How can I get licensed?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

djr10 in Tallahassee, Florida

29 months ago

I'm having a lot of difficulty. I recently earned my MSW degree and it took me 3 months to get a job offer that was even close to my field. I'll be working as an outpatient case manager for a psychiatric facility. The problem is that there simply does not appear to be any jobs or opportunities out there that would allow me to start working towards a license. Every position I applied for that had the face-to-face psychotherapy needed for the hours to obtain a license required at least two years of post graduate experience.

The job offer I did get requires only a bachelors degree and my Masters degree did nothing to help me to get the job. It is almost like I wasted my money by even going for an MSW.

How can I get licensed if I can't get into a position that will allow me to accumulate supervised hours? What options do I have? Should I just start thinking about a career change? Is there anywhere in this country where someone fresh out of grad school could start working on their license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MombytheC in Panama City, Florida

24 months ago

Same issue here but I have a MSW and 6 years of experience as a LMSW in Mississippi. In Mississippi, you could sit for an exam right after graduation and be licensed, then go on and do your two years of supervision and become LCSW if you wanted to do strictly clinical work. During the time I took off to raise my family, apparently MSWs are now taking BSW/case management positions and all MSW positons are being filled my LCSWs. Hardly any room to find a place to earn your supervision. :( I hope someone responds helpfully to your post. Let me know if you find anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shelleylcswdcsw in Newtown, Connecticut

23 months ago

Here in Connecticut you can start your supervision once you have your MSW. Please contact me if you want more info on this topic. Shelley

djr10 in Tallahassee, Florida said: I'm having a lot of difficulty. I recently earned my MSW degree and it took me 3 months to get a job offer that was even close to my field. I'll be working as an outpatient case manager for a psychiatric facility. The problem is that there simply does not appear to be any jobs or opportunities out there that would allow me to start working towards a license. Every position I applied for that had the face-to-face psychotherapy needed for the hours to obtain a license required at least two years of post graduate experience.

The job offer I did get requires only a bachelors degree and my Masters degree did nothing to help me to get the job. It is almost like I wasted my money by even going for an MSW.

How can I get licensed if I can't get into a position that will allow me to accumulate supervised hours? What options do I have? Should I just start thinking about a career change? Is there anywhere in this country where someone fresh out of grad school could start working on their license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.