the same day as Hunter - 1/28/11. The decision letter was e-mailed to me 2/25/11. It was a Friday, and I think they usually let people know on Fridays. I would not think that you were not accepted ato NYU at this time - some people who were accepted received their letters a week before I received mine (by reading this and other forums) I think NYU is still in the process of sending letters and making decisions.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable here, but I'm not sure that I like how Hunter does thier business and not sure I would even want to go there due to this. If they are treating me like this during application process,(no contact, no response to questions) what can I expect later? Unlike them, both Columbia and NYU have been more than helpful whenever I e-mailed or called.

My advice to you while you are waiting for a decision (unless you are not concerned about financing your education) is to look on NYU's website for scholarships; there are independent organizations that provide some assistance to people. Or look on google. Start aplying now, it will make your life easier once you find out you've been accepted. My fingers will be crossed for you to get in JH. :) I hope you let me know when you do.

Let me know if you have any more questions I'll be more than happy to share my experience as I go though this process.

Cheers,
Sanjchi

46 months ago

Hey Sanjchi,

Thanks for all that advice.

I called NYU a few hours ago and said to them "it's been six weeks, is it safe to assume I have been rejected?" and the woman on the other end was like "No way (she actually sounded sincere and wasn't saying it to make me feel better)....there has been an incredible amount of applicants this year and it is taking a lot of time to get back to people. Some people just need to be reviewed several times....it doesn't mean you are out." She also said many people hear back around 8 weeks, so not to worry. So for anyone who has yet to hear back from schools, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

As for Hunter, what you said is exactly what I have been thinking. Why would I want to go to a school where people seem to be disregarded if they are not deemed a priority? With that said, I have heard that Hunter SSW is a great program and does have really great professors. It is affordable and well received in the social work/mental health community in New York City. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I have heard that the administration as a whole is "terrible". It's strange...I have yet to hear anything negative about the SW program, and yet to hear anything positive about the administration. So nothing is perfect.

Thanks again for all the info about funding. I want to look into that stuff, but it would kill me to do all that research and get rejected everywhere! It is a possibility....

I will let you know if I hear something good and if I get anymore info about our phone interviews with Hunter I will let you know.

Good luck with figuring everything out!
JH

danity

46 months ago

Is anyone out there who has gone or is going to UB School of
Social Work??

46 months ago

Hey JH,

Great news- I'm sure they are really busy at NYU this month. As high as their tuition is (ouch..) they don't seem to have any shortage of applicants. Good for you for calling and asking. I think that in NYC more than anywhere else, if you don't ask, you don't get.

I read somewhere that NYU MSW program has only 39% admission yield; meaning only 39% of students offered admissions to NYU actually accept. There could be many reasons for this.

I think you should stay positive because it could be that they are offering admissions on a "rolling bases" since they never know how many of those admitted will actually accept/reject. Hunter is much more competitive - it makes more sense since tuition is very low comparing to NYU and they can afford to be selective. I don't doubt that Hunter is a great school and it was in my top 3 choices. I think the problem is they are a public school (I love public schools but the red tape is too much to handle sometimes)so there is a lot of red tape bs. going on there. In any case, although I understand that, it doesn't help me feel better about not deserving at least an e-mail to let me know they are aware I exist!

If I get any news from hunter about interviews for ou-of -state candidates I will let you know.

Cheers

Danie in Buffalo, New York

45 months ago

danity said: Is anyone out there who has gone or is going to UB School of
Social Work??

Hi Danity,

I applied for Fall 2011 to UB's School of Social Work. The deadline was March 1 but they
extended it until April 1st.

Have u?

C in Providence, Rhode Island

45 months ago

Is anyone deciding between Hunter and Columbia? I got into both programs and can't decide. Columbia is better nationally ranked but Hunter's competitiveness and inexpensive tuition makes me think I should go there instead. Money isn't a huge issue but if going to Columbia and getting an ivy league education won't make much of a difference , then Columbia's price tag isn't worth it.

sanjchi in Seattle, Washington

45 months ago

Hey C,

I think Hunter is a very good school and well respected in NY. If you are looking to leave NY after school than you might consider Columbia. For example, not many professionals here in Seattle (where I live now) have heard of Hunter...People will tell you that the name of the school and the prestige that comes with it don't matter, but they do. When you are fresh out of school, the prestige will open those doors for you. Later on, it's your experience. This is the advice I received from people in the field and I'm considering it seriously.
If you are staying in the greater NY area, this difference may not matter. Again, thinking about your passions in the social work arena and figuring out what your focus will be (clinical, policy or community) might be a dermining factor in your decision. Best to you,

Sanjchi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TL in Washington, District of Columbia

45 months ago

C-

I am also in the exact same boat. I'm deciding between Columbia and Hunter at the moment...I think if you look only at the education you're getting, side by side they are almost identical. The fields of practice, methods and titles of courses are nearly the same. Anyone active in social work in NYC will tell you that Hunter is the better value for the exact same education. The price tags are incredibly different however- $16,000 a year (and half that for your second year if you claim in-state residency) for Hunter vs $35,000+ a year for Columbia.

The positives I have noticed with Columbia are they are on top of their stuff- they get back to you, are very organized and everything is pretty well laid out and explained. Hunter is more disorganized, and every time I call to talk to someone there, no one seems to know what they are talking about and I never get responses to my emails. Personally, I cannot stand inefficiency so this will be a major annoyance to me if I choose Hunter, but graduating with under $30,000 in debt as opposed to $70,000+ may be worth it.

Columbia also has several options for dual degrees and minors, which may of may not be of interest to you. Hunter only offers one dual degree program in education I believe. A good friend of mine advised me, "If you know you are just going to be a social worker, go to Hunter, become a LCSW. If you want to do things beyond that, like work in a higher level position or another field, Columbia's name and network will open more doors with the same degree." Still, even as someone who does want to do something more than just be a clinical social worker, I'm not sure I can justify paying over twice as much for the same degree. Decisions, decisions....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

Hey C,

I had to deal with this decision last year, so I know this dilemma inside & out... I was accepted to Hunter, Columbia, and NYU and I took a full, stressful 2 weeks to weigh each school and make my decision. The first to go was NYU. A few friends and I were all applying to these 3 MSW programs at the same time- we ALL got into NYU, only 2 of us got into Columbia, and only I got into Hunter. Obviously, that made me lean towards Hunter right away because why should I pay double for the prestige of Columbia's name when Hunter was clearly the one that was harder to get into. Still, I was attracted to the Ivy League name (who isn't?) so I still considered paying $70,000 for it. Almost finished with my 1st semester at Hunter, though, I have to say that I am so happy I stuck with my decision. I love the education I'm getting, everyone is SUPER nice and helpful, I have awesome teachers, and most important- I really feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I will walk away with a masters and absolutely no regrets that it wasn't worth it because it cost me $70,000 in a field that does not guarantee even half that much in this economy... So, that's my opinion from the perspective of a Hunter student who also had to turn down Columbia- I personally am so glad I did, but the key word here is personally... So good luck!

PS- besides for the money, another thing that really helped me decide was utilizing facebook. I went to each school's MSW homepages and messaged a few current students from both Hunter & Columbia. I asked them what they thought I should do and why... In my case, majority said to go with Hunter, but maybe you should ask a few students for yourself...

doccrohn in Jersey City, New Jersey

45 months ago

In my opinion it makes no difference at all...Hunter is an excellent school.

dana legrande in Farmingdale, New York

45 months ago

I've been looking over the recent comments and to be honest, with social work, it doesn't matter which school you attend. It's social work! I went to c.w. post and I loved it...but if SUNY old westbury had social work I would've gone there. I think it's what you do with your degree. You have to be creative to make make money with your license. Personally, I think it's a waste of money to attend Columbia for social work. you're paying so much for the degree, and you are not going to learn everything in school...you will need to continue learning. After graduating from Post n 2009, I'm a supervisor and pursuing another master's in healthcare mgt from stony brook.
Stop stressing ladies!! you will be fine!

rooda33 in Medina, New York

45 months ago

I agree with Dana in Farmdale in my opinion it doesn't matter to a certain extent which school you attend. Bottom line we all take the same exam for license. Which school we attended won't really matter either we are going to learn what is needed regardless of the school we attend and pass the exam or we are not. Here in Western NY the choices are UB (Buffalo), GRC (Nazareth/Brockport), Roberts Wesleyan or SU (Syracuse). I chose GRC for convenience and it worked out fine. I have my masters and my license and I'm practicing Social Work as a Forensic Mental Health therapist for the State and probably making the most money possible in the field in the state of NY outside of private practice. I was fortunate to get the job 7 mts after graduating 4 months after getting my LMSW and believe me which school I went to had nothing to do with it. Try basing your decision on if you want more of a clinical focus or a research focus or if you plan on getting your PhD etc. Good luck I went down this road in 2008/2009 and I'm so glad it's over.

C in Providence, Rhode Island

45 months ago

I do believe there are some advantages to going to certain schools. In my personal case, I want to get my PhD and eventually teach in a university, so I lean towards the more obvious choice of Columbia. I also just got into Fordham- it's a big choice so I just want to know I am making the right one. I understand that it's a personal preference but would like some more insight on the specific programs if anyone has any to give! Thanks :)

45 months ago

rooda33 in Medina, New York said: I agree with Dana in Farmdale in my opinion it doesn't matter to a certain extent which school you attend. Bottom line we all take the same exam for license. Which school we attended won't really matter either we are going to learn what is needed regardless of the school we attend and pass the exam or we are not. Here in Western NY the choices are UB (Buffalo), GRC (Nazareth/Brockport), Roberts Wesleyan or SU (Syracuse). I chose GRC for convenience and it worked out fine. I have my masters and my license and I'm practicing Social Work as a Forensic Mental Health therapist for the State and probably making the most money possible in the field in the state of NY outside of private practice. I was fortunate to get the job 7 mts after graduating 4 months after getting my LMSW and believe me which school I went to had nothing to do with it. Try basing your
decision on if you want more of a clinical focus or a research focus or if you plan on getting your PhD etc. Good luck I went down this road in 2008/2009 and I'm so glad it's over.

Rhoda! Wow....how great! I am so interested in the forensic field! We can exchange personal
Emails and I ask u some questjions about it! I just paid for membership to the N.O.F.S.W.!
Congrats to u on uhr success!

45 months ago

C in Providence, Rhode Island said: I do believe there are some advantages to going to certain schools. In my personal case, I want to get my PhD and eventually teach in a university, so I lean towards the more obvious choice of Columbia. I also just got into Fordham- it's a big choice so I just want to know I am making the right one. I understand that it's a personal preference but would like some more insight on the specific programs if anyone has any to give! Thanks :)

I wonder about the Ph.D because who doesn't want to be called "Dr. Suchandsuch" but I've
Had so many professors that taught us with MSW's! I think they are just adjunct professors
but they must do ok salary wise! I do think that there may be some small advantages, but not big enough to pay $30,000 extra in tuition! I think self-marketing and the connections you create while you are in school, interning/networking is more important. UB's School of Social Work is a good school.....that specializes in its research and social welfare aspects. I want to do clinical work and since this isn't the school's specialization, I have to seek out my possible avenues for the best internship site for me.....U have to be willing to advocate for urself first......I, also, have an interest in forensic social work. I called the public defender's office to set up internship site there.....its really just on you as an individual.

kimsnyc84 in Bronx, New York

45 months ago

With Social Work it really doesn't matter where you get your MSW. What's really important is that you have your LMSW which is what most employers look for when they are hiring you. I have a BSW(Bachelor of Social Work) and work for the Office Of Mental Health for NY state at Mohawk Valley Psychiatric Center and I will telly ou NO ONE cares where you get your MSW. If you look at all of the Social Work openings at the state and even private/non-for profit level, all they ask for is if you're licensed and ANY school as long as it's accredited by CSWE(the accredidation agency that accredidates all MSW programs in the U.S) you can study and take that LMSW licensing exam. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND YOU ALL WILL BE FINE!! DO WELL ON YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENTS as they hold a lot of weight even if your GPA's are low!! I know folks with 2.5 GPAS who have gotten into Hunter, Columbia and NYU MSW programs. How?? A STELLAR PERSONAL ESSAY!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

sanjchi in Seattle, Washington

45 months ago

To JH,

Are you out there JH from Minnesota? I wonder about your story.. did you ever hear from Hunter or NYU, or Columbia?

45 months ago

Hey Sanjchi,

Yes, I have heard back from all three and kept meaning to come on the forum to tell you I heard from Hunter and wanted to see if you did as well so i'm sorry I that never did that. I had my interview via Skype a little over 2 weeks ago. It was an incredibly embarrassing experience and truly an unfair reflection of who I am. I was a mess; I was shaking, stuttering, rambling, not answering the questions asked...I never could have anticipated that was how I was going to respond. I have never been so nervous in my life and literally could not control my mind and body. It was just weird so as expected, Saturday I got my rejection letter. I heard back from NYU and did not get in but did get in to Columbia and the University of Minnesota. I did not accept either offer because both did not seem like the best programs for me and if I am going to have debt I better be thrilled with what I choose. So I am going to do this all over again for next Fall. I've decided to take 2 social work related courses at the U of M and do everything I can to get more experience. I really did not have as much as others, so in the end I think this was the best thing to happen. It will all work out in the end and if I have to wait one more year then I will have to wait one more year.

How about you? Did you choose NYU or wait for Hunter or decide on somewhere else?

Sanjchi in Lynnwood, Washington

45 months ago

Dear JH,

Nice to hear from you and I know you will succeed in your search/quest for the right school. You seem to have the zeal and perseverance to find what you want.

I made a trip to NYC just over a week ago to feel things out, visit each school and make my decision. At that time, I had an offer from NYU and Columbia but no word from Hunter yet. I visited NYU (which was my top choice) and got very disappointed with staff, students and everyone I interacted with. People were less than helpful and for the amt. of money their tuition is I thought their behaviours were a clear indication that I will not be happy there. Besides, they didn't offer me any scholarship money- none, and could not even explain to me what criteria they use for awarding those scholarships. So I wrote that off and went to Hunter to sit in on a class (I was invited by a professor). I found the actual facility (social work) a bit off-putting to me and without wanting to sound like a snob (which I'm not) I need to feel a certain level of comfort and attraction to my environment in order to stay motivated. I did not get that sense at Hunter; besides I was only visiting and to this date, I have not heard back from them about their decision. Very strange!

So that left me with Columbia, and I have to say, a breath of fresh air with regards to professionalism, knowing their stuff and being organized. They were johnny on the spot with my questions and I also attended admitted student orientation while I was there. That day opened my eyes to so many possibilities after Columbia's MSW. I got to see and talk to alumini students who are working in the field now and get an idea on employment situation in NYC.

I'm sorry to hear about your Hunter experience. Seems like that was your first choice along with NYU. Don't be discouraged, I'm sure you'll get in next year. And I'm sure the interview process was a great experience for next year.
It would be nice to stay in touch. Read my next post....

Sanjchi in Lynnwood, Washington

45 months ago

JH,

I ran out of room in the last post. If you decide to come to NY next year or need anything please stay in touch - here is my e-mail

gigi.hope@gmail.com.

Best of luck with classes and applications - you got it!

llmcdavit in Morristown, New Jersey

45 months ago

I am graduating from Fordham in May. Beyond some mishaps with the field placement office, my overall experience has been great. They offer a very flexible class schedule and the majority of my professors have been articulate, dynamic, fair and taught me a great deal. They also are ranked as high as Hunter and NYC (also less expensive than Columbia and NYU).

BJ in Bronx, New York

45 months ago

Hello all,

I wanted to add my two cents on the debate about social work schools
In NYC. I work in a predominately MSW office and each one has their own set of opinions about which school is best, but hands down, every time I tell anyoneat work at work I've been accepted to Hunter, I tend to get a "I wish I gone to that school" or "it's so competetitve, that's so amazing you got in" type of response. Hunter eas always my first choice so imagine my surprise that I got in...my undergrad gpa is not so great. I agree with whoever commented on What you pay for school vs what you get paid when you start working. To me it is not worth dishing out $70000 for a degree to be paid $45-50k when I graduate. At least with hunter, I'll feel like I break even...and with three kids that's a lot for
Me.

future scholar

44 months ago

Hey everyone,
I'm wondering your opinion on UB school of social work as I
am going to attend in the fall.

new york 1 in Whitesboro, New York

44 months ago

@ Future scholar. UB's MSW programis heavily focused on policy. I have a few friends who graduated from their program who wanted to go into clinical social work and thought they didn't get enough clinical practice from the program. Great program if you're really interested in policy

rooda33 in Medina, New York

44 months ago

I have a couple friends who got their MSW's from Buffalo definitely a policy/research focus however they are clinical social workers now and have been for some time. A few struggles with the clinical piece at first but they've been in the came now for a while. If you are looking for a clinical focus you need to change schools however. Good luck with whatever you choose. GRC/Nazareth and Brockport coll program has a strong clinical piece (I'm a recent grad of GRC) and of course Syracuse.

Altereg1 in New York, New York

44 months ago

I was just invited to this weekend's interviews Hunter MSW interviews.

Can anybody explain to me a bit about what the experience was like for them? Were they entirely group interviews? Was there any opportunity for 1 on 1? Did they utilize the entire 2 hour time slot? Did any questions 'throw you for a loop'? What do you wish you had known in advance? How long did you have to wait to hear feedback from Hunter?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you're able to offer!

A

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EG

44 months ago

Hey Altereg1,

Congrats on getting invited to do the interview, I wish you the best of luck. I had mine 2 wks ago, techincally tomorrow makes 2 weeks. Ok, the progress was laid back. Nothing to get all worked up about at all. My interview had 10 particiapnts plus 1 facilitator who kept notes. The note taking was the only stressfull componemt but besides that, like i said, it was nothing. There was no 1 0n 1 and since we had so many people in the group it took the entire 2 hours, however, it went by quickly.
Basic and situational questions regarding how you may handle ethic problems were the buck of the conversations. I recommend you to have a clear understanding on why you want to be a social worker opposed to any other professions. You are not required to answer all questions so choose wisely. Its not how much you say but what you say that matters.
In regards to the timeslot, she told all of us not to expect anything for 2 wks. Well tomorrow makes 2 weeks. If i dont hear anything by then i most likely will call the admissions office. Anyways, Good Luck to you. Hope this helped

44 months ago

Hey,

I interviewed at Hunter back in February and had a very similar experience to EG. The only difference is that we did have to answer every question, and several of our questions were about what kind of populations we wanted to work with and why or why not. Also, for some reason talking in front of a group of 10 people made me way more nervous than a regular interview usually does, and I know I was turning pink and my voice was quavering. I was sure I'd done the worst of a very qualified group. But I got in! So don't worry too much, it seems like they are selective in who they interview, you must have done something right already :)

EG

44 months ago

I also get nervous when it comes to group interviews so what i did was i got there alittle early and introducd myself to the second person to come in.Eventually more and more people arrive , through the elevator as confused as you were, so you introduce yourself too them and create a circle of conversation until they all arrive. Everyone should introduce themselves to relieve the immediate anxiety . Its great to use humor to get more confortable, however, that is my personal defense mechansims :) But by the time the interviewer was ready for us to come in, we are all on friendly terms. It makes it less intimidating when you know all of them are just as nervous as you.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.