help!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

phisigsweetheart in San Bernardino, California

39 months ago

So, I am a 3 semesters away from getting my degree in sociology with a minor in gerontology, and I want to go into social work. I wanted to major in SW but my school does not offer it. I want to figure out what it is exactly I want to do in the field before I go get my masters, but there are so many options and I can't make up my mind. I jus do not think that I will be hired anywhere with a bachelors :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Las Vegas, Nevada

39 months ago

No. You have to have a degree in social work to be eligible to take the test for licensing. The one good think about the license is that nobody else with another degree can work as a social worker therefore keeping social work a specialty. You can get your Masters in social work and take the test. But definitely not without some degree in social work. There are numerous on line social work schools, but check and make sure they are accredited by the CSWE (Council of Social Work Education), or it won't count after all your hard work and money spent.

tripplesix in Washington, District of Columbia

36 months ago

Ok, i have to say that unfortunately social work is not a specialty. Getting a clinical license allows you do perform clinical social work duties, including diagnosing and/or therapy. The thing with social work is that many people, as well as other social science professions practice it; they just can't have the actual title. That's where other titles come into play like: "Casemanager" or "Family Worker" or "Community Whatever" or "Whatever Support" or etc. That's all.
You do not need a license to go into the field of social work. Although a license is very beneficial; but there are licences before the clinical license, so.....

I will be honest though, you may be able to get an entry level position but it just depends on where you look. You would need to look for "degree in social work or other social/human sciences." But also know that requirements within the social work/social service field are increasing, so that is something else to think about.

36 months ago

Ok, i have to say that unfortunately social work is not a specialty. Getting a clinical license allows you do perform clinical social work duties, including diagnosing and/or therapy. The thing with social work is that many people, as well as other social science professions practice it; they just can't have the actual title. That's where other titles come into play like: "Casemanager" or "Family Worker" or "Community Whatever" or "Whatever Support" or etc. That's all.
You do not need a license to go into the field of social work. Although a license is very beneficial; but there are licences before the clinical license, so.....

I will be honest though, you may be able to get an entry level position but it just depends on where you look. You would need to look for "degree in social work or other social/human sciences." But also know that requirements within the social work/social service field are increasing, so that is something else to think about.

36 months ago

36 months ago

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.