How much do LCSW's make? Stable job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Sunny in El Macero, California

37 months ago

*How much do LCSW's make? Different sites are saying different things.
I want to work in California.

*Is there job security in this field? How likely is to get laid off if you don't have your own private practice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

37 months ago

Sunny in El Macero, California said: *How much do LCSW's make? Different sites are saying different things.
I want to work in California.

*Is there job security in this field? How likely is to get laid off if you don't have your own private practice?

Hi Sunny...........it depends totally on the agency you would be working in. Salaries do vary, which is why you will see very different information. It depends on the sector (non-for-profit vs. profit) as well. Personally in looking for employment in the past I weighed salary with benefits (health benefits, especially). There will not be a one answer for salary and benefits, because it really does depend on the agency. Also, salary balanced with cost of living is important too.

There really is no job security in any job position or field, which is why if you are interested in a field, go for it!!!! Tomorrow is not a promise for any of us, so enjoy doing what you want to do!

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sunny in El Macero, California

37 months ago

Thanks socialwkr for the reply!!!!!!!

What can the job security for a LCSW be compared to? More than a teacher, but less than a registered nurse?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

37 months ago

Sunny in El Macero, California said: Thanks socialwkr for the reply!!!!!!!

What can the job security for a LCSW be compared to? More than a teacher, but less than a registered nurse?

Sunny, what I like about the social work degree, is that we can work in different fields (administration, health care, schools, colleges, teaching, research, state government, etc). The job security in nursing also varies.....I know nurses who lose hours in hospitals when the hospital census is low, for example. Last year, in Missouri, hundreds of teachers were laid off in Kansas City due to budgeting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.