Thinking about an MSW...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Michael in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

58 months ago

I just finished with six months of therapy. My therapist was a great help to me, and she re-ignited my interest in the therapy profession. Since High School I have been interested in psychology and therapy, but I never wanted to go to medical school.
I've been thinking lately about getting an MSW, like my therapist has. We've talked about the classes I need to take, how long it will take, etc. I was just wondering what people think of a former therapy patient actually becoming a therapist. Like I said, it's an interest I have had for many years, but I only recently started thinking seriously about it. I want to have a job where I help people, not just fight to make money my whole life.
I'm living in Florida now, but may eventually move home to New York. I'd like it if I get an education that I could apply in either place, no matter where I end up.
Any advice from anyone about any of the above? Any thoughts of any kind?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Anyone?

Hank in Pensacola, Florida

57 months ago

Dear Michael,

Go for it! Why do you need the opinions of others to encourage you to follow your dream? The world needs more social workers, but more importantly male social workers. Many therapists have their own therapists they go to for help regularly while counseling patients of their own, so it isn't unheard of for a former therapy patient to become a therapist. Therapists are human too and aren't perfect. I'd be more worried about an individual who has serious issues they haven't resolved, yet is determined to become a therapist and help others when they haven't taken care of themselves first. Good luck.

57 months ago

Thanks Hank, it's nice to finally see someone get back to me. I've thought a lot more about it since and I think I'm going to do it. I don't go back to school until May, but as of right now I do intend on going as far down that path as I can. I've heard about the serious lack of male social workers, which really surprised me for some reason. Anyway, thanks a lot!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.