certificates in mediation or addiction counseling?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

danielled in Austin, Texas

39 months ago

hello,
I appreciate any help/info I recieve from experienced sw's in this forum. I am considering going back to school with my eye on LCSW and MSW degrees. There are a few different options in my city and I am not sure which one will help get me where I would like to go. My passion lies in womens health issues esp. abortion rights and family planning advocacy; that being said I also could see liking a clinical track for mental health issues. I dont think I have enough volunteer experience and or work experience to apply directly to UT Austin's MSW program so I was considering getting a certificate from my community college in addictions counseling or one at a 4 year college in mediation(basic or family) to help get internship experience, letters of recommendation, theory under my belt. Does anyone have any advice on if this is a good place to start? There is also a MAHS program in my area which is one of the best in the country but I cant seem to find out info on the topic of which is the better degree. Opinions? Knowledge?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

39 months ago

danielled in Austin, Texas said: hello,
I appreciate any help/info I recieve from experienced sw's in this forum. I am considering going back to school with my eye on LCSW and MSW degrees. There are a few different options in my city and I am not sure which one will help get me where I would like to go. My passion lies in womens health issues esp. abortion rights and family planning advocacy; that being said I also could see liking a clinical track for mental health issues. I dont think I have enough volunteer experience and or work experience to apply directly to UT Austin's MSW program so I was considering getting a certificate from my community college in addictions counseling or one at a 4 year college in mediation(basic or family) to help get internship experience, letters of recommendation, theory under my belt. Does anyone have any advice on if this is a good place to start? There is also a MAHS program in my area which is one of the best in the country but I cant seem to find out info on the topic of which is the better degree. Opinions? Knowledge?

Thanks!

I would suggest trying to narrow down what your focus is. For example, what do you want to do with women's health? family planning? what exactly do you want to do in these areas? This is important because when you apply for the MSW program, they want to know you have some kind of grasp on what you want to focus on and your goals. For example, addictions is a whole field by itself.....meaning that while I have been a social worker for eight years, I have no experience in addictions. So.....if you want to work with individuals who have addictions, you may want to consider sitting in on AA meetings.......contacting agencies who provide counseling for addictions and asking to meet briefly with one of the LCSWs there. When you call, let them know you are interested in the field of addictions, and wanted to get a brochure and some information on the skills/training you will need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.