Social Work in Mexico City

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Alexislotus in Mexico, Mexico

50 months ago

Hello all,
I hold a MSW from an American school, and am now living in Mexico City.
I have had a very hard time finding employment here.
My Spanish is at an o.k. level, but not perfectly fluent.
Does anyone have any information on organizations that would hire based on my background? Any suggestions are welcome!
Thank you,
Alexis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Natas in Brooklyn, New York

44 months ago

Do you have a work permit? how ok is ok? Aside from your degree, what experience do you have?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Prague, Czech Republic

41 months ago

Alexislotus in Mexico, Mexico said: Hello all,
I hold a MSW from an American school, and am now living in Mexico City.
Does anyone have any information on organizations that would hire based on my background? Any suggestions are welcome!
Thank you,
Alexis

Alexis,

Just wondering if you have found any work in Mexico City?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kara in Surrey, British Columbia

31 months ago

hi
in mexico there is high unemployment and not the same kind of infrastructure we take for granted in north america and certain parts of europe. i would recommend that you start a business for foreigners and do some counselling. even though people get very relaxed on holidays you could find a location where there are x-pats living there a good part of the year... like ajijic jalisco. i am not saying that is the place for you... i would go to a larger community if possible. you may want to connect with some other wellness businesses as well. if you can say that you are hiring/training mexicans to do some of the work needed, then you should be able to get the work visa you need. also, you would need to have some capital.. probably about 10 grand. i love mexico but worked there doing massage and teaching english. considering that most mexican families live on about 400 bucks a month...a modest income is still considered to be a success there and i don't think foreigners should be greedy. unfortunately, greed is almost respected here. usually i don't give people advice how to make it there because everyone and their dog wanted info when i lived there... but no-one offered to take ME for tacos. comprende??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marcelo in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

Greeting Everyone -

I am planning on moving to Jerez, Zacatecas and wondering if anyone has experience with starting a bed & breakfast or small boutique business. Our family owns a house in the center of Jerez about 7 rooms w/a center courtyard & kitchen. My plans are to convert part of the house into a small hotel for gay friendly travels, and offer cooking lessons, and teach english on the side. I am fluent in Spanish and English and have gone there recently. It has always been a dream of mine to do something like this and want to try it out. Any suggestions out there.

Thanks,
Marcelo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

angiee in Mexico

6 months ago

Alexislotus in Mexico, Mexico said: Hello all,
I hold a MSW from an American school, and am now living in Mexico City .
Thank you,
Alexis

Hey Alexis
My name is Angie and I'm currenty in Mexico city with Husbands Family.I think
You sould seek employment at a school or a treatment program and see how that goes.. maybe get some leads for other jobs...let me know how it goes good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.