Social Work in South Africa

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 623)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Bienkie in Parow, South Africa

79 months ago

Hi there

Social Work in South Africa is really difficult seeing that it is mainly developmental and that there is not much opportunity for therapeutic work. Does anyone has a colleague or know somebody from SA that is currently working in your country ? Would love to hear what route they took to get there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (266) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Vie in Vienna, Austria

78 months ago

hello Bienkie

in which field u are working in SA?

Greetings from Vienna/Europe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

prince mbewe in Ndola, Zambia

77 months ago

am interested to work as social worker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Vie in Vienna, Austria said: hello Bienkie

in which field u are working in SA?

Greetings from Vienna/Europe.

I am working at a child and family organisation, doing mainly statutory work. Social work in SA is mostly generic, meaning we do a little bit of everything. And because we are a developing country, community work and community development plays a big role.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Vie in Vienna, Austria

76 months ago

@ Gorret mwangani: but its also important to ask, WHY the helpers loves to help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rachael Dyson in Orlando, Florida

76 months ago

Hello,

I am also trying to find work abroad as a social worker. I graduated with a masters in Counselor Education and am currently employed in an acute crisis stabilization unite a large mental health corporation. I have worked and currently work with several social workers performing the same functions and more. My interest in relocation would be to the United Kingdom. I have done some looking and come across the General Social Care Council for the UK but am unsure if this is the proper way to obtain work in the UK.

If you have any advice of knowledge please feel free to share.

Thank you,

Rachael Dyson

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ntandoyakhe ncube in Alice, South Africa

76 months ago

social work seem to be an interesting course as am still studing it hope you enjoy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Rachael in Orlando, Florida

76 months ago

Bienkie,

Thank you for your help. I will registered with the GSCC first. I have also been looking at an acengy called uk pro. I am planning on hopefully moving my career overseas in a year.

Best of luck to you too. My email is Rdyson5@gmail.com

Rachael

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Stellenbosch, South Africa

74 months ago

hi,
Thanx very much for ur advise.
Rebecca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

gorret in Midrand, South Africa

74 months ago

Nduna
its good to know that you practicing yuor
proffesion in the uk however i would realy want to know you got there cos i would want
to work in the uk aswel. am a zambian social worker by proffesion from the copperbelt whose currently in south africa and i would love to move forward.
Kind Regards to my fellow social workers.
Gorret.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

vivian in Pretoria, South Africa

74 months ago

hi Benkie could you assist me if you know organisations currently recruiting social workers.i hold a bs hons in social work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

vivian in Pretoria, South Africa

74 months ago

Am 26 yrs young man and am looking for anything in the NGO sector.I dont mind any state as long as is within SA.

Vivian

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Therese in Bergen, Norway

73 months ago

Rachael in Orlando, Florida said: Bienkie,

Thank you for your help. I will registered with the GSCC first. I have also been looking at an acengy called uk pro. I am planning on hopefully moving my career overseas in a year.

Best of luck to you too. My email is Rdyson5@gmail.com

Rachael

Hi Rachael,
I have a question for you. I am also trying to move abroad and work as a social worker. I am looking into working in UK or the US, mostly thinking about Florida. I am a Norwegian citizen residing in Norway and got my BSW degree in Norway. Do you have any advice for me how to go about getting a social worker job in the state of Florida?

Therese

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Antwerp, Belgium

73 months ago

I'm alsoo a social worker but i started to ask myself some questions about it...

In every system there are people who can not handle the rules and speed of the mechanism that makes the community to life.
So why does social work not fight against the raison that a lot of peoples go and stay down in a system?
When they just help a man and trie to get them back on track, then they help one man. But that does not help other peoples to keep theirselfs up in the system so others will fall!!!
When you reed some folosofy, you will see that there are not a lot of books writing good words about social work.
You alsoo had to know that when you are working as a social worker that you realise the fact that everything that human beings do, like charity, that it is done out for their our own saik!! Most people feel good while doing something good, so get yourself ready to think if you are doing social work out for your own person or if you really want to put your hands in the fire to fight for those who don't have the chance to practise charity!!?

Blessings!!

I don't blame social workers really not,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Loriaan Smith-Taylor in Potters Bar, United Kingdom

73 months ago

I worked in Cape Town as a social worker for two years before coming over to the UK. I will be here almost four years in November. I want to return to South Africa with my skills and knowledge but want to know how i go about? i miss social work in South Africa!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Loriaan Smith-Taylor in Potters Bar, United Kingdom

73 months ago

Hi Bienkie

I must say that the problems in the UK are different than the problems in South Africa. I miss the people the most and the fact that in SA there is real problems. People in the UK are very ungrateful.I hope i make sense? lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

erica Kleinhans in Germiston, South Africa

73 months ago

HI YOU GUYS OUT THERE. i AM A SOCIAL WORKER CURRENTLY WORKING IN Gauteg,BUT IS LOOKING FOR A POSITION BACK HOME IN THE WESTERN CAPE. DO YOU KNOW OF ANNY VACANCIES. THANKS . ERICA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Erica

I saw this weekend in Die Burger positions advertised with Badisa in I think Tygerberg and two other places. Also in Moorreesburg there was a post available. I suggest that you go onto Media 24's website and look at the career section. Otherwise post your e-mail address and I can try and forward the details to you.

Bienkie

Bienkie in Bloemfontein, South Africa

73 months ago

Natalia

I think your first task would be to find out what the registration requirements are if you qualified outside South Africa. By law you will not be able to work unless you are registered and I think no employer will be willing to appoint you if not registered. Maybe you should define "working in a therapeutic way" because depending on in what field you are working in South Africa, you will get an opportunity to work therapeutically with your clients. In SA we tend to do everything - meaning that if you end up in a statutory position, you may also have to do family reunification services with the parents. In that sense you would work therapeutically. I must warn you though that even although social work is a scarce skill in SA, you will not earn a very big salary! If you want to work developmentally and do community projects, then I would think SA is a good place to start. We are moving more and more towards working more developmentally in trying to prevent more statutory work.

Please feel free to ask very specific questions - I will see what I can answer. I can always ask my colleague which is working as a social worker for the past 20 years!

Bienkie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Natalia Spearman in London, United Kingdom

73 months ago

Hi Bienkie

Thank you for your reply.

The kind of work I am looking for is family work, so parenting assessments, rehabilitating children from foster care to home, etc, but in a therapeutic way, rather than the straight forward statutory way in which social services do it here in the uk. For that reason, working in an assessment centre, as psychodynamic as possible, is much more my thing. I eventually hope to study as a systemic family therapist further down the line so i am looking for as much experience as possible in that sort of field.

do you know how i could find out about registration requirements for south africa?

many thanks

Natalia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bienkie in Johannesburg, South Africa

73 months ago

Natalia

You can contact them at:

Phone: 27 12 329 9164 Fax: 27 12 329 9160

Email: mail@sacssp.co.za I think best would be to contact them and ask specifically for info about registration if you are not qualified in SA. The webpage can be found at:

www.sacssp.co.za

Bienkie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yanga in Bellville, South Africa

72 months ago

Hi I am a final year male social work student and I am also looking for a job anywher in South Africa or abroad, any advice?

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bienkie in Pretoria, South Africa

72 months ago

The best way is to keep an eye on the local newspapers, also on the internet. Maybe not a bad idea to contact the Department of Social Services directly. Look into a telephone directory to find their contact details.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I thank you very much for your positive respinse and I will definately do that. I am wishing you all the best for your future. May God Bless you

Moipone in Johannesburg, South Africa

72 months ago

Im interested to enroll for Social Work cause and i real dnt know where to start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Atalli in Salt Lake City, Utah

72 months ago

[I red your comment. I have a Bachelor's in Social work and I am interested in going to work in South Africa. How possible would that be, how easy/difficult would it be to find a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jacqueline in Alice, South Africa

72 months ago

im a third year social work student looking for internship at any social work agency in south africa. im currently studying at the university of fort hare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Atali in Provo, Utah

72 months ago

It seems like we are looking for the same type of work. hum, I do not really know where to start. SOmetimes Universities have connections. DId you look at other departments if they have contacts in South Africa?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Yes, I am glad to know that there are people out there who can be concern about your needs even if they do not know you. Anyway it is true that some Universities are having connections. I have looked at other departments such as correctional services, health etc, but at the moment I haven't recieved any feedback from them. You mentioned that you are also looking for the same job, I am wishing you all best with your job search and the only answer to that is prayer

Thanking you in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Moipone in Johannesburg, South Africa said: Im interested to enroll for Social Work cause and i real dnt know where to start.

Okay it seems to me that you need some information on the criteria used for selecting social work students. You can just approach the University or college of your choice and find out whether they do offering social work course or not.If they do, you can request thier application form and apply for it. As far as I understand, you have to have a matric exemption. But if you do not have it, you will write a test called TELP test (at UWC),I am not sure about other institutions. If it is a college, you have to make sure that it is accredited and offer a four year social work degree.You can also apply online. This is what I know and I am not expecting this knowledge to be applicable to everybody as variuos institutions oparates differently.
I hope that this info can be useful to you Moipone.

I thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Msmoove in Alice, South Africa

72 months ago

I hold a Bachelor of Social Work Degree and an honours in Psychology, registered with the GSCC and newly qualified. What i would like to know are my chances of securing a job in the UK?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Andy in Alice, South Africa

72 months ago

Atalli in Salt Lake City, Utah said: [I red your comment. I have a Bachelor's in Social work and I am interested in going to work in South Africa. How possible would that be, how easy/difficult would it be to find a job?

Social wprk in South Africa is a shortage skill so getting a job wont be very difficult for you provided you have the necessary qualifications. you also need to register as a social worker with the SACSSP and then you can take it from there. But you you should be aware of is that the remuneration is poor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Irene Forcheh in Gaborone, Botswana

72 months ago

Hello everyone,

I hold an MSW qualification from Botswana, and I am interested in persiuing further graduate program in social work at an university in SA that has
The South African Council for Social Service Professions accreditation. Does any one has the list of accredited instituions offering graduate programmes? I don't seem to find the list on the SACSSP web site.
My email is forchehnia@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Phumzile Immacilate Masilela in Pretoria, South Africa

72 months ago

Bienkie in Parow, South Africa said: Hi there

I am currently working in Stellenbosch which is not that far from Cape Town. I know that our organisation has a vacancy in the Somerset West office, so maybe if you are really interested, I can forward your CV to the relevant people ? Did you do SW previously in South Africa ? Send me your e-mail address so I can give some more info.

Bienkie

Hi Bienkie i will like to give you my address so that you can give me more information about your organisation since i am interested. At the moment iam doing my last 4 years degree in social work so next year i need a job. so you can email me at this address 2555718@uwc.ac.za

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Phumzile Immacilate Masilela in Pretoria, South Africa

72 months ago

Hello Everyone

my name is Phumzile i am from South Africa, Johannesburg i am currently doing my last year in 4 year social work degree. so i am looking for a job next year if anyone know where can i find a good job around in South Africa can e-mail me at my e-mail 2555718@uwc.ac.za. Please i am realy desparate. i can work in children services, Eldery care, young offenders, drug and alcohol abuse and adult & children with disabilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Spiwo Mkusa in Lawn, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

Bienkie in Parow, South Africa said: Hi there

Social Work in South Africa is really difficult seeing that it is mainly developmental and that there is not much opportunity for therapeutic work. Does anyone has a colleague or know somebody from SA that is currently working in your country ? Would love to hear what route they took to get there!

If you have some college or technical education you can easily get scholarship to study abroad and improve your chances of getting a better job. Just go to USA information cervices in your country and get education financial information.
My regars. Spiwo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ea in Pretoria, South Africa

72 months ago

Hi there.
We spoke earlier Bienkie, and I am now in PTA and looking for job in or around cape town. I will get my registration in about 3 weeks. Hope to hear from you.

Ea (eaelsbol@hotmail.com)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cleopatra in London, United Kingdom

71 months ago

Hi lovely people.
I have been in the UK for almost 6 years, for four year i was a social worker and the last two years i have been an Assitant Team Manager. I received my SW degree from a South African University and also I hold a post graduate diploma from UK university. I am now looking at returning home end of this year.All i can say about the UK is i have gained valuable experience but the weather is just depressing. Any advice from those at home would be much appreaciated. I also registered with the Council back at home (SA). My e-mail is londonmini@hotmail.co.uk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chris mkusa in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

It is great to hear that you have gained more knowledge and experience in your field. Indeed, the advancement in your field will make you more marketable at home. The experience abroad is a plus in the market place back home. So jobs will be there for you. Through your connections abroad you could start your own community work based organization back home and seek support both from private and public sector.

God bless you.

Bienkie in Pretoria, South Africa

71 months ago

Hi there

The best would be to look at this site www.careers24.com/
I think although Social Work is a scarce skill in SA, there are not that many jobs available and also the payment is considered very low in comparison to other jobs.

If the weather is the main attraction why not try Australia instead ? There are plenty of opportunities there and the weather is much the same.
www.horizonemployment.com.au/

All the Best

Bienkie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bienkie in Johannesburg, South Africa

71 months ago

Sorry guys, that link for Australia is:

www.horizonemployment.com.au/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Rosebank, South Africa

71 months ago

Hello:
Yesterday I happened along this forum and was very glad to do so as I have a number of questions about social work in South Africa. I recently relocated here from the United States after marrying a SA citizen. I’m writing here several of my questions but would really appreciate any details anyone has of experiences of registering with the SACSSP and also insights as where to best find jobs around Cape Town.

1. How long should I expect the SACSSP application take to be processed?
2. Is there anyone specific within SACSSP that you have found especially helpful and could refer me to speak with?
3. Any suggestions about jobs while I’m waiting? Would a NGO be able to hire me as a social worker without being registered? (I am also a certified primary school teacher, is anyone knowledgeable about the SACE process? I have already been approved by SAQA.)

Thanks so much! Amanda

Nduna Biyase in London, United Kingdom

71 months ago

Hi Guys

My comment would slighly differ. I am concerned about the Social work recruitment in SA, especially in the Public Sector. It is noticeble that the state hardly recognise and consider those workers who had left the Country to get more skills and experties from other Countries.
I personally workedin South Africa for more that six years both in the Private and Public Sector as a qualified Social Worker. I then left the Country, when I came over here (UK)in 2004.
Last year there was a time when I really nconsidered relocating back home.
I startedv applying and managed to send a number of applications, gues what! there was no response or consideration for an interview.

Does this mean:
-We are now diskilled because we left SA
-We are not good enough for practice in the Country
-Are the recruters having hard feelings against us

Amazingly most of the legislation and some practice guidlines especially regarding Child Protection and children in care is beeing modeled from Countries like UK.
For political correctness the govt goes to the media preaching that Social Workers left the Country and are refusing to come back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Hi there

I think the truth of the matter is that Social Work and the Department of Social Services are in dissaray. I am working for a NGO and the relationship between us and the department is unfortunately not good. For example, Social Workers working in the government earns a starting salary of plus minus R20 000 more than Social Workers working for NGO's for a number of years. So, the payment of subsidies never or seldom increases but the demands on the NGO's increases. All NGO's are subject to a monitor and evaluation process which is fine, but also during this process they start to have unreasonable demands and generally, one is left with the feeling that the government does not appreciate the quality of work the NGO's are doing. So, people's morale are very low, and a lot of people goes overseas to earn a decent living.

I can honestly not see why anyone would want to come and do Social Work in South Africa. Maybe if it is a lifelong dream I can sort of understand it, but otherwise I can't see the reason.

Also, Social Work in SA is quite limited - you will most certainly end up doing statutory work. SW in any other field is very scarce and with the Employment Equity Bill, you have to fulfill certain criteria otherwise your chances are nill in order to get a position.

Sorry, guys I really do not want to sound negative - I would like to think of myself as a realist, not a pessimist.

For those still wanting to come and work in SA, please feel free to ask questions. It is best if you ask specific questions so we can try and answer those!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tez kempener in Maastricht, Netherlands

71 months ago

Hello,

Im a social worker, graduated 3yrs ago. Im currently working with kids with behavour problems and psychiatric problems. Im looking for a job in druban,south africa.
anybody any idea where to look?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

chris mkusa in Lebanon, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

Go to Durban news in the Internet and find job listings. Go on a vacation there and personally look for a job. There are jobs if you are qualified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tez in Gulpen, Netherlands

71 months ago

chris mkusa in Lebanon, Pennsylvania said: Go to Durban news in the Internet and find job listings. Go on a vacation there and personally look for a job. There are jobs if you are qualified.

Hi, im qualified and planning a trip to durban beginning of next year. How you mean, go to news in internet and find job listings? Im a bit of a dummie when its comes to finding jobs on the internet...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lulu in Waterford, Ireland

70 months ago

Hello everybody i'm new from the site.I'm qualified social worker work in uk and ireland, married and have my children but i want to come back home now so how much is a salary for a social workers in NGO.

Thanx God Bless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

natasha cliff in Johannesburg, South Africa

70 months ago

Loriaan Smith-Taylor in Potters Bar, United Kingdom said: I worked in Cape Town as a social worker for two years before coming over to the UK. I will be here almost four years in November. I want to return to South Africa with my skills and knowledge but want to know how i go about? i miss social work in South Africa!

hey loriaan, can you please let me know how did you go about getting the job in the U.K. im currently studying social work, its my first year, and im planning to go work in the u.k or canada when i graduate, my email add is natasha.cliff@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tez in Gulpen, Netherlands

70 months ago

Hi Natasha,

Im looking for a job (social work) in south-africa, durban.
Can u tell me what i need 2do 2get a job there n maybe some tips where i can search?

Thanx!!!
My email is: tessa_kempener@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.