RN, BSN interested in MSW

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Allison in Middle Island, New York

64 months ago

You could work for a behavioral mental health management company and do telephonic nurse/social work support. I believe a lot of these positions are work from home. Valueoptions and United Health are 2 companies that come to mind. I believe the title would be care management where you accessing mental health needs.
However, if you did want to do non profit type of work, be prepared to take a serious pay cut and possibly have many thankless days. Unfortunately in many non-profit jobs , the burnout rate can be pretty high. But if you are not worried about pay and really have a heart for it, you should be ok.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Allison in Middle Island, New York

64 months ago

Check out social service.com or idealist.com to get a feel for the nonprofit types of social work jobs/salaries in your area.
By the way, my opinion above is reflective of how things are in the New York area. I just noticed that you live in the Seattle area. So things may be different there. You could try to find your local branch of NASW (National Association of Social Workers) and see if one of the members could give you a pretty good perspective of how things are locally. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terri M 11 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

I don't have any specific advice, but I just wanted to say good luck to you. I can definitely relate! I was an undergrad BSN student for 3 years and made excellent grades, but my heart wasn't in it. I dropped nursing my senior year, switched to a pretty useless major that will allow me to graduate only a year later, and have now been accepted to some fantastic MSW programs. Best to figure this stuff out sooner rather than later! I sometimes regret not getting the RN though since the pay is much, much higher.

When I spoke with social workers at various agencies about my situation, they assured me that you can do a ton of social work related stuff with just an RN degree. Many RNs work for nonprofits and do preventative care. You may also want to consider a Master's in Public Health. That + your RN would probably allow you to do work similar to social work without the huge pay cut. It would also open doors for teaching at the university level if that's something you're interested in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

qbee_75 in Fort Smith, Arkansas

36 months ago

I have been a RN X 30+ years. Worked TX/OK/AK/UT/FL/AR. Work on M/S, Psych, OB, Peds, Medevacs, a little ER in Alaska for 11.5 years. Seen it, done it, lived it. I would love to work with the homeless. A little salary, a full heart, paperwork is no problem, expect to do a lot of it more, I go thru it like a bulldozer! Get it done! I like working with Vets, moms, kids. At 55 y.o., I want something more that I am not getting "clocking" in. I am licensed in AR/OK now. Want me? I need you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Colomar in Pompano Beach, Florida

35 months ago

I am a MSW student and almost done with my first year. However, I feel a little disappointed with the program and very scared and worried about my future earnings. So far, I spent already 20K. Should I go ahead and finish this program and spend more 20K or drop it and go to nursing school? Doing the nursing program I will spend less money and will have much more opportunities to get a job after graduating. Also, I know the salaries for nurses are much higher.Please, help me!! I do not know what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

35 months ago

Colomar in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I am a MSW student and almost done with my first year. However, I feel a little disappointed with the program and very scared and worried about my future earnings. So far, I spent already 20K. Should I go ahead and finish this program and spend more 20K or drop it and go to nursing school? Doing the nursing program I will spend less money and will have much more opportunities to get a job after graduating. Also, I know the salaries for nurses are much higher.Please, help me!! I do not know what to do.

I would encourage you visit the nursing boards. Also, check out the comments from new nurse graduates........it is a myth that new nursing graduates are a premium. There is no nursing shortage any longer like back in the day. Some have to take jobs where they can find them. And salaries for nurses are not always high, it depends on the job they hold. If you are truly passionate about nursing and understand the demands of the job and the responsibilities.....to include the fact you have the lives of patients in your hands, I say go for nursing. I would highly encourage you to talk to nurses and review the nursing boards, to include the board "CON of being an RN" lol!

Best wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Vancouver, Washington

18 months ago

AD in Seattle, Washington said: hi everyone,
I have been an RN, BSN for nearly 5 years and am considering a career change. I have always been interested in MSW but my mom always said, it doesn't pay well. Right now I make a nice RN salary (i.e., I can live comfortably all while saving 2K a month for travel, house, etc) but my heart just isn't into it anymore. I know I'd cut my salary in half if I made the switch, and you know, that might not be so bad. I took a few BSW courses during nursing school and thoroughly enjoyed those classes. I wanted to change majors but I was 2 semester away from getting my BSN so...my mom refused to pay for a 5th and 6th year of private college tuition. I know there are many similarities between nursing and social work in regards to burn out and thanklessness. I am wanting to get away from the medical/life or death/page the doctor stat business and get more close to the patient emotionally. Blood draws and inserting catheters always get in the way for me. What are people's recommendations? Are there social work jobs that an RN could do? Sounds like a lot of these case manager jobs have that option in their job requirements. I dont want to do case management or therapy persay, but am interested in mental health , public health, and community work/activism, like working for NARAL or a homeless shelter. I don't want to be a nurse at a homeless shelter because frankly, blood and guts are really starting to gross me out!!!

I too want a change,I have been a nurse for 23 yrs and think alot of my knowledge and skills would transfer,do you have any programs youve looked into?I have a BSN and have done everything but land d and surgical nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.