Social Workers: What's it like to get 3000 supervised hours for LCSW and Spanish...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Nicole in Euless, Texas

31 months ago

Quick background: I'm 30 (and very realistic on job availability and pay:D), married, 2 kids.

I really hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but what is it like to be supervised for 3000 hours? What does it mean to be supervised? Is some one always with you, watching you for all those hours? As in, what is the day to day life like when you're getting your supervised hours for your LCSW. I'm a 3rd year social work undergrad student in Texas. I'm not sure I want to go in this direction (LCSW), but maybe I will, after grad school.

While I'm at it, how fluent in Spanish do employers want you to be when they request bilingual English/Spanish applicants? I'm bilingual in English and German (which isn't helpful, but it was my first language), and Spanish is a struggle. If I can read/write at a 6th grade level, is that enough? Learning another language is proving difficult. My Spanish is "Dora the Explorer" Spanish at the moment:)

Thanks for any help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amerae in Pasadena, California

30 months ago

Hi there, I would like to know the answer also to your first question! I am going to be entering an MSW program this fall, so I know I want to go down this route but I'm not sure what it's like either: ie whether or not you're watched all the time etc. However I do know that when an employer requests a bilingual applicant English/Spanish, they do mean fluent if not otherwise stated. Anytime you see "bilingul applicants only" or "bilingual English/Spanish" they do mean that you should speak fluent english/spanish. Now, that being said, it's mostly important to be fluent in day to day conversational spanish than it would be to know every single word in the dictionary. Basically if you feel comfortable speaking about a person's personal life/issues/case documentation/family/health/resources etc. then I'd say you're fine, otherwise you'll benefit greatly from listening to some tapes or studying...which is what I am trying to do!:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tripplesix in Washington, District of Columbia

29 months ago

When you are working on your supervision hours, it may go a little something like this:
3,000 translate into approximately 2 years and if you look at any licensure requirements i think it will blatantly state both those figures (at least in the MD/DC area it does). You will not be followed daily at all. The person who provides your supervision will most likely NOT be your supervisor. You will perform your regular job duties wherever you work. I can't quite remember if it is an hour a day or a certain amount of hours/week. But that is how it goes and you will document the hours, almost like a timesheet. You might find someone within your job who is willing to provide the supervision. Or you might find someone outside of your job. A lot of times, if you find someone outside of your job, you may have to pay.

The purpose of meeting with the person providing supervision is to ensure that your work with clients, your mind and your process is on the right track. This is different than your work supervisor. Your supervisor reviews your specific work and has to ensure that your work follows the rules, policies and requirements of the job. The person who provides your supervision is specifically working with you around the clinical social work process; drawing from your work.

It is a little something like that. I have not gone through supervision because i do not want a clinical license. I have an MSW and am about to get my LGSW (kind of by force; even though it is helpful to have it). But i am very familiar with this as i just finished grad school in 2009, and many people I graduated with have or will be going through the supervision process.

And what Amerae said about the bilingual thing is absolutely correct. There are some jobs where it's necessary... period. So if they state it, they mean it.

I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tripplesix in Washington, District of Columbia

29 months ago

Ummm...
just to clarify... i think i intertwined 3 sentences/thoughts and it might read confusing.
--You work your regular job (whether you are part time or full time) and do your regular job duties. You will work for your supervisor.
--Another person will provide your supervision (whether in your workplace or out of your workplace).
--you will meet with the person who provides supervision either 1 hour/day or a certain number of hours/week (something like that).

And by the way, your question is not stupid. It's good to find out as much as you can about the field you may be getting involved in.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.