Social Work Abroad FAQ

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

sharewic in mobile, Alabama

55 months ago

hi,
i have noticed that most of the positions for US social workers in the UK are related to children services.
I am more interested in adults, substance abuse,and adult mental health. Are their opportunities in this area as well.
i am looking to apply as soon as i finish my MSW.it will be at least 3 yers before i finish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ryan Robinson in Toronto, Ontario

55 months ago

Hello,

Yes, currently the greatest need in the UK is with-in Children & Families Services which is also on the National occupational shortage list. There still remains opportunities outside Children Services in a variety of disciplines such as the ones you mentioned.

What it comes down too is your eligibility for permission to work in the Country.

With Children Services being on the UK shortage list, it is not only easier to qualify for sponsorship but allows the employers to fast track the sponsorship process. With this said outside of Children & Families Services the chances of obtaining sponsorship is very slim.

So in order to be an attractive candidate with-in other Social Care disciplines you would need to obtain an open visa/permission such as the Tier 1 visa, Ancestry visa, Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa, Spousal, EU passport or be able to obtain British citizenship. These routes all provide you permission to work for any employer without the need of sponsorship. Not only does this open up more opportunity in a variety of disciplines but it allows you to be considered for permanent and locum (Contract) roles.

I hope this helps :)

Ryan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rolando Rojas in Hayward, California

55 months ago

Ryan in Toronto, Ontario said: My Name is Ryan, I'm an International Recruitment Consultant with HCL Social Care( www.hclsocialcare.com/ )

Right now there is a tremendous amount of opportunities Abroad in the United Kingdom, with all this opportunity UK employers are extending their search beyond their borders. With this growing need there comes questions. I'm here to share information and help out the community, so please feel free to send me a message either in the forum where everyone can benefit or via email ryan.robinson@hclsocialcare.ca

Topics of discussion can be anything, I've added a few starters below:

- Immigration: Visa's, Right to Abode, Ancestry, Etc.
- The UK Social Care market
- The process (How it works)
- UK Tax system
- Permanent Vs. Locum (Contract work)
- Relocation advice and resources
- Regulatory Bodies (GSCC)
- Etc.

I had a few questions regarding qualifying with the GSCC. I'm currently working with youth who are going to emancipate from foster care in San Francisco. I have a BSW from San Jose Statee Univeristy. I've worked with youth in juvenile detention centers and in the mental health field for a combined 5 years of experience. Given my education and experience, do you think I would be able to qualify with the GSCC and work for a council in the UK working with children? Either children in need or another division?

Thanks!

Rolando

55 months ago

Hello Rolando,

For social workers trained and qualified outside the UK all you need is your BSW and a minimum period of 130 days of supervised and assessed practice as part of initial training or completed after qualification. So you will have no issues registering with the GSCC, which entitles you to work as a qualified Social Worker in the UK.

In order to answer your question about whether you can find a placement with-in one of the UK councils, I would need to know slightly more information outside of work experience to determine what Visa/permission you are eligible to obtain. Basically whether you require sponsorship or not greatly influences the amount of opportunities available to you.

If you would like to explore which visa's/permissions you are elegible for send me an email.

Rolando Rojas in Hayward, California

55 months ago

Hi Ryan,

I think I may require a sponsor for a visa. I really would like to work for a Council in London or one of the bouroughs out side of London. I've looked at the bourough of Wandsworth it seems like a great council to work for but I'm not sure if they would sponsor me for a visa to come out an work for them. I have one year working with youth in mental health as a counselor, 2 year working with you in detention centers and 3 years working with youth in foster care who are about ot eamncipate from care.

What are your thoughts?

Rolando

Ryan Robinson in Toronto, Ontario said: Hello Rolando,

For social workers trained and qualified outside the UK all you need is your BSW and a minimum period of 130 days of supervised and assessed practice as part of initial training or completed after qualification. So you will have no issues registering with the GSCC, which entitles you to work as a qualified Social Worker in the UK.

In order to answer your question about whether you can find a placement with-in one of the UK councils, I would need to know slightly more information outside of work experience to determine what Visa/permission you are eligible to obtain. Basically whether you require sponsorship or not greatly influences the amount of opportunities available to you.

If you would like to explore which visa's/permissions you are elegible for send me an email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ajay chopra in India

55 months ago

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for sharing such useful information. I was interested in social services especially for kids since my graduation but could not take it further due to some personal problems.

I am 27 now and wants to contribute to the society now. could you tell me if i could join the initiative if i don't have a professional qualification/experience in social services

Thanks
Ajay

55 months ago

Rolando Rojas in Hayward, California said: Hi Ryan,

I think I may require a sponsor for a visa. I really would like to work for a Council in London or one of the bouroughs out side of London. I've looked at the bourough of Wandsworth it seems like a great council to work for but I'm not sure if they would sponsor me for a visa to come out an work for them. I have one year working with youth in mental health as a counselor, 2 year working with you in detention centers and 3 years working with youth in foster care who are about ot eamncipate from care.

What are your thoughts?

Rolando

Hello Rolando,

Generally at least 1-2 years of direct & recent experience in Children service (Child Protection, Permanency, Children in Need, Foster care, Etc.) is desired when searching for a sponsorship. This isn't to say that you may not be an attractive candidate to some councils with a strong need and a large vacancy rate.

My suggestion is if you're looking for a sponsorship is to contact a recruitment firm which specializes in UK Social Care. In the mean time, if this is something you have a strong desire to do in the future I would suggest trying to obtain more experience with-in the disciplines I mentioned above.

You're more than welcome to send you resume over to me and I can assess your likeliness of obtaining a sponsorship.

P.S Google can be a great ally when searching for recruitment agencies.

Ryan

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.