Need advice on entry level position

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Woodyscrabshack in Perry Hall, Maryland

55 months ago

Hello,

I need some advice about obtaining an entry level Social Work position working with children (for my wife). She graduated from Salisbury University in May of 2009 with a Bachelors in Social Work. She performed well there, earning a gpa of 3.4 and worked an internship at Delaware Child Protective Services. However, she has still not been able to obtain a job. She has applied to many (probably over 40 jobs) with no success (not even one interview). Is there any advice as to what shes should do to obtain a job (she is going to go back for her masters but this is not an option for at least a year)? Are there any specific types of jobs she should focus on applying for or any sites that cater to entry level Social work jobs? Thanks in advance for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Warren, Arkansas

53 months ago

Tell her to apply for State Jobs which will allow her to work in the areas of Social Work without a license, she can work as a case manager, family service worker,etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CareerGuru in San Francisco, California

53 months ago

She may have to start at the bottom, social worker I/case worker I through her county or state. They promote internally, and as her rank grows more opportunities for moving into her preferred area should arise.

You may also want to consider if she is dotting all of her i's and crossing all of the t's when it comes to applying. In she doing the applying in person? Is her resume flattering enough and does it contain information that will attract HR's attention?

job-search-success-secrets.com/blog/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.